• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
LWA

I know everyone's watched this already so I'll spare you all the gushing praise and get straight to what really matters.

60248593tuuzk.jpg
> *

Now to donate all my yens to the LWA2 Kickstarter.

cajunator

Banned
Gee... so much hate energy in here. I don't get it... I just don't get it...

Does it really matter what other people watch? Does people need to insult and ridicule those that are watching what entertains them?

Sometimes I wonder why I post here...

Its not so much that people are judging whos watching it but more lambasting the show itself, which is the right thing to do in this case.

VWKa7ux.jpg

Nah, I mean like the weird thing happening on the cheeks here:

T27SVER.gif

I'm sure I need to flip a setting somewhere.

HNNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

So what was that Sailor Moon thing people were talking about last night? Was it nothing? Cause it sounded like nothing.

I guess it was. Doesnt seem to be any excitement for it. Whatever it was.

Why does he have a manatee on his shoulder?

A tiger silly.

LWA

I know everyone's watched this already so I'll spare you all the gushing praise and get straight to what really matters.

> *

Now to donate all my yens to the LWA2 Kickstarter.

Congratulations on making the correct choice!

LordCanti

Uchouten Kazoku 05

I can kind of see where it's probably going
she either accidentally ate the hotpot with the Dad in it and now she feels horrible, or she helped him escape and can't say anything
but this really is either the best or second best show of the season thus far. The animation remains fantastic as does the writing and the direction. I can't think of anything to criticize it for, which is rare.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Uchouten Kazoku 05

I can kind of see where it's probably going
she either accidentally ate the hotpot with the Dad in it and now she feels horrible, or she helped him escape and can't say anything
but this really is either the best or second best show of the season thus far. The animation remains fantastic as does the writing and the direction. I can't think of anything to criticize it for, which is rare.

Not enough episodes.
Not enough benten.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Perspective is hard.

I'm not expecting a great deal of animation from SHAFT but I have come to expect them to step up their game when it counts. The "fight" between Cat and Tiger would've been one of those moments, in Bake or Nise, that would've received the star treatment, even if it was only for a few seconds. But here we just get Precure level tweening.

I suppose I shouldn't admit that I'd be fine if there were never any fight scenes in the series at all. lol

Uchouten Kazoku 05

ZdBNw6dl.jpg

This show continues to be amazing. I'm really warming up to Benten now and she is definitely a fantasizing character for this show. The little story there was pretty cute as well.

cajunator

Banned
Uchouten Kazoku 05

ZdBNw6dl.jpg

This show continues to be amazing. I'm really warming up to Benten now and she is definitely a fantasizing character for this show. The little story there was pretty cute as well.

This show is on my watchlist. Its getting way too much positive talk not to check it out.

Narag

It should be illegal to adapt mangas by great artists.

Are those goofy big headed characters in the manga? Kinda hoping it's just some anime conceit to make everyone else look more "heroic"

edit: actually looking at the manga, I'm not so sure it's a straight adaptation?

Kurita

Are those goofy big headed characters in the manga? Kinda hoping it's just some anime conceit to make everyone else look more "heroic"

edit: actually looking at the manga, I'm not so sure it's a straight adaptation?
Since it's a manga drawn by Tetsuo Hara there are a lot of grotesque characters along with the hyper bulky dudes.

Zw2ko0P.jpg

And the token loli appears

Mushibugyo 17

Jinbei idiocy finally crossed it for me from laughable to annoying.

Was glad to see his naviety really biting him in the ass, but its sad knowing he's not going to learn anything from the experience.

Go_Ly_Dow

Silver Spoon 1

That was really entertaining.

I love eggs, but also have a mini phobia of them like the main character :/

Cashew Sins 22

Doing this one ahead of time but
of course blood on silverware will end up getting you killed. Silly Ladle.

Despite the ruin happening, Dio the Walnut understands the meaninglessness of immortality when he realized what he exists for
and rusts slowly as Cashew is getting healed.

Luna is just so damn creepy though
It's like, she "killed" as her older self, but her new self doesn't, but they're both creepy, and it's rather sadistic, of eternity not being sugoi.

cajunator

Banned
Sometimes I wonder if Japan will ever hit a threshold of cuteness. But I dont think its possible. they just keep making things cuter and cuter.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya 04

o1Pyva8l.jpg

Still silly. I was equally impressed that using the Archer card summoned out an actual bow.

The action wasn't bad and I did like the way to counter not being able to fly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Monogatari is all about the writing anyway.
I find the writing itself exceptionally poor for the format. It is meandering, circular, and the dialogue completely lacks bite as pitiful nothings are shot back and forth. The tiger has just generally made for a terrible verbal sparring partner. His ideology is unflinching, and childish in a one-note pattern that leaves engagements with him to be painfully droll. It lacks back and forth or revelations that are personal or thoughtful.
On a grander level, Monogatari feels increasingly at odds with its intersection of the abstract and the real. During the ultimate confrontation Hanekawa never conceptually embraces envy as a piece of her being. For me the scene simply felt at odds with itself. Within the world Hanekawa is trying to act selflessly to save those around her, but on an abstract level she is trying to incorporate emotions often considered ugly into her being. At no point is the tiger really portrayed as a piece of Hanekawa, and even its actions that are tied to her are passed off as coincidental.

Then I guess I just have loose ends. Like...why is Araragi able to see a manifestation of Hanekawa's thoughts? How does him slaying the beast symbolize appropriate character growth, particularly when he just kind of appears from the ether?

While watching the show I feel little reverence for the original text. It mostly just feels like a very awkward and unnecessary translation into another medium.

Jex

It certainly does feel perfunctory now; I mean, the show looks like this a good portion of the time:

And if people enjoy the writing, that's fine, but it's possible to take a good look at just what went wrong, too.

Now now, they had to use the long shot their to emphasise the emotional distance between ourselves and the characters. Totally.

Mushibugyo 17

Jinbei idiocy finally crossed it for me from laughable to annoying.

Was glad to see his naviety really biting him in the ass, but its sad knowing he's not going to learn anything from the experience.

you can bet he will stay the same character now untill the very end... because that was make him jinbei.

Jex

This is from the newest episode of Uchoten:

Just random pics, too. Not that I'm expecting shaft to hit the kind of visual competency expressed by this show, but avoiding basic failures in composition would be a good start.
You're right, of course, but it's a little unfair to even begin to compare a show directed by a Production I.G. veteran whose been in the industry for years with some kid at SHAFT who makes everyone ramen and occasionally storyboards the odd scene. It's also worth pointing out that particular episode of Monogatari suffered pretty badly from a lack of cohesion as the montage in the beginning felt obviously very different to the rest of the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom