• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

You're better off. Just enjoy Frenda's lower body.
Oh I know. Have no plans to actually watch it.

Yes. Seen those.
Most of her art of Pixiv.

Best episode, best bust, best character. Ridget is the best.
You seem to have confused Ridget for Melty. Fear not though, I am here to guide you back into the light.

So I just learned something new. Itano never worked on Eureka 7. It's just that his artstyle is so intrinsically linked with the TV series, I always assumed he worked on it.
Itano's influence far outreaches the anime he's worked on and for what it's worth there are Itano Circuses in so many shows you'd never think all of them were done by Itano.

Jex

I'm somewhat mixed on the whole Tsubasa Tiger arc. The pacing was fucking godawful and needed to be trimmed like a motherfucker. There is also some lazy animation bits along with the soundtrack really being middling. That said, the underlying themes of the arc are actually quite fascinating. I might be taking it too far but it's a rejection of the pure waifu thing going around in otaku circles. Tsubasa is afraid of letting her emotions taint her because she then wouldn't be viewed as pure in the eyes of Araragi but this whole arc is about her coming to terms with that and realizing that a person not only shouldn't but can't live that way. Emotions bottle up and they will vent one way or another. I think there is also something to be said about noting the difference between attraction and love. Loving someone means accepting their whole self even if it doesn't match your preconceived notions of who they should be. A large part of this arc is that Tsubasa didn't have someone like that and so created her persona around being attractive in this shallow sort of way. This was a really great arc with some solid character development and analysis.

Problem is that it took 5 episodes to get here when 3 could have just as easily got the point across. Still, this conclusion was probably the 2nd best or the best episode in the franchise.
You're right, they probably could have trimmed the pacing if they trimmed some of the dialogue, but considering that the show is basically nothing but dialogue what should you trim? What's non-essential? Some of it is probably/definetenly set up for later events in the series and the rest of it is character building. I don't know if it's SHAFT's fault that the pacing is so wonky when I really feel that Nisio Isin is the one whose getting more indulgent as the series expands. Remember when an arc was two episodes long in Bakemonogatari? That felt about right but the whole thing has become a lot fatter now.

As always though, I watch this series for the characters and the dialogue and that's still pretty good, despite the aforementioned flabbiness of the script. As you point, this arc was about the examination and rejection of the 'pure waifu' character. Nearly every arc in the show is about the examination of some cliched character type and that's one of the reasons I enjoy watching the series because it's very clearly a commentary on stereotypes. Of course, it also engaged in absolutely shameless fanservice so it's kind of an odd mix.

/XX/

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Dennou Coil] 06
bllGK5b.jpg
All the megane talk puts into perspective how much of this is child's play --you would get fooled with all the Satchiis going around and the mysteries of cyberspace. This episode had a much more relaxed feeling because of that,
excluding car accident drama and little kids almost getting rolled over
Suddenly, old hags.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For once I win the time zone lottery - I got to sleep in AND eat my breakfast while they massacred Moonlight Densetsu.

As ducky says, though, we've known MomoKuro were doing the OP/ED and that it would be a worldwide broadcast for a long time. I guess it's good to know a rough air date, but with so much still up in the air (no seiyuu for Usagi as yet apparently!!!!) I just don't think they have any other information for us at the moment.
Wasn't Mitsuishi and Furuya returning one of the first things announced?

cnet128

Banned
are those gatari shows worth watching? Or smut gifs enough?

WATCH THEM. For the love of god, just watch them. It's only one of my favourite franchises ever.

The lewdness isn't even the best part, the best part is the dialogue. Though there are an awful lot of things to love in the series.

Monogatari 5-

Absolutely fucking fantastic. When did Ararararararararagi become cool?

Araragi has always been cool. Though since I'm reading Kizu at the moment, I'm tempted to say that was the point where it happened. Chronologically speaking, at the very least.

Why are you so shocked? She's like the second best girl in the series!

And by second-best what you mean is worst. Though being the worst girl in Monogatari still makes her better than the majority of girls in most other things. Requoting correct rankings for correctness:

Mayoi >>>>>>> Karen > Tsukihi ≥ Kanbaru ≥ Shinobu = Nadeko > Senjougahara > Hanekawa

All the girls are good, but Mayoi is just on a whole different level of perfection.

Though as I read through the novels, I'm becoming tempted to move Kanbaru further up the list.

You're right, they probably could have trimmed the pacing if they trimmed some of the dialogue, but considering that the show is basically nothing but dialogue what should you trim? What's non-essential?

A decent deal is non-essential. Not every line of dialogue is the same in importance. Saying "but this show is all dialogue!" doesn't mean anything really, the ways to improve the pace is the same in that in other shows, films or books. Just because it's all dialogue it doesn't mean part of it could be trimmed, that part over there could be condensed, and this part over here is reiterating what we know so it's also can be cut, and that part is the character going in circles to it could be changed. Etc.

Monogatari - 5

A jump up in direction, visual composition and general quality, with a nice climax for the character, which makes this arc redeem itself a bit. Alas, the resolution is the expected,
Araragi helps against the spirit being, and Hanakawa will try to be more human, including feeling love, sadness, envy, etc, stopping with luck spawning more apparitions.
and more importantly, it was due since lots of episodes ago.
The resolution of her arc, even if it was for us viewers so simple, had been coming from a dozen of episodes ago, so when it finally happens, I was more "It was time already! fuck" and less "oh soo beautiful, sniffff /tear". The pace of the arc definitely could be better, all this could be condensed in three episodes and not in five. And even in three episodes they would have time to make witty lines, long monologues, necks almost breaking in weird posses, etc, it's not like there was a ton to tell in this arc.

Servant Service - 5
Somehow Lucy is even dumber than the rest of the cast, funny because at first she appeared to be the normal one and the others the oddballs. The supervisor is pathetic, her sister is annoying (though that's the point) and the Hasebe's sister was amusing. At first I also believed he was her!

Hunter x Hunter - 91
Good episode, shit has hit the fan, etc. I read the manga, but even then I tensed up when the King appeared and the whole situation changed.

Shingeki no Kyojin - 17
Ohh very good episode. I didn't notice any problems in the production, in fact it all looked specially sharp, the sound design was also good, the way they showed the formation used and why was slick, and the animation in the action bits was spectacular. Not only that, the way they started to lost control as unpredictable things happened and the plan falls in danger was all well directed, tense when it had to be tense, dramatic when it has to be (the deaths, the almost deaths, the screams) and it's also intriguing of why it's all happening, the misinformation spread among the troops and who are the traitors.

Neko (White) in three episodes?

I would say the last episode had exactly the right pacing, so it would mean two episodes for all the content of the other four episodes. Well, I can't see how it could work as three episodes arc.

Nekomonogatari (White) is the slowest arc of the Monogatari series with a higher focus on Hanekawa's characterization than on the conflict aka the Tiger.

Neko (White) in three episodes?

I would say the last episode had exactly the right pacing, so it would mean two episodes for all the content of the other four episodes. Well, I can't see how it could work as three episodes arc.

Nekomonogatari (White) is the slowest arc of the Monogatari series with a higher focus on Hanekawa's characterization than on the conflict aka the Tiger.

Hanekawa's characterization is clear from before, it was already done is past *monogataris, in fact there is nothing new in that regard here (up until the end), so there is no need to use up so many episodes on hers.

BluWacky

Wasn't Mitsuishi and Furuya returning one of the first things announced?

There appears to be some confusion about this, according to this article (I can't find any reference to Furuya anywhere, I guess no-one cares about poor old Tuxedo Mask...).

One of the reporters today asked whether they'd cast Usagi yet and they said they hadn't, so I'm guessing Mitsuishi really isn't confirmed as yet. She still seems to voice Usagi for adverts, though, so who knows?

Hanekawa's characterization is clear from before, it was already done is past *monogataris, in fact there is nothing new in that regard here (up until the end), so there is no need to use up so many episodes on hers.

Neither Kizumonogatari, Tsubasa Cat or Nekomonogatari (Black) cover Hanekawa's perpective. We only know the fact that her personality is fake.

The entire last part about her decision to grown up would be completly baseless if neither Nisio Isin nor Shaft invested some time into her characterization.

cajunator

Banned
Monogatari 5
8BO49VKl.jpg

Nyan/10, Ani-nyan of the Nyear.

But really, and I'm sure most people will spin this as an insult, but Shaft finds a way to do so much with so little. The Tarantino-esque intro montage over a scratchy recording, the actual confrontation, the big catharsis... it just all worked so well. I just enjoy watching this show because of how it all comes together, and even though I can see the potential problems with the show, for me, I'm able to love this franchise as unconditionally as Tamayura.

Fucking bravo, Shaft. Bravo.

Those Monogatari catgirls just do something to me. Oh boy do they.
NYAN NYAN

It's a joke because he looks and sounds like a girl.

This post reminds me how freacking unsettling Kino was to me. There was something inherently creepy about the show atmosphere/sound I could never shake off.

Yeah it can be a pretty unsettling show sometimes. Especially due to the often disturbing subject matter. Particularly because it reflects frightening truths about humanity. Such a goooooood show. SOSOSOSOSOGOOD.

wonzo

Banned
Golden stuff is really whats ruining anime. Like who the fuck has that fetish? Most stuff is alright but that is wholly unnecessary.
Huh, you find puke cute but you're gonna draw the line at a good old fashioned golden shower? ಠ_ರೃ

cajunator

Banned
Huh, you find puke cute but you're gonna draw the line at a good old fashioned golden shower? ಠ_ರೃ

I dont like puking. Its gross. Just two circumstances I have seen where its depicted cutely. in anime form and one real life situation because it was a girl I liked.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal 105

vzgVOsbl.jpg

CG DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS
is that the current duel disk ? What the heck is this design ? this might seem silly but seeing that shape you really think they went out of ideas

Monogatari 5-

Absolutely fucking fantastic. When did Ararararararararagi become cool?
A long time ago.
Now i can't wait to know what the heck was happenning during those events on arararararagi POW.

lol railgun

gv057KZ.gif
Anime gave me knowledge on aphrodisiacs.
Thanks anime !

fertygo

Titan 17

Hot damn, what happening to the staff?
Are they pulling all of their last life energy to make this episode? because this is truly good.

Neither Kizumonogatari, Tsubasa Cat or Nekomonogatari (Black) cover Hanekawa's perpective. We only know the fact that her personality is fake.

The entire last part about her decision to grown up would be completly baseless if neither Nisio Isin nor Shaft invested some time into her characterization.

There is no special insight or twist when we see her personality from her point of view, it's just exactly how we knew her before.

cajunator

Banned
Love Lab 5

So I can't help but notice that the odd numbered episodes seem to always feature better animation than the even numbered ones. Good to know.

Orange > Blue = Red > Green >>>> Brown.

So that means next episode will look terrible. RIP even numbered Love Lab ep.

Fate//Illya- 4

6a6e346d-ee03-48a8-bbe3-a508c1cb5944_zps14cfbc9c.jpg

Goddamn at that action sakuga. If there was less 3D beam spam, that would have been worthy of the title Mahou Shoujo Itano Circus Style.

This show is deserving of a much better art style.

servant x service 5

hmmmm....

hmmmm...

office relationships nope. glad everyone i work with are like as old as my dad and are dudes.

developer life.

My office life is pretty crazy. Tonight they were watching some Key and Peele videos on youtube and cracking dirty jokes and generally causing a ruckus. This is a room full of men and women too. Everybody has a great sense of humor and works well in a noisy environment. Its pretty much a perfect laid back environment. Makes the stress of work so much easier to deal with.

cajunator

Banned
I feel bad for the people in the Toonami thread, wishing for any non-Kirito, non-villain male to have any kind of real role in the story.

Its like watching a train you know is gonna fly off track and you cant do anything about it but watch it happen.

I was hating SAO early too. Don't understand the people who only hate it later.

I liked it for 5-6 episodes. It started off promising and went quickly to hell. Lisbeth and Silica made it better for a bit but then they just got tossed aside.

Lisbeth is overrated. Soggy bread in a pile of shit.

This is cruel to say but at least shes just soggy bread.

Narag

Super Robot Wars OG 3-17

Just started watching this series yesterday. It's a bit goofy, but it's not a bad mecha fix while waiting for a new Majestic Prince episode, or Valvrave to come back in the fall. The mech designs don't really seem to be one of the strengths of the series, though. They seem to run the gamut from average to ridiculous, but there aren't many (or well, any) that are truly memorable or iconic. But it's entertaining for what it is.

That said, after watching so much within the last day, I see robots when I close my eyes.

First series is uch an abomination. Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector comes through though.

Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter 29
guiltice_by_tristtrist-d6gla1u.gif

The event I wanted finally happened and it was as good as expected. Guiltice was quite good and had a nice scene, I kind of want it as mush as Raibird.
Just need to see a Guiltice hi-ougi (final burst) like everyone else. Which on that line looks like Raibird may have a new one next episode...its going to be depressingly awesome based on the preview

Surprised they couldnt tell that Eraser Queen was Saki...

servant x service 5

hmmmm....

hmmmm...

office relationships nope. glad everyone i work with are like as old as my dad and are dudes.

developer life.

Devellopper life too.

My team is like 1/6 female & out of the 5/6 male , half are in the thirties ( like me )
BUt yeah you're right same work relationships are a big no ... Too much risk of the private life going in the public life.

Way too dangerous....

Kazzy

This is cruel to say but at least shes just soggy bread.

She's good, relative to her surroundings. The faintest of praise, so I don't think anyone is itching to see a Lisbeth spinoff.

...Right?

I just joined a discussion about Sword Art Online!?

*purges*

Midonin

Tekyuu 17 had so many moments that it's tough to choose which one to start from. The chicken/frog gag was low key for this series, and Kanae's "Buster Sword" was amusing, but it's tough to top anything when the episode ends with aliens crawling out of everyone's bodies. Yuri thinks it's a dream, but this show's so divorced from the laws of anything but comedy that they probably could be.

Naptunia the animation - 04

Still entertaining , still fun to watch , even if this time i got a little dose of DRAMA

But damn if this anime isn't a big set of fanservice for those who have played the game.

Hyperdimension%20Neptunia%20The%20Animation%20-%2004.jpg

argh the painfully days of using internet on a 56k modem .... waiting 20 sec for a page to load completly ...argh the memories.

Anyway , great episode even if it was cliché as hell. Can't wait for next week.

Jex

Monogatari - 5

A jump up in direction, visual composition and general quality, with a nice climax for the character, which makes this arc redeem itself a bit. Alas, the resolution is the expected,
Araragi helps against the spirit being, and Hanakawa will try to be more human, including feeling love, sadness, envy, etc, stopping with luck spawning more apparitions.
and more importantly, it was due since lots of episodes ago.
The resolution of her arc, even if it was for us viewers so simple, had been coming from a dozen of episodes ago, so when it finally happens, I was more "It was time already! fuck" and less "oh soo beautiful, sniffff /tear". The pace of the arc definitely could be better, all this could be condensed in three episodes and not in five. And even in three episodes they would have time to make witty lines, long monologues, necks almost breaking in weird posses, etc, it's not like there was a ton to tell in this arc.

I used to think like you. In fact, I had the same argument with Nisemonogatari except that I was taking your position and firehawk12 was taking my position. However, things have changed since then:

- I've come to accept that Nisio Isin is a man who can't control himself but, for those who like his work that's part of the charm.

- I didn't really care about Araragi's incestual relationship with his sisters but I do care about the characters in this particular series.

I know those aren't particularly good reasons for accepting sloppy pacing but I really don't think you can magically thin the story by trimming this or that conversation.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The production vales of Monogatari 5 definitely did not match up to that of the action sequences of Nise. There was a lot of very lazy static tweening (moving an object from point A to point B without changing the sprite) and characters mostly just stood around.

fertygo

The production vales of Monogatari 5 definitely did not match up to that of the action sequences of Nise. There was a lot of very lazy static tweening (moving an object from point A to point B without changing the sprite) and characters mostly just stood around.

They already meet their quota after the opening sequence, I gladly accept it though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They already meet their quota after the opening sequence, I gladly accept it though.

That's true, that opening sequence.

I really liked the way it matched Hanekawa's OP in style.

Jex

And the production values of Nisemonogatari didn't, as a whole, even live up to the low bar set by Bakemonogatari (even with the infamous snake arc). It's all been downhill since the beginning!

LordCanti

I must be on crazy pills, because I think the Monogatari has had a great style and has looked good for the entire run.

LOBOy63.gif

Now if only GIFcam would cooperate with me. I don't think it likes the show very much, because it introduces odd artifacts no matter what I do.

Genshiken Nidaime 05:

That cockblocking bastard. Madarame almost scored ;_; He was so close nyan. He'll have blue balls for a year.

Tenumi

Banned
Gee... so much hate energy in here. I don't get it... I just don't get it...

Does it really matter what other people watch? Does people need to insult and ridicule those that are watching what entertains them?

Sometimes I wonder why I post here...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
errrr I don't think anyone
except firehawk <3
has a problem with people watching SAO/etc, but negative opinions about shows should still be allowed...

Narag

Gee... so much hate energy in here. I don't get it... I just don't get it...

Does it really matter what other people watch? Does people need to insult and ridicule those that are watching what entertains them?

Sometimes I wonder why I post here...

Bloodfeuds are what they are. One day, rivals Trejo and cosmic will come to blows over Deadman Wonderland then possibly become allies against some greater threat after they've spoken through their fists per shounen law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom