• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
but Rozen Maiden is at least better material than Sankarea

I REALLY can't agree there unless the rest of the show is dramatically different from anything else in the franchise. These first 3 episodes had very little to do with the rozen maidens, which is why a massive shift in focus is expected from this point on, a focus filled with nonsensical plot developments and annoying dolls.

Shergal

What kind of music do you listen to, out of curiosity?

Mostly jazz and jazz fusion. A lot to prog rock too, but nowadays not as much. I do like "lighter", for lack of a better word, music (I really like Jamiroquai, for example), but J-pop and J-rock just don't jive well with me.

jbug617

Banned
Watching:
Watamote
Kiniro Mosiac
Dog & Scissors
Brothers Conflict
Free!
High School DxD New
Love Lab
Silver Spoon
Servant x Service

Dropped:
Rou Kyuu Bu! SS
Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-bu
Attack on Titan

Hattori

Banned
Genshiken Nidaime 2

Pretty good episode. I'm really starting to like the new characters, especially Yajima. Aside from my problem coping with the new voice actors, it's still a really good show overall.
so cute
オトコダケド
hjQxzrm.png

XSzPK9q.png

krmlozk.png

I REALLY can't agree there unless the rest of the show is dramatically different from anything else in the franchise. These first 3 episodes had very little to do with the rozen maidens, which is why a massive shift in focus is expected from this point on, a focus filled with nonsensical plot developments and annoying dolls.

A nonsensical plot and annoying dolls are still better than creepy ecchi, in my opinion. I'm certainly not saying the Rozen Maiden manga is great or anything, and I'm aware of the issues that could crop up, but I'm hoping that Omata and Mochizuki can continue to improve on the manga and minimize the impact of its problems.

Summer List Wars

Enjoying:

Blood Lad
Free!
GATCHAMAN crowds
Genshiken Fujoishis Generation
Hakkenden S2
Senyuuuu
Servant Service X
UCHOTEN KAZOKU

This Is Pretty Stupid But Not Terrible Enough Yet:

BroCon

Averageeeeeeee:

Danganronpa
Fate Ilya Magical Girl Etc
Neptunia
Makai Ouji
Silver Spoon
Tekyuuuuu
The Adaptation God Can't Do Well

Cringing All the Way Through:

Watamote

12 Minutes of Bordem:

Not Milky Holmes

CorvoSol

Probably would be easier on the eyes to bold the anime titles.

Noted and amended. Thank you for the feedback.

watched pacific rim yet?

Noooo! I'm broke or I would.

I can more or less agree with the placement of everything on your list except for Valvrave.

Fucking love that show, and can't wait for more.

"So Bad it's Good" really only exists for Code Geass R2's sake. Because I can't call it good without feeling ashamed, but it's too fun to really say it is bad. Consider that entire category a limbo of enjoyment I cannot properly place. I keep thinking of changing that category to "beyond description."

No Giant Robo? :(

Only shows I've seen go on the list.

He needs to come up with a ranking above excellent before you can watch it.

Still need to watch things like Diebuster, too.

How I felt during the entire show post Truth.

Corvo's praises for E7 makes me so happy. My favorite anime of all time getting some beloved recognition.

Eureka Seven impresses me because it made me recant all the nasty things I said about it at first. I've never since nor before found a show that was able to make me change my opinion of it for the better halfway through.

I think most people in here likes E7, me included.

'S Good People, then.

Corvo's Mecha anime ranking is pretty on point

Except for his irrational hate of Rahxephon. A show better than most of the stuff he listed.

I reserve the right to disagree about the quality of Rah Xephon, then. It was really dull.

Oh yes. I'm very aware. Just wanted to point out Corvo joining in on the greatness.

Let it never be said that I always go against the grain of taste.

I'm still surprised he hasn't finished it.

I keep thinking about it, but I don't know. On the one hand, it'd be nice to never have to hear people say "Did you finish the series then don't criticize it" again, but on the other, I also enjoy that it being the only show I ever dropped serves as a testament that I still consider it more rank and repulsive than even Sword Art Online.

Though not everybody.

Sad day.

Final Day of Roadtrippin' with Felix. Today's lessons:

1. It's good to be home.
2. Thread title gets a C.
3. COWS

get at me, boys.

I
wholehearted disagree as always with your RahXephon opinion because it's painfully wrong but
hope that you rightfully put Megas XLR upon this this list someday.

Dang I went camping and still placed top 4? Guess I know where I've spent my summer break.

Megas can go on the list when I finish watching it.

As to Rah Xephon, I really wanted to like that show when I started it. The character designs looked nice, and I had just finished E7 so I still trusted Bones. But the show bored me to death, I wasn't at all impressed by the EVA, and the cast ranged from meh to "Oh my God I hate these people so much." The thing that pushed me to drop is was perhaps wrong, especially since I still pushed through the more over version of that in SAO, but again, I'm not exactly game to pick that show up again.

In any case, the considerably shorter not-mecha list will be up in just a bit.

trejo

I liked Garlic Jr... :(

Córtalas.

Manly sengoku era bromance with terrible art & production values courtesy of deen. This is counterbalanced by Imagawa writing.

Actual fun, not "laughing at it because it's bad" fun. It's manly Sengoku-era bromance adapted from a Tetsuo Hara manga. Imagawa's actually on staff too, miracle of miracles.

Sounds promising!

Noooo! I'm broke or I would.

Shame on you. You oughta get your mecha membership revoked.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sounds promising!

Wow, I promise I didn't see Narag's post before typing my own. We used the exact same phrasing to describe the show, hahah.

Anyway, give it at least two episodes! The first is so exceptionally bad from a production standpoint that you'll almost assuredly be dissuaded from continuing in spite of our best encouragement.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 160
Minako best Sailor Senshi.

Didn't feel this episode as much, to be honest. Some very weird transitions all around, as if they were trying to cram a lot of material to the point that they were leaving out the stock footage (except Venus' cause sakuga, I guess). On the other hand
I am starting to see hints at the Amazoness Quartet "redemption" arc. Does this mean "rotating" villains survive while "sequential" ones always die?
:kirbyguy
Only shows I've seen go on the list.
Well, you can accompany me in watching it!

I liked Garlic Jr... :(

Garlic Jr. was awesome in the DBZ: Dead Zone movie! I barely remember his saga though.

---

Watching:
Uchouten Kazoku
Rozen Maiden
Love Lab
Gatchaman Crowds (still need to watch the 2nd episode)
Watamote
Silver Spoon
Servant X Service (I'm probably better off dropping this)
Yami Shibai

Dropped:
C3-bu
Danganronpa
Free!
Blood Lad

trejo

Wow, I promise I didn't see Narag's post before typing my own. We used the exact same phrasing to describe the show, hahah.

Anyway, give it at least two episodes! The first is so exceptionally bad from a production standpoint that you'll almost assuredly be dissuaded from continuing in spite of our best encouragement.

Hey, you know what they say about great minds. I'm sure something similar in concept must apply to the two of you. :p

And I'm a Shaft fan so I wouldn't underestimate my resilience to bad production values.

Sailor Moon Rough 53

This episode was lewd for all the wrong reasons, but hey, enjoy a Golden Shower. Quite frankly, I wasn't expecting to see baby butt and baby cock in my Sailor Moon.

OH! And for an episode where Mercury gets a power up, she certainly got thrown under the bus with the episode primarily focusing on Mamoru and Usagi raising a baby
FORESHADOW
, in where they embraced each other more than they ever had (before finding out their identities).

cajunator

Banned
Hey, you know what they say about great minds. I'm sure something similar in concept must apply to the two of you. :p

And I'm a Shaft fan so I wouldn't underestimate my resilience to bad production values.

I'm a Deen , Gonzo, and Bee Train fan. Come at me bros.

cajunator

Banned
With all the interesting mecha giant robot stuff out there, how come a live action giant robot movie is only just now coming out? Its a huge missed past opportunity.
You would think it would have registered in some directors mind in the past.

cajunator

Banned
No thanks, I'd rather not touch you for fear of catching something.

jk, of course ;)

Its not the most popular of opinions.
I guess they just chose some interesting subject matter for shows that appealed to me so I overlook their flaws.

With all the interesting mecha giant robot stuff out there, how come a live action giant robot movie is only just now coming out? Its a huge missed past opportunity.
You would think it would have registered in some directors mind in the past.

We had Transfor--- yeah I don't know.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
pGloJTQ.jpg

(What does this logo even mean??)

I'll probably repost this later "today", but here is the latest episode of the podcast I am on featuring the sexily sensual svelte voice of zeroshiki.
http://thatothersquadcast.podomatic.com/entry/2013-07-23T20_01_14-07_00

Want to hear me ask zeroshiki important questions such as: "Why do Japanese people buy programs at the movies?" and "How do you even buy movie tickets in Japan?" and "What is it like watching anime at 26:40?".

Oh right! Also, a chat that builds on zeroshiki's post about Kaze Tachinu, even if he is unwilling to spoil the end of the movie for me. :(

Please to enjoy!
(If you want to skip the rambling intro, I believe we start talking about the movie at 29 minutes. lol)

Hattori

Banned
Its not the most popular of opinions.
I guess they just chose some interesting subject matter for shows that appealed to me so I overlook their flaws.

I like them for making NHK, which is one of my favorite animes.
and Rosario Vampire x)

cajunator

Banned
I like them for making NHK, which is one of my favorite animes.
and Rosario Vampire x)

Yeah NHK is one and I also really liked Chrono Crusade and Kiddy Grade from Gonzo.
Rosario Vampire is the epitome of stupid haremshit but its fun. Mizore is a goddess.

Yeah NHK is one and I also really liked Chrono Crusade and Kiddy Grade from Gonzo.
Rosario Vampire is the epitome of stupid haremshit but its fun. Mizore is a goddess.

Just knowing what the manga is like makes me sour on the adaptation. Even if it became heavily battle shonen over time, it wasn't as showy as the adaptation.

Acosta

List wars? Ok!

God Tier

Uchoten Kazoku

Really Like

Love Lab
Il sole penetra le illusioni (yes, I write it like that because it sounds cool

Dropped
Dogs and scissors
Blood Lad

Interested but pending

Gatchaman
Sunday without God
Kanetsugu to Keiji
Watamote
Rozen Maiden
Gargantia (yes, I'm late, sue me)

Ongoing

Hunter X Hunter (Awesome)
Full Metal Brotherhood (Awesome x2)
Slayers (Fun)
One Piece (Slooooooooooooooooooooww)
Attack on Titan (Weird but still interesting to me).

Things I want to finish

Yuyushiki

zeroshiki

pGloJTQ.jpg

(What does this logo even mean??)

I'll probably repost this later "today", but here is the latest episode of the podcast I am on featuring the sexily sensual svelte voice of zeroshiki.
http://thatothersquadcast.podomatic.com/entry/2013-07-23T20_01_14-07_00

Want to hear me ask zeroshiki important questions such as: "Why do Japanese people buy programs at the movies?" and "How do you even buy movie tickets in Japan?" and "What is it like watching anime at 26:40?".

Oh right! Also, a chat that builds on zeroshiki's post about Kaze Tachinu, even if he is unwilling to spoil the end of the movie for me. :(

Please to enjoy!
(If you want to skip the rambling intro, I believe we start talking about the movie at 29 minutes. lol)

3 hours :lol

CorvoSol

Excellent

The Count of Mecha Cristo
- It's Literature, Bitch! Gankutsuou, the Count of Monte Cristo, is a visually stimulating adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' classic. Set in the year 5053 or something like that, the story is an interesting take, casting the Count not as the protagonist, but rather the central antagonist. There are a few missteps here and there, but for the most part it is a solid and riveting tale.

GTO- The tale of a chivalrous pervert who also happens to be a middle school teacher and former gang member, Eikichi Onizuka (age 22) is a golden hearted guy whose uncanny and unusual efforts to reform a class with more than the average number or intensity of problems provide a useful blend of comedy and heart warming moments. Definitely a classic.

Azumanga Daioh- I first saw Azumanga when I was a senior in high school and while the show is about girls, it still resonated with me a good deal. Considered the very first of the "Cute girls doing cute things" shows, Azumanga Daioh treats viewers to a growing up story that isn't riven with angst or petty teenage drama. Chiho Mihama and her friends are the most (and least) normal girls in anime, in that sense.

Slayers NEXT
- The second season of the Slayers anime is by far the best. Following the adventures of Lina Inverse, Sorceress (and loudmouth) supreme and her less than bright bruiser swordsman, Gourry. The basic idea is that someone has put a bounty out on Lina's head, and that the plot behind that will involve the entire world.

Cowboy Bebop- If you haven't heard of Cowboy Bebop, it's a stylish, super-cool space punk anime. Just watch it.

Bunny Drop- A charming story of a 30 year old everyman who one day inherits something unexpected: his grandfather's illegitimate daughter. His family shirking her, Daikichi takes young Rin in and learns about the joys and pains of fatherhood. A really good story, but be forewarned: you should not look up spoilers from the manga until you have finished the animated series.

Revolutionary Girl Utena- Utena is an excellent series about girls and friendship and like, roses and sexy, sexy automobiles. It's a bit too symbolic at times, but don't let that distract you. Consider the rampant symbolism the flashing lights on a very, very fun rollercoaster and enjoy the talking with your friends about how crazy it was after you get off. In spite of some stock footage, Utena is still a visually stimulating and well crafted show.

Very Good

Puella Magi Madoka Magica- I cannot tell you like, anything about this show without spoiling basically everything about it. I will say, though, that whether you are or are not a fan of Magical Girl shows, Madoka is an excellent show to watch, and that it has a great art style and some unexpectedly awesome action sequences.

Slayers TRY- Not as good as Slayers NEXT, TRY is still a fun romp through the Slayers world, and does a nice job of exploring the ramifications of a universe in which Dark is not all bad and Good is sort of a jerk sometimes. The one downside of the show is that at times it feels more like Lina and company are along for the ride, and the star is really Fillia.

High School of the Dead
- You ought to watch this show if only to see whence all the .gifs originated. HSotD is a pretty good popcorn zombie story. And emphasis on popcorn. Just as with any zombie story, if you spend too much time thinking about it, it falls apart. Still, its a fun show that also enjoys switching between fan service and disservice at the drop of a hat.

Record of Lodoss War- The template Fantasy Anime, Record of Lodoss is a sort of really detailed, straightforward show with lot of fantasy gore, D&D mechanics, and one or two shots you may have seen elsewhere (Deedlit makes a face which Emi of Maou-Sama fame replicates). It's good as long as you don't expect it to be anything more than the story of a fantasy dude on a fantasy quest to save a fantasy world.

SCryEd- It's a Hirai show that's actually good! SCryEd is about people with wacky super powers stuck on an island that broke off the Japanese mainland. As our hotblooded, jerkass Shining Finger wielding hero faces off against the pretty boy government employee and his pet Mewtwo, the show provides some fun fights.

Good

Slayers- The beginning of the best fantasy anime series ever, all about young Lina Inverse and her quest to save the world from the Dark Lord Shabranigdo and later the Demon Beast Jennifer!

Dragon Ball Z (Until Buu and then f the show)- It's Dragon Ball Z. You should've watched it when you were like, 11.

Final Fantasy Unlimited- Not much like the Final Fantasy series proper, Unlimited follows an unlikely party of people from various dimensions as they try to save said dimensions from the predictably evil Earl Tyrant and his demon generals. Some sick fights, crummy CGI summons, and the most :cajun Chocobo ever.

Kiddy Grade- Though the victim of wideface and frequent upskirts, Kiddy Grade is actually a really good spec fiction space opera that devotes significant amounts of its time to examining not only post-humanism, but also the negative aspects of immortality. The OP is catchy as heck, too. EVERY PLANET HAS A TWIIIIIIINKLE.

Neutral

Smile Precure 35- Yayoi is adorable and that giant robot fight was a lot of fun. I'm putting this as neutral 'cuz one episode doesn't really dictate a series.

Bad

Attack on Titan
- Originally a very good show about a post-apocalyptic medieval world in which humanity struggled to fight back against eldritch abominations known as Titans, Attack on Titan quickly became bogged down with terrible pacing issues, the likes of which it remains to be seen if it will recover or not.

Horrible

Sword Art Online- For a solid fourteen episodes this show is a perfectly fine, if stupid, male fantasy with Asuna as a good waifu. From the fifteenth episode until the series finale, though, the show is plagued by the introduction of one of my least favorite characters in anime, pandering to fetishes of the most unappealing caliber, the praising of mass murderers, and some generally terrible writing/poor decisions by the writer. If you do watch this show, skip from episode 14 to episode 25. Cuz everything in between is really, really bad.

So Bad It’s Good

Musashi GunDoh- You have to see this show to believe it. It's all about this guy named Musashi and how he uses guns to fight demons and how history has been distorted. The premise of the show isn't bad, but like, everything else is amazing.

Garzey’s Wing
- Do you have a thing for fairies? You won't after this! You WILL know why you wake up covered in bruises, though.
From fighting naked, of course!

Sailor Moon Rough 54

fnJ36AS.jpg

I think I spot a little something something here.

Rei wrote lyrics not just to promote herself at the culture fest, but to promote new products on top of pushing the UsagixRei boat. This would be much easier to do in Precure since we already know that Usagi has to be with Mammeries.

Rei also gets her upgrade. I think that's everyone that was upgraded... except Jupiter maybe? Naah, she was. Or not, who knows. Bleh.

Seriously you two, go squish squash already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom