• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubern

This kickstarter is insane.

I'll put 50$ once I've cleared my current situation (possibly going to be looking for a new job and if it happens I'll be very short on money)

I've watched the first 15 episodes of Utena by the way, and I really like it. I know I'm getting it backwards but the structure really reminds me of Star Driver ahah.

I just have a really hard time with Anthy. I suppose there's more to her, but I don't really like her character right now...

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm okay with skipping swimming girls and mahjong girls and even the ramen girl, but Yui? How the fuck do you skip Yui?

I was going to start season 3 after I wrap up season 2, but this collective outrage is pretty telling in saying that I should read the manga to see how badly they dun goofed with season 3. :lol

• Inferno Cop 01
yyfd868.png

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Utena 13

Honestly, this feels really obvious in retrospect. I blame me not knowing anything about rose color meanings other than their existence prior to looking them up.
I hadn't thought about the actual meanings behind the colours until you pointed them out. So don't feel bad?

Turning girls 4

This show only got good when the fujoshi showed up and it's declined now that there's less of her :/

Watamote 1

Not feeling much humor but this show has something even better, an incredibly endearing girl. After seeing that it feels like the OP is sort of a mismatch for this show, CG chains certainly didn't help at least. I'm disappointed that the conversation with the brother didn't go longer, hearing both their thoughts on what cute is would've been interesting and chatting with Tomoko is exactly what this show makes me want to do. Hearing her perspective on things is just so curious. If I could I would stick her in Yuyushiki just to see what would happen. Is it lame that if I made doujins that it would mostly feature characters chatting (or in this case probably not chatting) with each other?

Thoraxes

TWGOK S3 01

They skipped the best arcs. Unforgivable.

I'm okay with skipping swimming girls and mahjong girls and even the ramen girl, but Yui? How the fuck do you skip Yui?

By being a douchebag

Da fuck they skipped Yui? (also you forgot giant nee-san)

wtf

Now I know how disappointed manga fans feel when a series they read becomes adapted and plays with their hearts.

I don't know whether i'm happy or sad for this season. I don't even know how to feel.

Watamote - Episode 1

Really great animation, actually it's quite shockingly fantastic. When I first heard this anime announced I thought it was going to look like your usual school comedy, but this was pretty good.

The story is interesting and the OP/ED is good too, though I prefer the ED over the OP. Seeing her get flustered when trying to talk is very adorable btw. So it seems like this show is on my watch list for this season too.

If their's one thing this show did right is the baggy eyes effect, geez they outdid that feature on her brother and her.

cajunator

Banned
Watamote - Episode 1

Really great animation, actually it's quite shockingly fantastic. When I first heard this anime announced I thought it was going to look like your usual school comedy, but this was pretty good.

The story is interesting and the OP/ED is good too, though I prefer the ED over the OP. Seeing her get flustered when trying to talk is very adorable btw. So it seems like this show is on my watch list for this season too.

If their's one thing this show did right is the baggy eyes effect, geez they outdid that feature on her brother and her.

Baggy eyes moe is the fucking best.
date a live nailed it with Reine.
it makes Tomoko even more precious.

yami4ct

I hadn't thought about the actual meanings behind the colours until you pointed them out. So don't feel bad?

The revelation for me came when Utena's big white rose flashes on screen during one of her victories. I then thought, "Wait, they all wear different colors, rose colors mean something right?". Looked it up, got to yellow, and then was 100% sure that was intentional.

survivor

Banned
WataMote 1

Need to be more visually creative and do more stuff while Tomoko is in despair. Otherwise it was a decent intro episode. Nothing special, it was just carried by its source material, but that's not enough to make it really good.

No joke I would play the hell out of a Precure all stars fighting game. And I dont even like fighters (cause I suck at them)

I've been constantly thinking up specials and whatnot along with play styles for each of them, it's nerve wracking because it'll never happen on top of dealing with similarity issues.

I've been constantly thinking up specials and whatnot along with play styles for each of them, it's nerve wracking because it'll never happen on top of dealing with similarity issues.

Some awesome soul out there could model hack a precure into Smash Bros.

I've got Mami and Madoka in Smash Bros. Brawl and it is awesome.

Edit: LWA now at $126,520

yeah this thing's getting funded. I should throw in a dollar.

Some awesome soul out there could model hack a precure into Smash Bros.

I've got Mami and Madoka in Smash Bros. Brawl and it is awesome.

Edit: LWA now at $126,520

yeah this thing's getting funded. I should throw in a dollar.

But that would take someone to actually watch it... and they'll probably go for Cure Peace and leave others like Cure Blossom and Marine and Sunshine and Moonlight out.

Nudull

Banned
Hahaha, yeah I'm alive though I was close to sending out an SOS. The biggest thing I regret is the SOA stuff I ordered when I got overexcited about the show.

Watching SAO is probably going to hurt for me, but I can't help but be curious. Hopefully it's good for a laugh, at least :p

CorvoSol

Adolescence of Utena-- The rest of the movie.

Naked Utena. Nu meaning is brought to the term Nutena. More like NUDENA HAHAHAHA KILL ME PLEASE. The airplane noise is a nice touch.
No heart Anthy is trippy as balls.

This Nanami as a cow scene makes no sense within the context of the film, since neither Chu Chu nor Nanami as characters have been introduced thus far.

Did anyone get a redesign that was better in this movie? Nu Akio is horrid. Looks like its only Jury. The sudden transition into the duel with Jury is also kinda awkward. I suppose the movie assumes you've seen the show, but still, it just feels like this whole thing is somewhat stilted in that sense. As something that's meant to be a retelling of the show, its held back by its reliance on your already having seen the show.

WHAT THE FUCK AKIO IS DEAD WHAT THE FUCK HUGE DEPARTURE FROM THE SERIES. Suddenly we've moved into 2.22 which means that a large time skip and character retcon are soon in order. Akio is also a lot younger and sounds like he's in denial of what he's done to her. So is he not the same Akio from the series, then?

The key is of course
Utena, who has left Akio's world, which is why he can't get his car to start, which is a metaphor for him still being unable to open the Rose Gate and reclaim the power of Dios.
Oh damn he just
up and stabs her.

Chairs with signs? Am I about to go deeper? Also, during the duel with Jury, Miki asks
who is Touga, while standing next to him. Come to think of it, I've only seen Touga interact with Shiori, Anthy, and Utena. If not for Shiori's interaction, I'd be left wondering if Touga was not himself somewhat removed from this world.

So I'm wondering about the significance of
the story of the boy who drowned in the river. Jury tells this story toward the end of the show and like Nanami, I didn't really get it, but it has popped up a few times now, so what is the meaning of this tale?

OH.
Was it Touga in the series, too? Has Touga been dead all along? Does this mean that Touga's feelings for her in the show were genuine, and that he was dead all along and also was her prince all along?
The more I feel like I understand, the less I understand.

Utena refusing
to draw Anthy's sword and remain in "this world" means what, then? That whole mumbo jumbo about relationships, but also that she rejects this world, too, and wants to go to yet another with Anthy? Jeez, Utena, keep skippin' worlds and you're gonna wind up in some cross twister with Shinji Ikari.

Also I am not sure that I accept the previously proposed statement that Utena refusing to draw Anthy's sword symbolizes her rejecting the relationship of Prince and Bride, since one scene prior she readily confesses that Touga was her Prince. one might argue that Touga was, but no longer is because she rejects that relationship, but given the tone of the scene I'd sooner say that Touga was but no longer is because he's dead/does not exist in this world/is still stuck in another.

Car Washes are fun. I go to the Brown Bear carwash and they have this tricolor stuff that's really pretty. Anthy's refusal to wash her car just extended this movie by 20 minutes.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

THIS IS SOME AWESOME FAN ART LEVEL BULLSHIT.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku

VROOM VROOM

Also I am not sure that I accept the previously proposed statement that Utena refusing to draw Anthy's sword symbolizes her rejecting the relationship of Prince and Bride, since one scene prior she readily confesses that Touga was her Prince. one might argue that Touga was, but no longer is because she rejects that relationship, but given the tone of the scene I'd sooner say that Touga was but no longer is because he's dead/does not exist in this world/is still stuck in another.
The key word here is "was", yeah.
Utena hadn't been able to forget her prince despite the prince's death. That's the point: princes are ultimately poisonous.

CorvoSol

"DID YOU THINK YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE WHO COULD
TURN INTO A CAR!?"

THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM.

I CAN'T BREATHE.

REGULUS WHY

Articalys

The seiyuus DID change from the Vomic for the anime version of Nisekoi!

Raku is now Kouki Uchiyama, Chitoge is now Nao Toyama, and Onodera is now KANA HANAZAWA

Also apparently there's going to be at least one anime-original character

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

THIS IS SOME AWESOME FAN ART LEVEL BULLSHIT.

I was staying up to watch the LWA2 kickstarter get funded and dick around on the internet but nothing will top this tonight.

This is what happens when you give Ikuhara freedom and money.

which he should have ALL THE TIME!
Wait I forget, how much freedom/money did he have in Penguindrum?

$136,595

This is nuts. Also I actually watched the video on Kickstarter, and I didn't know that the people out in Japan didn't know about Kickstarter, considering it's been mostly a resounding success out in the west.

survivor

Banned
The seiyuus DID change from the Vomic for the anime version of Nisekoi!

Raku is now Kouki Uchiyama, Chitoge is now Nao Toyama, and Onodera is now KANA HANAZAWA

Also apparently there's going to be at least one anime-original character
And now I'm obligated to watch it. Fuck, I'm gonna hate myself for doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom