• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one likes me when I'm excited anyway. So why bother.

I like you when you're excited! You're one of the best sources I have for knowing what to check out.

Something which might be of interest to those watching Rozen Maiden as well is how each of the respective anime adaptations show the scale of the dolls. Comparing the first anime to the current you can see the dolls are smaller sized now and that Jun's room is much less cluttered.

In the 2004 version, Shinku looks too big for her box.

I think the emptiness of Jun's room in the newer version nicely reflects the emptiness of his life, that's only filled by the appearance of the dolls.

I wouldn't say it's totally ludicrous. Kawamori has done a few bits of mecha design for Bones before (notably Eureka Seven), and the other staff are all Bones regulars. Unlikely, maybe, but not ludicrous :)

Ludicrous may have been an exaggeration, but it seems most like a list of big names some guy slapped together, as opposed to our all but firm knowledge of Sato and Yamamoto's involvement thanks to tweets of Romain and Bahi.

Thanks Firehawk

Okay since Pyscho pass is getting a 2nd season I've decided to watch the first season (last time I stopped at episode 6). Is this series worth it?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Thanks Firehawk

Okay since Pyscho pass is getting a 2nd season I've decided to watch the first season (last time I stopped at episode 6). Is this series worth it?

It suffers from the problem of having like.... 1/6 of the show being good. The rest being... not so good lol.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Thanks Firehawk

I liked it. It was pretty good.

(also I'm not sure if anybody ever broke it to you or not but the word is spelled psycho).

Thanks Firehawk

Its has its moments but ends up feeling smart and memorable. Series is worth it for merchandise alone, so much good stuff.
tumblr_mr2khdhGfX1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Caesnd

I think Bahi JD worked on The Two Queens for Kawamori which is why they met, although he is apparently on Space Dandy as well.

I totally forgot about that show. Wouldn't rule out Kawamoris involvement in any Sci-Fi nowadays, but perhaps it is unlikely after all.

Is the exact time of Watanabes panel still unannounced?

I liked it. It was pretty good.

(also I'm not sure if anybody ever broke it to you or not but the word is spelled psycho).

yes I've had numerous pm's about it lol. I'm going to watch it. Don't know why I stopped watching it, remember it having some cool ideas and the characters were likeable too.

Holy crap it has 21 episodes....there better not be any filler.

I totally forgot about that show. Wouldn't rule out Kawamoris involvement in any Sci-Fi nowadays, but perhaps it is unlikely after all.

Kawamori has The Fool and other projects he's overseeing at Satelight that I think would preclude him from any major involvement in an outside show.

Is the exact time of Watanabes panel still unannounced?

11:15 AM EDT, Sunday, August 11.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
the problem is in the media that soap opera stupid isn't contained in the anime or the soaps anymore and that's why Breaking Bad and shows of its ilk are giving the broadcast nets sleepless nights.
Breaking Bad is soapy, but it's still grounded within some kind of "reality" or believability. Well, maybe not completely, but it's not DUM DUM DUUUUUUUM with its soap opera reveals. lol

JCG

It depends on what it's being stupid about. The ending was all kinds of stupid, but it wasn't really entertaining because
it was just a random twist about some unknown character.
I do think the show lost steam as it kept trying to outdo itself and came up short. I think it's possible for next season to be less entertaining than it should be.

I'm not sure I can agree with that, especially if we aren't just talking about the ending scene itself but the last episode(s) as a whole. You can take or leave the very last twist, depending on whatever happens next, but I found other parts of the episode to be quite entertaining myself. If I had to name any disappointments, they wouldn't concern entertainment value at the moment. It's a little too early to talk about losing steam, in my view, since they always knew the show had another season left.

yes I've had numerous pm's about it lol. I'm going to watch it. Don't know why I stopped watching it, remember it having some cool ideas and the characters were likeable too.

Holy crap it has 21 episodes....there better not be any filler.

There aren't, from what I remember. Well, maybe a couple episodes, but they show some characterization, IIRC. So I guess that's not really filler.

The first OP got me into Ling Tosite Sigure. It's so good.

duckroll

^
If Space Dandy is indeed getting announced at Otakon, I think it would be at Bandai Visual's panel on Saturday, not Watanabe's panel on Sunday.

I think Bahi JD worked on The Two Queens for Kawamori which is why they met, although he is apparently on Space Dandy as well.

Two Queens has nothing to do with Kawamori. It's not even a Japanese project. Thomas Romain is the background designer for Two Queens, because of his prior relationship with the director Savin Yeatman-Eiffel from Oban Star Racers. Thomas Romain is also an art director at Satelight, and has worked on most of Kawamori's projects there. So the connection is between Bahi and Romain. Romain is also working on Space Dandy, so it wouldn't be surprising if Kawamori was indeed doing mechanical designs for the show, but it hasn't been confirmed so far.

BluWacky

Two Queens has nothing to do with Kawamori. It's not even a Japanese project. Thomas Romain is the background designer for Two Queens, because of his prior relationship with the director Savin Yeatman-Eiffel from Oban Star Racers. Thomas Romain is also an art director at Satelight, and has worked on most of Kawamori's projects there. So the connection is between Bahi and Romain. Romain is also working on Space Dandy, so it wouldn't be surprising if Kawamori was indeed doing mechanical designs for the show, but it hasn't been confirmed so far.

Oh, damn, I'm so sorry. I got mixed up with the Nobunaga thing that Kawamori's doing. My apologies.

One day I'll get something right!

cajunator

Banned
Team Senjougahara all the way.

Always and forever!

Oh hey, the KnK site is open now:
http://anime-kyokai.com

Ishidate is the director, Jukki Hanada is writing the screenplay, Miku Kadowaki is CD/chief sakkan, Fall 2013 confirmed!

visually it looks interesting. Ill check this out sometime.

Paranoia Agent 1-3

Things kind of escalated quickly.

Ohhh you have no idea heehee.

I'm liking it. I'm on that Satoshi Kon kick for now. This kid is full of anger.

While you're on that kick, check out the movie Millennium Actress too!

duckroll

Oh, damn, I'm so sorry. I got mixed up with the Nobunaga thing that Kawamori's doing. My apologies.

One day I'll get something right!

There's nothing to apologize for. At least you don't hype stuff up and then get everyone shitting on you when somehow god-forbid it disappoints any single person. Fuck anime.

Attack on Titan 12-13

It's simply astounding how much better this series gets when you don't take it seriously anymore.

Also, Hiroshi Kamiya!

cajunator

Banned
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] movie about fairies and black holes and I don't even know

This was bad. The Precurest of them all, even. Like, take away all the strong direction of R's, or the touching story about Luna in S', and instead replace it with a bunch of items on a checklist including introducing all the Outer Senshi in the middle of the movie just because. It feels like a bunch of set pieces stitched together with barely any rhyme between them. I can only imagine the disappointment in theaters seeing how this was preceded by the Ami short.

Skippable.

Episode 105.

Wha...how do you remember this stuff?

You guys scare me sometimes.

If Studio DEEN's works looked many more times as lively animated as this:

わーなびっ.jk プロモーション動画 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDCUgBhKmg

... I wouldn't ever have a problem with them!

I like that, whatever it is.

my wallet (‘A`)

It begins...Get out now while you can Regulus!

Tenumi

Banned
I think I've learned that I need to limit the shows I'm watching from the current seasons, since I'm watching (rather, catching up on) a lot of long running series. Only going to watch 2 or 3 shows from the Fall season compared to the 6 (after drops) I'm watching now.

Kill la Kill and Kyoukai no Kanata are guarantees, so... potentially one more wildcard for me!

Mr.Jeff

There's nothing to apologize for. At least you don't hype stuff up and then get everyone shitting on you when somehow god-forbid it disappoints any single person. Fuck anime.
You were right about Yuyushiki! That balances out a little bit of the pain suffered by Star Driver and I didn't even finish that.

For gashikunFLCL and anyone else exposed to Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi:

http://youtu.be/zTcitnp2RPE

That's pretty nice.
I'm not sure I heard that Nata de coco, and lol at miX juice and Z is "zenbu zenbu" daisuki
?

I was late because saturday I went out and bought a lot of mangas.
w4JnaUx.jpg

Genshiken 1~2, TTGL 1~2, One Piece 11~18+42~43, Berserk 73, Kekkaishi 18~19, Love Hina 1~3, Rosario+Vampire II 12, Kaicho wa Maid-sama 12~13, Soul Eater 10~12, Toriko 2, Dragon Ball 13~15, Fairy Tail 26~32, Nurarihyon no mago 6~10, Deadman Wonderland 11, Dgray-man 23. That otaku disposable income.
and found this gem.
7wRYG1N.jpg

Watch Doremi for Madarame.

==============================================================

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 13

This one was lewd all around.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 14

The level 7 exam comes back to bite them in the ass,
not really.
The person behind all the plastic shit is finally revealed.
Aaaaaaand a new ending out of nowhere.
A, sore!~♫

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 15

Hazuki mother is so simple,
one breakfast is all she need to backpedal and do a 180
Aiko got everything covered.
Even my older brother asked if Pop was still alive. lol

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 16

Still don't know if this is going to be alright...
how things went here feels like even if they threw a piece of rag everything would be alright

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 17

I don't know if I label this one :secretbase or :firehawk.

cajunator

Banned
That only happens when it's forced mono no aware.

Then you just hear the dubstep version.

Fall of Disappointment.

Trying a new strategy Ducky?

Dominion Tank Police

Watching Dirty Pair made me wanna watch this show again. I loved this show back in high school, but I hadn't seen it in years and I was afraid if I watched it now, I'd discover that it wasn't as good as I thought, but it was still pretty fun. I guess somethings never go out of style, and one of those things is psychopathic catgirl stripper androids.

tumblr_mhd819eDc81r73plvo1_500.gif

I think I'm gonna watch New Dominion Tank Police next, which I've actually never seen.

This OVA was pretty fun back in the day. I havent seen it in many years though.
I still rewatch Burn Up and Gunsmith Cats, Iria, stuff like that so it would probably hold up for me.

That's the way how a pure yuri show should handle boys.

Stupid Love Lab.

Well I guess you all were right about KinMoza. As unexpected as it was.

Something which might be of interest to those watching Rozen Maiden as well is how each of the respective anime adaptations show the scale of the dolls. Comparing the first anime to the current you can see the dolls are smaller sized now and that Jun's room is much less cluttered.

I noticed this as well. The dolls are smaller and therefore much cuter this time.
Less scary too.

Does Vividred count? I mean, technically it was SCIENCE, but whatever, that's just semantics. The important part is that they had to kiss each other to transform.

This show is adorable and I need to finish it. Thanks for reminder.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sword Art Online Dubbed Episode 2: Welp, time for me to find my torch and pitchfork and get ready to burn SAO in effigy. MMORPGS DO NOT WORK THIS WAY!

BluWacky

That's not "fuck anime". That's "fuck nerds on the internet who mistake mockery for humour"
or in this thread in particular

There's too many unknowns about next season for me to start getting hyped yet. Not enough PVs, we don't even know what half the shows are going to be yet etc. etc. But there's a lot of promise, at least.

Theonik

Kiniro Mosaic 05
This show just puts a smile on my face whenever I watch it. So damn cute.
The :SDBurton levels are pretty unreal too.
Show of the season probably.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's pretty nice.
I'm not sure I heard that Nata de coco, and lol at miX juice and Z is "zenbu zenbu" daisuki
?
It's pretty surreal hearing a Japanese ABC song, but at least the full version actually goes to Z. By the way, all five are singing, so they split it into five blocks of five, going in order of Doremi, Hazuki, Aiko, Onpu, Momoko. The background voice for the refrain also goes in this order.

I was late because saturday I went out and bought a lot of mangas.

and found this gem.
7wRYG1N.jpg

Once again cosmic forces intercede on a tag I've given. This time with 7th.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks Firehawk

Well, Akane is cute. I dont remember a lot else about it lol.

I think I've learned that I need to limit the shows I'm watching from the current seasons, since I'm watching (rather, catching up on) a lot of long running series. Only going to watch 2 or 3 shows from the Fall season compared to the 6 (after drops) I'm watching now.

Kill la Kill and Kyoukai no Kanata are guarantees, so... potentially one more wildcard for me!

Yeah I kinda focus on two or three favorites and dabble in the rest. If I reallyl ike a series Ill keep following it long after it aired. But some of them I just wait forever for blurays and take a gamble on the show.

and found this gem.
7wRYG1N.jpg

Madarame is pretty awesome. Its that other Genshiken asshole I cant stand.

Sword Art Online Dubbed Episode 2: Welp, time for me to find my torch and pitchfork and get ready to burn SAO in effigy. MMORPGS DO NOT WORK THIS WAY!

No worries. It gets so much worse.

cajunator

Banned
You wish this was the sole reason the writer is a hack.

I'm still unsure if I wish he SAO SPOILERS DON'T CLICK IF YOU AIN'T SEEN THE SHOW
had any sisters.

Watch Accel World, Corvy Kun. Its a more fun show and slightly less stupid. and it has Kuroyukihime and Sky Raker in it.

Wait, they're actually releasing it on Blu-ray here? Shit, was not expecting that.

I admire your tenacity.

I remember seeing it in the Summer 2012 anime charts and thinking NOPE. Didn't even give it a chance.

I know a lot of people who were absolutely infuriated by it, though.

Caesnd

You're probably being facetious, but I really appreciate everything you're doing and have done for this community.

I'm not "hyped" about Space Dandy per se, but curious indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom