• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Watch Accel World, Corvy Kun. Its a more fun show and slightly less stupid. and it has Kuroyukihime and Sky Raker in it.

I still have to watch Glass Fleet. Wonzo will never respect me for having stopped watching it, but maybe I can live it down if I finish the show. Besides, while I know the guy behind SAO and Accel World is a hack for sure, I don't know if the guy behind Glass Fleet is yet.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wait, they're actually releasing it on Blu-ray here? Shit, was not expecting that.

I admire your tenacity.

I remember seeing it in the Summer 2012 anime charts and thinking NOPE. Didn't even give it a chance.

I know a lot of people who were absolutely infuriated by it, though.

Believe me I wish it was buried but it is one of the members of Toonami and must be watched.

cajunator

Banned
I still have to watch Glass Fleet. Wonzo will never respect me for having stopped watching it, but maybe I can live it down if I finish the show. Besides, while I know the guy behind SAO and Accel World is a hack for sure, I don't know if the guy behind Glass Fleet is yet.

Accel World feels a bit different from SAO. For one thing it drops all the silly incest and world murdering nonsense.

cnet128

Banned
Well, my week of Internet deprivation is over. In the end I didn't actually watch much anime at all during that time, but I did invest plenty of time into finishing the Bakemonogatari and Kizumonogatari novels, so time well spent either way!

...And now I need to go into catch-up mode. First up:

Silver Spoon 4

Mmmmmmmm now I want pizza. Even though most of the toppings that went on Hachiken's were things that I would hate to have on a pizza.

Also, I got flashbacks to Higurashi when Hachiken dragged a Colonel Sanders statue out of a rubbish heap.

cajunator

Banned
Well, my week of Internet deprivation is over. In the end I didn't actually watch much anime at all during that time, but I did invest plenty of time into finishing the Bakemonogatari and Kizumonogatari novels, so time well spent either way!

...And now I need to go into catch-up mode. First up:

Silver Spoon 4

Mmmmmmmm now I want pizza. Even though most of the toppings that went on Hachiken's were things that I would hate to have on a pizza.

Also, I got flashbacks to Higurashi when Hachiken dragged a Colonel Sanders statue out of a rubbish heap.

Welcome back! I couldnt live a week without the internet at this point. It would drive me mad.

Tenumi

Banned
Let's Play! Suite Precure: 40

There was nothing worth screenshotting....

Anyway,
So we've got the overpowered evil bird who has the ability to outright steal notes and use physic abilities. How stupid.

Reading the synopses all the anime sites were giving for Silver Spoon before it aired, it made me think of Moyashimon without the microbiology.

Is it anything like that at all? I really don't need to pick anything else up, but shit, I loved Moyashimon, and who knows when a third season of that's coming?

Reading the synopses all the anime sites were giving for Silver Spoon before it aired, it made me think of Moyashimon without the microbiology.

Is it anything like that at all? I really don't need to pick anything else up, but shit, I loved Moyashimon, and who knows when a third season of that's coming?

It definitely has the same vibe as Moyashimon for me. The topics they focus on are different though.

Quasar

No, I wish the hack who wrote this actually played an MMO in his life.

You know..aside from the dying part, I watched that wishing the MMORPGS I played were like that. And really in a piece of fiction I didn't expect that part to be totally accurate.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
i2uzKSNkGErRl.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You know..aside from the dying part, I watched that wishing the MMORPGS I played were like that. And really in a piece of fiction I didn't expect that part to be totally accurate.

SAO moves well past artistic license and just does not know how this shit works. Seriously, nobody is going to willingly call themselves a Beater.

SAO moves well past artistic license and just does not know how this shit works. Seriously, nobody is going to willingly call themselves a Beater.

Seriously, if you think the MMO issues are the worst thing about it, you've got so much more to look forward to hating.

Two years worth of semen.

Again, I'm so glad I never got on that hype train.

I'm more impressed that people are still interested in cyberspace stories. I thought we don't imagine the cyberspace as a fantastic version of our world anymore since we left the 90s.

duckroll

That's not true at all. There's plenty of Japanese lingo which borrows from English words and phrases which sound extremely tacky and stupid, but catch on and continue to be regularly used by Japanese - especially teenagers, simply because they have no perspective or context to why it would sound stupid to someone who is actually fluent in English.

Go_Ly_Dow

Woman 3 (Kurita, I need Life Support)

RP4VwGf.jpg

Had to hold back the tears at the end. That scene opened my damn heart, it was simply beautiful.

Show of the year. It must be checked out.

SAO could have been so much more than what it was. A show about a player going into a virtual game world similar to an MMO? So many great possibilities could come from that premise.

Will the virtual game characters have moments of existential crisis when they learn about the real world from the player?

Will the player struggle with the choice between living in a fantasy world or the real world?

Would the real world face a massive problem with people purposely abandoning their real-world lives to go live in the fantasy world?

But instead, they go with this. What happens…when you’re trapped in the game and the only way out is to win. That’s it. There's so much you can do, and you go with a basic horror plot. Top it off with everything else that happened in the show, and you have a shit anime. I absolutely despise it when creators go with the most bare-bones of plots with premises that have the most potential.

cajunator

Banned
SAO could have been so much more than what it was. A show about a player going into a virtual game world similar to an MMO? So many great possibilities could come from that premise.

Will the virtual game characters have moments of existential crisis when they learn about the real world from the player?

Will the player struggle with the choice between living in a fantasy world or the real world?

Would the real world face a massive problem with people purposely abandoning their real-world lives to go live in the fantasy world?

But instead, they go with this. What happens…when you’re trapped in the game and the only way out is to win. That’s it. There's so much you can do, and you go with a basic horror plot. Top it off with everything else that happened in the show, and you have a shit anime. I absolutely despise it when creators go with the most bare-bones of plots with premises that have the most potential.

SAO would have been decent if they just stuck to the premise. And also if they had featured more than a token episode of the actually fun characters.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Something which might be of interest to those watching Rozen Maiden as well is how each of the respective anime adaptations show the scale of the dolls. Comparing the first anime to the current you can see the dolls are smaller sized now and that Jun's room is much less cluttered.

man, early digital vaseline filter/video compression is so, so bad.

cnet128

Banned

To be fair, the "basic horror plot" you're talking about is only the first arc of SAO. Later arcs cover numerous different angles of the virtual world scenario, including some that you've mentioned, though the anime hasn't got to those yet.

The latest arc in the novels is all about
building bottom-up AIs, and the ethical and existential issues that presents. Though none of the AIs in the virtual world have found out that their world is virtual just yet, it's basically guaranteed to happen before the arc concludes, and we've already seen earlier AI experiments failing horribly because the AIs couldn't handle the revelation that they were mere copies.
We've also seen
social outcasts abandoning real life in favour of the virtual world and using online games as a tool to commit murder
virtual worlds being used to give terminally ill patients a new lease on life
, and so forth. It's not like SAO is completely wasting its potential in those areas, even if the first couple of arcs that the anime has covered aren't particularly imaginative.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That's not true at all. There's plenty of Japanese lingo which borrows from English words and phrases which sound extremely tacky and stupid, but catch on and continue to be regularly used by Japanese - especially teenagers, simply because they have no perspective or context to why it would sound stupid to someone who is actually fluent in English.

Duckroll that both eminently hilarious and dressing at the same time.

CorvoSol

Yeah, but the term Beater is contrived even when you move past the fact that it's a hilarious masturbation joke in English. They bitch at Kirito for being a Beta Cheater. People call him a Beater well after the points where the Beta ended, and the entire thing hinges on one guy stammering the words together and everyone just rolling with it. Nevermind that playing the Beta isn't equal to cheating, and that the guy who died had also played the Beta.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
problem with sao is that it felt like the author figured something out... but kinda got bored and wrote the rest of the books with his pants down.
Something went horribly wrong then because it is a well know fact that the majority of AnimeGAF perform better when they have their pants down.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Yea, that is another thing, I saw this premise down so much better with the dot hack series, and the dot hack series is not that good, especially the anime.

CorvoSol

SAO would have been decent if they just stuck to the premise. And also if they had featured more than a token episode of the actually fun characters.

NEW GAME! SAO would have been decent if-!

"SAO would have been decent if it had been 11 episodes shorter."

That sounds exactly like the internet to me. Yup. :p

Not to me it doesn't. If someone comes up with a crap term on the net, they're unrelentingly mocked for it, and someone who whines about cheaters in an online game is shunned, not sided with. Beater would never have caught on in real life.

If only SAO was like Demons Souls. Whats that you want to level up.....defeat the boss first? Would of killed 99% of the characters and made the show much more enjoyable as I don't like any of the characters.

The premise sounds good for an anime tbh and thats probably what draws a lot of people to it. The it becomes some pseudo harem, then a really bad and cringeworthy teen romance anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom