• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Gundam openings, nothing beats the Z Gundam dub opening. So good.

(Sorry for shitty GT player. Only place I could find it.)

Is it bad that I actually really enjoyed the Japanese OPs and ED?

I know they're actually reworked Neil Sedaka songs with really cheesy lyrics, but they're my all-time anime music guilty pleasures.

Even worse, I checked out the Neil Sedaka songs they were based on, and I actually liked the one the ED is based on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAf0YjuSdGw

CorvoSol

Speaking of Gundam openings, nothing beats the Z Gundam dub opening. So good.

(Sorry for shitty GT player. Only place I could find it.)

I like this one a lot, but ZZ Gundam's "Silent Voice" is my absolute favorite. Still, this song sounds like something from a Mario Galaxy game. Just got that same "ADVENTURE IN SPACE!" feel.

Dai-Guard 4

So Ibuki has some kind of tragedy in her past that motivates her to keep wanting to pilot the Dai-Guard and kicking some ass with it. Meanwhile her dad turns out to be one. Akagi gets all bent out of shape because the Govt dude is now involved in the Dai-Guard project and the board of directors comes to the conclusion that fighting Heterodyne's is good for business. They laugh maniacally at this. Also the Heterodyne of the week is a giant baseball. This is sadly not mocked in the show.

Still enjoying the show, but sometimes I feel like the animation cuts a couple of corners here and there.

CorvoSol

Qwality Fleet 6

Realizations of this episode:
1)Chloe dresses like Captain Falcon minus ascot and helmet.
2)In Japanese Vetti's name could be easily mistaken for Betty. Fits the whole ambiguous gender theme of the show.

I'd post pictures of some of the best drawn scenes in the episode but I wouldn't want to ruin your mortal souls with images so divine.

Butler and Maid are some great intentional comic relief in a show rife with unintentional comedy.

I'm confused though: the entire length of this show so far has indicated that space is a place you can breathe in. In this very episode Chloe stands at an open tunnel on a ship and shouts into space like it is no biggie. Now suddenly dudes are getting sucked out of the ship into a vacuum. This is like a metaphor for Michelle's gender.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 1

First impressions aaaaaahooooooy!

So, Ms. Marbet is definitely waifu of the show. Which if Zeta taught me anything means I can expect to be upset in 20 episodes time. The Victory looks pretty damn generic and lame, mostly because it reminds me of the worst mecha/Gundam designs this side of R2: Gundam AGE. Indeed, the V and AGE Gundams look a lot alike which contributes tremendously to my already not being a fan of the V's design.

Anyway Chronicle Asher is like Schwarz Bruder if someone tried to make Schwarz a serious character instead of an amazing German Chocolate Ninja Badass. His mech is pretty neat, though.

This series takes place how long after Crossbone Gundam? I get that like, people like Char and Amuro haven't been heard of in forever, but hearing that terms like Newtype and Earth Federation have faded, too is a bit surprising. Heck, I don't think Gundam itself was mentioned in this episode.

That blonde girl looks like Dorothy from Wing.

Long story short, Ms. Marbet is where it is at.

Wolf's Rain 29

This is what I get for watching an anime about godddamn dogs.
I can't remember the last time an anime actually made me cry like this.

And I still have the last episode left.......

We Are Feathers 4 - So, am I losing it, or is this kind of decent now?

Well, really, what I think is going on is that I'm coming to accept that this is not a Milky Holmes series, is not a comedy, is not a good anime, and doesn't have a great cast either. However, despite those faults, it is a watchably average 12-minutes-per-episode action anime series about two girls fighting villains. Don't expect anything above that and it won't feel like the horrendous disappointment that it is.

As for the episode, the cliffhanger from ep. 3 is resolved predictably: Milky Holmes make a brief appearance and the enemies run away. Then, the Feathers girls go home, but they don't give up, contrary to the enemies' expectations. Instead, they
find Milky Holmes "secret", but not well hidden and completely unguarded, archives, and apparently mention of the time they lost their powers (the two seasons of the anime) were mentioned there. Huh.

That gives one of the Feathers girls some inspiration to keep trying, and they come up with a plan to catch and stop some of the villains. Cue a battle between them and two thieves.
They figure out that if archer girl shoots at shield girls' shield, it shoots a more powerful attack out, because shield girl also wants to be able to fight too or something so her power can do that.
Yeah, it's really generic stuff. Anyway, they win. One enemy down, one fled. Yawn. Still though, not terrible, just bland, generic, and only moderately interesting at best. Whoever thought that this was a good idea for a "Milky Holmes" series is very wrong. Not as wrong as the "Alternative" series was, at least, but very wrong. But yes, it is growing on me a bit, in that I admit, it's not utterly awful; it's just not what it should be, and it's not above average for sure either. And that's really about all there is to say. I expect the rest of the series to be as formulaic but watchable as this episode was, so I will keep watching; it's short, and not quite bad enough to drop, considering how much I liked the first two seasons.

Futari wa Milky Holmes 4

Hey, Milky Holmes appeared in this episode briefly! And there was a specific reference to the events of the previous anime series!

Sigh.
As I keep watching, I think I now actually care about Black and White, albeit not all that much... but they aren't the worst characters ever. They aren't good main characters, and are just action fighting characters and not really detectives (particularly in terms of powers), and don't have any of Milky Holmes' charisma or entertainment value... but their generic hero earnestness to get better is kind of entertaining, I guess? Or at lest, just enough so to keep me going through the short 12 minute episodes. Though I wouldn't have minded at all if they HAD given up and become minor sub-characters (that they should have been all along in this series) after ep. 3 and ep. 4 revealed that the show will actually be about Milky Holmes. Ah well. They obviously didn't want there to be any chance that they'd be making a good anime this time, so minimal Milky Holmes. But it could be worse... at least it isn't Alternative!

Dresden

It's like, completely unappealing on every level.

NfcGmHN.jpg

Outbreak Company's story centers around Shinichi Kano, a "thoroughbred class" otaku with a light novelist father and an erotic game artist mother. He has no special talents except for his vast knowledge, opinions, and insight on moe.

Despite this, the Japanese government assigns Shinichi as a "moe" evangelist to the Holy Eldant Empire, a parallel world with an entrance through a thick forest of trees in the Mount Fuji area. In this fantasy world where dragons soar the skies, Shinichi forms a deep friendship with the half-elf maid girl Myuseru and the beautiful young empress Petoraru. Even as he deals with the threats of war between different factions, he worries that he himself is an invader (shinryakusha) to this wondrous land.

The reason I watch High School DxD New is not because of the abusive use of fan service and nudity, but because I like being reminded on the premise of awful. It helps you appreciate anime that is actually good and reminds you of what trash is in an entertaining way. Its like playing Sonic 2006 or watching Sharknado, even though its absolutely atrocious, it helps put everything into perspective yet is still enjoyable in its own ugly sort of you.

cnet128

Banned
Max Heart, Suite, and..... uhhhhhh.... which one.... Yes 5!.

This sounds like wishful thinking. Stop choosing series that you wouldn't mind seeing violently raped.

"Water is my girlfriend".

They really missed a glorious naming opportunity with Free!

I wonder why they made water female...the fan arts had haru x maleWater...

Heh. Maybe it should be "Water is my Lover" then, to keep the gender ambiguous.

Either way, I think we should refer to this show as OreMizu from now on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What?

So the story is basically about Japan going from the fear of moe killing anime to moe killing their nation from a parallel universe?

The reason I watch High School DxD New is not because of the abusive use of fan service and nudity, but because I like being reminded on the premise of awful. It helps you appreciate anime that is actually good and reminds you of what trash is in an entertaining way. Its like playing Sonic 2006 or watching Sharknado, even though its absolutely atrocious, it helps put everything into perspective yet is still enjoyable in its own ugly sort of you.

This is the very reason why I generally try to include a trashy harem series in my anime diet every season.

I'm not doing it this season, though. Never gonna watch another season of Highschool DxD.

Theonik

Someone's putting this out in BD soon, right? I need to resist these laser disc urges.
Why wait when the Bandai BD is still readily available for the same price the new release will be sold at RIGHT NOW?
On that note check that seller's eBay listing. It's $10 cheaper than amazon and how I grabbed mine back in February for $30.

Fight! Iczer One - 2
Well, that was better in just about every way.
Glad someone else is watching this. Though I sorta disagree with some of your criticism, notably with regards to unoriginality, when this OVA pre-dates a lot of the other things you mentioned.
SDBurton has still betrayed me with regards to watching it.

*high fives Corvo cause we're probably the same age.

ANYHOW.

Restarted my Sailor Moon re-watch/full watch.

Sailor Moon - 13

I died when Tuxedo Mask jumped into the air accompanied by the sound of a jumbo jet.

Truly a hero for the ages.

Also dat feminist commentary in the battle. I can dig it.

Watamote - 5

Okay, obvious and possibly slightly amusing Haruhi reference. I can dig it.

There's not much else I can really say right now because I'm about to fall asleep, but I enjoy that the series is consistently funny.

Also, the new ED is completely wack.

wonzo

Banned
Tamayura ~more aggressive~ 5

tamayurama5.jpg

Only satojun could make an old ass tree as moving and "mono no aware" as he did in this episode. Show of the season that everyone itt should be watching right here folks.

Senyu. 19

Wasn't really feeling this episode at all, but then again I haven't really felt this show for a while now outside of the random funny bit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 174
There was plenty "wrong" with this episode, but I think crossdressing American football player takes the cake, and that's including gentle uteri.

High school culture is the worst.

-Setsuna-

Do anime like Touch, Kimagure Orange Road and Maison Ikkoku still exist ?
If so, could you please recommend me some good ones ?

dumbyugi

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, A's, StrikerS

Over the past week I rewatched all three seasons of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. When I first watched them I had a pretty large break between watching the first 2 seasons and StrikerS, so at the time I rated StrikerS as a better series than the first season. Since then almost everyone I've talked to has said that StrikerS is the worst of the three and that I was strange for liking it better then the first season. It made me think that maybe I liked it more because it was fresher in my mind when I first watched it. This time I watched all three in a row without any long breaks. My opinion hasn't really changed that much. My rankings are: A's > StrikerS > Season 1.

Season 1 is the weakest season, at least in my opinion. Until Fate is introduced the series was kind of boring. It was generic magical girl stuff, it even had a shitty mascot character. Once the story properly started it got a lot better, but it never really reaches the highs that the other two seasons do. The climax is kind of boring and Fate and Nanoha are the only characters who were interesting at all. Of course that's all in comparison to the later seasons, as a single series it's still fantastic.

A's is undoubtebly the best in the series. It has the best fights, the best story, the best insert song and no pointless filler. This season took everything great from season 1 and made them better. I have nothing negative to say about it. It's my third favourite series of all time and my number one action series of all time.

StrikerS has some of my favourite moments from all 3 seasons, it also does a few things that annoy me a lot. I'll start with what I hate. It has too many new characters, I absolutley despise how Yuuno, Arf and Amy get shafted for no reason. Arf really pissed me off after how much she was shown wanting to protect Fate in the first 2 season. Even though there were twice as many episodes some of the characters develpoment was rushed, Caro and Eriro especially. There are good characters in the new lot though. I really like Subaru, Tia, Vice and most of the bad guys. In fact Lutecia was the only one of the bad guys I didn't care for. As I said before this season has some of my favourite scences in it. When Subaru
see's Ginga being taken away by the combat cyborgs
and when Nanoha
uses Divine Buster to shoot through the walls of the Cradle to get number 4
are both fantastic scenes that rival some of the stuff in A's.

I hope that if we someday get another season that it's either original or based on Vivid and not on Force.

/XX/

I might have to stop reading the thread in a few weeks, anyway; I'm changing careers to become a teacher and will be behind the school firewall at all times (living on campus), and I somehow doubt they'd take kindly to an internet history with a thread that fairly regularly talks about sexualising 13 year old girls. That's if GAF isn't blocked anyway!
That will probably happen to me when I get full-time work as a primary school teacher in four-years. Although I'll be too busy to hang out on IRC anyway.
Life always finds a way, to come back. You will soon be here again, pals! :)

Just look at this Honneamise LD!

It's so... ugly. Especially compared to the Japanese release. I still feel like I need it though! Why are these priced so reasonably? Well, probably because nobody wants a Laser Disc. I kinda do though.
That's not even its final form:

The Wings of Honneamise: Memoril Box [AKF44] [BEAL-367] : RecoBANCHOU, All Genre&Media Discs from JAPAN
http://www.urabanchou.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=175063

This 'renewal' edition came so late to fruition, already at the end-of-the-line for the format, because Mr. Yamaga was patently a little jealous of the quality present on The Criterion Collection and their CAV LaserDisc releases. It was a "me too". :-D

I'm not really getting you, but may be in a similar sort of state. A lot of the convo here now I either don't vibe with, or flies right over my head, to be entirely honest, but I love the topic, like many of the posters in here, and do find myself understanding or vibing with the talk at occasional moments . So, I stick around. I don't pressure myself to take in half of this, but jump in where I feel I can contribute.
I think that is the right approach! Trying to be in all conversations would be very exhausting and can make everyone jaded on the long run (given the fast rhythm in here), so I find better to just enjoy reading the varied 'convos' and only contribute with some information from time to time, as in a more relaxed way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom