• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Romance", yes. "Old-school", I don't really know. I've been out of the loop for 15+ years, so those are my references.

Romantic, charming and well written anime, without any form of vulgarity or "fan service".

You would almost certainly like Sakamichi no Apollon.

It's set in the late '60s in Kyushu, and is about jazz, romance, and friendship. Especially the jazz, but I like the romantic subplots.

The direction and music are quite good as well, thanks in no small part to Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno.

-Setsuna-

I didn't expect so many responses and recommendations. Thank you very much, guys!

PS : Cnet128, your post was extremely informative. Thanks again for your time.

Jex

:DTL = BL

:cajun = cuuuuuuuuute hnnngh

:SDBurton = only girls in the garden

:Chet -= BOOBS

:wonzo = derp and QUALITY

:Firehawk = mono no aware, ephemeral passing of things

:Kurita = 3DPD

:kayo~s = wait, what?

:Corvo = TOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAATTTTTOOOOOEEEES AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGGEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

I don't think this thread is impenetrable enough. It moves too fast and is filled with community specific-slang but as long as we've got a vestige of the English language in our lexicon we're still being too outsider-friendly. You guys have to work harder.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I don't think this thread is impenetrable enough. It moves too fast and is filled with community specific-slang but as long as we've got a vestige of the English language in our lexicon we're still being too outsider-friendly. You guys have to work harder.
We should all introduce random Japanese words in our posts to make them look like we actually know what we are talking about, like animesuki. Wouldn't that be sugoi?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Considering :kayos is used outside of AnimeGAF, I'm not sure... =/

Theonik

We should all introduce random Japanese words in our posts to make them look like we actually know what we are talking about, like animesuki. Wouldn't that be sugoi?
I わかりません what あなた are talking about.

Go_Ly_Dow

Considering :kayos is used outside of AnimeGAF, I'm not sure... =/

forget gaf mentions.

At work yesterday i was discussing next-gen consoles with my friend and I mentioned how I will get a PS4. he asked why and I gave him some valid reasons.

Then he replied with "so you're not a Sony Pony then". Instantly I thought TOMAT! and asked him if he was a gaffer. He said he wasn't and he knows about it because it's all over the Internet.

Now there's an animegaffer who's made a global impact on society!
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

The Animesuki community doesn't really do that from what I've seen there, beyond standard terminology used by all anime fan communities including here.

A similar practice that does take place here that annoys me is the propensity to post impressions of non-Japanese works under their titles read in katakana, or straight out run-through-Google-Translate kanji, and using faux-Japanese names and suffixes for the characters. There's really no reason to that besides making discussions that much more impenetrable for the sake of "irony".

The solution is obviously to use proper, understandable English instead of reducing everything to shorthand slang, but that would be too much to ask of the Internet.

Jex

The solution is obviously to use proper, understandable English instead of reducing everything to shorthand slang, but that would be too much to ask of the Internet.

Well I wouldn't really attempt to stop people being people, that's an exercise in futility and frustration.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
A similar practice that does take place here that annoys me is the propensity to post impressions of non-Japanese works under their titles read in katakana, or straight out run-through-Google-Translate kanji, and using faux-Japanese names and suffixes for the characters. There's really no reason to that besides making discussions that much more impenetrable for the sake of "irony".
Which is why we should eschew the "anime" schtick and just talk about animation in general!

Theonik

Maybe it was wrong to assume the internet isn't totally ばか
Perhaps it's a totally 無駄 effort after all.

Go_Ly_Dow

I am in love with Silver Spoon..both the manga and the anime. One of the best in recent times for sure.

yeah. only picked up the anime a few days ago but it's nice, laid back and fun to watch.

a nice change of tone compared to something like Titan

cnet128

Banned
ダックの役割はにおい

あなたの役割は何ですか?
What is your function in life?

(Anyone who knows what I'm referencing here is cool in my books.)

I miss the old Kayos avatar. It fit his innocence well.

It really was perfect. Feels wrong to see kayos without it now.

CorvoSol

Can I use proper, understandable Portuguese instead? Eu gosto mais dessa idea. And by proper I meant lazily punctuated because I still haven't learned how to do that with a slovenly American keyboard.

Which is why we should eschew the "anime" schtick and just talk about animation in general!

This seems too enterprising for me.

あなたの役割は何ですか?
What is your purpose in life?

(Anyone who knows what I'm referencing here is cool in my books.)

Pokemon First Movie PAY UP I AM RIGHT NO DON'T SAY WHAT IT REALLY IS.

cnet128

Banned
Dammit I did the quote wrong now I look like an idiot.

The English should be "What is your FUNCTION in life". Anyone who got it from the misquote is extra cool ~.~

*edits the original post even though it's way too late*

(Misquoting my favourite movie, what is the world coming to...?)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Chu-Bra!! Episode 1: What did I just watch, I feel very unclean now, and no amount of washing will remove the metaphorical dirt now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom