• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhs004

Can I skip to it and get whats going on or do have to endure 209 more episode that all probably put me to sleep 209 times

Boring errands and throw away poor sob story's aren't my thing.
Ehh there are new characters in it but it revolves around
gintoki sexing everyone
so it would be okay if you don't.

Vecks

Can I skip to it and get whats going on or do have to endure 209 more boring errands and poor sob storys?

Gintama isn't really one long continuous story. The comical episodes need no explanation and the story-focused arcs are pretty self-contained. The character jokes are also consistent. You won't really be confused if you skip around, but you'd miss out on a lot of fun episodes that aren't boring errands or poor sob stories.

The Legend of Legendary Heroes - Episode 1

The protagonist is really great and I love his description of "he's very talented but too lazy to do anything about it."

I would keep watching this anime but I can't stand his partner. She has got to be the most annoying character I've ever encountered. She won't stop hitting the protagonist, relentlessly! Also she's one of those no personalities characters anyways so she doesn't sound interesting to follow.

I heard this was adapted from a game though, so I guess i shouldn't have expected much really. Too bad... I really liked the main character in this show and the action was decent.

SKET Dance kind of turned me off of the Gintama formula, i probably should have tried Gintama before i tried that.

Sket Dance is a lot weaker than Gintama, especially in its comedic writing and character chemistry. Their concept is vaguely similar, but Gintama's execution is just better (and its mashup setting allows for more creative scenarios), so don't let dislike of Sket Dance turn you off from Gintama.

Vecks

Sket Dance is a lot weaker than Gintama, especially in its comedic writing and character chemistry. Their concept is vaguely similar, but Gintama's execution is just better (and its mashup setting allows for more creative scenarios), so don't let dislike of Sket Dance turn you off from Gintama.

I guess I'm the only one who prefers SKET Dance over Gintama.

Syrinx

Smile Precure 42

I think, more than anything, this episode leaves me with disappointment. Not because the episode was bad: quite the opposite, in fact; it was one of the best episodes in the series imo. Rather, my disappointment stems from the fact that they established Nao's large family all the way back in her introduction in episode 4, and then proceeded to do fuck all with that for 38 whole episodes. And when they finally do dedicate some iota of time to Nao's role as the big sister and her family bonds, they go out and make one of the best episodes in the series. Had they done an episode like this way earlier, they could have done so much more with this setup.

Also this would have been better as the first of the "give each Precure one last episode to shine before shit starts to go down" episodes, as the others set up that the opponent would launch one final attack at them only to have the other Precure stop it at the last second. This would have been pretty predictable anyway, but that split second of just thinking that maybe they would go "there" would have made this episode even better. Or worse, as it could have just resulted in "Of course her friends are there to save the day. Of fucking course!" But I'll never know.

Smile Precure 42

I think, more than anything, this episode leaves me with disappointment. Not because the episode was bad: quite the opposite, in fact; it was one of the best episodes in the series imo. Rather, my disappointment stems from the fact that they established Nao's large family all the way back in her introduction in episode 4, and then proceeded to do fuck all with that for 38 whole episodes. And when they finally do dedicate some iota of time to Nao's role as the big sister and her family bonds, they go out and make one of the best episodes in the series. Had they done an episode like this way earlier, they could have done so much more with this setup.

Also this would have been better as the first of the "give each Precure one last episode to shine before shit starts to go down" episodes, as the others set up that the opponent would launch one final attack at them only to have the other Precure stop it at the last second. This would have been pretty predictable anyway, but that split second of just thinking that maybe they would go "there" would have made this episode even better. Or worse, as it could have just resulted in "Of course her friends are there to save the day. Of fucking course!" But I'll never know.

That's a good point actually. This would've been better as the first one of their final spotlight episode. That and not utilizing its tools well... yep. Total victim there.

Speaking of which, next episode is the crowning jewel of failure of making poor use of tools you have on you. You probably won't like it since it'll be the worst of the bunch, considering it's the number 1 episode that gets ragged on in Smile Precure.

mhs004

Gintama is one of those series I've been meaning to start for years, but am simply intimidated by the length of now.
Gintama is in majority an episodic anime. So you could just watch it every now and then and be okay. However if you watch all the episodes in a row like me its great as well. There are a few arcs but their 5 episodes at the most.

Syrinx

That's a good point actually. This would've been better as the first one of their final spotlight episode. That and not utilizing its tools well... yep. Total victim there.

Speaking of which, next episode is the crowning jewel of failure of making poor use of tools you have on you. You probably won't like it since it'll be the worst of the bunch, considering it's the number 1 episode that gets ragged on in Smile Precure.

I'm done for tonight anyway. I imagine this one is about Reika (no I didn't watch the episode preview)?

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! - 51 - ありがとう!また会う日まで - END

story_img_1.jpg

Fucking graduation ceremonies. ;____;

This is the last time we are going to see Doremi with a randoseru. She goes out of the Harukaze family house with a smile on her face. Ittekimasu~
Are everyone here? As always Doremi is late, late for their field trip, late for their graduation ceremony, truly a Dojimi till the end.
But something is wrong since she wokr up early and didn't eat her breakfast, and she did leave early...the truth is that she doesn't want to be separated from her friends, she wants to have them by her side forever, so she goes to MAHOdou and barricades herself in, because if she doesn't go to the ceremony they will never be separated
, like anime if you don't watch the last episode it never...ends...right? ;_____;
I can't believe myself, how did I forget
that Majo Rika had magic to help out in this kinda of situation, you should all had become witches! TIME STOP! Now it's the time for the ojamajos to go to the rescue! Thinking it was not enough to forget Majo Rika had magic...I forgot Hana-chan had magic too, but Aiko jumps and stop her! What are you doing Ai-chan
... *CM interval* ;_____; ...
everyone...everyone came to the rescue, class 6-1, class 6-2, Seki-sensei, Yuki-sensei, Nishizama-sensei, Pop-chan and her parents who are the ones to try the first attemp to get Doremi out of the MAHOdou
...This is bullshit! This goes against her very essence! You can't do things like this in the end game! .____. Now they are just trolling her. haha.
Good job Nobu-chan
. I want to be alone!
We can't leave you alone Doremi-chan. If for Doremi graduating means she will have to be separated from her friends and don't want to go, to her friends a graduation without Doremi is not one they want to participate, Good job Kayoko-chan...was that a confession???
And Onpu-chan, Ai-chan, Hazuki-chan, Momo-chan fell the same way and Hana-chan give the final push to get Doremi out...but didn't they end the curse of the magic frog? Doremi has no time to think about this! Hana-chan! Hana-chan! Hana-chan! Hana-chan! Hana-chan! Hana-chan! A mother strength is something else.
Caught you.
Baka~
;_____;

Video contain spoilers.
*Everyone, I mean Everyone starts singing Watashi no Tsubasa*

Chotto hazukashii kedo tsubasa hirogete miru
Iro mo katachi mo chigau watashi dake no tsubasa
Habatake
[...]

(T_______________________T)
There was a nice shot here where they are going out of the school in the direction the statue of the founder is pointing.

[...]
Itsu made mo itsu made mo "Arigatou"

(T___________________________________T)

HEAVY SPOILER ・゜・(PД`q。)・゜・

I just...I can't...someone hold me.

And the they start one last Ojamajo Carnival and give us the prologue.

And everything comes full circle for Doremi
. (T^T)

That was pretty nice and as I'm not suited for long posts or long analysis(and my laptop ate the one I made before ¬¬), I will just say Ojamajo Doremi was great and start reading the ligth novels now.

Kokoro ni ha afureteru "Arigatou", Hitokage "Arigatou".

Cwarrior

Gintama 239

*Sigh* gintoki gets a harem the episode, I hate the harem genre even if this didn't take it self seriously it wasn't the least bit pleasant to watch, it was pretty unentertaining like the rest of genre, I shuddered at the mention of strawberry 100% I don't want to be reminded that stuff like that exist.

This wasn't the best episode ever of anything, even I've seen better gintama episodes, episode 25 was at least a 100 folds better then this.

dakkumauji was right, should listen to the man his a true pal.

Aren't you the guy who's crazy about One Piece

Aren't you sherlock holmes.

mhs004

Gintama 239

*Sigh* gintoki gets a harem the episode, I hate the harem genre even if this didn't take it self seriously it wasn't the least bit pleasant to watch, it was pretty unentertaining like the rest of genre, I shuddered at the mention of strawberry 100% I don't want to be reminded that stuff like that exist.

This wasn't the best episode ever of anything, even I've seen better gintama episodes, episode 25 was at least a 100 folds better then this.

dakkumauji was right should listen the man.

You know you like it. Just accept you're love for gintama.

The Legend of Legendary Heroes - Episode 1

The protagonist is really great and I love his description of "he's very talented but too lazy to do anything about it."

I would keep watching this anime but I can't stand his partner. She has got to be the most annoying character I've ever encountered. She won't stop hitting the protagonist, relentlessly! Also she's one of those no personalities characters anyways so she doesn't sound interesting to follow.

I heard this was adapted from a game though, so I guess i shouldn't have expected much really. Too bad... I really liked the main character in this show and the action was decent.

No no This is from a huge HUGE novel series

Novel as plenty of phases and some of them were adapted in a game (on psp ) but the core story comes from novels and the anime follow the novels as well

As for the partner , you'll see more of them as you watch the anime and they aren't typical characters with no personalities... All will be explained in time but you shouldn't dismiss them because of your first impression.

i personnaly consider this story as one of the best coming from Light Novels.

LoLH is really good

Gintama 239

dakkumauji was right, should listen the man his a true pal.

Aren't you sherlock holmes.

Ah ah ah i remember being somewhat annoyed by what was happening when i was watching ... BUT that being said

I suggest you to watch 240 ASAP

This too is one of gintama magic

wonzo

Banned
Senyuu 21

Huh, I was expecting the guy to be
another demon, not the legendary hero.
This series just got interesting again.

Sailor Moon R Act 16

So Motoki saw Mamoru healing himself, and thought he was off. Jesus, they really don't give a shit about their identities. Mercury was also kidnapped towards the end of this chapter. Not much out of the ordinary with this one.

Bonus stuff

I found out about Ami's origins in regards to being a robot well before reading this. I don't think I recall reading that her limbs would be ripped out and she'd have a dramatic death, so it was editors choice to not have them get killed left and right. This pissed the author off. And then she got violently pissed off when Toei was killing off her characters left and right at the end (it made for a better ending in the anime though, which is surprising. The manga is rather gruesome, but the anime managed to be more gruesome here than the manga). She's upset at the lack of Sailor V OVAs, Makoto was almost called Chino Mamoru. Interesting stuff.

trejo

The best thing about Sket Dance are Switch and Bossun's backstory arcs. Show's got a few good laughs here and there but man, those two's backstories are pretty damn great and completely change the way you view a number of the characters and their relationships to each other.

iavi

I have to disagree with a couple of those elements, and I'm as big a Gintama fan as they come. SD isn't as funny, but it's funny, and its character relations may even be a bit better than Gintama's. Gintama's formula of reducing everything back to status quo after every major arc, while working, makes things seem a little less pivotal than were they to stand after all was said and done.

SD follows the same comedy/serious arc formula too, but what's done in the serious arcs stays for the series, and in turn makes not only the relationships outside of the arcs seem tighter, but subsequent events in later arcs seem that much more consequential.

You're very right in saying that SD's scenario's are nowhere near as entertaining as Gintama's, though, just for the sheer fact that they have to be a bit more grounded due to setting. And no individual character in SD is as good as any character in Gintama, though the relationships between them work a little better.

----

On an unrelated note; I've been sucked back into the Monogatari-fold 10x. These latest eps have been especially good.

I need that Kizumonogatari in my life.

I have to disagree with a couple of those elements, and I'm as big a Gintama fan as they come. SD isn't as funny, but it's funny, and its character relations may even be a bit better than Gintama's. Gintama's formula of reducing everything back to status quo after every major arc, while working, makes things seem a little less pivotal than were they to stand after all was said and done.

SD follows the same comedy/serious arc formula too, but what's done in the serious arcs stays for the series, and in turn makes not only the relationships outside of the arcs seem tighter, but subsequent events in later arcs seem that much more consequential.

I can only speak of the anime adaptations; I have not read either manga. In the Sket Dance anime, the boke/tsukkomi routine between Bossun and Himeko can be rather grating - the timing and delivery is off. Overall, the series lacks that spark of energy, that sense that the people making it are having fun with it that Gintama has. It's generally competent, but not much more.

No no This is from a huge HUGE novel series

Novel as plenty of phases and some of them were adapted in a game (on psp ) but the core story comes from novels and the anime follow the novels as well

As for the partner , you'll see more of them as you watch the anime and they aren't typical characters with no personalities... All will be explained in time but you shouldn't dismiss them because of your first impression.

i personnaly consider this story as one of the best coming from Light Novels.

LoLH is really good

I'll try to give it a few more episodes then. I mostly like all the characters I've seen but that partner is really just annoying. I think this is the first time I've ever not liked seeing a character smack someone around comically a lot. It just seems like she does it a little too much.

I mostly want to find out more about the MC since his description is so interesting.

Also I didn't know this was adapted from a novel series, into a video game, and then into the anime. The more I learn.

I guess I'm the only one who prefers SKET Dance over Gintama.

I don't like Sket Dance more as a whole, but I find Switch's back story to be by far more powerful than anything in Gintama.

That being said, I don't find either series amazing and both have their fair share of boring episodes. That's just how episodic shows are for me. Gotta have a continuous plot or I'm going to lose interest.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That was pretty nice and as I'm not suited for long posts or long analysis(and my laptop ate the one I made before ¬¬), I will just say Ojamajo Doremi was great and start reading the ligth novels now.

Kokoro ni ha afureteru "Arigatou", Hitokage "Arigatou".
*wipes tears*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom