• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

I realize I'm late to this but holy fucking shit at Aku no Hana selling 400 and 200 units for Volumes 1 and 2. o_O It didn't even sell a Fractale combined.

cajunator

Banned
It's only # episodes long. How bad can it be?

Apocalpyse Zero :(

Chitanda > Mayaka

Hmmm...
Misaki > Irisu > Chitanda > Mayakas friends > Orekis sister > whoever that short haired girl is. She sucks.

It's a shame Hyouka won't get a sequel never or in looooooong time. Meanwhile Chunnibyou gets 2 seasons and a movie.

Better shows get better treatment. Just the way it is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I realize I'm late to this but holy fucking shit at Aku no Hana selling 400 and 200 units for Volumes 1 and 2. o_O It didn't even sell a Fractale combined.
SSY levels!

Sket Dance really isn't that similar in style to Gintama. It's more the premise, what with the 3-person helper team, but in high school instead of crazy alien Tokyo.
I suppose that came through in the crossovers.

---

Love Lab 9
jt7UTd2l.jpg

Not much to say about the episode other than I quite liked the composition of this final shot. It's a nice way to sum up the episode.
Pay attention to the colors!

That said, the show needs to get back to boys again.

Defuser

Love Lab ep 9
That is some ocean eleven's shit right there and stocks exchange.

Next week is Eno's brother preview. Though I would rather have the other guys again.

wonzo

Banned
Love Lab 9

lovelab9.jpg

The drama was kinda heavy-handed at first but the payoff was well worth it and the Sayo and Eno moments wouldn't have been anywhere near as poignant as they were without it. Good stuff.

CorvoSol

Victory Gundam 16

What is Shakti even doing with her life right now? Wasn't she with the LM? Why did she need to sneak onto this ship? Why is she dragging a baby and a dog along with her on this ship? How did Karlman magically manage not to fuck up her stealth mission? What is this girl's objective, anyway? To be the most amazingly pointless woman in the show? Cuz she's gonna have to fight Katejina for that something fierce. I just don't get like, why we're focusing on Shakti at all here. Nor do I get why Marbet risked capture when she or Uso could've gone out in the Gundam and fought. And why, oh God of Mecha, are we like, tripling the number of fucking kids in the cast? You know they're all gonna die anyway. And how long has it been since MSG that THE Gundam is considered a legend? Like I get that his exploits were legendary and all, but it cannot have been that long since 0079, right? Famous is a word people use to describe old war characters in the real world, but legendary usually belongs for things from a hell of a lot longer back. PLUS, it can't have been that long since the Jupiter Empire was defeated, during which conflict the Federation had mass produced F91 Gundams.

cnet128

Banned
Nisemonogatari 5

Some of this stuff is getting a bit too weird. The towel wipedown for his sister and then he was about to kiss her...I know what he's trying to do and this is mostly benign (well, relatively speaking), but still...yucky.

Waiting with bated breath for your impressions of Episode
~~8~~
. Very bated.

YuruYuri Ep 1-3

bDUV50O.png

But... But... Floor icecream gives you health!

Those came by with less frequency than Nichibros, though. The good bits were always spaced out a little too much by stuff that didn't succeed. As fond of the show as I am, it could've used some condensing.

Nonsense. The "good bits" (ie. the occasional absolutely fucking amazing sketches, usually the high-concept ones) were spaced out by things like Hakase scenes (which were God-level purely based on their cuteness even before you start taking their humour into account) and other more low-key skits that were generally highly amusing and entertaining in their own right. Even in the occasional instance when the humour did fall a bit flat (which is inevitable for any comedy show), the great characters still made sure every moment ot the show was a pleasure to watch. And that's without even getting into the godly production values that elevated everything still further.

And curiously enough, the anime adaptations for all three involve Tomokazu Sugita.

edit: not just only that, but in particular, Sugita as a member of a three-person core group in the show.

This is now officially a goddamn conspiracy.

Sugita is one of the protags in Nichibros? Dammit, I can feel that show moving up my "anime I should check out" list. And it was already pretty high. (Not that this means anything for the near future, since it doesn't seem likely anything on that list is going to get watched while Precure is taking up all my backlog time...)

Shergal

The Nichijou critique only works under the very narrow assumption that it was supposed to make you laugh at every scene.

I agree with this. The pillow shots, many of the "short thoughts" and the like-love scenes aren't gags. And a lot of the "gags" thrive on animation rather than comedy, although I guess not everyone can get off that.
I don't know, the chase scene in episode 2 or the Disney-ish card castle skit in episode 17 don't strike me as things that are trying to make you laugh. They're more the creators being playful and experimenting with forms and styles (which I guess one could accuse of being fairly tame a lot of the time, but hey, for me it just worked).

I'll agree that the show could still stand to be more consistent, but that was a fairly minor issue and personally I don't expect most comedies to consistently make me laugh. If it manages to be amusing and interesting from any other angle consistently, that's pretty good enough for me.

LeleSocho

Banned
Give me a reason to watch the last 6 episodes of LOTGH

Also i liked a lot Nichijou, it was fun and the animation was top notch for the genre.

Theonik

C3 Club 09
Eh, not really much to say. Everything seems to be working out according to Rin's Keikaku so far. More dumb fun and I suppose the betrayalton at the end.
Let's see how the next 4 episodes will go.

Dresden

Love Lab - 09

I didn't think Enomoto's hair could get any fluffier, but it turns, they were indeed fluffier back in the day.

Nonsense. The "good bits" (ie. the occasional absolutely fucking amazing sketches, usually the high-concept ones) were spaced out by things like Hakase scenes (which were God-level purely based on their cuteness even before you start taking their humour into account) and other more low-key skits that were generally highly amusing and entertaining in their own right. Even in the occasional instance when the humour did fall a bit flat (which is inevitable for any comedy show), the great characters still made sure every moment ot the show was a pleasure to watch. And that's without even getting into the godly production values that elevated everything still further.

Humor is largely subjective, but I feel like there's a part we can judge with more empirical mindset, i.e. the part of the brain we use when we determine that Big Bang Theory is awful. Approach it with the assumption that there's some variance to be accounted for regarding cultural context and there's still the mechanical aspect of it, the delivery of the beats which we recognize as jokes and gags. The beginning, the end, stuff like that. And when we consider the 'bad bits' in the show, I'm not talking about the sketches with a more experimental bent, but rather the stretches which the show wants you to laugh but there's no punchline to anything, no conclusion, the viewer left waiting for the mic drop but left instead hanging in a world where no mic was dropped. These are sketches that make no attempt at observation, no jokes to be delivered, physical gags where the gag cuts off without the final hit, the bonk, the laugh. Instead you get long, drawn-out reactions - speed lines - ludicrously exaggerated responses to mundane events that doesn't elicit a humorous response. It's like a long, awkward laugh track that never cuts out but instead keeps going and going. I'd be more inclined to believe in the show's experimental bent regarding this, were it not for the way it's structured, how it's presented. There's a clear delineation between the stranger sketches - the airplane gags that always culminate with Mio's hairclips come to mind, or even the various takes on awkwardness and discomfort, stretched out to encompass every sweatdrop on a certain teacher's face - and the ones where the show does want you to laugh, but there's no humor there. Oh no, Yuuko tripped! Asteroids are hitting the ground! Explosions! For five minutes! If these work for you, cheers. But they don't for others. Hence the bevy of negative responses, which isn't isolated to this thread or even this forum.

I should make it clear here that I'm perfectly content with accepting your opinion regarding the humor, the cute, whatever. I'm not rambling here in order to change your mind or make you agree with me. I'm just trying to get you to understand why I feel the way I do regarding the show, and why dismissing these concerns as nonsense while lacing it with hyperbolic praise might not be the most sensible thing to do.

The Nichijou critique only works under the very narrow assumption that it was supposed to make you laugh at every scene.

You make it sound as if the scenes without humor were the exception instead of the norm. It's a comedy that is rarely funny and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that critique.

fertygo

I don't like Kill la kill coloring that shown in the CM :(
Its less vibrant than Gurren Laggan or LWA

Regarding Nichijou, yeah its boring as fuck.. Hakase ruin the show.

Quasar

Just watched #9 of Servant x Service. It had lots of cool/funny moments as usual. And as I said last week, 'hang in there Hasabe'. Its been interesting seeing this other side to him, whats underneath the confident, jokey exterior.

Also watched the new episodes of Tamayura and Silver Spoon. The former was pretty nice, more enjoyable than the last. It seems always strongest when Potte is interacting with people from her fathers past. Though quite a few questions I had about Natsume and his relationship with Kazuma. Silver Spoon was OK too I guess. I guess it was a nice ender for the whole summer as farmhand story. And if I didn't know any better I'd think it was directly pointing to Hachiken's future.

Theonik

Rabu Rabu 09
This episode was great. From Makio Evolved, to some good layouts to some actually good drama. I'm impressed. Though I might be coloured heavily from watching fucking C3 Club before it.
The Green and Red flashbacks were pretty well done too. Legit.

Blue Exorcist - Episode 10

Yup... I saw this coming... a beach episode coming up next, smh. Why in almost every anime nowadays there has to be a beach episode. I can't even remember the last anime that didn't have one.

Anyways, this was a good episode. It really showed how high and mighty the
priest guy was (forgot name)
, and the cat was cute.

People dont like beach episodes? :(
Hopefully the other beach event is animated someday :/ its such a good arc.

cajunator

Banned
I got an hour flight tomorrow. What should I watch? Was just gonna grab a couple Detective Conan AOs, but I feel like that might make it a bit slower.

Cat BLue Dynamite! Although its only 42 minutes. But if you also watch the catchy music video that goes with it you can pass 50 minutes very quickly and enjoyably.

I have been out of watching anime for a while and I miss some shows in the last few years. I always seen Madoka Magica figures and wonder why it seems to be so popular. Well finally watched it. Very interesting ;) I ended up marathoning the entire series since yesterday.

Steins;Gate is another show that you might find yourself having to marathon. Its a very compelling story with plenty of twists

wonzo

Banned
Short Animations of Shintaro Kago 1-17

shintarokagoshorts1.jpg

Crudely animated as all hell, but no less brilliant than what you'd usually expect from the great Shintaro Kago.

cajunator

Banned

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi 38
Good faces this episode and Onpu continues to be the cutest thing ever. That still doesn't redeem her actions on 35 but she's fairly inoffensive the last few episodes.
Doremi making a statue of Majo Rika was sweet.
Some great faces this episode too but I run out of screen hosting space at this moment.

Ojamajo Doremi 38

Good faces this episode and Onpu continues to be the cutest thing ever. That still doesn't redeem her actions on 35 but she's fairly inoffensive the last few episodes.
Doremi making a statue of Majo Rika was sweet.
Some great faces this episode too but I run out of screen hosting space at this moment.

When I said episode 40 back them, I meant episode 40 of #, the second season.

I see, I see. We are all doing a Ultimadrago comeback ritual, right? Right?!

Theonik

When I said episode 40 back them, I meant episode 40 of #, the second season.

I see, I see. We are all doing a Ultimadrago comeback ritual, right? Right?!
I know. It's gonna be a while though not as much as you think if I can just pick it up again...
Was forcibly stopped last week otherwise I'd be at around episode 20 of sharp.

I know. It's gonna be a while though not as much as you think if I can just pick it up again...
Was forcibly stopped last week otherwise I'd be at around episode 20 of sharp.

From your post that time I got the impression that you had watched a lot of episodes and was already at #.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom