• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 34
izG3y6WOXyziG.png

Move over single fang lolis
Huh? It's raining. This episode was pretty amazing. Like holy shit.
Saddest part of the whole predicament is how Aiko basically hates her mother because she now thinks she remarried when that isn't the case.
Also I'd like to take this opportunity to re-affirm that Aiko is indeed the best Ojamajo.

Reminds me I should get Re: Cutie Honey out of the way since it's been on hold for months now.
You should.

Is Gamescom the reason why GAF keeps dying today?

I'm enjoying the Watamote manga so far, even though I'm not actually past anything the anime hasn't adapted yet. They're adapting chapters in a bit of a weird order.

Mr.Jeff

This article was linked before, but it explains rather well the history of the Haruhi anime franchise beyond the first seasona and why there's been nothing since the Disappearance movie. The whole thing is well worth a read, but the short of it is: not necessarily anything to do with negoations per se, but be it a writing slump or whatever circumstances, the fact is Nagaru Tanigawa only published a single new Haruhi novel since 2007, and with no indications of anything more substantial coming from him in the future, there's no reason to make more anime because there's no ongoing novel series to promote. (A side factor is that KyoAni has been steadily moving towards their own productions rather than adaptations in the last few years, and without their support a new Haruhi anime likely wouldn't be nearly as meaningful to the fans who may want to purchase it.)
Huh, that's quite an interesting story if only for it being a fairly understandable reason. There'd been all those mutterings about the delay of the 10th? (11th? Wasn't it a double bill or something) due to Tanigawa demanding a greater cut of the profits but for it to be simply a case of him not producing at the same speed as previous just seems an oddly normal reason.

Thanks for the link!

Looks like I'm still doing my job well.You should also watch Strike Witches.
Yes you are damnit. I'd dismissed Dog Days on the basis that it seemed to be Nanoha+Dog/Catgirls+less fun and explosions and Highschool D X D for being nonsense battle manga with tits and yet there's still this lure.

Also, I've seen the first season of Strike Witches (and the original OVA!). The designs are passable from a certain viewpoint but everything beyond that was just a bit too silly for me.

On a further side note, arrived home today to find my Kickheart DVD, poster and postcard from Kickstarter had turned up so that was quite a nice surprise. One thing I did note on the back (and I have no idea whether this is relevant to it's production) but Mamoru Oshii is listed as Project Consultant? I assume that isn't overly unusual?

It's Sunday: Do you Know Where Your God is? 6

This is such a weird show. Some of these developments are just really shoddy (and sometimes confusing), but the soundtrack, atmosphere, and occasionally the cinematography are enough to make them meaningful. It feels like I'm being manipulated, but I'm not sure if it's working or not. I really have no clue.

Ortus is really messing up how things are portrayed in general, which was already a problem thanks to the concept and rules surrounding the dead people.

This article was linked before, but it explains rather well the history of the Haruhi anime franchise beyond the first seasona and why there's been nothing since the Disappearance movie. The whole thing is well worth a read, but the short of it is: not necessarily anything to do with negoations per se, but be it a writing slump or whatever circumstances, the fact is Nagaru Tanigawa only published a single new Haruhi novel since 2007, and with no indications of anything more substantial coming from him in the future, there's no reason to make more anime because there's no ongoing novel series to promote. (A side factor is that KyoAni has been steadily moving towards their own productions rather than adaptations in the last few years, and without their support a new Haruhi anime likely wouldn't be nearly as meaningful to the fans who may want to purchase it.)

Wait, Tanigawa's only published one new novel since 2007? I know the series has been going on for a decade now, but whoah, that's surprising.

That does make sense, though. They've started mainly doing adaptations of light novels they published themselves. Guess that probably means no more Hyouka, either. Isn't there one novel they haven't adapted yet?

Yes you are damnit. I'd dismissed Dog Days on the basis that it seemed to be Nanoha+Dog/Catgirls+less fun and explosions

It's practically that, but with more fun and a bit less explosions. It's a wonderful combination of fun and fuwafuwa.

and Highschool D X D for being nonsense battle manga with tits and yet there's still this lure.

That's basically it, but it takes itself way less seriously than any battle manga and has absolutely no shame which makes it a pretty damn entertaining watch.

Also, I've seen the first season of Strike Witches (and the original OVA!). The designs are passable from a certain viewpoint but everything beyond that was just a bit too silly for me.

Fair enough, though the second season and movie are definitely better than the first season. Please give it another chance because it's a great show!

Charlotte still number one!

She shares the crown with the lovely Perrine and I don't think I can ever decide.

Syrinx

Smile Precure 37

Don't blame me; I voted for Wolfrun.

Seriously though, them kids is stupid. "No more homework!" *cheers*. Can a Student Council president even do that?

Should I pick up Eccentric Family? I know everyone seems to be praising it like crazy, and I did really love Tatami Galaxy, which was also based on a novel by the same author.

I'm just behind on several series and I'm not sure I really want to pick something else up, but at the same time it seems really good, and I'd rather watch it while it's running instead of marathoning it all at once and being LTTP.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Should I pick up Eccentric Family? I know everyone seems to be praising it like crazy, and I did really love Tatami Galaxy, which was also based on a novel by the same author.

I'm just behind on several series and I'm not sure I really want to pick something else up, but at the same time it seems really good, and I'd rather watch it while it's running instead of marathoning it all at once and being LTTP.
It's better than Tatami Galaxy.

Mr.Jeff

Wait, Tanigawa's only published one new novel since 2007? I know the series has been going on for a decade now, but whoah, that's surprising.

That does make sense, though. They've started mainly doing adaptations of light novels they published themselves. Guess that probably means no more Hyouka, either. Isn't there one novel they haven't adapted yet?
You say that but the very award they set up themselves to judge new content has awarded no grand prizes for anything they've received in the last 4 years and at best has only given a few honourable mentions.

I can sort of understand why Tanigawa has been stuck really since even if you're not a particular big fan of the subject matter, the way the series was going, it looked to not really be sure how it would resolve some of the plot points it worked itself into. Granted he may not be worrying about the plot at all and more be crushed by the pressure of his previous success and making sure the next book sells well instead. Or it could be none of the above.

Edit: Also, yes Eccentric Family is great. Whether you watch it now or wait till the end is up to you but I'd still recommend it either way (assuming it doesn't end in a mess).

Articalys

Well, to be absolutely precise, after Dissociation was released in early 2007, there were a number of delays before Surprise was released in mid-2011 as a double-volume set. So in terms of amount of material written, I guess you could technically say he wrote two novels since Dissociation. The only other new thing since Surprise was a short story in a Haruhi artbook released this year.

Smile Precure 37

Don't blame me; I voted for Wolfrun.

Seriously though, them kids is stupid. "No more homework!" *cheers*. Can a Student Council president even do that?

I don't really think so. Although I like how Wolfrun just ran all over Reika on how boring she is (even though Reika does give a shit about school).

That's crazy. Is it because all the submissions were mediocre at best, or what?

I remember hearing about last year not having any winners, but I didn't know they hadn't given the grand prize to anyone ever.

Aspiring LN authors need to step up their game. Granted, I don't expect them to, given the fact that LN authors aren't exactly known for being great prose stylists, but still.

cnet128

Banned

Oh wow, that is gorgeous.

Well, to be absolutely precise, after Dissociation was released in early 2007, there were a number of delays before Surprise was released in mid-2011 as a double-volume set. So in terms of amount of material written, I guess you could technically say he wrote two novels since Dissociation.

Pschhh, Surprise may have been double-length in terms of word count, but it was definitely only a single novel in terms of content. I'm not giving Tanigawa much extra credit for that. He needs to get off his ass and actually get the series moving again. =/

I've made this comparison before, but Kawahara has written the entire run of Accel World - that's 14 novels and counting - in the time it took Tanigawa to release that one "double" novel. And that was while putting in an almost equal amount of work on Sword Art Online at the same time.

Yes! Precure 5 - 22

Shit, I think Milk might actually be the cutest mascot since Porun. In fact, there's no "might" about it, she totally is. Her earnest efforts to help out around the shop despite the fact that she's way too little to be of any use whatsoever were positively adorable (seriously, what did she expect to achieve with that tiny broom? XD), and there's something crazy gorgeous about those big, fluffy, droopy ears she has. It helps that they seem to be prehensile - awww, look at her using them to pull herself up the stairs! (Come to think of it, some of Porun's cutest moments were when he was hiding behind his giant ears. IS THIS A NEW FORM OF MOE?!)

But yeah, if Milk put herself up for sale at the store again, I would buy her in a heartbeat. 1000 yen? Talk about a bargain!
Of course I would keep her in a cage at night so that she couldn't run away. Muhahahahaha.

Metrotab

Banned
Watamote - 6

This one hit a bit close to me. I started socializing way too late in high school, and by then I had missed all the parties and events that truly bond a group.

Never got invited anywhere either. Makes me feel a bit sad when I think about it.

Syrinx

I don't really think so. Although I like how Wolfrun just ran all over Reika on how boring she is (even though Reika does give a shit about school).

I love how they were allowed to just keep interrupting her speech. I might have run for Student Council president if I knew I could heckle my opponents while they were giving their speeches.

Mature

Watch it when you can, just don't forget to do so.

Mr.Jeff

That's crazy. Is it because all the submissions were mediocre at best, or what?

I remember hearing about last year not having any winners, but I didn't know they hadn't given the grand prize to anyone ever.

Aspiring LN authors need to step up their game. Granted, I don't expect them to, given the fact that LN authors aren't exactly known for being great prose stylists, but still.
Presumably, the submissions just didn't meet the standards they had set themselves. If you consider the number of Light Novel adaptations in recent years (most recently those 5 series which have been announced to be made into anime) a common theme which occurs to me is an otherwise interesting enough premise but ruined by the need to feature the more common ideas of wish fulfillment that exist in bad anime or doujins - namely cloistered men who are a bit like anime/game nerds but still somehow having good looks ending up swarming through rivers of teenager girls throwing themselves at him because of [PLOT]. Like this.

While KyoAni can do a lot of things, they can't work miracles on bad material (although they try their hardest on Key).

A few noteworthy series do make it through but really, it highlights the problem that good writers are hard to find.

All of this is purely my own thoughts on it.

Watamote - 6

This one hit a bit close to me. I started socializing way too late in high school, and by then I had missed all the parties and events that truly bond a group.

Never got invited anywhere either. Makes me feel a bit sad when I think about it.

I get that same feeling everytime I watch Watamote. Everytime I watch it, it gets me thinking back to my highschool years.

cnet128

Banned
Smile Precure 38

I believe this is what they call...cajun.

Lil' Wolfrun and lil' Yayoi were best.

The knowledge of this episode's existence is like...half the reason I got into Precure in the first place XD

When I finally reach it, that will be a glorious moment indeed.

Attack on Titan Episode 19 – Bite - 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls (3)
BSJmE6wCYAAGfDq.png

Potentially the best episode yet so far. I kind of wish I had been able to see it when it aired instead of several days later. Just the whole heart to heart discussion of Eren and Levi in that backstory scene and then the themes of faith, belief in oneself and others, having willpower and good determination to tackle a goal and even
Victory and success finally
made it all good. This half is still going stronger and much better than first half and continues to make me anticipate more of it more and more. I hope it stays like this the whole way through.
its at its best when things are happy, light hearted, and filled with victory and joy.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 35
iFxqZ0QkABSN8.png

At least Doremi has her priorities straight.
This episode was also amazing albeit in another way compared to the previous one.
Still can't quite understand what the magical elections are but whatever.
New Ojamajo was spoilt in the preview and artbooks but that wasn't a big deal. I figured the majo ruka involvement too from the preview though when she cast that spell on the judges that was downright slimy really took me aback.
Hope she gets redeemed later on in some way or other.

Ojamajo Doremi 40

HOOOLY SHIT

I'm not sure if the drama in this episode was neat or utterly comical

I mean Shota's dad was a Shogi player who almost went pro but turned 30, so he had to stop. He threw out his Shogi board and drunk himself into a stupor everyday, leading to him and the mother fighting.

Only when Shota wins the tournament, he goes "AW RIGHT! I'll stop drinking now and start drilling you hard
with shogi lessons

Also a cursed item was here. 3 more from the looks of things.

Yes! Precure 5 - 22

Shit, I think Milk might actually be the cutest mascot since Porun. In fact, there's no "might" about it, she totally is. Her earnest efforts to help out around the shop despite the fact that she's way too little to be of any use whatsoever were positively adorable (seriously, what did she expect to achieve with that tiny broom? XD), and there's something crazy gorgeous about those big, fluffy, droopy ears she has. It helps that they seem to be prehensile - awww, look at her using them to pull herself up the stairs! (Come to think of it, some of Porun's cutest moments were when he was hiding behind his giant ears. IS THIS A NEW FORM OF MOE?!)

But yeah, if Milk put herself up for sale at the store again, I would buy her in a heartbeat. 1000 yen? Talk about a bargain!
Of course I would keep her in a cage at night so that she couldn't run away. Muhahahahaha.

milk is the best mascot for the simple reason that she talk backs and whip up others into shape.

oh and she is cute..
much cuter that mepple

Metrotab

Banned
AIR - 2

Look at them gams! But seriously, Blondie's precious.

This show is really comfy to watch. Soft color tones, soft moods with some light humour, great music. Also, all the older women are hot!

That scene at the end was creepy though. Thought it was a ghost girl or something.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Wait... is this also a gigantic mashup of a thread of every anime airing this season?

Presumably, the submissions just didn't meet the standards they had set themselves. If you consider the number of Light Novel adaptations in recent years (most recently those 5 series which have been announced to be made into anime) a common theme which occurs to me is an otherwise interesting enough premise but ruined by the need to feature the more common ideas of wish fulfillment that exist in bad anime or doujins - namely cloistered men who are a bit like anime/game nerds but still somehow having good looks ending up swarming through rivers of teenager girls throwing themselves at him because of [PLOT]. Like this.

While KyoAni can do a lot of things, they can't work miracles on bad material (although they try their hardest on Key).

A few noteworthy series do make it through but really, it highlights the problem that good writers are hard to find.

All of this is purely my own thoughts on it.

Yeah, I remember Outbreak Company being discussed in here briefly a few weeks back (pretty sure it was when someone posted the Fall 2013 chart). To me, it almost sounds like an unintentional self-parody of the sorts of LNs that have been popular recently.

Another problem is one I've heard about a few times in various places, and I'm inclined to agree with it: the marked drop in quality a lot of LN series seem to have after their first or second volume. Although that's almost certainly a result of inadequate planning on the author's part.

MoonPhase - 1

HNNNNG this main character is too adorable. And I can't remember the last time I saw a supernatural show where people fire colorful doom lasers from little pieces of paper. So that's one good way to start your anime.

Another problem is one I've heard about a few times in various places, and I'm inclined to agree with it: the marked drop in quality a lot of LN series seem to have after their first or second volume. Although that's almost certainly a result of inadequate planning on the author's part.

That's a general problem of narratives, especially serial narratives. It's easy to come up with an interesting premise, but much harder to come up with something interesting to do with that premise. If you keep extending a story indefinitely, that becomes harder still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom