• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

And so another major U.S. convention goes by with Hyouka remaining unlicensed. The wait continues.

Next up: Otakon, August 9-11.

------------------------------------------------

So, which company had the most favorable AX announcements for you?

Venfayth

Let's get the ball rolling.

5olt4ya.png

Aku No Hana 4

The OP had some interesting dissonances in it, and the vocals were really guttural and emotional. It felt very raw, and creates a nice parallel with what the show is doing thematically.

Lots of twists for Kasuga today. Nakamura's screams and brute emotional displays near the end of this ep really captivated me. She's done a great job of controlling him. I'm curious to see if Kasuga ever rises above her influence, and if so, what kind of effect is has on her.

Theonik

Amazingly, Kiniro Mosaic isn't even the most egregious example this season. Just in case anyone didn't see the link in my Genei o Kakeru Taiyou review yesterday, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN ADULT:

http://i.imgur.com/1IGb51rl.jpg

PREGNANT LOLIS

ANIME IS OVER
OreimoPSPGame.jpg

I see a hilarious mistake here too!

Anyway looks like Summer won't be the Season of Backlogs after all.
I knew that square bracket was important...

But lolis don't have breasts! It's clear that the creators were inspired by Harvest Moon to try something similar.
Time to storm the Breastille I think.

Lolis can't get pregnant either.

no doujin counterexamples plz
How about real world then? *Wiki but NSFW probably*

Oh yeah, I was totally going to mention that in my impressions for this episode but I forgot XD
There were other gems too but I found this had the funniest reciprocations.
Edit:
That's not a field I want to look in personally.
Me neither. I blame GAF for that piece of knowledge above.

And so another major U.S. convention goes by with Hyouka remaining unlicensed. The wait continues.

This year, NISA stole the show. Aksys had the most hopes and dreams crushing one. Namco was a pleasant one too.

Sentai licensing everything under the sun is boring as usual, Funi at least got stuff I'll probably buy in the far future (when they actually release it) and nice to see NISA license a currently airing anime as well.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA 1:

It's fair to say that this first episode exceeded all expectations I could have had for it.

This is going to be a great Summer season.

Viz for the K event and dub and Blood Lad..and Aniplex for Magi and the Aniplex's guys most on point presentation yet...confident...no verbal mistakes, etc.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
HIghschool DxD New 01
Shameless but still somehow kinda boring. Just too by the books.

• Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya 01
Walk, don't run!

Hey it's "People die if they are killed" Shirou Emiya. I can excuse his existence if Saber shows up at some point.

wahaha engrish at the airport. Being meguca is suffering, amirite

This is pretty bizarre not having watched all of Fate/stay night. Should I know these people? And their history?
and their bullshit?

aww yiss flying fight sequences. This is what I was waiting for! -- CG staves. well thennnn...

and here's our obligatory bath scene. OH GAHHH SHIROU PLEASE LEAVE THIS SHOW FOREVER

Illya's just seen Madoka, is all.

SISCON NOOOOOoooooo

didn't finish this because someone came in to talk to me, will finish later. when I've recovered.

cajunator

Banned
Uchouten Kazoku 1

Pros of this show:
- Great OP and ED
- Really quirky and unique
- Tanuki! And tengu!
- In Kyoto! Kyoto is like my favourite city in the world.
- Main character is male but decides to take the form of a cute girl because dude, if you can shapeshift, why would you NOT become a cute girl. I can definitely get behind this logic.
- Oh my god people fly in this show and it looks amazing. Why do I not have tengu powers.
- Motto of the show seems to be basically "enjoy life". APPROVED.

Cons of this show:
- Dude, if you're going to become a cute girl, change your voice too. Cute girls should not be voiced by Sakurai Takahiro.
- NO SERIOUSLY GUYS WHY DO I NOT HAVE TENGU POWERS
- I WOULD ALSO SETTLE FOR TANUKI POWERS, WHY DO I NOT HAVE EITHER OF THESE

This sounds interest and relevant to me. I dont remember this show being annojnced specifically but if its cute Im there!

Hyouka sucks. Not surprised that nobody wants it.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA 1:

It's fair to say that this first episode exceeded all expectations I could have had for it.

This is going to be a great Summer season.

Do you like this art style? Its just odd looking to me.

• Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya 01
Walk, don't run!

Hey it's "We die if we are killed" Shirou Emiya. I can excuse his existence if Saber shows up at some point.

wahaha engrish at the airport. Being meguca is suffering, amirite

This is pretty bizarre not having watched all of Fate/stay night. Should I know these people? And their history?
and their bullshit?

aww yiss flying fight sequences. This is what I was waiting for! -- CG staves. well thennnn...

and here's our obligatory bath scene. OH GAHHH SHIROU PLEASE LEAVE THIS SHOW FOREVER

Illya's just seen Madoka, is all.

SISCON NOOOOOoooooo

didn't finish this because someone came in to talk to me, will finish later. when I've recovered.

Shirou is at best a minor character in this show. Most of his appearances are little more than cameos, thank God. Saber will appear in this show. To say more than that is spoilers.

It helps if you have have watched or read Fate/Stay night because the show assumes familiarity with the characters as it's an alternate-universe spinoff. Several characters are actually from Fate/Hollow ataraxia and I wasn't familiar with them at all. But it's not mandatory, exactly.

That bathroom sequence is amusing if you're read the manga. They did not make any attempt at all to tone down the loli fanservice, if for no other reason than to sell more BDs I guess!

Do you like this art style? Its just odd looking to me.

Read my post in the KeionGAF thread, i addressed this and other things in greater detail there.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon Stars 173:

oh fuck that
ring
is a
death flag
isn't it. Somehow, I don't think that
Mamoru getting his star seed stolen or whatever
counts, either. Like, I don't see how the show could even pull something like that considering how much fuss was just made about
Chibiusa vanishing from the timeline if Mamoru bites it
, but I still have a really terrible feeling. I hope it's unfounded.

Cool, a jazzy version of the Eternal Sailor Moon theme for the regular MotW episodes.

And good grief some of these new attack names.

SERIOUS LASER.

STARLIGHT HONEYMOON THERAPY KISS. wtf

So, the Starlights are just Mamoru stand-ins? I suppose I'd be entirely okay with that if not for the fact that I find their costumes incredibly agreeable. The character field is already pretty packed as it is (unless the outer senshi are just straight up gone again) so I can't imagine how all of these characters get in a word edgewise in each battle unless the show shakes things up and allows things to happen with some characters absent in any given episode.

Evil sailor senshi? With non-planetary names? Please don't run the concept into the ground, Toei :(

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi 1

All my family is dead.

So we have a long haired Sakura Kinimoto who gets screwed over in every possible way, because God hates her and everyone just wants to mess with a 12 year old girl's mind.

Seems perfect for people who don't like lolis.

faridmon

Just marathoned Gargantia. not gonna do a detailed review, because I feel lazy, but what a bloody great show that was. Very cleverly paced and delivered. It had such a strong massage as well as serifs plot set in a fully realised world and atmosphere. Some of the characteristic and the writing could have done better, but overall, it was a strong show that fully comprehended what it was going to do and did it well. I like the fact that the story has a beginning and an end to it. The full use of colour and angles was appropriately pretty as well as some of the animation. The soundtrack totally fit the mood as well. Some of those special effects needs a mention as well

8/10

wonzo

Banned
Teekyu 13

tkyuu13.jpg

It's good to see the queen of hort shows back in full force. MAPPA da flash gawds.

:eek:

LQ, blurry, shakycam footage of the Gatchaman Crowds OP from Japan Expo:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzepAHaVUE4
:eek:ooooooo

Amazingly, Kiniro Mosaic isn't even the most egregious example this season. Just in case anyone didn't see the link in my Genei o Kakeru Taiyou review yesterday, THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN ADULT:

1IGb51rl.jpg

PREGNANT LOLIS

ANIME IS OVER
i wonder if super deformed pregnant women have super deformed babies

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Granted, monsters of the week are all anime exclusive, but the rest of that point is all Takeuchi.

I assumed that this was the case, but those names......ehhhhhhhh. They sound like Brain Burst characters.

Not sure how I feel about the idea of
sailor senshi being a common intergalactic thing instead of something unique to the Crystal Millennium.

Theonik

i wonder if super deformed pregnant women have super deformed babies
Now I'm somehow thinking about wideface labour. Fuck. NO.

a french flag handbag
Fleur-de-lis on bag

:kayo~s
She also has a Flear-de-lis on the back of her shirt near nape of her neck.
Maybe Kayos thinks that blue, white, and red = United Kingdom.

Britland have the same colour scheme,,,
So do the United States.
That's actually a variation of the old colony flag though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I didn't know FLD was associated primarily with the French. Well.. *sigh*

I didn't know that was the actual design for the French Flag. I just instantly though UK and posted it... =/

Necrovex

Utena 23

This episode was like a bloody mindfuck. I understand most of the things that occurred, but god damn, I had to take a little time to comprehend it all. Well anyway, later Nemuro. You were a cool villain for a while.

And I think I understand how some people state that watching Utena will turn someone insane.

Hattori

Banned

wideface/hidamaris are asexual, no reproductive organs. #truthfact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom