• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] movie about fairies and black holes and I don't even know
xJWsOJv.jpg
This was bad. The Precurest of them all, even. Like, take away all the strong direction of R's, or the touching story about Luna in S', and instead replace it with a bunch of items on a checklist including introducing all the Outer Senshi in the middle of the movie just because. It feels like a bunch of set pieces stitched together with barely any rhyme between them. I can only imagine the disappointment in theaters seeing how this was preceded by the Ami short.

Skippable.
SAILOR MOON GAF!

BLaYi2LCUAA_zjI.jpg

Anyone know what ep this is from?
Episode 105.

Shergal

I like the designs for Kyoukai no Kanata. It's certainly no Hyouka, but it's not bad either. Should work well in motion too.

I only hope Ishidate doesn't overdo it with the digital shit...

zeroshiki

Looking at Hanada's past works, he seems kinda hit or miss but I have faith in Ishidate. It's going to be like Yamada Naoko or Utsumi Hiroko getting bumped up only the genre is robots this time around.

The summary sounds like generic LN tripe but it has potential to be opened up depending on the execution.

Shergal

I am not actually expecting the narrative in KnK to be very good, that would be too much. I just hope it's decent and can fit in good action scenes.

BluWacky

Hmmm. I've liked pretty much all the art for Kyokai no Kanata until now, but I HATE that new key art.

I can't quite explain why but it just seems very unnatural to me, like no thought has gone into the actual composition - I don't believe that the characters are actually "there", if you know what I mean?

Plus holding a sword like that just looks kind of funny.

zeroshiki

I am not actually expecting the narrative in KnK to be very good, that would be too much. I just hope it's decent and can fit in good action scenes.

Why not? Its times like these, with a new KyoAni project being announced, that we should always dream of greatness. Crushing disappointment might follow most of the time but that should never dissuade us.

duckroll

Hmmm. I've liked pretty much all the art for Kyokai no Kanata until now, but I HATE that new key art.

I can't quite explain why but it just seems very unnatural to me, like no thought has gone into the actual composition - I don't believe that the characters are actually "there", if you know what I mean?

Plus holding a sword like that just looks kind of funny.

Sounds like par for the course as far as post-Hyouka KyoAni goes! Amirite?!

Quasar

So what is Kyokai no Kanata about?

And is it unusual for a anime house to publish their own light novel series like this?

Shergal

Tamako was well-made!

e:
So what is Kyokai no Kanata about?
It's a generic LN, pretty much. Some guy posted this on animesuki:
Essentially there are monsters that eat people for food, and they disguise themselves as normal humans. There is an organised guild of monster hunters who go around killing them.

The glasses girl is a talented but dirt-poor monster hunter (with inherited powers passing down her family.). Monsters who are slain left behind a gemstone, which can be traded for money back at the Guild. So the girl live off the hunting money. while going to school.

The main character guy is a rare example of a half-breed, the result of the union between a human and monster.

There is also the female childhood friend who is in love with MC but would almost certainly lose. Her and her brother are from some powerful family that own the "territory" the story is set in.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That particular episode, yes.

The effects of conditioning. A decent episode in a sea of awful makes a large impression.

So not really worth going out my way to see. I assume I'd also need to watch previous episodes as well. I forgot about watching it around episode 11 if I recall, ended with Jager Bomb
turning into a titan and punching his female friend

Narag

So not really worth going out my way to see. I assume I'd also need to watch previous episodes as well. I forgot about watching it around episode 11 if I recall, ended with Jager Bomb
turning into a titan and punching his female friend

You could probably watch it and not be too far out of the loop if you just want to see that particular ep.

/XX/

This feels like a good time to mention the fact that the most visually accomplished shows of this season are from P.A. Works and DEEN.
I always liked Deen. But I like a lot of things. It was more about the subject matter of the shows that interested me and I simply tolerated Deen's art.
If Studio DEEN's works looked many more times as lively animated as this:

わーなびっ.jk プロモーション動画 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDCUgBhKmg

... I wouldn't ever have a problem with them!

Outside of the basic studio's culture, the people responsible of a project can assemble a staff around it that doesn't makes them that dependent of such culture after all. As hosannainexcelsis also implied, I think producers (outsider ones, sometimes) and directors are what ultimately define a product's way.

I think the only credit we can give this story is that it makes a good point that no one ever looks at all the weird logos on the back of packaging like the CE mark (no idea what the Japanese equivalent is) because I'm pretty sure a death helmet wouldn't have passed any of the regulations.
The 'JIS Mark' (http://www.jisc.go.jp/eng/jis-mark/newjis-eng.html), this mark image is new and the old one may still be more recognizable, as has been present in many products made for both 'JDM' and export markets.

Fans of fixed-gear bicycles (or 'fixies') may recognize a similar symbol on 'Keirin' approved products/spares, the 'NJS Mark' authorized by the Japanese Keirin Association, that is very respected worldwide because of its abnormally strict parameters of quality control and specific requirements in manufacturing.

Ishidate is the director, Jukki Hanada is writing the screenplay, Miku Kadowaki is CD/chief sakkan, Fall 2013 confirmed!
I was expecting Chise Kamoi as chief AD in her return to TV series work! Some rumors at the beginning mentioned a Mr. Ishidate & Ms. Kamoi 'combi' based on all the PV derived speculation.

I like the designs for Kyoukai no Kanata. It's certainly no Hyouka, but it's not bad either. Should work well in motion too.

I only hope Ishidate doesn't overdo it with the digital shit...

That key art already looks over processed.

KyoAni will only be able to make something good again when Takemoto returns as chief director.

Jarmel

Banned
So here it seems is a more detailed staff breakdown for KnK that I found:

Director: Taichi Ishidate
Series Composition: Jukki Hanada
Character Design: Miku Kadowaki
Art Director: Mikiko Watanabe
Color Design: Kana Miyata
Accessory Setting: Hiroyuki Takahashi
Youmu Setting: Seiichi Akitake
Photography Director: Ryuuta Nakagami
Sound Director: Yota Tsuroka

Love Lab - 5
A great example of all five girls playing off of each other well with fun scenarios and funny jokes. Maki~

Silver Spoon - 4
I really like the premise of so many people at the school working together to make pizza for the first time. It reminds me of that episode from Hey Arnold! where the group tries to make the world's biggest pizza puff. Regardless, it was a nice episode, and I can imagine that this is what the manga must be like.

Uchouten Kazoku - 5
Every episode continues to amaze me at how consistently good this show looks. I really hope Yoshihara continues to storyboard as much of the show as possible.

Gatchaman Crowds - 2-4
Finally caught up with this, and I kinda wish I didn't. It's clear to me that it's trying to make a statement about the reliance on social media and while that could be interesting in theory, it's hampered by the rest of this mess. My biggest problem with it is that I just can't get into how sporadic and strangely paced the dialogue is. It's very annoying to me. The fight scenes are short and nearly incomprehensible too. But at least the music is really nice.

There also seems to be an issue with budget and rushed production which is featured prominently in episode 3 with the mop pole not going over Sugune's face, missing phones in backgrounds, the dogpile scene, etc etc. I'm even at odds with some of the layouts like this one in episode 4 where Hajime and Utsu-tsu are so far away that it makes it hard to see where they are at first glance. What makes it worse is that their character design coloring blends in with the background coloring as well. The only thing I can take away from that shot and the one at the bench is that they were done that way for budget reasons.

I gave Crowds more than a fair shake, but I'm simply not enjoying it. Dropped.

tanuki 5

that endless dilemma. I had a pet chicken. Was adorable until it got killed by a dog and i had to bury it (trivia: thats where my online handle came from!). I still love eating chicken though!

New Phi Brain s3 visual is hype inducing, hope we get all three all season teaming up for the ultimate dream team. october 6th needs to get here fast.
tumblr_inline_mr1rzh05if1qz4rgp.jpg

Was a bit disappointed in the fandom for the pairings vote, oh well at least the best ones got 2-4th.
This is great .
All 3 most broken character in the last 2 seasons are in.
A kaito , rook , freecell team is gonna rock but would be foolish enough to anger those 3 ?

Attack on Titan - 17

oh that was pretty good.

so a yellow haired girl that knows Armin? identity of the female titan seems rather obvious.

The identity is clearer in the anime than in the manga, I could distinguish clearly the face features in the Titan version in the anime, and of course the blond hair is also more visible in the anime than in the manga.

i dont know why i got off phi brain after like half a season. it ended up being more about the scifi nonsense than puzzles or what not.
Phi brain is more about the setting and looking cool while solving things than the actual solving.
They also got a better hold of the world setting and rules in S2

Phi brain is more about the setting and looking cool while solving things than the actual solving.
They also got a better hold of the world setting and rules in S2

ah well... i kinda want more puzzley bits lol. its like if this was yugioh show in which they blaze past all the actual card battlin' and focus on the nonsense mystical stuff 90% of the time.

Novid

Banned
Its time for SonyNet to start between PS4's arrival and next summer.

Netflix and Amazon is on a fucking pile of sand and its starting to cave bit by bit.

Crunchyroll (I heard from a few folks) is being propped by Sentai Filmworks and one other distributor. They saw some sort of financial and they started crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom