• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure: 21

f2KZ5Iw.jpg

Well, I can say so far that this story arc has definitely strengthened my opinion on the show. Its been a fun ride, but they've got to reveal the fourth Precure soon.

Oh, and the dub is awful. Okaba sounds fine, I guess, but the girls just sound very typical high-school teenagares which is quite abrasive.

The dub is a travesty.

It's weird, because they were doing great dubs a few years back, and I'm not much of a dub fan at all. Do they have crazy high turnover rates or something?

Syrinx

Smile Precure 43

The path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path.

That actually could have been a pretty good, emotional episode for Reika, choosing whether to stay with her friends or go study abroad. But...they have that magic bookcase that can take them anywhere in the world. Even if she went to England, she could visit her friends whenever she wanted. I mean, time zone differences I guess, but come on. Hell, they may have actually even gone to England in that one episode! What gives?

Joker was actually great in this episode. Him psychologically manipulating Reika and pretty much breaking her without even fighting her...man, I'm left with the same feeling as last episode: why couldn't they have had him do this stuff earlier in the series?

Smile Precure 43

The path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path the path.

That actually could have been a pretty good, emotional episode for Reika, choosing whether to stay with her friends or go study abroad. But...they have that magic bookcase that can take them anywhere in the world. Even if she went to England, she could visit her friends whenever she wanted. I mean, time zone differences I guess, but come on. Hell, they may have actually even gone to England in that one episode! What gives?

Joker was actually great in this episode. Him psychologically manipulating Reika and pretty much breaking her without even fighting her...man, I'm left with the same feeling as last episode: why couldn't they have had him do this stuff earlier in the series?

sorry i'll illustrate your post :

Smile.Precure%21.43-04.jpg

But joker was doing pretty much the same thing in ep 22 .. that's one of his good points and what make him an awesome character.

As for the "DRAMA" that something the writters forgot , notice how the teleporting book plot device wasn't used that much.

Kenichi The Mightest Disciple 1-5

Enjoying the show so far. I really like Mui as a character but wish she shows some flaws because as of right now she is perfect. Hope the action picks up but I'll probably have to wait a couple more episodes for.

I've re-watched this show several times and I still love it. I really hope it gets a new season because the OVA's they showed recently were amazing.

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure: 22

Well, its kind of obvious where this is going,
especially with the next episode's title. Peach is going to fight Eas/Setsuna, and defeat her. Setsuna will become the fourth Precure. They wouldn't have had Miyuki unable to "get saved" by Akarun otherwise.

Smile Precure 43

People thought "the baby" is bad have never watched Smile Precure. We have 2 Pokemon in this one! Spread through a much longer show!

But I see you grasp the main problem with this episode, which is pretty much the king jewel of what is wrong with Smile Precure (that and lack of actual character development).

Syrinx

People thought "the baby" is bad have never watched Smile Precure. We have 2 Pokemon in this one! Spread through a much longer show!

But I see you grasp the main problem with this episode, which is pretty much the king jewel of what is wrong with Smile Precure (that and lack of actual character development).

It really is astounding just how badly this show handles that bookcase. They introduce it in the first few episodes, and I thought that the thing would work so that anywhere there was trouble, they could get to quickly, as a way of avoiding the whole "villain conveniently attacks area where they are all the time" thing. But they ended up doing that anyway, so they let it rot for 25-30 episodes, then use it for that one episode. And then they other forgot about its existence, or tried to pretend it didn't exist for this one, because its presence single-handedly ruins the emotional impact of this episode. So in the end, what could have been a cool element of this show ends up only being used to travel the world in one episode (that I admittedly enjoyed), only to destroy another. Just plain botched.

faridmon

Remember when cajunator told you that when it gets going, it really gets going?

That.

Though if you are nit-picky about shows having consistency in their rules of time travel, then you're probably going to have some problems down the line.

Yeah, I think I am going to finish. Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy it from Episode 1, but yeah, it seems I am at the point where it becomes to be ''good'' Also, As you have pointed out, I should just stop nitpicking the whole Time-travel nonsense and go with the flow.

The dub is a travesty.

It's weird, because they were doing great dubs a few years back, and I'm not much of a dub fan at all. Do they have crazy high turnover rates or something?

Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks its bloody rubbish. as you have said they used to do really good dubs, first when Funimation re-instated itself as the ''saviour'' of Anime back then. Baccano arguably had one of the best Dubs but yeah, long time since I have listened to a dub made by Funimation-joint, and its bloody ear abusive.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 12: So we finally see the end of the race and indeed the end of this arc and I'll be honest this just felt weak. There are a couple of reasons for this, the last leg of the hunt really lacked tension and emotional content. Moreover, they kept key information from the audience for way too long, and indeed I feel I have only get a fragments worth of why the
rose heir chamber
was so important. It is just bad storytelling and that is rather unfoortunate since I was digging this arc for the most part. Well, that aside everything is resolved and it is back to Sea of Morning-star, though it seems we care keeping the princesses around becuase of reasons.

Syrinx

Yeah, I think I am going to finish. Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy it from Episode 1, but yeah, it seems I am at the point where it becomes to be ''good'' Also, As you have pointed out, I should just stop nitpicking the whole Time-travel nonsense and go with the flow.

Thing with time travel stories is that since the laws of time travel are not known or are implausible to begin with, it's easier to take liberties with how the laws in the story work and to overlook inconsistencies. Same thing with "parallel dimensions" and such. I thought this show did a fairly decent job of it overall, but I'm not overly exposed to works that feature time travel and the like.

heehee. Not really variety but certainly lots of fun and cute characters. Shes almost goddess tier.
Was mainly referring to personalities.

It really is astounding just how badly this show handles that bookcase. They introduce it in the first few episodes, and I thought that the thing would work so that anywhere there was trouble, they could get to quickly, as a way of avoiding the whole "villain conveniently attacks area where they are all the time" thing. But they ended up doing that anyway, so they let it rot for 25-30 episodes, then use it for that one episode. And then they other forgot about its existence, or tried to pretend it didn't exist for this one, because its presence single-handedly ruins the emotional impact of this episode. So in the end, what could have been a cool element of this show ends up only being used to travel the world in one episode (that I admittedly enjoyed), only to destroy another. Just plain botched.

I'll get this out of the way, although it should be plain obvious at this point of the show. It's never going to get used again. But there's a lot of annoying little quirks to also be made. I would comment on the whole Nao/Akane rivalry thing that existed for the sake of having something to show. And then it's never relevant again. This is something that could given a bit more dynamic, but it doesn't really mean much.

Other part being (and I'm alone on this) but Yayoi was quite the squee-blob in the second half of the show, and I wish they were still more consistent with her in order to deal with the last bit of character drama she had left. Nowhere near as bad as Reika's episode though.

Back to the bookcase thing though, I ultimately decided that it's because everyone in this show is stupid. Which I accepted since the start of the show. Doesn't help they're also the weakest group of Precures in the franchise.

Tenumi

Banned
Fresh Pretty Cure: 23

And, as explained,
Setsuna is the Fourth Precure
. This was a great episode, taking the major step forward in the story arc, and gave a great fight scene between Eas and Peach.

Theonik

Illusioni whatever 2-3
Well that was a thing I guess. Show isn't awful but it's also not very engaging either.
I'll probably wrap this up anyway.

Cardcaptor Sakura 07
Another episode another cute outfit. You know glasses guy is really creepy. The girl is like 10 son.
The fake Sakura sneezes and ventriloquism were dangerous, I almost died at the former.
Using the shadow card like that was great. That end reveal was great too, the boku fooled me.

cajunator

Banned
Watched the first ep of Watamote last night. Pretty amusing...I'll probably continue once I've finished my rewatch of Madoka.

Yes, Watamote is well worth your while. Tomoko is the cutest character of the season.

Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks its bloody rubbish. as you have said they used to do really good dubs, first when Funimation re-instated itself as the ''saviour'' of Anime back then. Baccano arguably had one of the best Dubs but yeah, long time since I have listened to a dub made by Funimation-joint, and its bloody ear abusive.

Definitely give Steins Gate the benefit of the doubt. It is a very very entertaining series and in general, there are lots of plot holes inherent in time paradoxes and butterfly effect.
Give it some leeway and it will surely reward you!

Illusioni whatever 2-3
Well that was a thing I guess. Show isn't awful but it's also not very engaging either.
I'll probably wrap this up anyway.

Cardcaptor Sakura 07
Another episode another cute outfit. You know glasses guy is really creepy. The girl is like 10 son.
The fake Sakura sneezes and ventriloquism were dangerous, I almost died at the former.
Using the shadow card like that was great. That end reveal was great too, the boku fooled me.

I think Sakura's outfit in episode 08 is so adorable it might kill your ass.

CorvoSol

It is kinda slow in the middle, that I'll readily admit. A lot of shows I feel kinda hit that mid show slump, some more that others.

Oh definitely. Zeta Gundam hit that slump so hard I almost quit watching UC Gundam altogether.

Im too genki sometimes. If I have ever overwhelmed or bothered any of you because of it, then I sincerely apologize. I love you all.

Never even ever. You rock, Cajun.

cajunator

Banned
A reminder that the original artist/character designer for the Oreshura novels is also the artist for the Unbreakable Machine-Doll novels, though the anime character designers for each are different.

Indeed they are. But my god Yaya looks like the most adorable girl.

Oh definitely. Zeta Gundam hit that slump so hard I almost quit watching UC Gundam altogether.

Never even ever. You rock, Cajun.

I really appreciate you all.

Ojamajo Doremi 43

Wooooooow Onpu. I mean Hazuki and Doremi said something similar on the lines too, but you went straight for the jugular.

Two characters dealing with daddy issues, one of them being Tamaki Reika (gasp), in where a good side actually does exist for her.
While it wasn't outright stated, it's pretty damn clear that Shiori healed because of Onpu, since she visited her for like a minute. Her ass is going to be more than grass at this rate.
Things involving Tamaki's past on why she's spoiled now
I mean damn, hot coffee incident when she was a child. She nearly jumped off the villa too and got slapped in the face for it.
. KIDS SHOW

I need a shot glass because I think I found my new drinking game

cnet128

Banned
Thats hugely disappointing.

Wasted character designs then.

It's true that the Yukarin silver-haired girl is the worst girl in the show. Though she does have her appeal in a magnificent-bastard sort of way.

The other girls totally make up for it though.

And including Yukarin in the show was worthwhile so that she could sing in the OP and ED. Actually, if you want proof that the show is worth watching, watching the OP might help. It's sugary-sweet and delicious.

cajunator

Banned
It's true that the Yukarin silver-haired girl is the worst girl in the show. Though she does have her appeal in a magnificent-bastard sort of way.

The other girls totally make up for it though.

And including Yukarin in the show was worthwhile so that she could sing in the OP and ED. Actually, if you want proof that the show is worth watching, watching the OP might help. It's sugary-sweet and delicious.

I was kinda hoping she was like Ice witch in Ben-To. you know, perfect.

Finalow

Devil Lady 2

imhSxYw.gif

I'm taking a break from Dirty Pair and Bubblegum to ... watch this? Sure. Power of -noclip.
oh, I'm not the only one watching it right now. *shocked

I only found this gif though.
tumblr_m76h7oA3F01qel76uo1_500.gif

Never got good, soo much fucking promise. ova remake nao.
yeah, I watched Maou Dante before this and it wasn't really good either.
the fact that they're super low quality with some awful english dubs and subs that don't even match doesn't help.

Thing with time travel stories is that since the laws of time travel are not known or are implausible to begin with, it's easier to take liberties with how the laws in the story work and to overlook inconsistencies. Same thing with "parallel dimensions" and such. I thought this show did a fairly decent job of it overall, but I'm not overly exposed to works that feature time travel and the like.

With any time travel story I just do my best to not think about the finer details too much. I've had a lot of practice with that after all the Star Trek I've watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom