• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
sadly she was thrown under the bus with Hikari in regards to dedicated episodes.

Honoka is ALWAYS thrown under the bus :(

Steins;Gate 1

Too too roo!

Pretty interesting so far. A research team consisting of a mad scientist, a costume designer, and an otaku computer hacker? Alright. Mad scientist has apparently figured out something related to time travel. Also those bananas looked nasty. Why would you eat those?

Congrats on starting one of my favorite recent series! Its a slow burn until around episode 10 or so but some of the setup is very important. actually most of it is. Pay attention to everything because some seemingly small things are VERY relevant!

bleh I accidentally fell asleep for like five hours and my whole evening disappeared and I woke up at about the time I usually go to sleep so now I don't know what I'm doing.

But...those were the only things that allowed me to derive some measure of enjoyment from it!

omg somebody knows my suffering. My parents always did this during the time I still lived with them (and still do when I go home to England to visit). Thankfully these days I can get around it to an extent by using the 3G on my iPad, but still. Annoying as fuck.

Is this HITSUZEN and Clamp being all xxxHOLiC before xxxHOLiC?

Starting from the recap is...not a good idea. The pacing may be awkward for a while in the middle there, but a lot of pretty important stuff still happens that the recap doesn't cover very effectively. And the pacing will probably be more bearable if you're blasting through the episodes rather than watching week-to-week anyway.

It's Ikuhara Symbolism Academy!

You forgot Porun. Though to be fair Porun got far too little focus for most of Max Heart.

I agree that Elena helped me get through E7AO. funny cause I havent even finished the original lol. So I guess I can go back and watch the original again and erase all the shit from AO. It will be like new!

Also three cheers for Porun. Best mascot. fuck Mipple and Mepple. Porun got stuck with hikari. Poor thing!

but it has Regina. that makes it way better than default.

For those brief moments it was... Although the first 7 were fine, but someone did say it was going to shit because the baby was in 8, and look how right that is.. (I think it was madp or regulus show)

BroCon 04

NwRZ5u5l.jpg

That was a lot more industry talk than I ever expected from this show.

Basketball Boy = Orange Hair > Twins > Red Tsundere > ALLTHERESTOFTHEM >>> Shota

Fantasista Doll - 3

Pretty interesting episode.

So not all of these dolls have a sense of free will like the main character's. They clearly disobeyed the protagonist's orders when she asked them to do the basic servant stuff. While they want to keep their master happy, the protagonist's dolls don't want to stoop to low levels.

This episode shows that most of them have a strong sense of loyalty, and will stoop to whatever low their master desires.

So we have dolls that try to be really human, and other dolls that force themselves not to have their own will.

I'm getting a Megaman NT warrior vibe from how this whole doll system works. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Hattori

Banned
Genshiken Nidaime
Episode 3

What a great episode. It started off slow for me, because I couldn't stand Madarame's new voice, but completely forgotten about it towards the end. Things are really getting interesting.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 21

Construct huge warehouse of goods, but only bother to pay for one cashier. Typical Majo Don.

Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 22

Doremi understands having a sibling, the rest don't.

Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 23

vpFpvGv.jpg

Somebody's trying hard not to be impressed.

Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 24

vMMW9oL.jpg

Oh my god this season really is K-ON. Mostly cake eating with nobody really paying much attention to the music club they belong to.

Mo~tto! Ojamajo Doremi 25

HOME ALONE

I8e7ZUr.jpg

eRMrl9Q.jpg

Fuck you show. Not cool.

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken Nidaime
Episode 3

What a great episode. It started off slow for me, because I couldn't stand Madarame's new voice, but completely forgotten about it towards the end. Things are really getting interesting.

Best girls not named Ohno

or girl and wannabe girl

Articalys

Oh, here's a proper article on the Haganai movie.

Along with a picture of Koji Seto and Kie Kitano in the lead roles:

5DzCeAO.jpg

Apparently Seto said/joked that he feels the role of Kodaka is a great fit for him since he also doesn't really have any friends.

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 2

"Faris-tan may be 3D, but she has a 2D soul!"

I rather like the comedic timing in the conversations in this show, particularly in Okabe's interactions with his landlord (watching original Japanese dub).

I don't know what Okabe has gotten himself caught up in here, but it seems like he somehow (when he sent that message to the otaku computer guy seems to be how) transported himself to one of those parallel lines of space-time that John Titor on the internet was talking about. Interesting how in this line, he's just appearing now as opposed to 2000, and the time-travel researcher's conference in this line has been cancelled when his research in the other line seemed to be based if not plagiarized wholesale from Titor's comments on time travel.

He seems to be fucking with the lines to some degree though. Kurisu went from freaked out by him when he first started examining her for her stab wound, to unthreatened and stomping his ass in a debate about time travel, to appearing at his door knowing his real name. Also there was that other girl who went from apprehensive and skittish and talking about the "truth" and asking about some old computer, to sending him a text filled with hearts and shit.

Toriko Episode 111 The Four Kings Assemble! the Gourmet World Monsters, the Four-Beasts, Awaken!
BP-9UW2CQAE23sp.png

Awful designs for all the four beasts. I wonder if this arc will reach the same despair levels that the bubble fruit arc attempted to reach. Would be an interesting change of pace, especially with all four kings involved even so characters that we all have interest in.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 2

"Faris-tan may be 3D, but she has a 2D soul!"

I rather like the comedic timing in the conversations in this show, particularly in Okabe's interactions with his landlord (watching original Japanese dub).

I don't know what Okabe has gotten himself caught up in here, but it seems like he somehow (when he sent that message to the otaku computer guy seems to be how) transported himself to one of those parallel lines of space-time that John Titor on the internet was talking about. Interesting how in this line, he's just appearing now as opposed to 2000, and the time-travel researcher's conference in this line has been cancelled when his research in the other line seemed to be based if not plagiarized wholesale from Titor's comments on time travel.

He seems to be fucking with the lines to some degree though. Kurisu went from freaked out by him when he first started examining her for her stab wound, to unthreatened and stomping his ass in a debate about time travel, to appearing at his door knowing his real name. Also there was that other girl who went from apprehensive and skittish and talking about the "truth" and asking about some old computer, to sending him a text filled with hearts and shit.

Faris is voiced by goddess Halko momoi.
This show goes straight up butterfly effect and its so awesome.

Kazzy

Well, I watched the movie first and liked it, but that was more based on the concept than anything else. I know the Japanese film industry isn't anything special, but it looking cheap and the lack of characters getting fleshed out disappointed me after how awesome the premise sounded.

Then a friend told me to read the manga. I was reluctant at first since I had "already experienced the story", but I started it anyway. I was blown away pretty quickly. First of all, I absolutely loved the art. Yeah, the gore was a bit much at times, but I thought it worked well in context even if some instances were way over the top.

What were just vehicles for despair in a fucked up plot became characters I actually cared about, as each one got fleshed out a good deal. Can't say that for anyone in the movie, which didn't give enough time for me to really be affected by any of the deaths. The manga was the complete opposite, making me legit depressed when
Shinji
died, especially after being the source of hope for a decently-sized chunk of the story. This also made me truly hate Kiriyama, a character that was only there to look cool and psychotic in the film. Made me conflicted when we actually got some more backstory on him, as well as the other villain, Mitsuko.

With the way it affected me, it ended up being 1 of 4 or so series that I actually gave a 10/10 on mangaupdates. Man, this is making me want to reread it. Need to find my collection for when I move anyway.

I'm not sure I quite agree with that assessment. The manga did dedicate more time to specific characters, but I didn't think that they really do much with it, and I felt like a lot of that drama was simply overwrought.

The manga does significantly diverge from the original narrative, but I don't be necessarily think that is for the better. The film adaptation does lose some of the character development of the original novel, but it does a great job of depicting the main conflict. It's much more true to the source material.

I think it's favorable to have seen the film before reading the novel as it gives you a much better grasp of the characters. If not the world. The novel has a much more overt political bent to it, and it's easy to see how (and where) it is critiquing Japanese youth culture in general.

Though, reading why you like the manga, I think that you would appreciate what the novel has to offer. Pretty much every character (apart from the obvious) get a chapter told from their perspective, which does a great deal to get you emotionally invested. It's worth noting that Kiriyama remains an utter Gary-Stu in all of these!

cnet128

Banned
Only my favoritest seiyuu in the whole wide world.

I only really know one role that she's done, but it's the only one that matters. Best Halko Momoi.

Free! 4

Ahahahaha. Rei really is great for a laugh, and this episode was really entertaining as a result.
I wonder if he will ever be able to swim anything other than butterfly...

Genshiken Nidaime
Episode 3

Agreed, I'm really liking the direction they're taking.

Revolutionary Girl Utena Ep 01

Utena design looks incredible and so does everything else in this show. I haven't been this in love with an anime's art since Penguindrum...gee I wonder why?

Onto episode two where more roses get shown!!

iH6IRDr62yGbj.jpg

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 3

Kurisu fucking rocks that tie, man.

Seems that old computer that girl in the last episode was talking about is something that John Titor is looking for. Apparently it's the key to defeating SERN. I don't know how a thirty-year old computer has the potential to defeat them and nothing else, but I guess it has something to do with IBN's specific programming language.

Otaku guy hacks SERN and discovers that there were human fatalities in their research with mini black holes with the LHC. Doesn't quite confirm what John Titor was talking about yet, but this does establish them as a seedy organization. I was wondering why at the beginning there was a disclaimer about how this doesn't reflect the views of Funimation and whatnot, and now I know why. The story is about how the particle research organization SERN in Europe discovers time travel and becomes the overlords of a dystopian future. Well, maybe not "about" at this stage, but they have significant plot involvement, and not in a positive light.

cajunator

Banned
He snares people with Sailor Moon before pushing them into Doremi. Before the person knows it, bam, he or she is a magical schoolgirl.

Im already a magical schoolgirl. but I was indoctrinated with other shows like Saint Tail and Magical Users Club.

Defuser

Free! ep 4

OH GOD MY EYES!! The Rei service is burning my eyes!

Since their former coach is appearing more often and being asked to help coach the team, I suspect he's gonna have hots for Ama-chan which he would agree to coach which the ep 5 preview semi-confirms it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom