• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Apparently that new SatoJun anime is being written by Mari Okada. Or so it apparently says here.

At least the girl is cute.

At least. Thats a good start. Nice ahoge and such.

I'll definitely check this out. Thanks, Darkside.

"Romance", yes. "Old-school", I don't really know. I've been out of the loop for 15+ years, so those are my references.

Romantic, charming and well written anime, without any form of vulgarity or "fan service".

Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun (My Little Monster) was pretty cute romance anime. I dont remember there being much if any fanservice.

I'm staying out of OT for a while. Too much politics, not enough fun.

Also, now that Suite's done, I have some catching up to do...

I agree about OT. OT is a wild bastard land where sadness happens.

[Fresh Precure!] 28

Out of all the stock :firehawk "parenting" episodes I've seen in this franchise this was probably the weakest, but I wouldn't be able to point out exactly why. It felt very... derivative in the way it approached the themes, and the resolution was less than satisfying. I don't understand how this show can get so bipolar from episode to episode.

Next episode sounds fucking amazing, however. Rie Matsumoto orz

I think this episode was the point where I groaned at when they did the "This is what our name MEANS".

Trying to remember which series it started with since I started off with the dubbed version of Futari wa.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
barf moe.

and i think some swimsuit stuff. can't access dropbox at work~

tonari.PNG2.PNG

Novid

Banned
Yugi Oh-GX tried to be different towards the end, but Densu is gonna Densu and 4Kids didn't help matters.

But it seems that in the future, there will be more "Yubels" - if things go where they seem to be headed.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 100

HERE WE ARE! THE HALFWAY POINT!

So a Minako episode, where she's longing for love again, and looks at a volley ball player that she knew due to being a ex-volleyer herself. She goes nuts from it since she feels her love is being strained with her schedule (and thus bothering the others.)

However, MINAKO, you had cock fall into your hands! He wanted you to play ball because that's what he's into! HE EVEN CONFESSED TO YOU! And you didn't take it! You saw him getting kissed by another girl! This is your fault, 100 percent. God damn it Minako. The victim of the week does realize who Sailor Venus is though...

Artemis.... Artemis gave Minako flowers and asked her to spend the night with him. I don't know, either it's pushing that Minako will grow up to be one of those cat ladies, or she's going to fucking the wrong kind of pussy tonight.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 100

HERE WE ARE! THE HALFWAY POINT!

So a Minako episode, where she's longing for love again, and looks at a volley ball player that she knew due to being a ex-volleyer herself. She goes nuts from it since she feels her love is being strained with her schedule (and thus bothering the others.)

However, MINAKO, you had cock fall into your hands! He wanted you to play ball because that's what he's into! HE EVEN CONFESSED TO YOU! And you didn't take it! You saw him getting kissed by another girl! This is your fault, 100 percent. God damn it Minako. The victim of the week does realize who Sailor Venus is though...

Artemis.... Artemis gave Minako flowers and asked her to spend the night with him. I don't know, either it's pushing that Minako will grow up to be one of those cat ladies, or she's going to fucking the wrong kind of pussy tonight.

What in the shit happened to the art?

Tenumi

Banned
Finally got these done. So, without further delay....

Suite Precure Writeup
-------------

Suite Precure is probably going to be one of my hardest shows to define in the Precure series. On one hand, it does so many things well, but in the other hand, are the bits that drag the show back to the ground. From beginning to end, I would say that Suite Precure was at its strongest when it was developing its characters.

Hibiki and Kanade both got excelent amounts of development, in both their friendship and their individual beings. Hibiki evolved from a girl who more or less lived for herself, to a leader who wanted to save everyone from the despair being forced on them by the Minor Land villians. Kanade's development was more of a complementary style to Hibiki's, and while she didn't really stand out as much development-wise, she still changed from begining to end.

Siren... she had to have been my favorite overall character in this season.
From when she was still in Cat form as a minion of Minor Land, to her face turn, she always stood out and above the rest of the villians. When she became Cure Beat, her character underwent a bit more evolution until settling in as more or less the "shy muscle" of the group.

Now, the controversial part: Cure Muse. I personally think she was introduced way too early into the story, all honesty. She basically showed up, did something to help the Precure, acted mysterious, and left. All it did was lead to speculation, and then, well, it stopped. She still showed up, but it was more of a "I'm still here" than actually impacting the plot.
Only when she was revealed to be Ako did any sort of development occur, and all honesty, there wasn't too much. Just learning who she is, and why she was disquised.

Unfortunitly, Suite Precure suffered from a fatal flaw that ended up hurting its overall enjoyment.
Once Mephisto was revealled to be Ako's father, the plot started to take turns that came out of nowhere. Suddenly, there's a higher power behind the villians. Suddenly, one of the minions becomes the new boss. Suddenly, a bird appears. The bird is evil. The bird was the worst. Actually Noise, the big bad of the series, its abilites were simply overpowered for what the plot needed. The Precure collect a bunch of notes, so it simply steals them straight from the Fairy Tones. In other words, there was literally no reason for the Precure to collect the notes, since they could do nothing to protect them.

Overall, if I had to rate Suite Precure, I'd say I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It does many things well, and the main characters are interesting enough to keep the watch enjoyable, but there are far too many issues with its plot overall to give it anything higher than that.

Heartcatch Precure Writeup
------------------

Ah, Heartcatch.... My first introduction into the Precure series, and so far, my favorite. It's been a while since I watched it, so this obviously won't be as in-depth as the Suite Writeup. Anyway...

Heartcatch had the perfect blend of major and minor characters, and it showed no bias in developing them all. While Suite had several minor characters make multiple appearances and help the Precure, they really had no development beyond their introduction. Heartcatch, on the other hand, made the cast seem more real. We had the girls of the fashion club, the manga artist whose name is escaping me, and more grow from appearance to appearance. Tsubomi and Erika started the series as, well, obvious newbies to being Precure. But over the course of the season, they grew and improved to the point where they were completely different fighters than before.

Heartcatch's plot was simple, its theme a little forced, yet it worked out completely fine. Using Flowers as a plot device and a key theme allowed for some variety in single-episode characters' traits. Making the entire Earth a desert, simple enough of a villain plan. Heartcatch didn't go out of its way to over complicate things. It told you what it was going to do and did it.

Heartcatch is widely considered the "Best" of the Precure Series, and for good reason. It doesn't try to over complicate everything, it doesn't throw wild twists, it just does its job, and it does it well.

-------------------------

With those out of the way, a few days rest and Doki Doki Precure catchup, and then I shall start Fresh Pretty Cure!

Nothing, it's just one of those typical "anime to painting" techniques seen in countless anime

Finally got these done. So, without further delay....

Suite Precure Writeup
-------------

Suite Precure is probably going to be one of my hardest shows to define in the Precure series. On one hand, it does so many things well, but in the other hand, are the bits that drag the show back to the ground. From beginning to end, I would say that Suite Precure was at its strongest when it was developing its characters.

Hibiki and Kanade both got excelent amounts of development, in both their friendship and their individual beings. Hibiki evolved from a girl who more or less lived for herself, to a leader who wanted to save everyone from the despair being forced on them by the Minor Land villians. Kanade's development was more of a complementary style to Hibiki's, and while she didn't really stand out as much development-wise, she still changed from begining to end.

Siren... she had to have been my favorite overall character in this season.
From when she was still in Cat form as a minion of Minor Land, to her face turn, she always stood out and above the rest of the villians. When she became Cure Beat, her character underwent a bit more evolution until settling in as more or less the "shy muscle" of the group.

Now, the controversial part: Cure Muse. I personally think she was introduced way too early into the story, all honesty. She basically showed up, did something to help the Precure, acted mysterious, and left. All it did was lead to speculation, and then, well, it stopped. She still showed up, but it was more of a "I'm still here" than actually impacting the plot.
Only when she was revealed to be Ako did any sort of development occur, and all honesty, there wasn't too much. Just learning who she is, and why she was disquised.

Unfortunitly, Suite Precure suffered from a fatal flaw that ended up hurting its overall enjoyment.
Once Mephisto was revealled to be Ako's father, the plot started to take turns that came out of nowhere. Suddenly, there's a higher power behind the villians. Suddenly, one of the minions becomes the new boss. Suddenly, a bird appears. The bird is evil. The bird was the worst. Actually Noise, the big bad of the series, its abilites were simply overpowered for what the plot needed. The Precure collect a bunch of notes, so it simply steals them straight from the Fairy Tones. In other words, there was literally no reason for the Precure to collect the notes, since they could do nothing to protect them.

Overall, if I had to rate Suite Precure, I'd say I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It does many things well, and the main characters are interesting enough to keep the watch enjoyable, but there are far too many issues with its plot overall to give it anything higher than that.

Heartcatch Precure Writeup
------------------

Ah, Heartcatch.... My first introduction into the Precure series, and so far, my favorite. It's been a while since I watched it, so this obviously won't be as in-depth as the Suite Writeup. Anyway...

Heartcatch had the perfect blend of major and minor characters, and it showed no bias in developing them all. While Suite had several minor characters make multiple appearances and help the Precure, they really had no development beyond their introduction. Heartcatch, on the other hand, made the cast seem more real. We had the girls of the fashion club, the manga artist whose name is escaping me, and more grow from appearance to appearance. Tsubomi and Erika started the series as, well, obvious newbies to being Precure. But over the course of the season, they grew and improved to the point where they were completely different fighters than before.

Heartcatch's plot was simple, its theme a little forced, yet it worked out completely fine. Using Flowers as a plot device and a key theme allowed for some variety in single-episode characters' traits. Making the entire Earth a desert, simple enough of a villain plan. Heartcatch didn't go out of its way to over complicate things. It told you what it was going to do and did it.

Heartcatch is widely considered the "Best" of the Precure Series, and for good reason. It doesn't try to over complicate everything, it doesn't throw wild twists, it just does its job, and it does it well.

-------------------------

With those out of the way, a few days rest and Doki Doki Precure catchup, and then I shall start Fresh Pretty Cure!

I don't remember what I gave Suite, but it sounds like you're right aligned with me on it, I too liked the beginning of Suite, which some people ragged on (because heavens forbid character development, something that's very lacking here). The Cure Muse bits were probably the worst aspect, considering the fallout of that subplot pretty much led to the rest of the show utterly trainwrecking. Also I like how
no one died period /sarcasm

Ellen's still the best. Also Ban-kun for the manga artist.

cajunator

Banned
Nothing, it's just one of those typical "anime to painting" techniques seen in countless anime

I don't remember what I gave Suite, but it sounds like you're right aligned with me on it, I too liked the beginning of Suite, which some people ragged on (because heavens forbid character development, something that's very lacking here). The Cure Muse bits were probably the worst aspect, considering the fallout of that subplot pretty much led to the rest of the show utterly trainwrecking. Also I like how
no one died period /sarcasm

Ellen's still the best. Also Ban-kun for the manga artist.

Ohhh ok I know what youre talking about.

cajunator

Banned
can someone post the gudie to :meanings again? maybe delete stuff fromt he OP to fit it in there?

:dtl, :cajun, etc

:DTL = BL

:cajun = cuuuuuuuuute hnnngh

:SDBurton = only girls in the garden

:Chet -= BOOBS

:wonzo = derp and QUALITY

:Firehawk = mono no aware, ephemeral passing of things

:Kurita = 3DPD

:kayo~s = wait, what?

:Corvo = TOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAATTTTTOOOOOEEEES AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGGEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

cajunator

Banned
are firehawk, kurita, kayos~s, and corvo actual definitions, or slang to define slang? I don't understand the explanation for any of those

firehawks is an actual term. Its a certain emotional response of a sort.
Kurita is because he likes live action. It ist really one but some people use it.
Kayos is official. corvo SHOULD be official.

santeesioux

:Corvo = TOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAATTTTTOOOOOEEEES AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGGEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

Do i get one when i finally shake this filthy Junior tag?

Man, I should get into this "name changing" thing. I don't think :nintendo is going to have any good definition here. Aside from being a powerful deity that is currently having problems.

CorvoSol

It's like, completely unappealing on every level.

The idea of a guy preaching moe to a Fantasy World would have worked as a comedy if said Fantasy World wasn't already home to a moe princess, but instead was a gritty, liney, grubby world like the Lodoss OVA series.

*high fives Corvo cause we're probably the same age.

Aww yiss,
motha-lovin'
age-bros.

~6 hours until Return of The King; Free! - Episode 5
hype

I'm at an impasse as to whether I should make a joke about all the unintended gay subtext in LotR or a joke about Aragorn and Gandalf in those swimming pants.

The wonders of Glass Fleet.

I'm trying to wonder less about it these days.

Try not to think about it too much.

I'm sure that by the end of the series I'll care as much about the geography in Turn A as I did the politics in Geass. I mean, the geography is probably the first thing that gets thrown out for a SRW game anyway.

Turn-A doesn't need defending.

All the Earth events in Turn-A take place in America. The US has split into various smaller countries in the Turn-A chronology something that should be more apparent as you go along. The sunbelt zone is consequently near Mexico iirc.
The reason for this massive change is also explained.

So Inglessa is what, New England?

You know, I haven't heard a good defense of Turn-A other than it's different and slightly better than Tomino's other stuff.

I dunno about better yet, what with the annoying flip flopping between Loran and Laura, but its definitely different. Show really doesn't feel much like a Gundam series at all. G was more overtly Gundam than Turn A feels thus far.

Woop! Ready for your mid-twenties crisis?

Her voice is from heaven. Im pretty sure it is.

Yo, when I lived in Brasil a friend of mine got a tape recording of his girlfriend, and I tell you her voice was forged in heaven out of audio sex. Told him if he ever left her I'd marry the girl for her voice alone.

:Chet -= BOOBS

:wonzo = derp and QUALITY

:duckroll is CG future isn't it?

cajunator

Banned
The idea of a guy preaching moe to a Fantasy World would have worked as a comedy if said Fantasy World wasn't already home to a moe princess, but instead was a gritty, liney, grubby world like the Lodoss OVA series.

Aww yiss,
motha-lovin'
age-bros.

I'm at an impasse as to whether I should make a joke about all the unintended gay subtext in LotR or a joke about Aragorn and Gandalf in those swimming pants.

I'm trying to wonder less about it these days.

I'm sure that by the end of the series I'll care as much about the geography in Turn A as I did the politics in Geass. I mean, the geography is probably the first thing that gets thrown out for a SRW game anyway.

So Inglessa is what, New England?

I dunno about better yet, what with the annoying flip flopping between Loran and Laura, but its definitely different. Show really doesn't feel much like a Gundam series at all. G was more overtly Gundam than Turn A feels thus far.

Woop! Ready for your mid-twenties crisis?

Yo, when I lived in Brasil a friend of mine got a tape recording of his girlfriend, and I tell you her voice was forged in heaven out of audio sex. Told him if he ever left her I'd marry the girl for her voice alone.

:duckroll is CG future isn't it?

Theres a bunch of them now Corvy kun. I have trouble keeping track.

Dynedom

Probably been posted/discussed already but holy fuck: the lead singer of White Ash is a guy? That is a guy in the PV right? I'm so confused

I'm sure there's something on their pertinent to the "rite of passage" discussion.

edit: Glass Fleet or School Days might be one

/XX/

IRC exclusive or not, you always forget ':cuilan'... VERY important one.

Osamu Dezaki happened (well, technically Yasuo 'Mr. Jeep' Ōtsuka before him). His legacy, in the form of those famous "postcard memories", was even very frequent on Sailor Moon if I remember correctly.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'll definitely check this out. Thanks, Darkside.

"Romance", yes. "Old-school", I don't really know. I've been out of the loop for 15+ years, so those are my references.

Romantic, charming and well written anime, without any form of vulgarity or "fan service".

Clannad and Clannad: After Story
Toradora!
Romeo x Juliet

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
IRC exclusive or not, you always forget ':cuilan'... VERY important one.

Osamu Dezaki happened (well, technically Yasuo 'Mr. Jeep' Ōtsuka before him). His legacy, in the form of those famous "postcard memories", was even very frequent on Sailor Moon if I remember correctly.
You see it a lot in Toei anime from around that era. Dragon Ball Z and GT frequently ended episodes with similar postcards. It always looked cool.

Kurita

Probably been posted/discussed already but holy fuck: the lead singer of White Ash is a guy? That is a guy in the PV right? I'm so confused

I'm sure there's something on their pertinent to the "rite of passage" discussion.

edit: Glass Fleet or School Days might be one
A guy with a very annoying face and voice.
I want to headbutt him everytime I see/hear him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom