• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a lot of free time on my hands recently and I wanted to get a few recommendations for some Anime. I haven't watched much Anime throughout my Lifetime, but the few series I have watched that sparked my interest ended up becoming shows I will remember and watch again for a lifetime. There is just so much stuff out there that I don't even know where to start to look for good Anime.

My favorites and the only series I have seen are: (I may have a lot of spelling errors.)

Gurren Laggan
Baccanoo
Cannan
Black Lagoon
Samurai Shampoo

and recently Attack on Titan. I got the 14 trial from Crunchyroll and I might sub for a few months if I'm able to find some good stuff. I like stuff that isn't too long and has a great story with good action and animation. If a show is somewhat longer than the usual 20-40 episodes or so, I might be down if it's truly worth the investment.

Durarara (based on another light novel series by the author of Baccano; has a similarly large and interesting cast, and takes place in contemporary Japan instead of Prohibition-era America; only thing is that it doesn't do the Tarantino-esque nonlinear plot), Steins;Gate, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ben-To (not really all that amazing of a story, but the premise is hilarious -- as is the show -- and it has some extremely good action scenes), Psycho-Pass.

Taruranto

Y9vcEOI.gif

jbug617

Banned
Free! 7

Here we go. The tournament begins and we get more background on Rin. The ending though was expected because
there was no way Haru would win this early. You have to save it for the finals.

cnet128

Banned
I got a lot of free time on my hands recently and I wanted to get a few recommendations for some Anime. I haven't watched much Anime throughout my Lifetime, but the few series I have watched that sparked my interest ended up becoming shows I will remember and watch again for a lifetime. There is just so much stuff out there that I don't even know where to start to look for good Anime.

My favorites and the only series I have seen are: (I may have a lot of spelling errors.)

Gurren Laggan
Baccanoo
Cannan
Black Lagoon
Samurai Shampoo

and recently Attack on Titan. I got the 14 trial from Crunchyroll and I might sub for a few months if I'm able to find some good stuff. I like stuff that isn't too long and has a great story with good action and animation. If a show is somewhat longer than the usual 20-40 episodes or so, I might be down if it's truly worth the investment.

lol shampoo

If it's action you're looking for, your first stop should be Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (the 2012 series, not any of the old OVAs). Admittedly it won't impress in the animation department, but it has so much style and badassery you will not care. The only other downside is that it has no official English release, so if you're solely looking for things you can find on Crunchyroll and the like, that may be an issue.

Another series I'd heartily recommend anyone try out is Katanagatari. I don't know if that's on Crunchyroll either, but I do know it at least has been officially released in English. It's another incredibly stylish show, based around battles between various...unconventional swordsmen. It's just 12 episodes long, but each of those episodes is twice as long as your usual 20-odd minute anime episode, so it's a pretty engrossing experience.

A third series I'd recommend is Accel World, which I have a feeling is...also not on Crunchyroll. (Why are all the series I want to recommend not on Crunchyroll?) It's set in a future society and centres around a rather unique virtual-reality fighting game (which results in plenty of great action).

And finally, for something a little different, why not give Gargantia a go? I do believe this one is on Crunchyroll (finally, I found one!), and though it's not always very action-y, I think it will satisfy you in terms of story and animation. It's an atmospheric tale of a soldier from the future who finds himself stranded on a planet with a less-advanced, peaceful Civilization, and has to reconsider his way of life. Just thirteen episodes, so it can't hurt to give it a look!

cajunator

Banned
lol shampoo

If it's action you're looking for, your first stop should be Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (the 2012 series, not any of the old OVAs). Admittedly it won't impress in the animation department, but it has so much style and badassery you will not care. The only other downside is that it has no official English release, so if you're solely looking for things you can find on Crunchyroll and the like, that may be an issue.

Another series I'd heartily recommend anyone try out is Katanagatari. I don't know if that's on Crunchyroll either, but I do know it at least has been officially released in English. It's another incredibly stylish show, based around battles between various...unconventional swordsmen. It's just 12 episodes long, but each of those episodes is twice as long as your usual 20-odd minute anime episode, so it's a pretty engrossing experience.

A third series I'd recommend is Accel World, which I have a feeling is...also not on Crunchyroll. (Why are all the series I want to recommend not on Crunchyroll?) It's set in a future society and centres around a rather unique virtual-reality fighting game (which results in plenty of great action).

And finally, for something a little different, why not give Gargantia a go? I do believe this one is on Crunchyroll (finally, I found one!), and though it's not always very action-y, I think it will satisfy you in terms of story and animation. It's an atmospheric tale of a soldier from the future who finds himself stranded on a planet with a less-advanced, peaceful Civilization, and has to reconsider his way of life. Just thirteen episodes, so it can't hurt to give it a look!

I second all these.

You referring to goddess Mori-chan?

i'm talking about this :

-------------
Gatchaman Crowds - 05

Ho ho ho ..that episode was superb.

The way it ended , the bad guy trying to push the poor rui toward the dark path... the delicious dialog between rui and that greedy human and finally the entire scene in the car from all the cast .

It was superb.

Gurren Laggan
Baccanoo
Cannan
Black Lagoon
Samurai Shampoo

Hunter x Hunter
BLast of Tempest
Star Driver
No. 6
The Unlimited - Hyobu Kyousuke
Valvrave

cnet128

Banned
Free! 7

Yay, this rivalry is starting to get nice and heated now. I look forward to seeing
how Haru reacts to being defeated for reals. Rin's gloating at the end there was pretty damn assy.

cajunator

Banned
i'm talking about this :

-------------
Gatchaman Crowds - 05

Ho ho ho ..that episode was superb.

The way it ended , the bad guy trying to push the poor rui toward the dark path... the delicious dialog between rui and that greedy human and finally the entire scene in the car from all the cast .

It was superb.

The girl from Index? Mori is much better.

Gurren Laggan
Baccanoo
Cannan
Black Lagoon
Samurai Shampoo

Trigun
Psycho;Pass
Gungrave

It seems you like a whole lot of shows that involve some gunplay in it, also a lot of good action. I can't recommend these 3 enough then. I haven't seen Gungrave but I heard it's pretty great for the action, and Psycho;Pass I'm currently watching an am enjoying.

I'd like to also recommend Btoom if you don't mind blood and gore, and a few mature scenes. It's a great show for the action and has a decent story.

Quasar

Finished watching Kanon. Was OK. Really felt it lost its way/interest for me once the Makoto arc was done. Though I did like the Shiori bits.

cnet128

Banned
Hunter x Hunter
BLast of Tempest
Star Driver
No. 6
The Unlimited - Hyobu Kyousuke
Valvrave

Just so you know, Hugstable, it's generally wise to take recommendations from DTL with a large pinch of salt. His tastes often don't match up with general opinion, and he's heavily biased towards shows featuring attractive men (preferably in friendships that he can imagine getting a little too close).

That said, Hunter x Hunter is legitimately a very good shonen action series that you would probably enjoy (there are two versions of the series, but I'd go for the more recent, 2011 adaptation if you want to check it out). It's got 93 episodes and counting, though, so it might be a little intimidating to start out with. Blast of Tempest isn't bad either, and does have some really cool-looking action, but it generates quite mixed opinions, and I'm not sure I'd go so far as to recommend it.

Valvrave is also enjoyable for a number of reasons, but it's not something I'd recommend to somebody over more traditional options. It's one of those crazy trainwreck series that's mostly enjoyable for the novelty of just staring in disbelief at the ridiculous twists and turns its story takes. And honestly, if you're looking for a series like that, Code Geass would be a far better choice.

Trigun
Psycho;Pass
Gungrave

It seems you like a whole lot of shows that involve some gunplay in it, also a lot of good action. I can't recommend these 3 enough then. I haven't seen Gungrave but I heard it's pretty great for the action, and Psycho;Pass I'm currently watching an am enjoying.

I'd like to also recommend Btoom if you don't mind blood and gore, and a few mature scenes. It's a great show for the action and has a decent story.

While I'm putting caveats on things, Psycho-Pass has some pretty awkward pacing issues, and I don't feel like the series delivers on its potential as much as I'd like. It does still have some damn fine moments, though, so it could be worth checking out.

Btooom!, on the other hand, I'd actually second as a recommendation. It isn't a high-profile series or anything, and it's one of those manga adaptations that cuts off without any real ending, but I really did quite enjoy it while it was airing, and it's got a pretty engaging narrative with lots of gritty action.

Gurren Laggan
Baccanoo
Cannan
Black Lagoon
Samurai Shampoo

You have a great treasure trove of fascinating and excellent works to explore. First off, I'll link a thread on classic anime and a thread on anime of the 2000s which will provide some broad guidance for your forays into the medium. What I'd recommend starting with, instead of recent fads, is some of the seminal works that have proven themselves classics over time. Spirited Away will introduce you to the works of Hayao Miyazaki, the most recognized anime director internationally, Grave of the Fireflies to his unjustly overlooked colleague Isao Takahata, Ghost in the Shell to the brooding Mamoru Oshii, and Millennium Actress to the imaginative mind of Satoshi Kon. These films are all fairly accessable and a good way to acquaint yourself with what anime is capable of in the hands of talented people. Sword of the Stranger should also be watched, as it has perhaps the greatest action animation committed to film. For TV shows, Cowboy Bebop, the anime for many Western fans, and Gankutsuou, an adaptation of Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo into a striking sci-fi setting, would be my top recommendations. There's plenty more I could recommend, but these and the provided links should be a good starting point.

Hugstable

Banned
You have a great treasure trove of fascinating and excellent works to explore. First off, I'll link a thread on classic anime and a thread on anime of the 2000s which will provide some broad guidance for your forays into the medium. What I'd recommend starting with, instead of recent fads, is some of the seminal works that have proven themselves classics over time. Spirited Away will introduce you to the works of Hayao Miyazaki, the most recognized anime director internationally, Grave of the Fireflies to his unjustly overlooked colleague Isao Takahata, Ghost in the Shell to the brooding Mamoru Oshii, and Millennium Actress to the imaginative mind of Satoshi Kon. These films are all fairly accessable and a good way to acquaint yourself with what anime is capable of in the hands of talented people. Sword of the Stranger should also be watched, as it has perhaps the greatest action animation committed to film. For TV shows, Cowboy Bebop, the anime for many Western fans, and Gankutsuou, an adaptation of Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo into a striking sci-fi setting, would be my top recommendations. There's plenty more I could recommend, but these and the provided links should be a good starting point.

Wow thank you to everyone for all the suggestions! Seriously it's awesome how I post and 30 minutes later I actually get detailed info about what I should watch. <3

I'm most definitely going to check out Hunter X Hunter and probably Gargantina since a good quick 13 episode series should great to get in too and probably won't take me more than a day or two if I really get into it. ( I actually finished Baccanno the first viewing in like 3 days, and have watched the whole series like 3 more times since each in the course of a day, one of my favorite short series of anything, ever.)

Shergal

Free 7
Hey, a good episode. I was expecting it to be good based on staff, but it's nice to see it deliver with ease (no assistants and only 6 KAs this time, so top-form Kyoani).

It was actually well paced, which is no easy feat for an episode that had to concern itself with so many things, from Rin's backstory to the climatic race in the tournament. No scene felt longer than it should be, and there weren't neglected moments either. There were some flourishes used in a fitting manner (the dream scene, or the eye reflection at the end), and the animation (helmed by Nao Naitou with participation from big names like Kigami and Horiguchi) was spot-on. Especially during uneventful conversations, the show felt more alive than generally, and we got some proper swimming again.
I'm slightly interested to see
Haruka riled up
, a change of dynamics is always nice.

Free! 7

This was a really great episode. Some nice storyboarding, water sakuga, and dat UPPER BODY.
I was expecting Haru to lose now but not get eliminated! That was a very douchey thing of Rin at the end though.

Metrotab

Banned
Free! - 7

The scene where they arrive at the tournament was done excellently. Really transferred that competition vibe well.

Also, swimming is no fucking joke. Lose one race and you're already out!

Articalys

Now that Attack on Titan manga volume 11 has been on sale for more than one weekend, here's an updated look at that comparison, with a bit more equal timeframes:

Volume 9 -- 435,631 regular, 25,712 limited edition after 10 days
Volume 10 -- 417,414 regular, 30,404 limited edition after 6 days (released April 9, 2013, three days after the anime begins)
Volume 11 -- 1,054,915 regular, 275,066 limited edition after 10 days (released August 9, 2013)

And for some lifetime sales totals comparisons, all volumes right around when the anime began airing (standard editions only, as of April 7, 2013)
Volume 1 -- 1,089,423 (released March 17, 2010)
Volume 2 -- 1,051,436 (released July 16, 2010)
Volume 3 -- 1,009,933 (released December 9, 2010)
Volume 4 -- 891,039 (released April 8, 2011)
Volume 5 -- 848,639 (released August 9, 2011)
Volume 6 -- 808,576 (released December 9, 2011)
Volume 7 -- 726,848 (released April 9, 2012)
Volume 8 -- 693,692 (released August 9, 2012)
Volume 9 -- 653,880 (released December 7, 2012)
And now, nineteen weeks later:
Volume 1 -- 2,000,565
Volume 2 -- 1,946,821
Volume 3 -- 1,897,607
Volume 4 -- 1,774,160
Volume 5 -- 1,739,285
Volume 6 -- 1,696,058
Volume 7 -- 1,614,094
Volume 8 -- 1,601,242
Volume 9 -- 1,573,244
Volume 10 -- 1,549,182
So whatever you may think of the anime's quality, I'm sure Kodansha is quite pleased with the results.

Gurren Laggan
Baccanoo
Cannan
Black Lagoon
Samurai Shampoo

Watch Madoka Magica. Let nothing about the show fool you at first glance. You will not regret this decision.

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East Episode 20 – Chance Encounters
tumblr_mrusc9xnhM1raedrao3_500.gif

Obligatory Kobu best moments. Dotetsu coming back added good things to the plot
and now so many of the ones with marks and marbles gathered, if Ao would come back
. Had hoped this plot would be resolved after his intro in the early episodes. Next week finally
kawaii shotas

Kuroko No Basket - Episode 5

I love how
butthurt
the blonde guy is that
he lost

Also once again the reason I like sports shows is shown again.
"A bunch of thugs is bullying these guys."
"I know how to beat them... with basketball."

Lol sports anime always solve all their problems with sports and I always find that funny for some reason.

cnet128

Banned
Moon Phase - 2

Male protagonist confirmed to be the stupidest male protagonist ever. Who wouldn't hug that. WHO?!?

Uhhhhhh...someone with no soul, perhaps?

Yes! Precure 5 - 23

Hmmm, what is this strange noise I hear? Oh, that's right, it's the sound of SHIT GETTING REAL.

Episode started out with a pretty nasty little turn of events - I'll admit I winced when the inevitable happened and those precious beads went everywheeeeeeere - and then it just carried on downhill from there. Righteous indignance at Nozomi's carelessness flared up into an all-out argument between all five Cures where hurtful words were said and everyone did things they'll regret. The result: the following day, the Cures are all avoiding each other, and the tension between them all is palpable.

Meanwhile, with sickeningly perfect timing, the Nightmare folks are on the move. Mantis-man gets given an ultimatum: he's failed too many times now, and so now he has just one final chance. If you can even call it a chance, that is, because the final tactic he's instructed to use is
a black mask that turns himself into a monster, seemingly irreversibly
. Not the most pleasant of final missions.

And to add insult to injury, mantis-man's superiors don't even leave him to get the job done on his own. Desparaia's own personal secretary, Kawarino, tags along to capture each of the Cures as soon as Mantis-Monster has overpowered them. And when I say "capture", I mean
imprison their minds in nightmares about their own fears and doubts, complete with super-creepy doppelgangers to taunt them.

So with all her friends captured, Nozomi has to set off to the Nightmare home turf all on her own, to confront Desparaia herself (well, over the communication screen thingy, anyway). Whereupon it turns out
all the other Cures have been turned into creepy masked Nightmare employees.

I have to admit, the odds don't exactly seem stacked in Nozomi's favour here. How's she going to get out of this one?

cnet128

Banned
Watch Madoka Magica. Let nothing about the show fool you at first glance. You will not regret this decision.

I have no idea why I didn't include Madoka in my original list of recommendations. Must have been having a critical brain failure. Yes, this should definitely be watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom