• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite the same thing, but I'm suddenly reminded of this:

iv7SI4Q20tFch.gif

cheat sheet:
look at the guy peeking out of the door frame.

Even with the hint, that took me five minutes to figure out.

Apollon was such a good series. I just pulled up that scene on YouTube because I must rewatch it.

Shergal

Bahi JD had a good run.

I imagine that's not actually his fault since I don't think he was doing the compositing.

It wasn't his fault, but damn the more I look at the cut the more I see how inexperienced the guy was. His stuff in that live action short is like 100 times better.

Branduil

That's some ugly romanisation right there >.>

Let's not use macrons across morpheme boundaries please. I'm pretty sure there's no romanisation system that permits that. (In fact, Hepburn says that i-with-macron in particular should only be used in katakana words. So no "onī-chan"s or anything like that either ~.~)

Romanization that uses macrons should die in a fire. How am I supposed to type that crap? It's stupid anyway because regular everyday English doesn't use macrons.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
yeah, yeah, gaijin 3DPD and all, but this was kind of amusing. I started watching Orange is the New Black on Netflix yesterday, and at the beginning of episode three, Daya (one of the protag's cellmates) is reading this:

I laughed thinking it was a throwaway reference, but later in the episode, she's transferred to a different ward of the prison and we see her taping this to her bunk wall:

Daya's new cellmate gets angry because putting things on the wall is against the rules and yells "Officer! Tell her she gotta take this ugly shit down!" The prison guard is smitten with her so he lets her keep it on the wall, but before then there's this little exchange:

Guard: Your kid draw that?
Daya: No, I did.
Guard: Sorry, I didn't mean...
Daya: No, it's okay. I kind of messed it up. The eyes are too small.

At which point the guard makes this face:

lol.

fake edit: ugh these images compressed terribly for some reason. sorry

Branduil

I got a lot of free time on my hands recently and I wanted to get a few recommendations for some Anime. I haven't watched much Anime throughout my Lifetime, but the few series I have watched that sparked my interest ended up becoming shows I will remember and watch again for a lifetime. There is just so much stuff out there that I don't even know where to start to look for good Anime.

My favorites and the only series I have seen are: (I may have a lot of spelling errors.)

Gurren Laggan
Baccanoo
Cannan
Black Lagoon
Samurai Shampoo

and recently Attack on Titan. I got the 14 trial from Crunchyroll and I might sub for a few months if I'm able to find some good stuff. I like stuff that isn't too long and has a great story with good action and animation. If a show is somewhat longer than the usual 20-40 episodes or so, I might be down if it's truly worth the investment.

Well, just on Crunchyroll I'd recommend

Fate Zero

From the New World

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Little Witch Academia

Also, on youtube you would probably enjoy

Birdy the Mighty Decode

You may also want to look into

Cowboy Bebop

and

Fullmetal Alchemist

jgminto

Free! 7

Rin is that kid who you constantly beat at video games. Then when he wins once he quits and acts like he's the best. Fuck him!

Ojamajo Doremi 51 END

RESET BUTTONS! To save Onpu from being in a 100 year coma, everyone sacrifices their statues as witches/ojamajos in order to save Onpu, which they nearly failed at doing. They did it because they realized they can achieve the reason they became witches without the need of magic. MahoDou closes up, and magic and humans separate from each other
until #

=======

Well this one took me the longest to finish, and I regret actually putting this off. I was introduced to Ojamajo Doremi from someone I knew due to me ranting and raving about Heartcatch Precure, so naturally, I'd end up here.

Ojamajo Doremi... really wasn't like the other mahou shoujos I've been watching. It's much more character driven with magic not being as "almighty" as it is in other ones, and frankly, that is one of its best points, as it allows it to achieve heights that would've been hindered otherwise if we had to deal with Monster of the Weeks. While this had its fair share of silly episodes, it also had some really dramatic ones too, some feel just right, but there's one on my mind that was dramatic to being more funny than not
I mean drinking yourself into a stupor for not going pro, only to stop drinking when your son wins a tournament.

And in regards to the character drama, immediately, starting this show, I thought "This is for more than kids, I mean I don't think you can show this kind of stuff nowadays. Too politically correct. But hay, we get the full extent of asshole children, and family drama". Our main cast have some interesting dynamics, with Steak Boner Doremi, the Adorable Hazuki, and the Suffering but Spunky Aiko, later joined up with the straightforward Onpu, and Pimping Pop. But it's not just about them, there's also the large side cast. Like this dude

eP3nbAh.jpg

Look at him he's styling and profiling!

That gets expanded and don't feel like they're just there. Even the teacher, Seki is used well to not feel throwaway (although sometimes, it's like I'm hearing them say Sexy-Senpai).

This series, despite using younger characters, still have depth that would make other shows for this audience look shameful. It's not as cheery as looking at the art would make you believe, and that's another part of its charm; being misleading (even in the fucking episode titles). If you're tired of MotW and/or liked Heartcatch Precure, take this up. Pretty legit show.

Episode 34 was the best episode. Just amazing.

CorvoSol

It's a good thing Glass Fleet isn't 50 episodes long, as I'm kinda thinking I should drop it again. Show just doesn't interest me much at all.

Hayate no Gotoku!! 02

PH6Ci4Kl.jpg

I have to remind myself that I'm back in manga material and that pretty much a large half of the first season never happened as far as this show is concerned.

CorvoSol

Turn A Gundam 25

"My name's not Laura!" YEEEEEEEEEES. It took 25 episodes to get there, but Loran's finally done with that nonsense, and to prove how fucking badass he is, he chucks his shield and gun in Sochie's Kapool's hands, draws his two beam sabers, blitzes the WaDom (remember that these things are like, twice the size of a Gundam), and chops it to bits. Then he starts spinning the Turn A's hands and turns his beam sabers into shields to deflect the enemy barrage. So good.

There's some evidence in this episode that Sochie still has feelings for Loran instead of Gavane, to whom she is engaged (dude bought her a dress), but I really hope she sticks with Gavane, 'cuz he's a nice guy, even if he's older than her. Also we see Diana heading off to try and meet up with Kihel, so they can swap places and Diana can get back to the moon and hopefully fix all of this. Meanwhile she's hanging out with Corrin Nander, who is bananers.

The best part of the episode, though, is the three-way fight between Keith, Loran and Fran, who all just kind of tear into one another. Fran, who now has some stuff for Joseph but isn't entirely over Keith, rips him a new one for selling bread to both sides and pretending that he's somehow morally above all this. Keith rips into Loran for being Guin Rhineford's toady, and Loran doesn't seem phased by it at first.

Then we get to see that it DOES bug Loran and he does realize that Guin's been using him, which leads into Loran's "My name's not Laura!" The episode concludes with Lily Borjano (possibly the only person more conniving/cunning than Guin himself), to point out to Guin that Loran is more like a panther than an angel, and when Loran realizes that, he's going to come after Guin.

To which Guin Rhineford most ominously replies, "I'll be waiting for him."

Quasar

So I was browsing Amazon to see if there was anything worthwhile coming out soon to complement my crunchyroll viewing. Came across Michiko to Hatchin (which I've actually wanted to see for a while) and Sankarea. What's the consensus on those two? Blu-Ray prices make me leery, so are either (or both) actually worth it?

I liked Sankarea for the most part. Liked it enough to want a season two and enough to start reading the manga to get more of the story. Not that I'd want to own it...but then the amount of anime I own/want to own could be counted on one hand. For the most part anime is not something I rewatch a lot or need to own in pristine 1080p.

The soundtrack including songs by Annabel and nano.Ripe is pretty nice too. Especially the Annabel track for the ED.

CorvoSol

Dai-Guard 17

So, like any good giant robot, Dai-Guard is getting his respeck as a God now, but this is bugging Shirota. Which makes sense since they kinda implied that Shirota is 1)an alias and 2)not Japanese, but possibly English. Anyway, the point is the company's skeevy president and the yandere military Shirota-fanboy have struck up a bargain with this crazy new megachurch making a profit off of this guy who is preaching that his spiritual powers, combined with the Dai-Guard, are what is defeating the Heterodyne. Now, I've seen a couple of mecha shows, and it seems to me that normally, for your spiritually powers to combine with a mech, you gotta be inside of it. Just normally.

Anyway, Akagi and company are on one last company sponsored getaway before PR Division 2 is no more, and it so happens they stumble a cross a Heterodyne there. Madness ensues when they resolve not to destroy it, since a senile old man thinks it is his waifu. Dai-Guard shows up anyway, but Shirota hands the pilots their asses and Akagi, Ibuki, and Aoyama subdue the thing. Turns out the Heterodyne is so huge it is underneath the entire Kyoto area, and destroying it would, in turn, destroy the city. So they resolve to leave it alone, as it slowly sinks underground, drifting toward the mantle.

Watamote - 7

Episode started off slow, but ended up decent.

Definitely reminds me of more than a few completely uneventful summers I've had.

CorvoSol

Glass Fleet 18

So, aside from the mind-numbingly cliche JRPG Church of evil lol-worthy GAFesque moment where they stand around for four minutes in this episode and yammer about how the Cross Star Religion has turned the brains of these guys to mush (as opposed to thirty years in a dungeon, which we were originally lead to believe), there isn't a whole lot to talk about in this episode. Science itself has announced that if Cleo and Betty don't have sex with each other, they will die. Cleo is magical and resurrects a ship with his cleavage. Ralph is the new Sarah Zabiarov. Hulk Hogan and Luci Christian are the only good characters in the show.

Basically this episode was Prison Break Two: Imperial Palace Boogaloo.

Victory Gundam 12

Not that bad of an episode. Uso's dopieness was kept to a minimum, Shakti had minimal screen time, and Karlman had no screamtime. What we did have was some more senseless killings and at least a bit of character development for Mashmyre and Haman's lovechild. I'm rather fond of the way this show is animated, though. It has that ol' reliable 90's anime look, where everyone has bad fashion sense and the backgrounds feel kinda more detailed. And the action sequences remain good. Then again, I can't really name a Gundam show that had bad action sequences. Stardust Memory and Awakening of the Trailblazer, and that's it, really. Everything else has been good thus far. Kinda weird that the Zanscare use such an antiquated method of public execution, but I guess they're going for that whole shock and awe feel, so there's that. I can also sort of see how this show and Turn A Gundam relate, in that one could see how people are growing tired of this space warfare and such, and the Earth feels much less populated at this time. Turn A hasn't really touched on what the fate of the Space Colonies and Jupiter Sphere are, instead focusing mostly on the Earth and its Moon, but still.

And even though the Shrike team is full of waifus, Ms. Marbet is still the number one Best Girl in the show.

cnet128

Banned
Precure Series Rankings:
Heartcatch>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Futari wa>Smile

Can't comment on this since I've only seen one of the three relevant series xp

Precure Precure Rankings:
Marine>White>Sunshine>Sunny>Moonlight>Peace>Blossom>March>Black>Beauty>Happy

DAMN son what is Black doing all the way down there when White is up near the top. Fix that shit.

Precure Mascot Rankings:
Porun>Potpourri>Candy>Chypre/Coffret> (grand canyon of >'s) >Hammer to the Balls>Mepple/Mipple>Drowning in a Vat of Elephant Feces

Now I'm trying to decide which would actually be more unpleasant, taking a hammer to the balls or drowning in elephant feces. I haven't managed to reach a conclusion, but I do know that it's not fair on Mepple or Mipple to compare them to either. Seriously, why does everybody hate those two so much? They were pretty damn inoffensive IMO.

This ranking does have Porun in his correct position, though, so I can't fault it too much.

Cure blacks main failing is that she isnt Honoka. But thats a lot of precure failings.

lolno

Yayoi is probably in the top 5 most adorable anime characters ever. thats saying a lot.

lolyes

True. Cure black loves to eat. Good lord Nagisa.

I have yet to find a Precure MC who doesn't love to eat. Hell, in Yes! 5 it seems at times like the entire group may have inherited this trait.

Oh great... someday I'll need to make a Precure Ranking....

That should be fun.

I am looking forward to the day when I can make a comprehensive set of Precure Rankings that contains nothing but supreme truth and any who deny its accuracy will be declared heretics and sent into exile.

It's going to be so much fun.

Free! 7

Rin is that kid who you constantly beat at video games. Then when he wins once he quits and acts like he's the best. Fuck him!

This is...surprisingly accurate.

liezryou

Anime bros, i need some help. I want to start watching naruto again, the only issue is i kinda left it like way way long ago, i think sometime after the very first chuunin exams after orochimarus first attack.

I need somewhere where i can revisit the story without seeing each episode again and i can find out which episode Im at >.<. If anyone could help that would be awesome.

cnet128

Banned
Anime bros, i need some help. I want to start watching naruto again, the only issue is i kinda left it like way way long ago, i think sometime after the very first chuunin exams after orochimarus first attack.

I need somewhere where i can revisit the story without seeing each episode again and i can find out which episode Im at >.<. If anyone could help that would be awesome.

At risk of sounding obvious...here?

CorvoSol

Simple Naruto plot outline:

Naruto still hasn't hooked up with Sakura or Hinata.
Rock Lee still has a stupid large fan base because eyebrows.
Sauce is now more powerful than Jesus.
Naruto still isn't a Hitokage or whatever those guys were.
Ash Ketchum will never be a Pokemon Master.

Seven hundred episodes and nothing has changed since the pilot.

Theonik

Rozen Maiden soaked up all their resources.

Now watch Diebuster. You won't regret it!
I second that notion!

Being Aiko is suffering.
Why is it that best girls must always suffer?

I realized that much, and I know the musical notes in their wands and on their emblems and such, as well as Doremi's name, and that their spells' music correspond to the treasures they mixed their wands with. I just didn't realize just how prevalent music actually is in the show, like evoking emotional moments like with Aiko's dad and Masaru's dad.
Music is also prominent in how they summon all their magical items. Do Mi Sol for the wands etc. They also need to transform before the music ends.

Only one tail? That's abhorrent.
One copy for each tail.

liezryou

At risk of sounding obvious...here?

I thought there might be someplace better, but i guess if that's it, that's it.

Simple Naruto plot outline:

Naruto still hasn't hooked up with Sakura or Hinata.
Rock Lee still has a stupid large fan base because eyebrows.
Sauce is now more powerful than Jesus.
Naruto still isn't a Hitokage or whatever those guys were.
Ash Ketchum will never be a Pokemon Master.

Seven hundred episodes and nothing has changed since the pilot.

That sauce one got me, i lold.

wonzo

Banned
Tamayura ~more aggressive~ 7

tamayurama7.jpg

Who knew the sound of a camera shutter going off twice could trigger such a wave of emotions. ;__;

SATOJUN GOAT

sonicmj1

My Little Witch Academia Blu-Ray just arrived in the mail!

ibtevMeJyPopsl.jpg
i4CeVnVoseXld.jpg

The book that comes with it.
ibj04MBA7IYDxE.jpg
iP4HVahP08AaW.jpg

The case itself.

The book is really cool. It has a lot of storyboards and sketches, the full script, and some interviews. There's even a helpful little string to hold your place, which can't be expensive, but I'm glad it's there. You can see what sort of things the young animators were responsible for. 110 glorious color pages in all.

Haven't gotten to the disk and soundtrack themselves yet, but receiving this definitely made my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom