• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Sentai is bringing their own brand of door hangers to Anime Expo:
Vi96esZ.jpg
8dprh5c.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'll never understand your love for such an insipid pile of trash series but you have a right to enjoy (that insipid pile of trash series)

At this point I'm sure he enjoys watching our reactions to SAO images/stuff than the show itself.

I get like that sometimes, like when I posted that Kirino-helmet train commercial thing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
At this point I'm sure he enjoys watching our reactions to SAO images/stuff than the show itself.

I get like that sometimes, like when I posted that Kirino-helmet train commercial thing.

Uh.... I definitely like the show. I've rewatched it around 4 times. That's also not including certain episodes which I've rewatched more than that.

zeroshiki

They have their own words for work. They just adopted the German word to mean "part-time work" specifically. Because I-don't-even-know-why.

They have alot of this. Most of the time its in English but sometimes not. The word for stapler is German or Dutch or something.

I don't have many visitors, if any, for me, so it's not like I really care much about the state of my room. I'm usually the visitor, not the visitee.

Syrinx

Even if somebody else came into my/my brother's room, it wouldn't be special or anything. I really don't have any special decorations in it. Just a Red Sox framed picture thing that my brother has. I wouldn't have liberty to fill it with anime shit even if I wanted to.

Narag

Samurai Deeper Kyo 4

Never realized Koyasu was Hattori Hanzo in this. This ep has my favorite little character moment from this show. Everyone's scared shitless of Demon Eyes Kyo. Well, everyone except Yukimura Sanada.
When Kyo goes to draw his sword, Yukimura effortlessly pushes back on bottom of the sheath so he can't draw at all and gives Kyo this shit eating grin.

cajunator

Banned
I think that Rikka is disturbed enough already without anyone else's help.

Cant wait for the Kyoani figure to come in. Hopefully they make a nice magic circle base for it or something.

I don't have many visitors, if any, for me, so it's not like I really care much about the state of my room. I'm usually the visitor, not the visitee.

same here. I lord over my little castle but I like to visit others.

lol why was he in your room?

His motorcycle threw a chain and all kind of other damaging shit. Hes staying at our place a while. So hes welcome to come in my room and borrow anime to watch in the living room.
He saw the figurines and pretty much did the otaku squee thing.

Syrinx

His motorcycle threw a chain and all kind of other damaging shit. Hes staying at our place a while. So hes welcome to come in my room and borrow anime to watch in the living room.
He saw the figurines and pretty much did the otaku squee thing.

Do you know this guy? Or did you and your roommates just take him in?

cajunator

Banned
Even if somebody else came into my/my brother's room, it wouldn't be special or anything. I really don't have any special decorations in it. Just a Red Sox framed picture thing that my brother has. I wouldn't have liberty to fill it with anime shit even if I wanted to.

My room has a lot of NFL football stuff in it too so it confuses people. I suppose it ruins the illusion a bit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
"Arbeit"? Did Japan really not have their own word for work before interaction with the Dutch?
"Arubaito" means a part-time job. Japanese certainly already had words for other forms of employment.

These fetch quest episodes in the world of witches are all pretty boring.
*Doremi pout* I thought they were fun. It's more about the people taking the tests than the tests themselves, although I suppose being able to fall back on character antics is common to all episodes.

cajunator

Banned
"Arubaito" means a part-time job. Japanese certainly already had words for other forms of employment.

*Doremi pout* I thought they were fun. It's more about the people taking the tests than the tests themselves, although I suppose being able to fall back on character antics is common to all episodes.

Do freederts actually exist like Kintaro in Goldenboy?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

They just feel like wacky obstacle course episodes in disguise to me, and those were among my least-favorite episodes of Sailor Moon, Ranma, and wherever else they've appeared as gimmick filler.

I'll never understand your love for such an insipid pile of trash series but you have a right to enjoy (that insipid pile of trash series)

Hey, I enjoyed it! I thought it was awful at points, but I enjoyed it!

Well Attack on Titan is still ongoing, and I guess DokiDoki Precure counts too but ECK

Dokidoki is good! The only problem I see with the show is that they completely under utilize Alice, but other than that, I don't see the problem?

cnet128

Banned
They have alot of this. Most of the time its in English but sometimes not. The word for stapler is German or Dutch or something.

Actually, they call staplers "Hotchkiss", which apparently comes from the name of the American manufacturer of the first staplers ever imported to Japan.

But yeah, Japanese loves its katakana loanwords. Half the time they don't mean the same thing as they did in the original languages at all. That is, when they even existed in the original languages and Japan didn't just invent them wholesale.

Dokidoki is good! The only problem I see with the show is that they completely under utilize Alice, but other than that, I don't see the problem?

I feel like everyone that isn't Mana is underutilized. I still don't understand why they're even there when Cure Heart gets the attention, hell, even the kills. I rarely feel like that compared to the other seasons. Alice definitely is the least utilized, with Makopi having a bit more because she's tied into the plot,
but even Yuri was more relevent to the plot despite only fighting for the last quarter of the show
. And the constant showing on just how "awesome" Cure Heart is.... Kinda wish it was spread out more.

Probably doesn't help that the villian cast isn't that great, especially since Regina eclipsed them just by existing.

But yeah, Japanese loves its katakana loanwords. Half the time they don't mean the same thing as they did in the original languages at all. That is, when they even existed in the original languages and Japan didn't just invent them wholesale.

As an example: chance. In English, we use it to refer to luck. The outcome can either be bad or good. However, in Japanese "chansu" is used to refer to a situation or outcome that is always positive. It's similar to how we would use "Now's my chance" or something similar in English.

Detective Conan 226:
Finally, it's Jodie's first appearance. But my excitement has been subdued some, because they couldn't bother to get a voice actress who can actually speak English. I don't really think this would have been impossible for them. The scene where she's trying to correct Megure's pronunciation makes no sense in the anime, because she's pronouncing the sound just as bad as he is. She really doesn't fit my image of Jodie.

Still, I'm happy to finally get to her introduction and be really moving into this point in the storyline. It's a solid intro, and there are some great comedic moments, with Conan having some great reactions to Sonoko and Jodie. Jodie's obsessive gaming is also pretty funny.

cnet128

Banned
As an example: chance. In English, we use it to refer to luck. The outcome can either be bad or good. However, in Japanese "chansu" is used to refer to a situation or outcome that is always positive. It's similar to how we would use "Now's my chance" or something similar in English.

I prefer "tension". In English, we usually use "tension" to refer to a general negative atmosphere. In Japanese, it refers to excitement, or positive feeling in general. Way to use our word to mean the opposite thing, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom