• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Monogatari SS 5 (Nekomonogatari White 5 END)

If I'm completely honest, I found this a little underwhelming. There were a lot of things to like about it - it was an effective ending to the arc, nicely presented, it tied up Hanekawa's overall character arc in a satisfying way, and Hanekawa's
new-new hair
looked pretty great, though
it's a pity she decided to hide it from the world
. Plus Araragi was an absolute boss. But as Monogatari stories go, I don't think the whole tiger thing resonated with me as well as some of the other arcs have. Probably doesn't help that I watched these last two episodes right after reading Kizu, which was straight-up amazing and set a stupidly high standard to live up to, and it also probably doesn't help that Hanekawa is my least favourite girl in the series.

At any rate, I look forward to seeing the next arc, which I believe should feature my most favouritest girl in the series! Bring on dat Mayoi!
I believe I've heard that Mayoi herself doesn't actually get all that much screentime considering it's her arc, though. For shame! (I have high expectations nonetheless.)

Jarmel

Banned
By Goddess you are of course referring to the Holy Matron of Ass Kicking, Her Grace Melissa Mao, I assume. Because Mao is the best girl and even perpetual pervert Kurz Weber knows this.

But yes, Melissa and Kurz will be in a couple episodes of the show, too.

Aaaargh, it hasn't even been that long since I watched FMP and now I want to see it again.

Delicious Melissa. She even was teaching mechs to tango.

Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu - 9

Holy shit, this episode was rather damn explicit. Didn't know KyoAni used to roll like that.

And that was some amazing animation/cinematography/whatever on the military scene.

Pervert KyoAni is best KyoAni. Became a bunch of prudes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gifu Dodo!! Kanetsugu & Keiji 6

While it wasn't the prettiest, there was a visually consistent episode finally. Here's hoping it stays this way. I have the same feeling with this ep as I did when Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman turned good. Probably didn't hurt the episode director did the storyboarding if ANN is right. Which it might not be! ANN also said there was three animation directors this time around too.

@madpierrot: Don't neglect this one.

I've been watching! It just takes something really notable for me to write episode impressions of, well, anything anymore.

CorvoSol

Im no conspiracy theorist. The Government does that Job on a daily basis.

The World with Out God is awesome, the world is a perfect symbolism for our world today- the zombies reprecenting the culture lead by nothing, and those that have the job of trying to bury these folk - preaching the truth of death when all prayers fail.

I'm getting mixed messages here.

["QUOTE=Envelope;74994151]
Waon was originally going to be one of the extra precures
:3[/QUOTE]

And it pisses me off too. Would've been better to throw out the current Cure Muse for her.

DAMMIT I THOUGHT YOU KNEW. I was holding out that that black rock was a magical make everything better button until even after the credits. Not only does it seem like it was nothing, no where I looked last night even comments on the dumb thing.

Show's ending is so darn heavy.

The Black Rock represents false expectations obviously

Finale! Suite Precure: 48

And so I've reached the end of my 3rd Precure series. I'll have a full writeup sometime latter, but as for this episode....

So Hummy saves everyone, pretty much. Sings the Melody of Happiness, everything's back to normal, and life continues as it should. Oh yeah, the bird is revived, but white this time, meaning it's "good", of course.

Congrats on finishing Suite TrainWreckCure.

The 2nd half of suite precure was nothing but disapointment for me.
Especially the way they handled the ending.
FOr this reaason i haven't watched the suite movie yet

Suite Movie was like an alternate timeline of what happened directly after 36. But yeah, the second half was just.... guh. Only good thing was Ellen.

How quickly we've forgotten about Gangnam Girls. One day crunchyroll will be knocking on our doors and The Prophet will save us all.

It would've stayed forgotten if it wasnt for your meddling remembering, and that dumb brain of yers too!

I wonder which three Precure shows they'll chop up and make one show out of.

Max Heart, Suite, and..... uhhhhhh.... which one.... Yes 5!.

Narag

I've been watching! It just takes something really notable for me to write episode impressions of, well, anything anymore.

Just making sure! ANN's credits said the director had some Fist of the North Star stuff under his belt. Probably why it felt right. :lol

Oofuri Summer Episode 7 and 8
tumblr_mr53afavou1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mr53afavou1qbxqfpo2_500.png

With their game performance they really ought to spend more time tickling one another instead of the baseball as it was just vastly hilarious and quite pleasing. And on that line every Abe and Mihashi moment was hilarious
Mihashi being asked if he had friends then reflecting on his relationship with Mihashi gave some good moments with his dad and then later. Patience is key. While Mihashi's confessional on the field of how its all thanks to Abe for food and baseball and then Abe's reaction to it and that hug...lovely.

I just wished they didnt play all the fast versions of the baseball songs, missed the Yamato song and all the others ones after so many weeks without the cheer squad.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Is New Sailor Moon confirmed for this year or did they say anything beyond Winter, by the way? Because it occurs to me that the Winter time frame could mean it's gonna air after Precure ends. It would make sense given the delays.

Novid

Banned
Is New Sailor Moon confirmed for this year or did they say anything beyond Winter, by the way? Because it occurs to me that the Winter time frame could mean it's gonna air after Precure ends. It would make sense given the delays.

That's the problem. They set a time table for mid dec to Jan 2014.

Well I already considered this being a possibility a while back, but people just said "Silly Yayoi, so adorable with her misunderstandings."

CorvoSol

Hope was the last thing that should've been on your mind, they beat that into you for like 24 episodes.

Yeah but that black rock!

A cursory search into a Casshern wiki full of spelling errors explains that the black rock contained Luna's nano cells, which Ohji stayed behind to study. Which he never again mentions when he does show up, only doing that talking about death granting.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

It's not going to be targeted toward the same demographic, so one won't be taken off for the other.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's not going to be targeted toward the same demographic, so one won't be taken off for the other.
My question is based more on wondering who exactly is going to make the show and not so much the audience. The thing is running so many delays it wouldn't surprise me they just nab the Precure team to get it trucking.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Nostalgia pander is best pander.

I'm sure all the six-year-olds have fond memories of all of those shows they watched in 1994!

My question is based more on wondering who exactly is going to make the show and not so much the audience. The thing is running so many delays it wouldn't surprise me they just nab the Precure team to get it trucking.

Maybe they'll just kill Saint Seiya Omega, as well they probably should.

Yeah but that black rock!

A cursory search into a Casshern wiki full of spelling errors explains that the black rock contained Luna's nano cells, which Ohji stayed behind to study. Which he never again mentions when he does show up, only doing that talking about death granting.

....If that's the case, I think his comments about how Luna
granting death instead of life was his conclusions to studying said rock.

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 97

Todays interest, pressed against windows

With a side of Ami Ass.

I knew what I wanted for pictures the moment I saw the preview. Anyway, Ami realizes that she's a bookworm and nothing more, and thus needs to develop her perso--- I mean her dreams and efforts. Also she's not very confrontational, as Michiru finds out after the swimming race. Whole lot of Ami panting when there were still shots, mmmmm.

Anyway, Mamoru, you like... hit on Ami back there, you have Usagi man, and now she's willing to go I won't lose to you Sailor Moon, I'll get Mamoru's cock! Which I think was a joke but still. Anything to make Ami more lewd is okay with me. Neptune and Uranus didn't intervene this time.

Mature

Fight! Iczer One - 1
uXXJYkv.png

Hey, the guy who was the animation director for Macross: DYRL directed an adaptation of a Mecha/Horror/Yuri manga? Okay!

And I guess the first step was to make everything in the show look like the animators were trying to copy Haruhiko Mikimoto illustrations. It's like playing telephone with character designs. Though a lot of stuff looked like this in the 80's, and it's not as if it's bad. There's worse things to wholesale copy, and I'll bet this wasn't the first or last time it happened in the decade. That entire dynamic of inspiration brings me to an observation of some of the more shallow OVAs that sprung up during the time: were they just producing a smattering of different concepts and ideas and making a mosaic out of them? I got nearly the same vibe from Dark Cat, amongst others. Usually there's some mysterious pretty boy/girl wearing a suit or something generally snazzy, there's monsters that are far, far over the top disgusting, a beam sword is thrown into the equation at some point, and a lot of vague technobabble of the mysticism variety. I wonder if people were complaining about the market being saturated back then too.

The plot, in short, is about this "Cthulu" alien species who are really into hurting the earth, but seemingly by entirely inconvenient means; notably by creating an alternate dimension in order to harass and torture a single highschool girl. Kinda like Dark Cat! They ultimately want to replace them by using all sorts of phallic, bloody, fleshy appendages. Kinda like Dark Cat! There's almost a bit of an Evangelion element at play, as it sort of seems like this highschool girl is being forced to pilot a mecha and synchronize with the other person piloting it. Sounds sort of cool, but it amounted to crying and screaming in the buff while the robot wails on Kaijuu. Okay, maybe it's a tiny bit cool. Speaking of being in the buff, the first scene of the show was a nude, alien, yuri snogging scene. I know that excites at least one of you. The direction in the show is nearly non-existent. One scene leads exactly into the next without any finesse or purpose. Speaking of direction, the director, Toshihiro Hirano, who has possibly the most eclectic smattering of credits in the industry, seems to have started his directing career here. He also did the storyboard, screenplay, character design and some key animation. After being spread that thin, you'd think that something like the direction would be taking a hit.

Visually, it's what I've come to expect from an OVA in the 80's. Markedly weaker than some better known titles, but still nothing to scoff at. The character designs, aside from being reminiscent of a Mikimoto design (or perhaps a further down predecessor?), manage to be just generic. The aliens are humans with pointed ears and enormous hairstyles. The giant robot the protagonist pilots looks like a less realized Guymelef from The Vision of Escalfowne. The city scapes and other dimension designs are plain and empty. Some of the mechanical design is nice, but I would be offended if it wasn't given a lot of the staff being alumni of shows like SDFM amongst others.

cajunator

Banned
Fantasista Doll 5

Adorable Katia is adorable.
yuri doujins of her with Uzume's little sister nao pls

Also...

MAHOU SHOUJO ALPACA! Would watch.

That alpaca girl in the background is pretty adorable admittedly.

SAO Vol 2 stuff!

SAO-V2-Assets-Layout-LRG.jpg

Not enough LISBETH!

Well that was a thing.

Watamote 05

I've never felt enough wahjah to want to stop watching until this episode. I hate it when I trip and people make a big deal about it, and I hate spilling restaurant food almost as much.

As someone who falls out of chairs at work in extremely disruptive fashion on a common basis, I can tell you that you will eventually get used to it.

Im disappointed :(

I don't get it

The correct term is :kayo~s

cajunator

Banned
More than anything, all the Nostalgia Critic video is making me mad about is the Sailor Moon theme. You guys had it rough.

Hey now, the dub theme was actually pretty decent.

I dunno if I should feel ashamed for instantly recognizing the Steel Angel Kurumi theme they started to play at the 0:08 sec mark of this news clip. It was just the first 5 seconds of the track too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCY4LVMFLds

No shame in that. Its VERY recognizeable! I play it in my car all the time!

I was six in 94.

I was 12. Gosh that was a while ago!

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen

Episode 2

Another really nice post, and I agree with you that this episode did a great job of showing Jun's isolation. I liked seeing how he's changed since then in episode 5, where he actually smiles and spends more time out in the front of the store with Saito.

Branduil makes mention of it again where there's literally a physical wall at work separating him from his boss and co-worker most of the time. It makes it like he's there but not there at the same time.

Especially with him listening in on their muffled conversation about him.

You see she wears a key on a necklace and there's even a quick cut to it saying "pay attention to this" so I wonder what it could ultimately be representative of.

I figure it was just reminding Jun of the wind-up key for the Rozen Maidens; I don't know if there's anything to it beyond that.

The quick little story book side story that starts up in this episode adds another little bit of mystery that I wonder where it will ultimately go.

I'm curious about this myself, especially
after Jun's discovery of the book
in episode 5.

cajunator

Banned
Fight! Iczer One - 1
uXXJYkv.png

Hey, the guy who was the animation director for Macross: DYRL directed an adaptation of a Mecha/Horror/Yuri manga? Okay!

And I guess the first step was to make everything in the show look like the animators were trying to copy Haruhiko Mikimoto illustrations. It's like playing telephone with character designs. Though a lot of stuff looked like this in the 80's, and it's not as if it's bad. There's worse things to wholesale copy, and I'll bet this wasn't the first or last time it happened in the decade. That entire dynamic of inspiration brings me to an observation of some of the more shallow OVAs that sprung up during the time: were they just producing a smattering of different concepts and ideas and making a mosaic out of them? I got nearly the same vibe from Dark Cat, amongst others. Usually there's some mysterious pretty boy/girl wearing a suit or something generally snazzy, there's monsters that are far, far over the top disgusting, a beam sword is thrown into the equation at some point, and a lot of vague technobabble of the mysticism variety. I wonder if people were complaining about the market being saturated back then too.

The plot, in short, is about this "Cthulu" alien species who are really into hurting the earth, but seemingly by entirely inconvenient means; notably by creating an alternate dimension in order to harass and torture a single highschool girl. Kinda like Dark Cat! They ultimately want to replace them by using all sorts of phallic, bloody, fleshy appendages. Kinda like Dark Cat! There's almost a bit of an Evangelion element at play, as it sort of seems like this highschool girl is being forced to pilot a mecha and synchronize with the other person piloting it. Sounds sort of cool, but it amounted to crying and screaming in the buff while the robot wails on Kaijuu. Okay, maybe it's a tiny bit cool. Speaking of being in the buff, the first scene of the show was a nude, alien, yuri snogging scene. I know that excites at least one of you. The direction in the show is nearly non-existent. One scene leads exactly into the next without any finesse or purpose. Speaking of direction, the director, Toshihiro Hirano, who has possibly the most eclectic smattering of credits in the industry, seems to have started his directing career here. He also did the storyboard, screenplay, character design and some key animation. After being spread that thin, you'd think that something like the direction would be taking a hit.

Visually, it's what I've come to expect from an OVA in the 80's. Markedly weaker than some better known titles, but still nothing to scoff at. The character designs, aside from being reminiscent of a Mikimoto design (or perhaps a further down predecessor?), manage to be just generic. The aliens are humans with pointed ears and enormous hairstyles. The giant robot the protagonist pilots looks like a less realized Guymelef from The Vision of Escalfowne. The city scapes and other dimension designs are plain and empty. Some of the mechanical design is nice, but I would be offended if it wasn't given a lot of the staff being alumni of shows like SDFM amongst others.

Iczer OVAs are fine. Pretty fun nostalgic shmaltz. Its Iczelion you gotta worry about. Fuck Nagisa and her stupid self.
Kawaii Kawaii is adorable though.

cajunator

Banned
FIGHTING EVIL BY DA MOONLIGHT.

Ah...Sailor Moon. One of those shows that I can't enjoy now as much as I did back then.

What I expected from Sailor Moon is what I got in Nanoha.

It was pretty much that last 2 episode stretch of season one that infuriated me. Otherwise the DiC dub was alright. Fuck them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom