• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
BroCon 09

awQYnRyl.jpg

The faux-incest becomes even more faux-er!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BroCon 09

http://i.imgur.com/awQYnRyl.jpg

The faux-incest becomes even more faux-er!
Is your brain full of fuck, etc?

Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ ep.9

I'll admit that at first I wasn't sure how the episode was going to work out with the
"grumpier former classmate who takes photography more seriously"
angle.

I shouldn't have let my faith waver; it was a beautiful episode with an emotional ending as usual.

The fact that this entire franchise hasn't been licensed by anyone internationally (as far as I know) is a travesty.
R1EuIq7l.jpg

This wrecked me.

It's not moe enough to reach the pander market I guess. That, or they just don't want to license it to anyone.

cajunator

Banned
Neptunia statement.

they better get Mark Cerny in the PSV Noire game. I buy 10,000 copies son. fuck ill buy a vita for that son. better yet put him in the second season of the nep Nep anime...and ill buy all that JoJo and ask for it to be put on Toonami every day.

He the rap game Steve Jobs SON!

What?

..what?

Motto To-LOVE-ru: 09

Adorable. Also, butts (NSFW)

Dawwww.

I demand to know!

I don't think i want another Clannad experience... dem feelings ;__;

Well Clannad has a happy story compared to Saikano.

Spent all day at work yesterday watching 90s anime with my co-workers.

What is happening.

You've done a noble thing. And no doubt had a blast. Which shows?

CorvoSol

Look, I know this is hard for you guys to figure out, but you don't have to watch something if you don't like it.

I'm pretty sure you do. I quit watching Rah Xephon because I didn't like it, and people have never let me hear the end of that when it comes up. Meanwhile, I don't have this problem with Gundam AGE, 00, or E7AO, because I did watch those even though I did not like them.

The Count of Monte Cristo 20

Ah yeah, Peppo the best girl, back in the thick of it.

Albert in drag, haha. So good.

How are you not done with this show yet, man!

Branduil

Nichibros 6

It's amazing how this show compares to Nichijou and proves the irrelevancy of good production value in terms of creating humor. This scenes is just a loop of a long distance-shot of them playing volleyball, but it's still funny because of the lines and their delivery. I guess production value is important, then, at least in terms of hiring VAs with the right comedic skills.

Nichibros 6

It's amazing how this show compares to Nichijou and proves the irrelevancy of good production value in terms of creating humor. This scenes is just a loop of a long distance-shot of them playing volleyball, but it's still funny because of the lines and their delivery. I guess production value is important, then, at least in terms of hiring VAs with the right comedic skills.

The real reason why there's no magical guys. Thanks Harry Potter.
lol

wonzo

Banned
Nichibros 6

It also helps the source material for Nichibros is far better than that other series that must not be named.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nichibros 6

Except one is based on visual comedy and the other is based on manzai comedy.

I mean, that's like saying Louis CK is funnier than Bugs Bunny.

Jintor

I would still have liked it if Nichibros had amazing animation though.

It was still pretty decently animated though. Some of those Yaachan skits are amazing

I have been out of watching anime for a while and I miss some shows in the last few years. I always seen Madoka Magica figures and wonder why it seems to be so popular. Well finally watched it. Very interesting ;) I ended up marathoning the entire series since yesterday.

Branduil

Except one is based on visual comedy and the other is based on manzai comedy.

I mean, that's like saying Louis CK is funnier than Bugs Bunny.

Well I think the issue is that Nichibros is good at what it does while Nichijou uses amazing production value as a cover for mediocre material.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
but louis ck is funnier than bugs bunny
Charlie Chaplin then. :p

Well I think the issue is that Nichibros is good at what it does while Nichijou uses amazing production value as a cover for mediocre material.
Well, of course comedy is also wholly subjective. For me things like the hyper cube, the deer suplex, the yaoi chase around the world, and so on, are just as funny as say, the straight-man gags you get in Nichibros and Gintama.

Dresden

Well, of course comedy is also wholly subjective. For me things like the hyper cube, the deer suplex, the yaoi chase around the world, and so on, are just as funny as say, the straight-man gags you get in Nichibros and Gintama.

Those came by with less frequency than Nichibros, though. The good bits were always spaced out a little too much by stuff that didn't succeed. As fond of the show as I am, it could've used some condensing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
YL6ZsJfl.jpg

Dat symbolism. lol

Yeah, I don't really see a third path here. This is the GooP story, but focusing on the preamble of getting stronger and the only style is the winning style first before everyone finds out that caring about friends and showing true sportsmanship is the best way to improve yourself and live life.

But hey, if this turns out to be the anti-GooP, where being cold, calculating, emotionless turns out to be the best way to live life, then I'll applaud the show for not giving us the typical sports pablum that we get in most sports stories (hey, even Friday Night Lights couldn't avoid this when the "ghetto" school ended up beating the rich white kids lol).

Yea, they addressed this in the first scenes as we see Yura own up to her mistakes, she got a taste of victory through cheating and she hated it, victory without honor meant nothing to her. That is the reason she was seeking a rematch. Also, a big reason why she is heading to Team Rin is she learned Rin was not as bad a person as she thought. Rather then being the sniper, she took down the sniper and this has left an impact. Also, Sonora seems to harbor no ill will towards this move if Yura feels that it is something she must do. Now, I don't discount that the sports cliches could come rumbling in, but I am rather impressed with the depth that have given this thus far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Those came by with less frequency than Nichibros, though. The good bits were always spaced out a little too much by stuff that didn't succeed. As fond of the show as I am, it could've used some condensing.
I mean, both shows had hit-and-miss sketches for me, so... *shrugs*
I'll be honest, the gags I remember most from Nichibros are the riverside chats, the crossdressing in the first episode (and in the trailer for the movie), and Funky High School Girls (but that's because of my own predilections).

Of course, you have something like Polar Bear Cafe, which has both the visual gags (of the animal variety) and the verbal gags (Penguin being exasperated at Polar Bear and Panda), and does it well.

I dunno. I think it's fair to find one funnier than the other, because comedy is unquantifiable and very personal. But I don't think it's fair to say that somehow Nichijou used production values to mask how unfunny it secretly was.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yea, they addressed this in the first scenes as we see Yura own up to her mistakes, she got a taste of victory through cheating and she hated it, victory without honor meant nothing to her. That is the reason she was seeking a rematch. Also, a big reason why she is heading to Team Rin is she learned Rin was not as bad a person as she thought. Rather then being the sniper, she took down the sniper and this has left an impact. Also, Sonora seems to harbor no ill will towards this move if Yura feels that it is something she must do. Now, I don't discount that the sports cliches could come rumbling in, but I am rather impressed with the depth that have given this thus far.
I suppose we should just discount the absurdity of the characters putting all these stakes into overglorified waterguns or laser tag first and foremost and treat this situation as seriously as the characters do.

It's clear that the characters have drawn a line based on their mutual master. He's the ironic figure who was both apparently an embodiment of joie de vivre while also a man capable of taking part in Zero Dark Thirty.
Sonora sees his happiness, the fact that he's willing to play with overglorified waterguns with little girls, as a positive. He isn't a psychopath who is always on and sleeps with an AK-47 under his bed like a Vietnam war vet getting flashbacks of Charlie trying to hunt him down in the jungle. Rin sees that as a weakness that lead him to get killed, presumably in combat (because otherwise it wouldn't make sense). I really think it's as simple as that, because that's how they've positioned the characters. Rin sees Sonora as week, but Sonora sees Rin as a sad pathetic human being. It's why Sonora gave those disappointed and sad looks at Yura way back in episode 3 or 4. She's not fine with just giving up, but if you are playing a game as if it were life or death, you are playing for the wrong reason.

Again, none of this makes sense anyway, since apparently a bunch of girls were able to beat real US Marines at the watergun tournament. But if we take the world at face value, I think that's how everyone has been positioned.

Which is why I compare it to GooP, where Miho "failed" the Nishizumi lineage by placing the lives of her soldiers over ultimate victory. While Miho's mother and sister aren't necessarily evil, they are just clearly wrong and misguided. Under no real situation is it okay to let a group of girls drown in a river just because you are about to win a simulated tank battle, and it makes perfect sense how the show ends.

CorvoSol

A. Laziness
B. School
C. Lots on my current watch list
D. Laziness

You have six episodes left and they're the best six episodes, man. Whatever else you were watching can wait.

Turn A Gundam 32

Dianna Soriel mentions "Gyn Gingham" in this episode, and at first, that meant nothing to me. Then I remembered that very vaguely, the name "Jin Gehenam" has come up once or twice in Victory Gundam. No idea if there's a connection there or not, but Gundam Historia will explain it all to me! Anyway, most of this episode was dedicated to how hilariously stupid Lt. Poe is. At first it doesn't seem so, what with Lt. Harry making out with her to instantly heal her of the cold (I saw this in a video game recently, too!), but then the shit hits the fan and the Turn A is ripping her goddamn ship into a million pieces and only after she's sunk does Poe remark "Hey! I forgot I had an MS I could use to fight back with! Too late! Glubglub."

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I dunno. I think it's fair to find one funnier than the other, because comedy is unquantifiable and very personal. But I don't think it's fair to say that somehow Nichijou used production values to mask how unfunny it secretly was.
Well, for the Nichijou skits that weren't working simply having shit be loud and crazy was a large part of it. Production goes into that, but it's not the fundamental problem.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, for the Nichijou skits that weren't working simply having shit be loud and crazy was a large part of it. Production goes into that, but it's not the fundamental problem.
Well, again I'll just say that's subjective. For example, I thought the first paintball episode of Community was cute and inventive. Then it became a two-parter in the second season that was tedious and drawn out. Yet lots of people loved that episode as much or even more than the original episode it was based on. I don't know if I would say that they were "tricked" by the production values/doubled length of the two-parter though.

But I'm starting to realize, I'm starting to sound like the crazy person who likes Nichijou unconditionally. And I'm not even Ultimadrago!

Quasar

I cannot stress enough my love for the Minami-ke series. I truly hope the entirety of the series is licensed and released as I cannot afford the limited Blu-ray boxes for the first three seasons that are currently being sold, nor would I understand the words as there are no subs for those BD sets.

Yeah. I adore the whole thing. I hope we haven't seen the last of it.

iavi

Apart from the Space☆Dandy exhibition, Japan Expo USA had more things like Yoshiyuki Sadamoto and his illustrations (that keeps refusing to acknowledge true American cars even when he tries to), or a battle of artists between Yūsuke Kozaki and Felipe Smith that also made it pretty interesting. Good weekend to be in it for this still nascent event!

For real? :-(

Wait.... Wait. Wait. Wait. KOZAKI WAS AT JAPAN EXPO? JAPAN EXPO IN SAN JOSE? AND I WAS STUCK WORKING?

Worst thing is; I contemplated calling out since I needed to meet Iwadare with a fiery passion, but this has me about 3 seconds from committing seppuku. I had no idea he was there. I think I need to go for a run.

E: AND A SPACE DANDY EXHIBTION?

wow.

Nichibros is just a cheap man's Gintama. Fortunately, a cheap man's Gintama is still super solid.

Haven't watched Nichijou beyond some highlights that people like to post and the first episode.

CorvoSol

Dai-Guard 22

So this was a nice episode, I thought. Ibuki, still reeling from Rika's mind-rape, comes to verbal blows with her family, takes a vacation from work, and rebuffs Akagi on a date. Akagi promises to protect her, and shows he's a stand-up guy by cooling his jets and stepping back and giving her space. Anyway, Ibuki's step-father turns out to be a much better man than the show had originally lead me to believe, expressing concern for Ibuki, and revealing that his stern, austere behavior this whole time was not out of condemnation of her father, but genuine concern for her. He takes her with him as he performs emergency care for people wounded by the Heterodyne, and she finds in him the heroic father that Rika robbed her of by raping her brain. Anyway, this mollification of her relationship with her step-dad is a heart warming moment, and the episode ends with her calling him dad.

The other heart warming moment comes when Ibuki shows up at the scene of the fight, and when Akagi offers her her seat back, she shouts out her concerns. Akagi and Aoyama comfort her, telling her her fears are natural, but that she's a part of their team (and they include the Dai-Guard itself) and say they won't be right without her.

The thing that pissed me off about this episode, though, was that Rika gets literally no comeuppance for, and at the risk of over using this term, raping Ibuki's mind. Domeki forces this image of her dad as an obsessed and callous scientist on Ibuki, and contrives the haziest and flimsiest of evidence to back her point, but spins this web in the dark to a stressed out Ibuki who, already under a ton of pressure, cracks. When Rika is called out on her bullshit by literally everyone else, she Mary Sues the fuck out so they'll all be quiet, then makes her escape. She is never punished, and gets off without learning our having to apologize in the slightest.

So yeah, nerdy scientist chick in this show is a fucking psychopath and I hate her and her doofy voice.

cajunator

Banned
RWBY: 07

Getting interesting, and a nice fight hopefully coming up next episode. Can't wait.

Of course, my post will be ignored because everybody loves to hate on this, leaving those of us who like it and want to watch it to put up with the gang-up "me too" trolling.

Thats not true. Im sure theres more fans of it sweetie.

SAO is offensive and nonsensical. It's only reedming quality is how funny is can be to watch in a group ala MST3000. RWBY is just a bit juvenile and derpy. At least the latter has some likeable characters (Rose and Xiao are kind of adorkable) and won't but you on an FBI watch list.

Speaking of mst3k'ing things, yall have to watch Chaos;Head. One of the very finest comedies.

is that a tsundere comment ?

Are you tsundere for the watamote anime ?

"it's not like i'm watching this anime because i like it or something ...don't get the wrong idea !"

He totally is. The textbook tsundere reaction. Adorable.

I thought that was Sket Dance!

Sket Dance really isn't that similar in style to Gintama. It's more the premise, what with the 3-person helper team, but in high school instead of crazy alien Tokyo.

Nichibros has the same tone and over the top manzai-style gags, but in a different setting. The major difference is the episode structure being based around shorter self-contained stories compared to Gintama's, where the stories can range anywhere from an entire episode to a lengthy arc.

Articalys

Sket Dance really isn't that similar in style to Gintama. It's more the premise, what with the 3-person helper team, but in high school instead of crazy alien Tokyo.

Nichibros has the same tone and over the top manzai-style gags, but in a different setting. The major difference is the episode structure being based around shorter self-contained stories compared to Gintama's, where the stories can range anywhere from an entire episode to a lengthy arc.
And curiously enough, the anime adaptations for all three involve Tomokazu Sugita.

edit: not just only that, but in particular, Sugita as a member of a three-person core group in the show.

This is now officially a goddamn conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom