• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Smile Precure 31

Joker seems like he could fuck up everything the Precure do anytime he really wants. Why does he spend so much time fucking around? He chastises the others for not being able to defeat them, yet he probably could any time he wanted.

Smile Precure 31

Joker seems like he could fuck up everything the Precure do anytime he really wants. Why does he spend so much time fucking around? He chastises the others for not being able to defeat them, yet he probably could any time he wanted.

Dude's a Joker, that's why.

Aww, I missed the One Piece discussion

Highschool dxd New - 07

Ah this episode ...Was as good as i expected.

New opening is MUCH MUCH better.
New ending is great ... nice music , nice lewdness ( still not as great as the first season but still pretty much awesome ).

Now pool part was superb:

They did change some things a little , but that was to remind the viewers of some things around and speed things up a bit ..i welcome the change ... Also this was LEWD in so many ways i can't even process it , we'renot TO-LOVE RU lewd , but we're close , very close even.

Next week should be the first apperance of gasper ..i hope they don't mess this up , but they shouldn't since they got everything else right.

Oh and there was also , lucifer & vali in this episode , ah this arc will deliver i have no doubts.

Well, it looks like Xenovia is now competing with Rias for 2nd place.

cnet128

Banned
What I don't understand it's the people' obession with it?

Incest? How is that new in anime?!! What about Angel Sanctuary, Koi Kaze, Lament of the Lamb, Narutaru, and that's on top of my head, I'm sure there are many more...

Incest isn't new in anime. Oreimo is just an enjoyable series that happens to prominently include it.

Then people start hating on it because of that, which results in people defending it, which results in the haters becoming more vocal in their hating, which results in the defenders becoming more impassioned in their defending, and so on ad infinitum until we reach an internet debate singularity and/or Godwin's Law.

(Actually most of the discussion has been pretty civil by the standards of such things.)

We should all blame Moejita for this I think.

Its always the dog in the end.
43dsNGn.gif

trejo

Then people start hating on it because of that, which results in people defending it, which results in the haters becoming more vocal in their hating, which results in the defenders becoming more impassioned in their defending, and so on ad infinitum until we reach an internet debate singularity and/or Godwin's Law.

Oreimo is the worst thing to happen to humanity since the toothbrush moustache.

BluWacky

What I don't understand it's the people' obession with it?

Incest? How is that new in anime?!! What about Angel Sanctuary, Koi Kaze, Lament of the Lamb, Narutaru, and that's on top of my head, I'm sure there are many more...

It's not the presence of the theme, it's the lightweighted and moreover desireable presentation of it that bothers many I think. By comparison, Koi Kaze deals with its repercussions; Angel Sanctuary has the double whammy of
their incestuous feelings arising because of who they are reincarnations of, and then Sara dying fairly horribly early on in the story
, and Hitsuji no Uta and Narutaru are not exactly lighthearted or enjoyable treatments of incest. One of the most popular shoujo manga of the last decade was I'm In Love With My Little Sister, but that was a torrid melodrama where the central relationship (which was far more explicit than anything you'd see in LN guff like OreImo) caused misery to virtually everyone.

I'm not the target audience of shows like OreImo or their fujoshi equivalent; the lazy writing and stock characters are what bother me more than their treatment of controversial themes. But I do think it's the wish fulfillment element that's what makes them more irritating to a Western audience, because it's not a wish many people understand or share - or even want to.

One Piece Film Z

This is for series fans only. Unlike One Piece Movie 6 or the Blue Exorcist movie, it doesn't try to set up meaning and emotional resonance understandable within the confines of the film itself, but clearly is relying on prior attachment to the franchise, its characters, and its themes. Z's backstory is just some narration over a few stills, and so fails to be anywhere near as impactful as Nami's story in Episode of Nami. Consequently Z ends up an unlikable and inscrutable character, taking the wind out of the film's sails.

The animation and art is incredible, and I certainly appreciated the level of craftsmanship on display. Though even here I had some issues, namely that the style of the action scenes (or even non-action scenes at times) was overly dynamic to the point of spastic. The camera spins and darts like an acrobat, and as impressive as the resulting product is, it makes me dizzy. I prefer action that's shot in a more deliberate and methodical fashion.

It's a well-produced spectacle, but not something I care for.

Articalys

First it was announced for Italy, then Canada, and now Kaze Tachinu gets its U.S. premiere date with the New York Film Festival.
The 51st New York Film Festival announced on Monday that it will screen Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises) anime film as a part of its main lineup. The screening will mark the U.S. premiere of the film.

The New York Film Festival usually screens between 25-30 films, but this year's festival will screen 35 films. The Wind Rises is the only animated film that will screen in the main lineup. The festival will be held from September 27 through October 13. Tickets will go on sale to the general public on September 8.

It's Funimation, so expect a trailer and an English voice cast commentary. :p

Funi has been known to throw in random extras like Japanese commericals and promos.

Hell for one of the Hetalia sets, they even threw in a greet the producer and seiyuu event.

I think Full Metal Panic had an interesting sit at a cafe and interview somebody as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Funi has been known to throw in random extras like Japanese commericals and promos.

Hell for one of the Hetalia sets, they even threw in a greet the producer and seiyuu event.
It's fairly random, but the extras for their older shows are much better than the ones they have now.

So, the FMP set has the KyoAni HK scouting trip, for example. But FMA is full of English voice cast commentaries. Blerp.

That said, I don't think I have bought a Funi release in the last year, so I have no idea what their discs are like at the moment.

Theonik

It's fairly random, but the extras for their older shows are much better than the ones they have now.

So, the FMP set has the KyoAni HK scouting trip, for example. But FMA is full of English voice cast commentaries. Blerp.

That said, I don't think I have bought a Funi release in the last year, so I have no idea what their discs are like at the moment.
It's probably more of a matter of older shows being easier to get the material itself for.
(as in there's already been a couple of Japanese releases to accumulate content to localise)
Wolf Children didn't have many extras included in Japan though so getting anything good in the US/K release is unlikely I think.

Well probably depends on the show. For example, Guilty Crown has:

Special Features: Commentary for Episodes 2 & 4, Guilty Crown 4-Panel Theater, Into the Void: The Creative Vision, Episode Previews, Textless Opening Songs, Textless Ending Songs, U.S. Trailer, Trailers.

While Haganai has:

Special Features: Blu-ray & DVD Spots, Original Commercials, Promotional Videos, TV Spots, Textless Opening and Closing Song, U.S. Trailer, Trailers.

Then again, you have movies such like Summer Wars which got:

Special Features: Interview with Ryunosuke Kamiki (Kenji Koiso), Interview with Nanami Sakuraba (Natsuki Shinohara), Interview with Mitsuki Tanimura (Kazuma Ikezawa), Interview with Ayumi Saito (Wabisuke Jinnouchi), Interview with Sumiko Fuji (Sakae Jinnouchi), Interview with Mamoru Hosoda (Director), Teaser Trailers, Teaser TV Spot, Original Trailer, TV Spots.

While the Vesperia movie got:

Special Features: Promotional Footage Collection, Picture Sound, U.S. Trailer, Previews.

Completely and utterly random lol

Silver Spoon - Episode 2

So I thought I'd give this anime another shot and I was highly impressed. The animation is really good for a slice of life, and the comedy seems to be picking up quite a bit.

I still think this anime needs more background music during jokes though -_-
Nothing worse then listening to pure silence when a comedic scene happens.

Amazon UK has updated the Wolf Children BD listing since I last checked, with packaging and a vague extras description.

"Includes Blu-ray feature, DVD feature copy and a bonus DVD disc containing over 100 minutes of special features and a set of 4 hand-illustrated Wolf Children character sketches by Mamoru Hosada."

I guess it depends what the 100 minutes is of. Also, December 23 is a whack release date.

Theonik

Amazon UK has updated the Wolf Children BD listing since I last checked, with packaging and a vague extras description.

"Includes Blu-ray feature, DVD feature copy and a bonus DVD disc containing over 100 minutes of special features and a set of 4 hand-illustrated Wolf Children character sketches by Mamoru Hosada."

I guess it depends what the 100 minutes is of. Also, December 23 is a whack release date.

And unfortunately MangaUK is no better at this :(
I stand corrected!

I'll imagine Funi will put all the special features and will probably have the character sketches be a RightStuf exclusive or whatever.

Novid

Banned
incest makes no sense for me... you will end up with a shit baby, and marriage doesn't really net you anything of worth financially.

I guess you can be a weirdo who marries people because of 'love'.

Don't idols get shit pay too? They aren't american popstars.

go ask the south about first cousins then get back to me.

cajunator

Banned
If nothing else, I respect that OreImo guy went wih the ending that was almost a foregone conclusion.

It was pretty obvious that it was going to go straight into the abyss lol.

*sigh* When I say I think being against incest on principle is silly, I obviously don't mean that people should start treating it as a TOTALLY NORMAL THING that EVERYONE SHOULD BE DOING YOU GAIS. On account of not being an oblivious idiot, I'm perfectly aware that there are biological issues with the offspring of such relationships, and I think inherent biological tendencies (as well as social norms on top of that) are more than enough to ensure that such relationships are always going to be an incredibly rare occurrence.

I just think that in the unlikely event that they do occur, it's silly to treat such relationships as horrible and offensive on a personal level. Unless the couple in question are planning to have children (and I'd like to think most people are sane enough to not go down that route), there's really nothing fundamentally wrong with it if that's what both parties want.

To bring up an awkward analogy (because doesn't everybody just love those), you could even say that hating on incest is essentially the same as homophobia. Both are a case of dismissing the validity of a relationship because it's a) not in line with most people's inherent sexual preferences (most people aren't attracted to the same sex/close relatives), and b) biologically illogical because it's not going to produce viable offspring.

People are going to love who they want to. You cant really prevent that. If people want to have incestuous relations well whatever. I just cant stand THIS character Kirino. If she was cuter/more likeable in the show, then incest ahoy! But I hate her.

What's the point of anime

Its my drug to deal with the stress of life.

Clean versions of the Space Dandy main character designs: http://moca-news.net/article/20130819/201308191336a/01/

Watanabe and the Space Dandy staff will also be producing a full animated music video for Yasuyuki Okamura's "Viva Namida" (which is also the Space Dandy theme song):

8QNLyMJ.jpg

Looks pretty wacky and fun. Definitely looking forward to this!

Novid

Banned
Why are yall mad over Oriemo? I, and everybody in the western animation business who respected this genre WARNED yall about these hacks YEARS ago. Yall didn't hear us.

Now yall mad. Whats Good for the Goose...

cajunator

Banned
I thought that's the point of #animegaf. I mean we have something for all fetishes.

Well...thats definitely true.

cnet and Sephiroth only need 3 more members for their Incest Appreciation Club to be officially recognised. You guys can have the old Literary Club room.

That show was better than it had any right to be. Solar handsssss.

It was ! More people should watch Yakitate Japan. Its criminally underappreciated :(

All the In-bu club members are single children... until our protagonist discovers he has a long-lost sister.

With the help of his club, can he make his dreams come true?

This idea is solid. Make a kickstarter lol.
As long as the sister isnt an insufferable bitch Im all for it.

Sailor Moon Mangoes Act 8-14 END of OG Sailor Moon

So we have an expanded background for the villains, who were much like the Senshis of Earth for Endymion, which I don't think happened in the actual animation itself.

On top of that, it actually went all the way to cover the fact that they were based off of gems/minerals, which would've been appreciated in the animation as well. Later on actually expanded the generals to also have been potential lovers for the Senshi, of course that didn't happen since Beryl and Metallica brainwashed almost everyone in the Earth Tribe, sending it into ruin.

So Motoki and Mamoru didn't actually know each other like in the anime, here Mamoru brainwashed him after being revived by Metallica in order to find their hide out base. Apparently Motoki realized who Mercury and Venus were once he came to. Although I find it odd in earlier chapters where he acknowledged that she has sexy friends.

There were fucking dead people in the streets, and they were like yeah okay. There's also a super sword here that is apparently also toxic, and Serenity stabbed herself with it. So much suicidal tendencies. Interestingly, Venus stabs Beryl to kill her off, but is whisked away by Mamoru. Metallica actually has more presense here, although I think the death scenes for the rest of the Inner Senshis were better done in the anime, considering here, they use their maximum power which sacrifices their pens/lives.

A bit before that, Usagi was really upset in how it felt like fate could not be escaped despite being reborn, and she was forced to kill Mamoru, and then killed herself in the process. This led to crystallation and Metallica swallowing them whole.

Due to the interference with the Inner Senshi, on top of the 4 Earth Generals, they were able to wake up, and confirm their love once more, granting power to the Silver Crystal to take out Metallica. She does die from it, but a kiss revives her. So basically, upon getting a new Brooch, she revives the others without their memories being erased.

So yeah, that really played out differently in comparison to the anime. Some parts of this could've expanded the characters more, but given how different things played out (like NephritexNaru), would it have been possible? Probably since the spoilered aspect didn't really reveal itself until the bitter end.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Why are yall mad over Oriemo? I, and everybody in the western animation business who respected this genre WARNED yall about these hacks YEARS ago. Yall didn't hear us.

Now yall mad. Whats Good for the Goose...

What do you do again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom