• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

So that's what we call the opposite end of the Hitokage Truth-in-Hype Scale™ now?

Pick up the banner of Hosoda keeping Ikuhara in line and you're set.

Semi-related:

wwZMBLb.jpg

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
K-ON!! - 03

pjOMaJu.png
3kprYzV.png

:sdburton

Placed this on hold awhile back shortly after completing the first season as I was kinda at the point of burning out. Watching too many shows can be such a pain the ass at times.

Ritsu is still the best.

Hattori

Banned
Silver Spoon
First Impression

It definitely lived up to it's slice of life theme in that nothing of note truly happens. The characters are meh so far, the farming theme is somewhat ok (I mean I learned a thing or two while watching so it can't be all bad,) and the main protag is mediocre and uninteresting. It's not bad but it's not that good either.

------------------

From what I gathered, it seemed that the other people that lived out in the country
were possessed by the spirit and they were basically assimilating the boy's family into the group. Then when the boy wakes up during the ritual, he's frightened at everyone's eerie laughter and static faces. The spirit craves fear and sadness so I suppose you can put two and two together to figure out what happens next.

The idea is creepy enough, but the makeup and laughter really sell it for me.

hmm... I pretty much got the same conclusion as you, I'm probably just over thinking it.
I think the faces having reminded me of the Joker diminished some of the creepiness factor .

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Unfortunately bad animation is the worst possible way to deter someone off of something because it doesn't even do anything, especially when you watch a bunch of anime which has the jank of a video game.

I was referring to the fact that I only managed to get people more interested with something that was supposed to illustrate how awful it was D:

I really need to wrap up Max Heart ones of these days. Ugh.

I won't blame myself in your case because I can sympathize with completionist obsession.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I won't blame myself in your case because I can sympathize with completionist obsession.

Yep! We just have that need to see things through, no matter how bad it may be.

Going to alternate between this and K-ON!! and see what happens.

Falstaff

Banned
hey anime thread. ive started going through yoshiaki kawajiri's stuff recently after seeing his short in neo-tokyo. i saw ninja scroll years back and thought it was dumb, so i didn't pursue his stuff, but some of his 80s stuff like wicked city and demon city shinjuku are surprisingly well directed. what is the thread consensus on the dude?? (haven't had enough time to digest/think about these films and was wondering what more experienced nerdlords than I thought)

Narag

hey anime thread. ive started going through yoshiaki kawajiri's stuff recently after seeing his short in neo-tokyo. i saw ninja scroll years back and thought it was dumb, so i didn't pursue his stuff, but some of his 80s stuff like wicked city and demon city shinjuku are surprisingly well directed. what is the thread consensus on the dude?? (haven't had enough time to digest/think about these films and was wondering what more experienced nerdlords than I thought)

I really like the guy. Not sure how well received he is here but I find his work nearly always visually arresting. Scripts are usually mediocre but it seems to be a necessary evil to have some semblance of a story to tie together the action pieces together. Hell, even his Highlander anime film had dat Kawaijiri swag to it that kept it from being as terrible as it should have been.

Might check out the second Vampire Hunter D movie if you're working through his stuff. Story falls apart at the end but it's good up until then with some amazing visuals.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 02 - 05

I, unfortunately, can’t quite articulate why I’m enjoying Utena, but I am. It's abstract. It's mysterious. It's colorful. So yeah, I'm liking it.

Also the lyrics to one song was just a giant list of fossil names. Why? I don’t know!? SYMBOLISM!? To be fair, all the duel songs were really weird, but great.

iAi5il0NkF5qz.png

Narag

Also the lyrics to one song was just a giant list of fossil names. Why? I don’t know!? SYMBOLISM!? To be fair, all the duel songs were really weird, but great.

If that was Saionji, it was in reference to his outdated morality and beliefs. Anime thread taught me that. Thanks, animethread!!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I just go decent internet back on my tower so I can play games for the first time in 6 months.

Anyone wanna be friends on Steam? ;_; No? okay...

cajunator

Banned
You don't have to self-immolate to get your contrition across.

nonsense. Precure OT would be a great idea. Its popular enough and talked about enough.

I, unfortunately, can’t quite articulate why I’m enjoying Utena, but I am. It's abstract. It's mysterious. It's colorful. So yeah, I'm liking it.

iAi5il0NkF5qz.png

No one really knows why they love Utena. they just do.

survivor

Banned
K-On!! 21
Yui, what are you doing? Why did you mess up your hair? I just can't look at you now.

So
they all decided to go to the same college as Mugi right? They are not leaving her alone?

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 46

(will spoiler tag impressions just in case)

That scene where Sakura was having that dream where everybody forgot about the person they loved most was something. Part that impacted me the most was where Sakura started to say hello to the picture of Nadeshiko on the table only to realize it wasn't there, as her father had forgotten the feelings he had for her.

Based on the end resolution for how Yue chose Sakura as the official master of the cards, I'm not quite sure what the point of the whole thing was. Did Clow (who looked an awful lot like Sakura's dad) just want to make absolute sure that the cards were in the hands of a good-hearted person? I...guess that makes sense? They were setting something like this up when Yue said that nobody but Clow could defeat him. And Sakura didn't defeat him. Not in that way.

Still a little puzzled as to the role of Mizuki. Was she just sort of a designated holder of Clow's mulligan bells? Was she to Yue what Sakura was to Kero? Both? Well, she wasn't evil. She may want to stop acting so freaky in the future though. And Toya knew Yukito wasn't a human and about Mizuki and Sakura being a cardcaptor and all that...but I'm still wondering exactly what his role was. Clow mentioned something about creating "seemingly convenient" circumstances, but Toya didn't really do anything convenient so much as he was always conveniently there, if that makes sense. He just seems to be a guy who was up to everything going on and little more than that. Perhaps he was serving as Clow's eyes and ears, perhaps unknowingly? I don't know.

Last question: there are still 24 episodes left, and Sakura has collected all of the cards. Where does the show go from here? It will be interesting to see how the show handles Yukito. I'm not sure if he consciously knows what just happened, but Sakura and Toya and everybody else sure do. Will Sakura still be able to feel the same way about him despite knowing who he really is? Will anybody? And he's back for now, but what happens when Kero and Yue decide to transform back to their natural forms for good? Will the Yukito we all know and love then be gone forever?

nonsense. Precure OT would be a great idea. Its popular enough and talked about enough.

My issue is that the peak of Precure activity was around when I was still watching it going nuts over it, considering there were pictures galore and busting out after bottling my impressions until I decided to post here a day after my birthday. It pretty much calmed down once I finished Smile Precure (and effectively the entire franchise of what was available at the time). We also transitioned into a new thread. And with each thread, the talk dies down to the point that it's at a manageable level.

The only surges that happen is when Doki Doki Precure episodes come out, or someone's making a fuss about, inevitably causing activity to rise (which is their own undoing). I don't really care for the idea now because it's been dragged out to the point that it's stabilized and not really a "problem".

Hattori

Banned
Blood Lad
Episode 3

Things are starting to heat up. New character is pretty interesting. I really like the references and cameos, and that fight was pretty unique in terms of a traditional shonen show.

Falstaff

Banned
I really like the guy. Not sure how well received he is here but I find his work nearly always visually arresting. Scripts are usually mediocre but it seems to be a necessary evil to have some semblance of a story to tie together the action pieces together. Hell, even his Highlander anime film had dat Kawaijiri swag to it that kept it from being as terrible as it should have been.

Might check out the second Vampire Hunter D movie if you're working through his stuff. Story falls apart at the end but it's good up until then with some amazing visuals.

i'd take bad scripts over bad direction any day. His stuff reminds me of a more abrasive seijun suzuki, in terms of angular cinematography, bizarre pacing of genre tropes, etc. Apparently he worked on the mushipro cleopatra thing which makes sense since he is like dezaki if dezaki flushed his shots with flickering neon lights and did exploitation films

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo 17

Albert you are in way to far over your head. Way to grow a proto-backbone at the least opportune time.

GIANT ROBOTS. YES. ALL MY YES.

Wait. Albert only 15? WTF. No.

kinda an uneventful episode honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom