• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

devil fruits in a nutshell.

who the fuck cares, haki > all devil fruits because oda just makes new systems on the fly.

you know... dbz might be the only endless shounen that i can think of off the top of my head that kept combat pretty consistent since day 1 for better or worse.

Devil Fruit was never meant to be the intrinsic power to decide a fight. Thank god there is actually something skill related power that deliver the goods.

It's like you guys don't even watch the show.

The prologue and ED are full of spoilers.
iii don't want to look for clues ..and i haven't paid attention to either of them !
( i will next week )

who the fuck cares, haki > all devil fruits because oda just makes new systems on the fly.

you know... dbz might be the only endless shounen that i can think of off the top of my head that kept combat pretty consistent since day 1 for better or worse.

No haki is nothing but trained willpower and willpower in shonen is as deadly as friendship.
Haki is a complementary system that
-allow him to make crazy devil fruits power without restrain because haki is there
-clearly classed by categories ( unlike most of the other shonen rules , except Hunter x hunter )

cnet128

Banned
cnet and Sephiroth only need 3 more members for their Incest Appreciation Club to be officially recognised. You guys can have the old Literary Club room.

Hang on, I'll see if I can find any "adorable" animal costumes so that we can parade ourselves around handing out badly-drawn flyers and campaigning for new members. That always works.

Correct. I do not like the little sister. At all. I find her to be a horrible character and not even cute.

Every word is like a dagger in my heart.

I don't know about the books or the games or whatever, I've only watched the anime, but the whole thing came off very innocently to me. The Oreimo anime didn't feel like it was really about a sister wanting to fuck her brother, it seemed more like a innoncent child looking up to her big brother, and being so innocent that she would want to marry him WITHOUT understanding the consequences of what that actually means in life.

To me it seemed like a little girl wanting to place house with her brother, maybe she was into it a little too much, but the thought of sex wasent even something she could grasp in those early years.

Even in the scene where
they are in the hotel playing that Christmas eroge, when the sex scene comes up she becomes very uncomfortable and distraught.

I understand why people are so terrified of this anime, but I don't really think it's about a sexual relationship at all. It's just about a girl wanting a childhood fantasy to come true, and a brother who cares about his sister enough to play along.

I guess that's why I enjoyed it, it's a very non-traditional story with very unique characters, I've certainly never seen anything like it before. And while I can see why people think it's about sex, and maybe it even jokes around with the idea, i don't think it's really about that.

That's a very interesting interpretation, but I don't think it's in line with what the show was going for at all. There's never any indication that Kirino and Kyousuke's feelings for one another were anything other than legitimate.

I mean, I'm pretty sure
when Kyousuke went around rejecting the other girls in favour of his sister, and then finally worked up the nerve to confess to her, he did so without any knowledge of her feelings on the matter, and wasn't really expecting her to say yes. He went through with it because he had feelings for her, not because of some desire to grant any fantasy of Kirino's.

Not to mention
last second backtrack
. If you are doing
incest ending at least go to end with it then. Now it had fucking no ending.
Ending was one huge troll.

Yet another reason , why the psp storylines are better ( and you can tell those were the writter idea, he probably felt too much pressure to do it all the way )

Oh he wanted to do it that way, the
last backtrack was probably something that he was forced to do.

Obviously I'm no psychic, so I don't know for sure what the author was thinking, but the way the novels ended didn't come across to me as something that he was forced into doing, and it didn't feel very "last-minute" to me either. Much of the endgame was definitely setting up for and/or foreshadowing this decision.

If anything, the Kirino route in the PSP games was the one that felt like a cop-out, since it took the easy way out of
revealing that Kirino and Kyousuke weren't actually blood related, so that they could have a happy ending with no real issues or consequences.
Though the anime skipped over it (like so much else), there was a good deal of discussion in the final novel where
Kirino and Kyousuke criticized this trope in games, and kind of hung the lampshade on the fact that there wasn't going to be any such easy way out for them in real life - the problem wasn't just going to disappear, they would have to face up to it and find their own solution.
I feel like this was partly the author trying to convey his own preference for the novels' more realistic approach, bittersweet though it may end up being.

In-bu needs to be an actual anime. I have the draft made in my head and everything.

"In-bu"? I hope you realise that's an actual Japanese word meaning "genitals" >.>

Monogatari 7-

talk,talk,talk,talk,talk

I don't mind a lot of dialogue but this was too much.

HERESY.

Premise should be interesting and I wonder if the outcome is going to be an older Snail in the present. I would love to see what an 18 year old Snail looks like.

Since the life expectancy of snails is generally less than ten years, I imagine an 18-year-old snail would look something like a stain on the ground.

An 18-year-old Mayoi, on the other hand, is something that doesn't need to be considered, because she is eternally loli and that's the way she should stay.

All the In-bu club members are single children... until our protagonist discovers he has a long-lost sister.

With the help of his club, can he make his dreams come true?

I like the sound of this, in a completely-shameless-wish-fulfilment-fantasy kind of way. Especially since judging from the way this bizarre discussion has been going, it sounds like I *am* the protagonist.

Hang on, though. I'm not an only child. I have two brothers. THIS IS A CLEAR CONTRADICTION, YOUR HONOR!

but then you have assholes like that admiral that got the light fruit... the fuck you do against that?

MIRRORS

faridmon

I am actually surprised OreImo didn't use some sort of ''One of them are adopted, so its Ok if they bang each other'' ramp card for an easy way out.

but again, we wouldn't have this outrage....

Articalys

Apparently if I continue to read this thread without catching up on the three Monogatari episodes I've missed I'm going to wind up having the whole series spoiled for me by the LN-readers.

sonicmj1

I like the sound of this, in a completely-shameless-wish-fulfilment-fantasy kind of way. Especially since judging from the way this bizarre discussion has been going, it sounds like I *am* the protagonist.

Hang on, though. I'm not an only child. I have two brothers. THIS IS A CLEAR CONTRADICTION, YOUR HONOR!

We can work with this, since it doesn't really affect the premise. It creates more potential conflict vectors, and provides plenty of gag opportunities involving the protagonist and the token female fujoshi club member imagining him hooking up with his brothers.

Kurita

I don't know if you can say that it was made on the fly, Shanks used it in the first chapter (although we didn't know it was called haki).

Hang on, I'll see if I can find any "adorable" animal costumes so that we can parade ourselves around handing out badly-drawn flyers and campaigning for new members. That always works.
if you have girls, then bunny girls , if you have males, then host costume !
who cares about adorable costumes ? ( aside from maybe cajun ? )

Obviously I'm no psychic, so I don't know for sure what the author was thinking, but the way the novels ended didn't come across to me as something that he was forced into doing, and it didn't feel very "last-minute" to me either. Much of the endgame was definitely setting up for and/or foreshadowing this decision.

If anything, the Kirino route in the PSP games was the one that felt like a cop-out, since it took the easy way out of
revealing that Kirino and Kyousuke weren't actually blood related, so that they could have a happy ending with no real issues or consequences.
Though the anime skipped over it (like so much else), there was a good deal of discussion in the final novel where
Kirino and Kyousuke criticized this trope in games, and kind of hung the lampshade on the fact that there wasn't going to be any such easy way out for them in real life - the problem wasn't just going to disappear, they would have to face up to it and find their own solution.
I feel like this was partly the author trying to convey his own preference for the novels' more realistic approach, bittersweet though it may end up being.

No that's not what i'm saying , i agree with you on the fact that the Lns actually went for this end properly..no problem here. the fact that the psp game written by the same guy has a very similar end is another proof.

BUT i think that the psp end is better and the
reveal that they aren't related
satifies everyone, including me. it's clear and simple.

The way the final novel handled things ,
the conclusion is that they choose to hide this from society was high and that's the way i interpreted this end BECAUSE they had so much time thinking about the consequences , hence why i think the author made the ending that way on purpose too. The solution was actually to hide is the way i see how it happenned.
As you said , the anime ( that i haven't seen because ..well i was tired of they were handling things ) probably skipped too many things and the end result seen by anime only viewers is that they "reverted" when in fact i think they didn't.

If i don't think like that i just can't justify all that happenned , because IMO it doesn't make sense otherwise

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure!: 15

So Setsuna tries to integrate with the main cast in order to steal their transformation devices or something evil like that. But friendship and all that stops that.

Also, incompetent villains are incompetent.

Uchouten kazoku - 07

This show doesn't hold his best moments.

Damn if this wasn't a splendy way to handle a story.

Damn if this show isn't better than expected.

Branduil

*sigh* When I say I think being against incest on principle is silly, I obviously don't mean that people should start treating it as a TOTALLY NORMAL THING that EVERYONE SHOULD BE DOING YOU GAIS. On account of not being an oblivious idiot, I'm perfectly aware that there are biological issues with the offspring of such relationships, and I think inherent biological tendencies (as well as social norms on top of that) are more than enough to ensure that such relationships are always going to be an incredibly rare occurrence.

I just think that in the unlikely event that they do occur, it's silly to treat such relationships as horrible and offensive on a personal level. Unless the couple in question are planning to have children (and I'd like to think most people are sane enough to not go down that route), there's really nothing fundamentally wrong with it if that's what both parties want.

To bring up an awkward analogy (because doesn't everybody just love those), you could even say that hating on incest is essentially the same as homophobia. Both are a case of dismissing the validity of a relationship because it's a) not in line with most people's inherent sexual preferences (most people aren't attracted to the same sex/close relatives), and b) biologically illogical because it's not going to produce viable offspring.

Thanks a lot for sharing your perpective. It helped me become slightly more happy about the ending too. And yeah, this really should've been two seasons...

We allow people who are retarded and have genetic diseases to have kids, so why not siblings? Their kids have way better odds.

Then post that list, please. I'll be waiting.

ibntmvm9OUP4ub.gif

I don't know if you can say that it was made on the fly, Shanks used it in the first chapter (although we didn't know it was called haki).

shanks also lost an arm to a shark or something.

i think that was before oda decided that he was gonna be like one of the strongest guy around.

shanks also lost an arm to a shark or something.

i think that was before oda decided that he was gonna be like one of the strongest guy around.

Well there was plenty of oda stuff in the artbook of one piece where you can clearly see that he was planning plenty of stuff years , years before they appeared ( like brook for example or laboon) i mean when laboon appeared , everyone treated it as a small side story with nothing important and then thriller bark happenned.

Oda planned one piece details , lots of them... that i can't deny.

As for shanks , he was strong from the start, no way that wasn't planned too.

So I'm now completely caught up with Attack on Titan. I'm still liking it, but the pacing is really problematic for me. Seems to me that any major story revelation gets needlessly dragged out. I will say that Levi is by far my favorite character just based on his disposition.

After getting caught up I've started my rewatch of Madoka, this time on BD with the English dub. Through 4 episodes I'd say the dub is ok. Nowhere near as offensively bad as something like Infinite Stratos. I've always liked the show's abstract and occasionally bizarre art style and being on BD certainly helps bring it out more.

If there's one thing I always liked about One Piece is that devil fruits (and now haki) was mostly the explanation for most battles. I didn't have to learn different systems or how they do it, I just had to know that they ate a fruit and they can use *insert power*. I think the only thing someone needs to learn about One Piece if you want to go in-depth about the fighting is zoan, logia, and paramecia type fruits (which really doesn't need to be learned to understand the fighting).

Also I like that devil fruits never decide a battle, almost everyone is strong devil fruit or not. Zoro, Mihawk, Shanks, Sanji, Franky, and the countless members of the Navy that were strong without one are good examples. Especially in the beginning of the series where Luffy was getting
destroyed by Krieg and Arlong before he won

This is mostly the reason I understand One Piece and like it's fighting, especially compared to other shounen shows. I always hate watching shounen anime's where I have to look up a wiki just to understand the fighting or look it up on google.

Highschool dxd New - 07

Ah this episode ...Was as good as i expected.

New opening is MUCH MUCH better.
New ending is great ... nice music , nice lewdness ( still not as great as the first season but still pretty much awesome ).

Now pool part was superb:
High%20School%20DxD%20New%20-%2007.jpg

There is no better way than to make an impression in a harem anime.
They did change some things a little , but that was to remind the viewers of some things around and speed things up a bit ..i welcome the change ... Also this was LEWD in so many ways i can't even process it , we'renot TO-LOVE RU lewd , but we're close , very close even.

Next week should be the first apperance of gasper ..i hope they don't mess this up , but they shouldn't since they got everything else right.

Oh and there was also , lucifer & vali in this episode , ah this arc will deliver i have no doubts.

If you can find a way to do so without getting the BD's, then go for it. Not really sure why I bought it at this point but that was definitely not one of the reasons.

Hm. I'll just youtube a clip. I don't need to watch it all in dubs >_<

Do the blurays have subs? I wouldn't mind picking it up if it does. I enjoyed IS and I'm ready for season two.

jbug617

Banned

Do the blurays have subs? I wouldn't mind picking it up if it does. I enjoyed IS and I'm ready for season two.

Yeah the bluray has subs. It also has the soundtrack, commentary, Radio IS and the OVA. Pretty good package done by Sentai.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Definitely more wholesome than SAO.

At least SAO went somewhere. Even if it's bad, it gave me laughs and I had fun watching it. No fun was had watching girls do nothing but dumb things that rubbed off as pointless and everything but cute.

Kurita

This is mostly the reason I understand One Piece and like it's fighting, especially compared to other shounen shows. I always hate watching shounen anime's where I have to look up a wiki just to understand the fighting or look it up on google.
Never read the later parts of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure then, it can get confusing as hell :lol

Highschool dxd New - 07

Ah this episode ...Was as good as i expected.

New opening is MUCH MUCH better.
New ending is great ... nice music , nice lewdness ( still not as great as the first season but still pretty much awesome ).

Now pool part was superb:

They did change some things a little , but that was to remind the viewers of some things around and speed things up a bit ..i welcome the change ... Also this was LEWD in so many ways i can't even process it , we'renot TO-LOVE RU lewd , but we're close , very close even.

Next week should be the first apperance of gasper ..i hope they don't mess this up , but they shouldn't since they got everything else right.

Oh and there was also , lucifer & vali in this episode , ah this arc will deliver i have no doubts.

I thought for ecchi anime on air in Japan they weren't allowed to show nipples or something? I see High School DXD do it a lot but I see shows like Hyakka Ryouran and Manyuu Hikenchou cover them up.

Does Highschool DXD come on at a special time in Japan to do this, is it the studios that do this, when it's put on the internet, or am I just lost here?

Yep, there are subs. I'd agree that the package itself is pretty good and still worth getting if you're a fan. Not sure if there was any UK release of it though.

EDIT: Beaten :p

I thought for ecchi anime on air in Japan they weren't allowed to show nipples or something? I see High School DXD do it a lot but I see shows like Hyakka Ryouran and Manyuu Hikenchou cover them up.

Does Highschool DXD come on at a special time in Japan to do this, is it the studios that do this, when it's put on the internet, or am I just lost here?

Depend on the studio , budget , the Tv channed but the deciding factor is the time where the anime is aired.
People fansubbing don't/can't magically uncensor videos like that ( that's what BD releases are for , as shown by to love-ru darkness )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom