• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Turn A Gundam 24

I'm now ready to call this one of the best Gundam shows ever made. Like, DAMN. The way the story is unfolding is so well done. This episode had damn
space
hippies on the
Earth
lawn, and there was an all out brawl between their FLATs and the Terran Borjarnons, and then the Gundam showed up, kicked all their asses, and Loran got to talk smack to hippies.

The most important point, though, is Dianna confessing to Loran that these Hippies, the Red Team, are the descendants of people she left on Earth, and so their hatred has been festering for several generations. As she takes the blame on herself, Loran at last has had enough, steps up to the plate and says "No way, 'cuz I loved the Earth and also
I loveadmire you." And then they kissdance in the setting sun.

The point is the show has everything. Romance, action, intrigue, suspense, violence, politics, subterfuge, comedy, etc. Show's got it all.

Bossun's backstory in Sket Dance is absolutely incredible character work, and it really turns the series on its head, and even shakes up some of the biggest character dynamics, all while seeming like something which was built up to for the entire series up to that point.

That was what transformed Sket Dance from being a pretty good series to be something which I considered incredible.

iavi

Bossun's backstory in Sket Dance is absolutely incredible character work, and it really turns the series on its head, and even shakes up some of the biggest character dynamics, all while seeming like something which was built up to for the entire series up to that point.

That was what transformed Sket Dance from being a pretty good series to be something which I considered incredible.

I wouldn't go that far, but that's exactly the kind of work I mean. Sketch's arc too.

Sounds like all the Hanekawa arcs.

Nah, she definitely got buffed in that last arc of Monogatari. And Senjou got nerfed, so. balance is balance.

CorvoSol

Dai-Guard 16

So basically everyone is fired, except not. Like the PR Division 2 got dissolved so they're all being transferred elseplaces, Shirota included, as Pres. Big Lips and his new team of pilots come along to try and replace Akagi, Ibuki and Aoyama. Of course, this is hilariously stupid on all accounts because the military JUST tried this whole song and dance with Kokubogar, but that's life. Anyway, the principle conflict this episode is more about Ooyama deciding if she'll stay with the new and ruined company, or not. After some good ship teasing with Akagi during a crisis, she decides to tough it out. Meanwhile, Ibuki and Aoyama provide useful tips that keep the newb pilots from getting themselves killed while regular civilians complain that the now famous (for being reckless) Akagi is not piloting the Dai-Guard himself.

Shirota ain't goin' down without a fight, though.

Jarmel

Banned
Turn A Gundam 24

I'm now ready to call this one of the best Gundam shows ever made. Like, DAMN. The way the story is unfolding is so well done.

I really would love to read a good review on this series that is a detailed breakdown. Most of the ones I've come across are pretty much garbage. I'm really trying to understand what people like about the show.

CorvoSol

Now that's just silly.

Return of the Jedi is the best Star Wars movie.

I really would love to read a good review on this series that is a detailed breakdown. Most of the ones I've come across are pretty much garbage. I'm really trying to understand what people like about the show.

Well, I'm only about halfway through it, so I can't speak with perfect authority on why I like it, but if I had to put in plain and clear terms what I like about the show, I would go with the characters and the atmosphere.

The first, I should note, does not apply to each and every character. I mean, Bruno, Jacop, and Corin are all kinda whatever, but Dianna Soreil is one of the most endearing characters I have ever seen in the franchise. It's pretty rare in Gundam for the leader of the enemy army to step down from their throne, walk among the people, and see first hand what they've caused. Dianna is a genuinely good person, but not driven to the saccharine levels of say, Lacus Clyne. Likewise, Loran Cehak is unusual for a Gundam protagonist. Loran has things in common with the regulars, such as his hatred of war, but where Amuro, Kamille, Judau, Banagher, Seabook and so on can be a little loud and angry about their dislike of things, Loran is an incredibly humble character. I find it refreshing after mainlining UC heroes one after another.

The second is just that the show feels very Civil War era for a series that is usually hard science fiction in setting. The music complements this, I think, and things like the outfits that the Terrans wear, as well as the goofier, or more whimsical designs of the series-specific mecha. The show has a flavor that is uniquely its own, whilst still managing to be a Gundam show, and that's something I like.

I dunno, I'm only half way so I can't articulate this that well yet.

Glass Fleet 17

Blah blah blah, backstory. Cleo's dad looked like Betty and was gay for Sean Connery (aren't we all?), and now we find out that the secret of the fall of the Royal Family is that they tragically blah blah blah blah. Who cares it's Glass Fleet and everyone is a horrible person who will bow to suck Cleo's dick. This is why he had a hard time answering "have you ever been in love with someone?" Because Cleo wasn't sure if "Me" or "Myself" was the better answer.

cajunator

Banned
Watamote 07

Yay some time off! So much to do! So many things to create...after I watch this video and play this game a little. Oh I planned to watch this anime too. So much free time!
*a little while later
OH FUCK WHERE DID ALL MY FREE TIME GO AND WHY HAVENT I DONE ANYTHING USEFUL?

Yeah Tomoko, Ive been there. Ive been there.

Still the cutest character of the season.

CorvoSol

I saw maybe 4-5 episodes about ten years ago. I was going to start watching that again... Should I not?

I don't like Rah Xephon, you'll need a second opinion.

Episode 15 of RahXephon is a masterpiece though, so you're wrong.

"Masterpiece."

Victory Gundam 11

-Shrike Team is what would happen if the Gundam Maxter team all piloted Gundams.
-Now I know why people do kill counts for this show.
-Shakti is too dumb to live. Please God, let her take Karlman with her.
-Are the Shrike Team's mechs EZ-Guns or Jamesguns? I was somewhat confused by this.

cajunator

Banned
I don't like Rah Xephon, you'll need a second opinion.

"Masterpiece."

Victory Gundam 11

-Shrike Team is what would happen if the Gundam Maxter team all piloted Gundams.
-Now I know why people do kill counts for this show.
-Shakti is too dumb to live. Please God, let her take Karlman with her.
-Are the Shrike Team's mechs EZ-Guns or Jamesguns? I was somewhat confused by this.

Watch Arjuna.

cnet128

Banned
I guess I'm the only one who prefers SKET Dance over Gintama.

Not at all, I'm in that boat too.

Tried to get into Gintama (the manga, can't speak for the anime) once, pushed on through a decent number of volumes, but I just couldn't get into it. Sket Dance, on the other hand, I've adored since its very first chapter appeared in Weekly Shonen Jump, and I loved the anime while it was airing as well.

Nekomonogatari - 1

A whole arc around Hanekawa before she became interesting. Kinda blugh so far.

Hanekawa isn't one of my favourite characters, but she's always been interesting, cat or no cat. Kizu proves this quite conclusively.

Aizo

Banned
Talk about bad time to ask this.. anyway, so I'm planning to rewatch Evangelion, does the Death (True) thing worth to watch?

Definitely not.

What do you mean by Death thing?

22559l.jpg

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I think the pacing in that show, more than any other gripe I had with it, is the reason I've not yet bothered to pick it up again and try and finish it.

It is kinda slow in the middle, that I'll readily admit. A lot of shows I feel kinda hit that mid show slump, some more that others.

BluWacky

Episode 15 of RahXephon is a masterpiece though, so you're wrong.

Don't argue with Corvo over RahXephon, it's not worth it :)

15 and 19 are the ones that stick in everyone's mind (and rightfully so) but I should really rewatch the show some time soon as I only have the vaguest of memories of each episode otherwise.

Unfortunately my copy of the ADV box set is the TV series only (they re-issued it later with the movie included) so I've still never seen Pluralitas Concentio, although from what I remember it's more of a curious companion piece than a must-see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom