• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Speaking of witch ( LN sales ) , why isn't there more haruhi suzumiya being produced ? i was under the impression that this franchise printed money .so why isn't there more seasons ?
I actually totally posted about this in the last thread, but no one seemed to have noticed. I'll repost it here.

---------------------------------

By the way, speaking of new season announcements, ultimatemegax recently wrote up a short piece explaining why a third season of Haruhi hasn't shown up and still won't be in the cards for a long time to come (long story short, it's because Nagaru Tanigawa isn't producing a steady stream of content to promote, though KyoAni's changes are a smaller factor as well).

http://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/the-reasoning-behind-a-lack-of-haruhi-s3/

edit: OH COME ON WHAT THE HELL -- ah, fuck it.

I actually totally posted about this in the last thread, but no one seemed to have noticed. I'll repost it here.

By the way, speaking of new season announcements, ultimatemegax recently wrote up a short piece explaining why a third season of Haruhi hasn't shown up and still won't be in the cards for a long time to come (long story short, it's because Nagaru Tanigawa isn't producing a steady stream of content to promote, though KyoAni's changes are a smaller factor as well).

http://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/the-reasoning-behind-a-lack-of-haruhi-s3/

I read it, well I read it off of twitter before I saw it here, I just never commented about it, probably because you posted it while I was sleeping.

Kino's Journey 2

At first I thought the tales from these first two episodes conflicted with the line "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" because of the ugliness in humanity Kino and Hermes encountered. I thought that Kino was above it all in the way she rationalized hunting for self-preservation and assisting the helpless out of empathy. I thought this was only reinforced when the men
attempted to capture her
. But ironically, after discovering the men's
moment of cannibalism, another inhumane practice mind you,
I realized that it actually leveled them somewhat with Kino.
It was an act of self-preservation, regardless of the fact that it was at the cost of another human life. Kino killed them for her own preservation
, and prior to all of this she put forward the notion that a life, whether human or animal, holds the same inherent value. And the closing narration only serves to drive this all home. So to connect it to that quote, there is an acceptance of human nature, all of it. And I'm starting to believe that there will be something interconnected between each of Kino's tales which will show an inherent beauty. In this episode, that beauty was found in Kino's
reaction after killing those men. Her emotional outburst of fear was something new for me, and I immediately gravitated toward it. It was a cathartic moment for both of us.

I also wanted to touch on something I noticed in the first episode but really didn't feel like it came full circle until the the end of this episode. And that's magical realism. From my experience, I've never seen it in an anime. But I feel like this is the closest I've ever come to it. Normally, worlds provide an explanation for the natural laws which govern them. A set of rules like the Law of Equivalent Exchange in Fullmetal Alchemist. But there is no explanation in Kino's Journey. Things just are. Hermes is a talking machine.
A woman's spirit was seen leaving the slave traders' truck
. There is nothing which ignores or denies their existence. Two episodes in and there's already a wealth of things to pick apart. I'm very much looking forward to the next episode of their journey.

The story centers around Kanade Amakusa, a boy cursed with the mental power of "absolute multiple-choice" — a multiple-choice quiz will suddenly appear in his mind, and the choice he makes will become his reality. For example, he would have to choose between going nude from the waist up or the waist down in school. While in school, he is given another choice: 1) A beautiful girl will fall before him or 2) he will fall from the rooftop in female clothes. He chooses option 1, and a blonde girl named Chocolat falls before him.

Yeah but what if some other guy had the same choice and chose option 2 and this exact guy is the "girl" with a tiny hat that falls before him?

:shyamalan would watch

edit: OH COME ON WHAT THE HELL -- ah, fuck it.

I usually try to read everything posted in the threads but sometimesi miss some info.

Shame on me.

Anyway , i understand the logic and it's true that vol 10 took a long time to arrive ( i only read it few months ago )

Chronoexe

Aiura -12

I want moooooooooooooooooore.

It was short but I loved the character design and I liked the little interaction of the 3 girls.

This needs a season with episodes of 30 minutes.

And as always the rankings:

Kanakana =Ayukong=Saki

tc3ET4R.jpg

Speaking of witch ( LN sales ) , why isn't there more haruhi suzumiya being produced ? i was under the impression that this franchise printed money .so why isn't there more seasons ?

Well, there was that four year hiatus between the ninth and tenth/eleventh LNs, but I have not heard anything about there not being more LNs or anime in the future.

The translated LN for the ninth volume by Yen Press just came out the the tenth/eleventh LNs are being combined into one omnibus later in November. Really hoping to here more about the Haruhi Suzumiya series continuing.

Mandoric

Banned
That looks awful. What happened, Brains Base?

It looks like what happens when the color director likes JoJo but doesn't really understand why JoJo worked (or more likely, does understand but can't make it fit with the material/get the animation contractors to play along.)

Tenumi

Banned
We're allowed to post pantyshots, right? I sure hope so, because...

Motto To Love-ru: 01

Two NSFW Images hidden, you know the drill to see them.

I've been waiting for the right time to start this, and finally got around to it. First thing I gotta say, I miss the OVA opening. I'm not really feeling either opening or ending for this one. The series itself is what I'd expect of To Love-ru, which is lots and lots of humorous ecchi situations.

Highlight of the episode:
Mikan's booty :)

wonzo

Banned
Honestly, the colour pallet in Blood Lad meshes perfectly with the volume covers and the colour pages I've seen of it so I don't really mind it that much.

We're allowed to post pantyshots, right? I sure hope so, because...

Motto To Love-ru: 01

Two NSFW Images hidden, you know the drill to see them.

I've been waiting for the right time to start this, and finally got around to it. First thing I gotta say, I miss the OVA opening. I'm not really feeling either opening or ending for this one. The series itself is what I'd expect of To Love-ru, which is lots and lots of humorous ecchi situations.

Highlight of the episode:
Mikan's booty :)

Are they both supposed to be the same image?

I love Motto.

Mandoric

Banned
I loved Genshiken and completely forgot the manga-ka made a sequel series lol.

Does Madarame/original members appear at all?

Ogiue, Madarame, Kanako, Kuchiki, and Saki are back in what appear to be major roles. Sadly, they're all recast. No more Gai Shishioh/Shiro Amada as Madarame. :|

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 1

So yeah, the facial expressions are very impressive, but I don't know what I can say about them that hasn't already been said multiple times.

Doremi, girl, what were you thinking? Igarashi is a soccer player; he knows how to handle that ball. What the hell are ya doing moving him out of the way so the opponent has a wide open net? And then you got wanged in the face later. Maybe you shouldn't be stopping time so much.

Doremi's mom is scary.

Yuyushiki 12 END

Man.... this really feels like a terrible time to end this. It doesn't help that it bombed in DVD sales. We're in the middle of the second year, with a summer episode. It feels rather abrupt, and wasn't some grand finale. It's weird.

Because they failed to sell DVDs to all the otaku, who somehow have the money to buy all of this stuff, these girls will never graduate from high school, they'll be considered failures in society, and worse. This was a tragic ending to a show that was good, pure, and educational but still humorous. It can't end like this... BUT IN THE END, IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY

Mature

Omigosh that was a loooot of pages.

Detective Conan 226:
Finally, it's Jodie's first appearance. But my excitement has been subdued some, because they couldn't bother to get a voice actress who can actually speak English. I don't really think this would have been impossible for them. The scene where she's trying to correct Megure's pronunciation makes no sense in the anime, because she's pronouncing the sound just as bad as he is. She really doesn't fit my image of Jodie.

Still, I'm happy to finally get to her introduction and be really moving into this point in the storyline. It's a solid intro, and there are some great comedic moments, with Conan having some great reactions to Sonoko and Jodie. Jodie's obsessive gaming is also pretty funny.
I had the same reaction. Honestly, it probably damaged my view of the character a bit, which is unfortunate. It's not that I dislike her or anything, but I can see her being better in your head reading through the manga.

You've got some fantastic episodes coming up!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Le Chevalier D'Eon 2

As I've been thinking about it, I've forgotten most of the big plot points and character relationships, so this is almost like watching it for the first time.

Also, we get our first listen to the show's OP. It's okay.

So after an episode of introducing characters and relationships, were jumping back into this mystery. But from now on, D'Eon is without his secret police crew, having to
put down his buddy himself (or rather herself after he reveals his ultimate form is basically being a vessel for his sister's wandering soul, I guess) after he becomes a mercury powered zombie thing. I guess.
Strange that
she, a dead noblewoman in her brother's body, is a more skilled sword fighter than her brother a (presumably) trained knight.
This swordplay is really cool to watch though.

So we got this one kid watching from one side and another guy watching from the other. Hold on there, I.G. Don't foreshadow shit too heavy handedly now. I know that you've basically shown us in the first episode that this a conspiracy that seems to permeate somehow right up to the King Louis XV and Queen Marie, just not how, but you're dancing a fine line.

So now is D'Eon not only alone
but he's being framed for the murder of his crew.
Now he's really in deep.
Oh shit, that mark.
Shit is really coming for him. And apparently this kid following D'Eon (Robin) not only is packing heat in the form of small flintlock pistol but favors a small dagger. Wow, really threatening. Okay, you stupid guards stared down the barrel of that pistol for like 5 years before he shot. smfh.

But hey we get a new main character: Mr. Sword-and-dagger-dual-wield man! (aka Durand). But what his interest in D'Eon, his knowledge of
Lia
and how he found D'Eon so easily is rather...alarming. Why is D'Eon just doesn't press him on it right away is beyond me. He's rather charming but D'Eon, Mr. Jaded troubled cop, trust him way to easily. But I guess he's really out of options.

Shit that mark on Durand's watch...he really is in deep in this.

Oh and new main character #3 rounds out the crew: Old Badass Dude (aka Teillagory). This dude is just straight up cool. I think D'Eon can trust him a little more than Durand, but again I don't think D'Eon has a lot of options right now. I mean he's basically got
royalty bearing down on him with magic and conspiracies and shit. But why him? Is Lia the reason? What did she know?
Oh wait,
D'Eon actually knows Teillagory? Interesting!

Oh and if the title of the episode didn't give it away: D'Eon can't handle this conspiracy alone. And he doesn't have his secret police knight buddies anymore because...well they're kinda dead. So he needs a new team, and, this being France and all, they of course are going to be
The Three Four Musketeers!

Ah yeah, more zombies out of nowhere. This time it's women with halberd! Oh yeah, let's do this. Oh and with the majority of this mercury-filled zombies ("Gargoyles") that we've seen so far being young women I'm already calling that
Anna is totally gonna become one at some point.

Again, this ED it really cool. I really dig it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi 1

So yeah, the facial expressions are very impressive, but I don't know what I can say about them that hasn't already been said multiple times.
Haha, there comes a point when "this show is awesome" becomes understood in your posts.

Crocodile

Does animation consistency and not having a loser lead matter to you?

If either of those are yes, then no don't watch it and just read the manga. If the answer is no then by all means. I think some people around here enjoyed it.

Why does the Japanese populace eat this shit up? Its so annoying. I've never understood the act of trying to self-insert yourself in a world or character. I don't want a character so bland I can swap them with myself in my head, I have too much self respect for that. I want to watch awesome people be awesome (vague I know but still) not someone be a wet noodle.

Big O 5 Dub

Probably one of the few episodes where the Giant Robot fight at the end didn't feel like it came out of nowhere as it was foreshadowed at the beginning. Great vignette episode not adding much to the main story line but doing a good job of expanding the world.

Aiura -12

I want moooooooooooooooooore.

It was short but I loved the character design and I liked the little interaction of the 3 girls.

This needs a season with episodes of 30 minutes.

And as always the rankings:

Kanakana =Ayukong=Saki

you know, I don't think i've got any of the casts names in this show lol, but go girl that i always avatar.

iEHqFiFktnRqk.gif

that bounce.

Branduil

Honestly, the colour pallet in Blood Lad meshes perfectly with the volume covers and the colour pages I've seen of it so I don't really mind it that much.

I don't know anything about the manga and I don't really care for it to be accurate to the volume covers if the volume covers are ugly.

zeroshiki

Why does the Japanese populace eat this shit up? Its so annoying. I've never understood the act of trying to self-insert yourself in a world or character. I don't want a character so bland I can swap them with myself in my head, I have too much self respect for that. I want to watch awesome people be awesome (vague I know but still) not someone be a wet noodle.

Its not a Japanese thing. Its a poor and unimaginative writing thing. Twilight is basically a self-insert novel and the world ate that up.

Also, people being awesome is another facet of self-insert. They're generically awesome like Kirito.

I like the style of it. It's different yet at the same time decently subtle enough to not really bother me.

Hentai ouji - 11

This episode was full of cute that would make cajun go into heart attack ...
BUT what the heck was this story ?

WHAT
THE HECK
?

Why does a serie called "hentai ouji " as such a awesome delivery in term of story ?

10/10 can't wait for ep 12

Omigosh that was a loooot of pages.

I had the same reaction. Honestly, it probably damaged my view of the character a bit, which is unfortunate. It's not that I dislike her or anything, but I can see her being better in your head reading through the manga.

You've got some fantastic episodes coming up!

I know. This has been the period I've been looking forward to since I started going through the anime again in earnest last year. It's the period when I was reading the manga that the series went from something I really enjoyed, to being out of this world good. It's a run in the story which has a really oppressive atmosphere and that I'm looking forward to seeing translated into the anime.

Plus, I'm now only a couple of episodes away from my favorite character showing up.

Branduil

Eden of the East 02 Melancholy Monday

The relationship between Saki and Akira seems good, although I have no idea why she isn't the least bit curious or inquisitive about the fact that he apparently has the incredibly rare total retrograde amnesia despite having no injury.

Well, it's not rare in Anime-land.

Ultimadrago

Big O 5 Dub

Probably one of the few episodes where the Giant Robot fight at the end didn't feel like it came out of nowhere as it was foreshadowed at the beginning. Great vignette episode not adding much to the main story line but doing a good job of expanding the world.

I'm not a fan of Big O, but I at least recall liking this episode.

What? No, I'm just laughing at the fact that I have terrible timing yet again, and reconciling that it's not really something to further concern myself with.

It just happens sometimes.

Branduil

I always think it's interesting that the first instance of "uguu~" (namely, Kanon's Ayu) was noted to be infantile and silly in-universe. That aspect somehow got lost in its memetic spread. It's meant to be ridiculous.

Just because you know it's ridiculous doesn't inherently justify doing it. This is a big problem with anime as whole.

Branduil

Duckroll posted it in the previous thread, but I thought the animated segments on Mitsuyo Miyazaki's A Better Tomorrow were pretty good. It has a hell of a line-up, with Bahi JD, Atsuko Fukushima, Satoru Utsunomiya, Jamie Vickers, Yasuhiro Aoki and even Morimoto himself doing key animation.

The short itself didn't strike me as particularly interesting, especially because I was expecting something a bit more contemplative and subdued after the initial minutes. But at least it had some neat sakuga. Here is Bahi's work on the short. Have a gif.
tumblr_moyl0dMDbO1qanw3wo2_r1_400.gif

It's like someone threw some crap on the Mona Lisa, the crap in this metaphor being the CG car.

I think it works damn well considering the tone of the manga. It's just a straight-up fun battle seinen, not some grimdark vampire series. Colorful works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom