• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 2013! Japan doesn't care about cute girls doing cute things anymore.
image.php

CorvoSol

But it doesn't work as a sequel, either, because by somehow connecting the two you are retconning the ending of the television show through Anthy and Utena's characters being back to square one. You should treat them as alternate universes if it really bothers you.

But I like my way of looking at it.

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 4

Not so bad. I mean, dirty hippies and some minor explanations about what happened to Eureka, but the music is good, and the show is colorful, and Naru's VA has a cute voice.

Westlo

Love Lab was pretty fucking good.

How did Brandy get banned? NBAGAF? lol mavs.

wait a second your avatar was a precure the whole time whaaa

Moonlight best cure.

You are insane.

It would be insane to miss out on the origins of Team Visors as well as the dog vs cats debate and most important, High Elf or Dark Elf girls (totally dark elf).

(73 pages behind but really 71 since i've read the 2 latest @_@)

CorvoSol

Glass Fleet 4

Conquering other mens' swords and inserting each other into their pockets is kinda the most blatantly yaoi thing like, ever.

My favorite part of the show is that the VAs hate it as much as I do. Oh man oh man that man has a goateestache on EACH of his chins. The worst thing about this show is that it could be good if anyone cared, but they kinda obviously don't.

Theonik

Rescue Me!
I'll give it a shot. Once subs surface.

nah, that's just unfunny "hahaaa so random" humour.

thats right, aiura has the pewdiepie of anime ops
I actually gave it some more thought and it's even a cancer joke. Which makes it pretty offensive.

There's only one reason that people watch Juden-chan. Is that something about yourself that you really want people to know? :(
I don't see what's wrong with th...

It was cutedorable. Except the whole pee fetish thing. That wasnt nice. Dunno why some directors seem to love that.
I see. Dodged a bullet there.

Bottom of the page. :(
How sad.

But your banner reads Toradora.
Budget restraints called for the reuse of assets.

OH YEAH

Spring 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales (new entries bolded)

63,638 *2 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
19,734 *2 Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19
11,839 *1 Hataraku Maou-sama! [DVD+BD]: 2013/07/03
*8,906 *3 Karneval [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/28
*8,717 *1 Date A Live [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/28
*8,488 *1 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*7,625 *1 Kakumeiki Valvrave [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*5,411 *1 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*5,072 *3 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/31
*4,162 *2 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. Z [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/05
*3,960 *1 Devil Survivor 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19
*3,874 *2 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/21
*3,623 *1 Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san [BD]: 2013/06/26
*2,813 *3 Yuyushiki [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/29
*1,915 *1 RDG Red Data Girl [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/28
*1,596 *1 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*1,403 *1 Photokano [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/28
**,696 *1 Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
**,346 *1 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19

**,*** *0 Arata Kangatari [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/21

It's too bad that Crime Edge seems to have bombed (it's actually good), but otherwise, nothing to complain about there. Yuyushiki was bad and deserved to fail, and while I'm watching Samurai Girls S2 (Samurai Bride), I can't call it at all "good". And on the other hand, Yahari Ore etc's decent, so that selling well is nice; maybe a second season? From what little I watched of them Date-a-live and Karneval seemed quite decent as well.

Westlo

The seiyuus DID change from the Vomic for the anime version of Nisekoi!

Raku is now Kouki Uchiyama, Chitoge is now Nao Toyama, and Onodera is now KANA HANAZAWA

Also apparently there's going to be at least one anime-original character

Ichika > Kirito
Cure Peace > Chiho
Nagi > Zange (and well Zange > Nagi when they switched characters for that bonus feature clip)

Articalys

Blue Exorcist The Movie sold about 10.7k on BD and 11k on DVD.

Not much else of note released this week besides that and Hataraku (which was split about 9700/2100 BD/DVD if you're wondering), so don't wait up for the detailed list. We might get a couple second week numbers on Thursday though.

Westlo

Damn @ dem AnE numbers, that series so getting rebooted when the manga is coming to an end. Should just pretend the final half of the TV series never happened, can't even FMA Brotherhood the first part because apart from fleshing out the first chapter it was pretty legit.

And on the other hand, Yahari Ore etc's decent, so that selling well is nice; maybe a second season? From what little I watched of them Date-a-live and Karneval seemed quite decent as well.

Low budget, pretty good sales and it pushed LN sales to a good level, should be a no brainer.

Articalys

I'M SORRY I CANNOT COUNT THE NUMBER OF DIGITS IN A SALES ESTIMATE
IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE I'M TOO EXCITED ABOUT LWA2

BLUE EXORCIST MOVIE ONLY SOLD ABOUT 22,000 OVERALL

I SHOULD PROBABLY GO TO SLEEP NOW

CorvoSol

Bunny Drop 4

I was already emotional, and now this. Man, just kinda in a sea of feels. It being 2 AM is not helping this at all, either.

Westlo

Brain Base hate making sequel tho :(
I really like it too.

I'm still perplexed @ no DRR sequel considering the sales it had and the amount of LNs out. Heck it's not like Narita is a one note hack with writers block like Haruhi's author. Seems the only sequel Brains Base like to pump out is Natsume but fucking DRR sells twice as much....

Oh well hopefully Brains Base run out of otome games to adapt and pump out a DRR and Yahari sequel one day.

Articalys

Ah, fuck it, I'm still awake and something has the full list posted.
Code:
2013 07/01~07/07 Anime BD List
*1 (***)	---	10,269	*10,269	**1	Ao no Exorcist Movie LE
*2 (***)	---	*9,720	**9,720	**1	Hataraku Maou-sama! v1
*3 (***)	**2	*6,491	*34,744	**2	Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% v1
*4 (***)	**1	*6,415	*47,151	**2	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
*5 (***)	**7	*3,826	*15,195	**2	ONE PIECE Film Z RE
*6 (***)	**6	*1,660	*13,650	**2	Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken v6
*7 (***)	**3	*1,555	*25,217	**2	Sword Art Online v9
*8 (***)	*30	*1,359	*13,856	**3	Koto no Ha no Niwa LE
10 (***)	*52	*1,155	381,946	*11	Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q (Evangelion 3.33)
Code:
2013 07/01~07/07 Anime DVD List
*1 (***)	**3	10,992	*,*39,178	**2	ONE PIECE Film Z RE
*2 (***)	---	*8,698	*,**8,698	**1	Ao no Exorcist Movie LE
*3 (***)	**1	*8,226	*,*51,475	**2	ONE PIECE Film Z LE
*5 (***)	**4	*2,687	*,*28,894	**2	Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% v1
*6 (***)	---	*2,257	*,**2,257	**1	Ao no Exorcist Movie RE
*7 (***)	---	*2,119	*,**2,119	**1	Hataraku Maou-sama! v1
*8 (***)	---	*1,898	*,**1,898	**1	Aikatsu! v4
*9 (***)	---	*1,786	*,**1,786	**1	ONE PIECE 15th Season Gyojintou-hen v8
13 (***)	---	**,957	*,***,957	**1	Ixion Saga DT v8
14 (***)	*48	**,952	*,169,585	*11	Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q (Evangelion 3.33) 
15 (***)	---	**,930	*,***,930	**1	Naruto Shippuuden Special - Chikara Kuro
16 (***)	*64	**,916	1,193,963	602	Tonari no Totoro 
17 (***)	*12	**,770	*,**6,929	**2	Hetalia The Beautiful World v2
20 (***)	*82	**,662	*,**3,398	**2	Koto no Ha no Niwa
25 (***)	*14	**,556	*,**5,987	**2	Sword Art Online v9
26 (***)	---	**,513	*,506,806	548	Majo no Takkyuubin
28 (***)	*28	**,472	*,**3,019	**2	Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken v6
29 (***)	---	**,444	*,120,394	151	Mimi wo Sumaseba
30 (***)	*31	**,413	*,**2,713	**2	Magi v7

Quasar

The World God Only Knows 3.01 - Oh. Its going a bit darker. Also poor Kanon, my favourite.

Dog & Scissors #2 - So that's two episodes I liked. Didn't think I'd like this show.

Theonik

An update to the LWA2 Kickstarter is up:
We never expected to see this amount of support coming out on the first day of our Kickstarter project going live. To think we managed to reach our goal in under 6 hours is absolutely unbelievable, and we could never have done it without you! We'd like to let everyone know that we are reading everyone's comments and messages, and we will be going through every question with the team and updating the FAQ shortly.

Furthermore, we will be letting everyone know our stretch goals as soon as possible! We were taking the project one step at a time and never expected the project to reach it's goal so quickly - but rest assured that we will take everyone's comments into consideration and come up with some stretch goals that the fans will be proud to support! Just bear with us for a few days while we discuss what is best for the project!

Thanks again to everyone who has supported this project, whether you pledged or simply shared it with your friends! You can expect an update with more details very soon!
So stretch goals are coming soon. HYPE

duckroll

I'm still perplexed @ no DRR sequel considering the sales it had and the amount of LNs out. Heck it's not like Narita is a one note hack with writers block like Haruhi's author. Seems the only sequel Brains Base like to pump out is Natsume but fucking DRR sells twice as much....

Oh well hopefully Brains Base run out of otome games to adapt and pump out a DRR and Yahari sequel one day.

Your mistake is assuming that Brains Base chooses their own projects and decide on what they want to adapt.

Westlo

Your mistake is assuming that Brains Base chooses their own projects and decide on what they want to adapt.

True, let me rephrase that in regards to DRR than, why haven't Aniplex reassigned it to a studio who can get it out considering they had no such issues doing so with OreNo (AIC Build) to OreNo 2 (A-1). Is it a an LN issue, like in the middle of a big arc? Are the key staff behind the Baccano and DRR anime unwilling to move studios like OreNo's did?

An update to the LWA2 Kickstarter is up:

So stretch goals are coming soon. HYPE

stretch goal - 2 hour movie would get my wallet.

Yep, Brain's Base is not the reason we haven't seen a Durarara sequel. Though I wonder what the reason is considering LNs continue to come out and the anime sold well.

Rose of Versailles - 01

Been meaning to watch this for a while now, though I'm not sure whether to continue this or continue where I left off in Oniisama E, though at this point I may as well restart it, making it my third time doing so.

This was pretty good; not as engaging as Oniisama E's first episode, though I think the OP may actually be better. I LOL'd hard at Oscar and Andre's fist fight for some reason. Also, someone please tell me
there's a yandere in this
. There's one in Oniisama E, so I'm hoping there's one in here, since they were made by the same person.

duckroll

True, let me rephrase that in regards to DRR than, why haven't Aniplex reassigned it to a studio who can get it out considering they had no such issues doing so with OreNo (AIC Build) to OreNo 2 (A-1). Is it a an LN issue, like in the middle of a big arc? Are the key staff behind the Baccano and DRR anime unwilling to move studios like OreNo's did?

I don't really know anything about Durarara's source material or the publisher, but maybe the stakeholders are unable to come to an agreement on how to proceed on another anime series?

Articalys

Music sales this week are boring too, but SPYAIR fans will be glad to know that the new Gintama movie theme song Genjou Destruction sold 17,770 copies.

Theonik

Strike Witches 08
ivFuvwZMiyR2x.png

Men? In my Witches? Please say it isn't so. Good. Minna protecting the garden.
Another darker backstory episode this time starring Minna, this is similar to Barkhorn's episode in many ways. Early Witches had it rough. Also Minna in a red dress is among the best things ever. That ending cliffhanger too. (also :Chet) Gotta watch 09 quick. Also dat :SDBurton
A decent but still relatively low amount of butts, while the fight was more butty than usual, making up for it somewhat. (lol at the :wonzo on that last shot btw or several of the others for that matter) Maybe my expectations for butts have been set too high from episode 05 and 07.

If anything there's plenty of material for both Baccano and DRR available to cover multiple 13 episode seasons if they went for it.

In Baccano's case, they have a HUGE amount of source material to draw from. DRR has less, but there's no reason they couldn't move forward with more seasons, at least in terms of source material available.

Which makes the whole situation all the more frustrating. Both shows got cut off before they even got to the good stuff.

Full Metal Panic! Another Volume 03

And so ends another volume of this delightful Full Metal Panic series. While I wasn't convinced at first, by this point they've pulled me back in and I find myself eagerly grabbing the next volume on my Kindle.

I think the best thing about this volume is the clarification that
Mao founded DOMS as a PMC so that she could give people like Lina (or Sosuke) a place where they could use their skills in a legit way. A place where they wouldn't have to be murderers, but they would still be able to flex their AS muscles. For a little while I had assumed that DOMS was going to be a kind of Neo-Mythril, but the reality is that in this new world, Mao wants to give these people a home.

It's a nice extension of
***Mao***
's character development from much earlier. Especially the whole bit where
she asks Sosuke what his plans are when their battle with Amalgam ends. In retrospect, it's nice to see that she managed to pull something together in the past ten years

Lina also gets a lot of good action here, especially with the way
she struggles with her jealousy and anger toward Tatsuya. He's new, yet he's a capable pilot. She should be happy about this seeing as how she trained him, but the reality is also that she brought him into this world of combat and danger. His experience in a real life or death battle from the end of volume 2 proved to be a shock to her. Tatsuya getting chosen as the pilot for Blaze Raven #01 is crushing on multiple levels, which leads to her total collapse in judgement

Looks like things are about to get real in volume 04. I'm excited to see where this goes.

Westlo

If anything there's plenty of material for both Baccano and DRR available to cover multiple 13 episode seasons if they went for it.

In Baccano's case, they have a HUGE amount of source material to draw from. DRR has less, but there's no reason they couldn't move forward with more seasons, at least in terms of source material available.

Which makes the whole situation all the more frustrating. Both shows got cut off before they even got to the good stuff.

I fully understand why there is no Baccano! sequel, it simply just didn't sell enough unfortunately and seemed to have no effect on LN sales. Pity it's one of my fav anime shows period

DRR otoh sold an avg of 18,310 dvds, light novel sales exploded... fuck IIRC it went from like sub 40k to 300k during the run of the anime. Than the Bluray box rerelease sold another 5.5k and I thought sequel announcement soon yeah? Nope.

Sucks to hear that the LN content isn't behind the lack of a second season, and considering Omori has the DTL Samurai 2 cour show airing this fall... :(

Perfect scenario, Baccano 2, DRR 2 and Vamp (is this actually decent?) are done as a packaged deal..... lol yeah right :(

/XX/

Well, it has Rinko Kikuchi, and if Kurita can talk about live-action japanese stuff here in the anime thread surely we can allow a movie with live japanese people into the anime of the year voting. I think this is like, impeccable logic.
Bonus points towards validation if you watch it in Japanese, as it has the voices of fan-favorites Mr. Sugita & Ms. Hayashibara!

Yamato 2199 is the best thing that's been animated in years. YEARS. Just finished ep 14.
Be sure to check out all the 'Yamato 2199 Report' and 'Yamatalk Night Report' featured on Cosmo DNA (http://www.ourstarblazers.com), for your fix on information about the project.

Woah Yoshinari worked in Pokémon? I assume the kickstarter page means the 2011 movie and not the season. Now I'm curious to watch it.
Yeah, as staff member of Production I.G... at that time in 2011, as we knew via Syūichi Iseki (@egocoroking) that they organized a farewell party just for him rather than for any other, and shortly after that GAiNAX was "disbanding" with profiles on their webpage being erased, we thought he was gone for good to continue on his own way! But later seeing that he did it in the meantime TRIGGER Inc., was starting up was a total relief...

Perfect scenario, Baccano 2, DRR 2 and Vamp (is this actually decent?) are done as a packaged deal..... lol yeah right :(

I own the first volume of Vamp but I've yet to touch it. I heard it's good though.

Narita seems to be focusing entirely on Baccano and DRR at this point. He basically takes turns writing them. Haha.

cnet128

Banned
Also Watamote's OP is basically the summer season equivalent of Muromi-san's OP.

Ehhhh. They definitely have a similar out-there quality to them, but Muromi-san's OP was also godly and incredible. Watamote's OP doesn't really live up to that.

The seiyuus DID change from the Vomic for the anime version of Nisekoi!

Raku is now Kouki Uchiyama, Chitoge is now Nao Toyama, and Onodera is now KANA HANAZAWA

Also apparently there's going to be at least one anime-original character

...Huh. I love KanaHana and I love Onodera, but my brain is having some serious trouble reconciling the two.

Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!! - 02-04

jOH7FoapwiSDL.jpg
It's like Dokuro-chan without the gore, and the man isn't a wimp.
It was cutedorable. Except the whole pee fetish thing. That wasnt nice. Dunno why some directors seem to love that.

...So I guess I should probably watch this huh.

But that would take someone to actually watch it... and they'll probably go for Cure Peace and leave others like Cure Blossom and Marine and Sunshine and Moonlight out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom