• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 95

hCoE9w9.jpg

Perverted Ami strikes back!

And it's an Umino/Naru episode reminding us that they're still down to fuck, as well as Michiru and Haruka being down to fuck.

Surprisingly no Tuxedo Mask this episode, thank the lord for that.

Once again, Using anything that signifies that you'll die for your lover should be considered cheating, it always works. I don't think I would be able to get it to work in real life, even casually.

duckroll

Not to me it doesn't. If someone comes up with a crap term on the net, they're unrelentingly mocked for it, and someone who whines about cheaters in an online game is shunned, not sided with. Beater would never have caught on in real life.

Are you serious? The internet definitely consists of communities which wallows in their own self-created garbage terms and tries to make them into memes. If the community is large enough they usually succeed too. Sure, there are other people on the internet who would laugh at them, but that's outside of the actual community. In SAO, the community is locked in, without any outside influence. Imagine everyone posting on 4chan being stuck together for a year without any intervention. :p

CorvoSol

If only SAO was like Demons Souls. Whats that you want to level up.....defeat the boss first? Would of killed 99% of the characters and made the show much more enjoyable as I don't like any of the characters.

SAO would've been better as a text adventure.

"Rape Slug has you in its Rape Tentacles. DO YOU:

1)Scream that it feels good
2)Call him sempai
3)Wish your male fantasy boyfriend was here
4)Not do anything to remind the audience that you were once allegedly a skilled female fighter?"

I'd play it.

Are you serious? The internet definitely consists of communities which wallows in their own self-created garbage terms and tries to make them into memes. If the community is large enough they usually succeed too. Sure, there are other people on the internet who would laugh at them, but that's outside of the actual community. In SAO, the community is locked in, without any outside influence. Imagine everyone posting on 4chan being stuck together for a year without any intervention. :p

You can force a meme all you want, but it doesn't necessarily catch on. Beater never would have caught on anywhere. He's whining because Kirito played the Beta. It's beyond reason. That's the only point here. Even when you move past the LOL BEATER you initially have, why would there have ever been a term for someone who was a Beta player and a Cheater? There were only 1k Beta players and they never even reached floor 10. The term has no purpose, no reason, not within the plot, and not from the sense of a community. They would've just referred to Kirito as a cheater, if anything. The making of playing the Beta into something grandiose is what makes the term Beater an unrealistic one.

The latest arc in the novels is all about
building bottom-up AIs, and the ethical and existential issues that presents. Though none of the AIs in the virtual world have found out that their world is virtual just yet, it's basically guaranteed to happen before the arc concludes, and we've already seen earlier AI experiments failing horribly because the AIs couldn't handle the revelation that they were mere copies.
We've also seen
social outcasts abandoning real life in favour of the virtual world and using online games as a tool to commit murder
virtual worlds being used to give terminally ill patients a new lease on life
, and so forth. It's not like SAO is completely wasting its potential in those areas, even if the first couple of arcs that the anime has covered aren't particularly imaginative.

The author must have looked at his past work and thought to himself: "Oh crap, what have I done?" and decided to do that in a futile effort to fix the garbage he wrote back then.

Yea, that is another thing, I saw this premise down so much better with the dot hack series, and the dot hack series is not that good, especially the anime.

AAANNNNNNNNNND another potential show or game for me to try ends up off my list.

/XX/

Kawamori? That list is ludicrously fake.
I wouldn't say it's totally ludicrous. Kawamori has done a few bits of mecha design for Bones before (notably Eureka Seven), and the other staff are all Bones regulars. Unlikely, maybe, but not ludicrous :)
Twitter / Thomasintokyo: Today Kawamori san do a cross ...
https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/318958556667838464

Maybe this 'tweet' also helped to spark part of those rumored staff candidates...

Not necessarily something relevant to Mr. Watanabe's new project, as they meet sometimes and share opinions as part of the original production team for MACROSS PLUS, and with those recent events and releases for this old franchise I would find more obvious a meeting related to it.

I like that, whatever it is.
That is a PV for a 'drama CD', to be sold at next Comiket, based on the '4-koma' called Wannabe.jk (http://www.deen.co.jp/works/nabik/).

The first opening and ending were really good too.

I preferred them, honestly. I like Ling Tosite Sigure a lot more than Nothing's Carved in Stone, and I feel like Namae no Nai Kaibutsu was a lot better than All Alone with You.

Also (somewhat related, considering Egoist did those two EDs, and they're basically Supercell under a different name as I understand), kinda miffed that Ryo of Supercell didn't at least write the ED for Monogatari Series Season 2. Obviously, Supercell themselves did the ED for Bakemonogatari (which I think is probably my favorite ED ever), and then he wrote the ED for Nisemonogatari. That said, he didn't write the ED for Nekomonogatari Black, either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can K-onfidently say we are not guilty of coming up with silly terms like like Kyo-Anus and trying to make silly memes.

duckroll

You can force a meme all you want, but it doesn't necessarily catch on. Beater never would have caught on anywhere. He's whining because Kirito played the Beta. It's beyond reason.

It didn't catch on because of whining, it caught on because Kirito self-declared himself a "BEATER" proudly, and because he's actually an amazing player and word spread, people started using the term. There are lots of things wrong with SAO, but I think how it presents online mechanics and social interaction for the most part is pretty spot on.

BluWacky

You can force a meme all you want, but it doesn't necessarily catch on. Beater never would have caught on anywhere. He's whining because Kirito played the Beta. It's beyond reason.

Isn't he whining because Kirito MAKES him?

It's been a long time since I watched episode 2 of SAO, but as I remember it Kirito makes himself into a scapegoat by portraying himself as a super elite beta player who knows all sorts of tips and tricks that regular beta players don't, thus getting the ridiculous nickname and defusing the tension between the beta players and the regular players.

It's not a meme. It's a nickname for ONE character. There aren't any other Beaters in SAO - it's just Kirito, who deliberately earns the nickname.

Metrotab

Banned
Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu - 7

Brilliant episode! And ofcourse, Sousuke actually forgot to learn the rules of rugby.

Chidori looked quaint in her sailor uniform, gave me more The Sound of Music vibes than anything else.

I preferred them, honestly. I like Ling Tosite Sigure a lot more than Nothing's Carved in Stone, and I feel like Namae no Nai Kaibutsu was a lot better than All Alone with You.

Also (somewhat related, considering Egoist did those two EDs, and they're basically Supercell under a different name as I understand), kinda miffed that Ryo of Supercell didn't at least write the ED for Monogatari Series Season 2. Obviously, Supercell themselves did the ED for Bakemonogatari (which I think is probably my favorite ED ever), and then he wrote the ED for Nisemonogatari. That said, he didn't write the ED for Nekomonogatari Black, either.

I love Egoist and Supercell and I wholeheartedly agree that the first ending and opening were better. I was also disappointed that there was no supercell for the new bakemonogatari season and its probably the weakest opening and ending in the monogatari series. ED for Bakemonogatari S1 is also one of my favourites but not my favourite supercell song as they have many good songs its hard for me too choose. It would probably be that or love and roll.

CorvoSol

It didn't catch on because of whining, it caught on because Kirito self-declared himself a "BEATER" proudly, and because he's actually an amazing player and word spread, people started using the term. There are lots of things wrong with SAO, but I think how it presents online mechanics and social interaction for the most part is pretty spot on.

Yeah, and that's what I meant about Kirito just rolling with it. To this day I don't really get his motivations for like, anything in those first few episodes of the show. And I disagree that the show portrays anything other than tentacle rape in a spot on manner, but that's neither here nor there, I grant.

Isn't he whining because Kirito MAKES him?

It's been a long time since I watched episode 2 of SAO, but as I remember it Kirito makes himself into a scapegoat by portraying himself as a super elite beta player who knows all sorts of tips and tricks that regular beta players don't, thus getting the ridiculous nickname and defusing the tension between the beta players and the regular players.

It's not a meme. It's a nickname for ONE character. There aren't any other Beaters in SAO - it's just Kirito, who deliberately earns the nickname.

Sure, if you say that's what he was trying to do there, then I'll go with it, 'cuz I don't remember it that well anymore, either. I just think that the entire conflict between beta and regular players was overblown and that the complaint about it was unnecessary from any character's standpoint.

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu - 7

Brilliant episode! And ofcourse, Sousuke actually forgot to learn the rules of rugby.

Chidori looked quaint in her sailor uniform, gave me more The Sound of Music vibes than anything else.

The Rugby episode is the best in that season.

cajunator

Banned
man, early digital vaseline filter/video compression is so, so bad.

its because I cant see shit anyway so the bad visuals never bothered me much.

Yeah, but the term Beater is contrived even when you move past the fact that it's a hilarious masturbation joke in English. They bitch at Kirito for being a Beta Cheater. People call him a Beater well after the points where the Beta ended, and the entire thing hinges on one guy stammering the words together and everyone just rolling with it. Nevermind that playing the Beta isn't equal to cheating, and that the guy who died had also played the Beta.

Dont try to put logic where it doesn't belong Corvy kun.

I love Egoist and Supercell and I wholeheartedly agree that the first ending and opening were better. I was also disappointed that there was no supercell for the new bakemonogatari season and its probably the weakest opening and ending in the monogatari series. ED for Bakemonogatari S1 is also one of my favourites but not my favourite supercell song as they have many good songs its hard for me too choose. It would probably be that or love and roll.

That's a weird coincidence; Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari and Love & Roll are my two favorites. I also really like The Bravery, that ED they did for Magi. I didn't even watch Magi; I just have a friend who also really loves Supercell who told me to check it out.

This ED comes off as trying to be a sort of "sequel song," if you will, to Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari, IMHO.

I don't think it's as bad as the OP for Oreimo S2, even though that was sung by ClariS and written by kz, just like the first OP.

I unironically love the first Oreimo OP. It has a pretty cool chord progression, and a great bassline. The second season's OP sounds too similar to it musically. It almost sounds like they were trying to write the same song again. Apparently it did better on the Oricon charts, though.

That's a weird coincidence; Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari and Love & Roll are my two favorites. I also really like The Bravery, that ED they did for Magi. I didn't even watch Magi; I just have a friend who also really loves Supercell who told me to check it out.

This ED comes off as trying to be a sort of "sequel song," if you will, to Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari, IMHO.

I don't think it's as bad as the OP for Oreimo S2, even though that was sung by ClariS and written by kz, just like the first OP.

I unironically love the first Oreimo OP. It has a pretty cool chord progression, and a great bassline. The second season's OP sounds too similar to it musically. It almost sounds like they were trying to write the same song again. Apparently it did better on the Oricon charts, though.

Oreimo's OP1>>>OP2 disappointed the second one performed better because as you say it sounded as if they were trying to mimic the success of the first OP. Its also when I first heard about Claris. Its eery how similar our tastes in music are lol.

santeesioux

It's going to be really interesting to watch the weekly ratings for SAO to see if they go down. I haven't really seen any positives from Toonami communities online, but forums are such a small portion of the population it's really hard to get a proper idea of how people feel about a show in general.

cnet128

Banned

Oh, we're doing favourite supercell songs now? Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari is one of my favourites as well. Other favourites include Hajimete no Koi ga Owaru Toki (which I fell in love with from its appearance in the second Project Diva game) and My Dearest (which was far and away the best thing about Guilty Crown. The rest of the show was depressingly mediocre at every turn, but that OP was godlike.)

An honourable mention goes to Daihinmin, one of the B-sides from the My Dearest single. I dunno, Koeda's voice just really works for me. (I don't think that's a very popular opinion, but oh well...)

As for Claris songs, I should probably listen to more of those, but I love their singles that I do know. Naisho no Hanashi is great, as you'd expect from a ryo/Claris collaboration, and I love the kz songs they've done for OreImo (irony being the best, but I really like nexus as well. reunion is a little disappointing by comparison, but I wouldn't call it bad by any means). My favourite of their songs has still got to be Connect, though.

Oh, we're doing favourite supercell songs now? Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari is one of my favourites as well. Other favourites include Hajimete no Koi ga Owaru Toki (which I fell in love with from its appearance in the second Project Diva game) and My Dearest (which was far and away the best thing about Guilty Crown. The rest of the show was depressingly mediocre at every turn, but that OP was godlike.)

An honourable mention goes to Daihinmin, one of the B-sides from the My Dearest single. I dunno, Koeda's voice just really works for me. (I don't think that's a very popular opinion, but oh well...)

As for Claris songs, I should probably listen to more of those, but I love their singles that I do know. Naisho no Hanashi is great, as you'd expect from a ryo/Claris collaboration, and I love the kz songs they've done for OreImo (irony being the best, but I really like nexus as well. reunion is a little disappointing by comparison, but I wouldn't call it bad by any means). My favourite of their songs has still got to be Connect, though.

I totally forgot about that one. You know for all the hate Guilty Crown gets it had a dman fine OST. Probably due to Sawano.

Speaking about Oreimo, after much reluctance I decided to watch the final s2 episode and was pleasantly surprised. After an entire season of pandering and bullshit character development like every girl falling for the MC (typical stupid harem show), I'm glad I at least watched the last episode. Ended the series on a bit higher note than what I would have left it on after seeing some of the episodes.

cnet128

Banned
Speaking about Oreimo, after much reluctance I decided to watch the final s2 episode and was pleasantly surprised. After an entire season of pandering and bullshit character development like every girl falling for the MC (typical stupid harem show), I'm glad I at least watched the last episode. Ended the series on a bit higher note than what I would have left it on after seeing some of the episodes.

Might be best not to start talking about ending the series on a high note until the actual final episodes of S2 air in a couple of weeks =p

My Dearest is fantastic, yeah.

Nexus is also pretty awesome; it's also kinda weird that a light novel volume got its own OP, but then again, it was also the volume they cameoed in, wasn't it? Is it unusual for singles to be pack-ins with light novels?

Naisho no Hanashi has that awesome rockabilly vibe about it, and the third verse when it gets jazzy after the first guitar solo is brilliant. Love the guitar comping during it, plus the drums and the walking bass. Fuck, I'm gonna have to listen to it right now. Ryo is a genius.

It's probably my favorite ClariS song.

Metrotab

Banned
Cipher, the Movie

I don't even know what the fuck I just watched.

So there are two twins who are dating a girl, but seemingly also eachother, and one of them is a movie star, and they're named after the Hindu god of destruction? One of them goes to the shooting studio, does a media interview, interacts with fans then returns home in a sudden film noir vibe? Or something? I don't fucking know.

The second half was some weird pseudo-fictional making of, and wasn't very enlightening at all.

The visuals are fine enough, but there was a rather strange cinematographic focus on the Twin Towers. A bit unsettling with modern eyes.

The dubbing was outstanding, and they really nailed the fake enthusiasm and general vanity of media interviews for film promotions.

Against All Odds really is one of Phil Collins' best songs.

Despite it being a rather awkward production, it was also a very interesting production indeed. I think I might rewatch it even. I rate Cipher, the Movie an 8/10. For being exceptionally interesting.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For me Oreimo is just another show I watched. I never became fixated with it to the point that it would annoy me.

cnet128

Banned
Nexus is also pretty awesome; it's also kinda weird that a light novel volume got its own OP, but then again, it was also the volume they cameoed in, wasn't it? Is it unusual for singles to be pack-ins with light novels?

Yeah, it feels a little weird to have a song assigned as the OP for a light novel (even if ClariS themselves did cameo in it). Personally I associate nexus more with the second Oreimo PSP game, where it was used as the ending theme for every route (except Kanako's, because she got Meteo Impact, lol).

Still though, may as well watch the three episodes and be disgusted.

I dropped it before the second season was even over. I knew what was in store in regards to Kuroneko because I wasted my time reading (gasp, I actually read literature), so I went OUT of my way to waste bandwidth, just to look at the last painful 30 seconds so I could feel justified in bitching about it on NeoGAF Journal. Just to let people know I'm dropping it.

Over the top is fun.

Too soon.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I used to watch anime every day. Now I read actual books.

cajunator

Banned
NEW GAME! SAO would have been decent if-!

"SAO would have been decent if it had been 11 episodes shorter."

Not to me it doesn't. If someone comes up with a crap term on the net, they're unrelentingly mocked for it, and someone who whines about cheaters in an online game is shunned, not sided with. Beater would never have caught on in real life.

Thats an interesting game. Should last a very long time!

Watamote is for the clinically depressed and/or insane.

Watamote is fun!

Twitter / Thomasintokyo: Today Kawamori san do a cross ...
https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/318958556667838464

Maybe this 'tweet' also helped to spark part of those rumored staff candidates...

Not necessarily something relevant to Mr. Watanabe's new project, as they meet sometimes and share opinions as part of the original production team for MACROSS PLUS, and with those recent events and releases for this old franchise I would find more obvious a meeting related to it.

That is a PV for a 'drama CD', to be sold at next Comiket, based on the '4-koma' called Wannabe.jk (http://www.deen.co.jp/works/nabik/).

Ok thanks for clarification !

Railgun - 3

"This is the Garden of Learning right?"

"No that's just the garden. THIS is the Garden of Learning!"
I miss the great quality that show once had.

But as for the actual episode, it was pretty fun. I got an Ace Attorney Investigations vibe from that deduction scene. I hope there's a lot more of those to come.

Lol, Mikasa is frigging Cole MacGrath.

I think oreimo is one of those shows i'm just never going to watch.

Smart move.

I still need to watch the final two episodes. My hard drive died on me right before last season ended/this season began, and I was without a computer for nearly a month, so I still have to finish Gargantia, Oreimo S2, and Maou-sama. It should've been a priority, but I was just too eager to start watching stuff from this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom