• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attack on Titan 12-13

So now maybe I'm at the end of the Trost arc? It has really been stretched out quite a bit. To be honest it hasn't bothered me that much (Well, aside from
Eren spending probably an episode's worth of time sitting on his ass in Titan form)
probably because I've been able to watch the episodes in quicker succession rather than having to wait a week in between.

As an aside, this whole Eren/Titan thing is more reminding me of a mecha anime largely due to Eren's disposition (aside from the obvious fact that Eren is "piloting" a Titan). Maybe they'll pull a "Gundam" and give him a mid-season upgrade? :p

Meganebu! got nice for the summer.
tumblr_mrjp1l55Qp1rlbkrbo1_500.jpg

Chronoexe

Yeah, with all the Gundam Girls out there, it kinda surprises me to learn that Mazinger is the first to make this a show.

School Days 3

Every single thing that these people do makes me annoyed, vexed, or frustrated in a way I cannot accurately put into words. Like I just wanna grab 'em all by the shoulders and shake them and tell them to stop being such freaking putzes and get their heads together. Or something. Just, like, one, SO tired of Staring Girl. Like seriously, I don't like the quiet girl type anyway, but Staring Girl is as creepy as it gets and I am SO over that. Next up? Katsura. Like honestly, just fucking cry already you wuss. Either cry or get that fucking "I'm going to cry because you almost touched me" look off your fucking germophobic face. God, you terrible moe mope, is it so much to ask that at any point in a given episode you smile and don't make it look like you're trying to smile at a goddamn funeral for puppies?

And then there's the protagonist. Makoto is, I dunno, I can't describe why, but Itou just pisses me off.

And this episode there was a whole bunch of other girls who had the same face and just kept picking on Katsura and feeding her need to look like she's gonna cry and I don't know, but they were all soooooo dumb.
At first, I feared this show was going to be like watching and knowing a train was going to crash and not being able to turn it away. Now I actively await the train's coming, so I can see all of these people just blow up in some horrid way. All these people need to just implode in some grandiose fashion so I can feel better about all this noise. Gah, just wanna shake them all.

OMFGGGGGGGG corvo is watching School days

this is going to be good

Caesnd

That shot is kind of Liefeld-esque, to be honest.

What's bad about it? In any drawing the artist has to make decisions in design to achieve the goal he or she has in mind. Mai Yoneyama (who I think drew this?)
clearly prioritized a more dynamic and stylish look in the composition over realistic anatomy. It works really well imo.

Yoshinari's picture is the best though. Please tell me someone has a high res version of it on hand!

Branduil

What's bad about it? In any drawing the artist has to make decisions in design to achieve the goal he or she has in mind. Mai Yoneyama (who I think drew this?)
clearly prioritized a more dynamic and stylish look in the composition over realistic anatomy. It works really well imo.

Yoshinari's picture is the best though. Please tell me someone has a high res version of it on hand!

I can't think of anyone besides Liefeld when I see spines distorted to such a comical degree for the sake of T&A. Not to mention the waist that's thinner than her thighs.

Also, no feet!

Oh man I've been itching for some Sailor Moon. Never seen much beyond the original series so I should rectify that soon.

Things that are shocking as an early 90s anime fan: Discovering that while there is a big beautiful Macross Plus blu-ray box set out in Japan with English subs for the movie and an English dub included for the OAV.

m.jpg

I purchased it from CD Japan along with some albums I had been wanting, but later on went back to cancel it after reading that the subs were poor and the dub was sorta botched. I'm sort of waiting for a nice 5.1 movie version with corrected subs to show up yet it seems that the people who do that stuff don't really care. I'm also wondering if I should just bite the bullet on the JP box before it's all gone. Sort of hard to justify since I still wouldn't be able to enjoy it perfectly and that makes those JP blu-ray prices hard to swallow.

Speaking of JP blu-rays I think I'm starting to go down a rabbit hole. I'm eye-balling the Yamato 2199 releases along with all the Ghibli stuff. Can anyone speak to the quality of the English subtitles included on these releases? They call the Yamato "Yamato", right?

Another general anime whiny thing. Nozomi is putting out the original Cobra TV, right? Sadly, it seems it's only a DVD release. I'll buy it, but I'd pay so much more for a blu-ray release. It's awesome that companies are releasing a lot of classic anime yet I'm always saddened to see that the blu-ray rights are almost always skipped over. Thank god for Patlabor though. I bought a lot of the Honneamise releases back in the day and I don't regret any of them. Is it fucked up to say I sort of miss Bandai Visual? I guess I would be more adverse to the model with a TV show. Paying $60 for a movie I fucking love isn't the hardest thing to do.

I'm also very happy to hear that Cowboy Bebop blu-ray box is getting an North American release! I hope Funimation can do something cool with the package design.

Syrinx

School Days 3

Every single thing that these people do makes me annoyed, vexed, or frustrated in a way I cannot accurately put into words. Like I just wanna grab 'em all by the shoulders and shake them and tell them to stop being such freaking putzes and get their heads together. Or something. Just, like, one, SO tired of Staring Girl. Like seriously, I don't like the quiet girl type anyway, but Staring Girl is as creepy as it gets and I am SO over that. Next up? Katsura. Like honestly, just fucking cry already you wuss. Either cry or get that fucking "I'm going to cry because you almost touched me" look off your fucking germophobic face. God, you terrible moe mope, is it so much to ask that at any point in a given episode you smile and don't make it look like you're trying to smile at a goddamn funeral for puppies?

And then there's the protagonist. Makoto is, I dunno, I can't describe why, but Itou just pisses me off.

And this episode there was a whole bunch of other girls who had the same face and just kept picking on Katsura and feeding her need to look like she's gonna cry and I don't know, but they were all soooooo dumb.
At first, I feared this show was going to be like watching and knowing a train was going to crash and not being able to turn it away. Now I actively await the train's coming, so I can see all of these people just blow up in some horrid way. All these people need to just implode in some grandiose fashion so I can feel better about all this noise. Gah, just wanna shake them all.

Dude, you don't even know the half of it.

Yes, of course, the bd has good quality subs...Why wouldnt they call it the Yamato?

It seems that the company wants to push it in other territories as "Starblazers" and the new test dub from comic-con referrers to the ship as the Argo. Since the subs are of good quality I assume they were intended for English speaking people. Just wondering how consistent they were being with their Starblazers push.

I purchased it from CD Japan along with some albums I had been wanting, but later on went back to cancel it after reading that the subs were poor and the dub was sorta botched. I'm sort of waiting for a nice 5.1 movie version with corrected subs to show up yet it seems that the people who do that stuff don't really care. I'm also wondering if I should just bite the bullet on the JP box before it's all gone. Sort of hard to justify since I still wouldn't be able to enjoy it perfectly and that makes those JP blu-ray prices hard to swallow.

Didn't know this set existed, but that is unfortunate about the subs/dub. I still might end up getting this anyway because Harmony Gold :/.

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure!: 09

And then Tentacle monster!

Nah, but seriously, this was the "One Precure might have to leave the group" episode, concluding with the ever so obvious "We could never split up!" proclamation.

Articalys

Oh, apparently that Kagero Project anime based on a bunch of Vocaloid songs (that also have manga and novel adaptations) still exists, and it's being helmed by Shaft and Akiyuki Shinbo. Though I guess since he has his hands full with Nisekoi, this still won't be out for a long time.

You can learn more about the whole franchise here.

Didn't know this set existed, but that is unfortunate about the subs/dub. I still might end up getting this anyway because Harmony Gold :/.

It's such a shame! I wish I had a little more info about the quality of the movie version's subs because the few posts I've seen on Macross forums only give a few hints as to what's bad about it. Are the subs poor only to someone who's used to the older Manga subs are are they Chinese bootleg bad? If you end up ordering this (beautiful *drool*) boxset let me know.

fertygo

It's such a shame! I wish I had a little more info about the quality of the movie version's subs because the few posts I've seen on Macross forums only give a few hints as to what's bad about it. Are the subs poor only to someone who's used to the older Manga subs are are they Chinese bootleg bad? If you end up ordering this (beautiful *drool*) boxset let me know.

Well english sub from japanese blu-ray often not too reliable, so its not hard to imagine there's problem with this release too.

Jarmel

Banned
So an official playlist for the Kanno concert came out:

Tank
Nomad Soul
Katarina(I have no clue what this is from)
Innocent Greem
Resonance of the Earth
Gravity
Fanelia
Monochrome
Apollon Blue
Rakuen
Power of the Light
Someday My Prince Will Come
The Real Folk Blues
Wo Qui Non Coin
Star Spangled Banner
Tank!

http://www.filmsmash.com/?p=11450

They also have a message from Kanno and some pictures of the concert and how she used the piano. Really fun stuff.

Madoka Magica's Shinbo, SHAFT Animate Vocaloid Producer Jin's Kagerō Project

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-animate-vocaloid-producer-jin-kagero-project

After reading some expert opinions about the Vocaloid scene and Kagerō Project, Mekaku City Actors is fucking big.
Oh, apparently that Kagero Project anime based on a bunch of Vocaloid songs (that also have manga and novel adaptations) still exists, and it's being helmed by Shaft and Akiyuki Shinbo. Though I guess since he has his hands full with Nisekoi, this still won't be out for a long time.

Some of the character designs I occasionally see for that franchise always look really compelling. Will look forward to more on this in the future.

Theonik

Marie & Gali 01
ibgmQ9sqn5CPlh.png
inXmoA3YZqJlE.png

Those Umakoshi designs. [REDACTED]
I suppose I should introduce this first, this is a 5 minute short series that aired in the NHK with the intent to introduce children to science etc etc. The character designs were done by none other than Umakoshi! I watched the first episode a few weeks ago and decided I should actually post about it here, I originally became interested in this from the Umakoshi art book where it was featured.
In this episode we are introduced to the main character a Gothic Lolita that mysteriously wanders off to a place called Galibahara, where all great scientists live. There he meets Galileo Galilei and they have adventures where they meet more great scientists etc etc.
Pretty entertaining episode.

Marie & Gali 02
ilcXu6kUntrMh.png
i4ntzaTkMtmLE.png
iKB1Uq413dxGI.png

Umakoshi faces!
Look at that :SDBurton. Poor Mr. Curie, first forgotten from history now his wife is going with girls. Also this first person kick sequence was very neat.
Good legs too
. Look at all them scientists.
A very decent episode.

Marie & Gali 03
ib1yhPZQKJIIx0.png
iGOLovw5HOlbe.png
ijzJhRm60abo9.png

Cobraja as Newton.
More Umakoshi faces, lewdness, and what is probably one of the cutest Ojousama laughs I've ever heard.
Great episode. The butler/sheep pun had me.

Marie & Gali 04
This episode was comparably boring, it focused on Heinrich hertz's Ramen store where he made ramen using waves. Not too bad though an episode though it just lacked something. Like Hertz's noodles.
Another thing I really like about the show is that each episode has its own title card with each seemingly being drawn by a different artist which is something I've seen before of course but it's still neat:
icIzzDg2LBdG5.png
iby5EC80pOWvC0.png
ibfyxzWx8NkbPq.png

:cajun, 4th one is above

It will transform into a jdrama by the last episode!

And then Kurita is gonna watch it!

Meganebu! got nice for the summer.
[.IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/a031c3bb598f8e418024c2a20211b350/tumblr_mrjp1l55Qp1rlbkrbo1_500.jpg[/IMG]

And we got a show already jumping on the Free! hype.

Hypeddddddddddddddddddddddd!

I hope this leads to more Vocaloid song series adaptation. I want a Shuuen no Shiori adaptation.

faridmon

LTTP but I think I discovered something called second season syndrome where the second season of everything I love ends up disappointing.

The latest victim; Baka no Test. So far, its a shitty second season (up to Ep. 5)

Fresh Pretty Cure!: 09

And then Tentacle monster!

Nah, but seriously, this was the "One Precure might have to leave the group" episode, concluding with the ever so obvious "We could never split up!" proclamation.

I would probably give money to see someone actually go through splitting them up by the end of the episode....

Tenumi

Banned
I would probably give money to see someone actually go through splitting them up by the end of the episode....

Hey, Super Sentai has replacement rangers, why can't Precure have replacements, too!

Fresh Pretty Cure!: 11

So their "dance" teacher refuses to teach them because they are late ONCE. Because, you know, Pretty Cure stuff. But everything ends up fine in the end because plot and stuff.

Defuser

Majestic Doberman ep 19

OKY4AHm.png

We know, We know...

"Getting married after the war is over", "It's a promise!" "I got gotta to tell you you after this!" Damn, I can't believe they crammed in three death flags cliches in one episode, there is some meta shit going on. RIP Randy and Patrick, ironically Chandra's death flag was the strongest yet he survived. RIP

Hey, Super Sentai has replacement rangers, why can't Precure have replacements, too!

Fresh Pretty Cure!: 11

So their "dance" teacher refuses to teach them because they are late ONCE. Because, you know, Pretty Cure stuff. But everything ends up fine in the end because plot and stuff.

Does Cure Ace count?

Ambitious

Fullmetal Alchemist 51

Quite disappointed by this series. I don't even feel like writing a lengthy review. When I asked if I should watch FMA or FMA: Brotherhood, opinions seemed to be split equally, so I had decided to simply watch both, starting with FMA.. but now I've really got enough of this franchise. The series was far too long and the filler episodes (are they actual fillers?) were annoying (e.g. warehouse 13). And with 64 episodes, FMA:B is even longer. Maybe at some point in the future..

I guess now I'll give Basilisk a try. Is it good?

Fullmetal Alchemist 51

Quite disappointed by this series. I don't even feel like writing a lengthy review. When I asked if I should watch FMA or FMA: Brotherhood, opinions seemed to be split equally, so I had decided to simply watch both, starting with FMA.. but now I've really got enough of this franchise. The series was far too long and the filler episodes (are they actual fillers?) were annoying (e.g. warehouse 13). And with 64 episodes, FMA:B is even longer. Maybe at some point in the future..

I guess now I'll give Basilisk a try. Is it good?

Well FMA Brotherhood is all canon, while FMA diverged to tons of filler. Pretty unfortunate that you got burnt out on that :(

LTTP but I think I discovered something called second season syndrome where the second season of everything I love ends up disappointing.

The latest victim; Baka no Test. So far, its a shitty second season (up to Ep. 5)
You should watch Working! if you haven't already so this doesn't happen next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom