• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
No, it's only going to run for 10 episodes. It will start late and finish early I guess.

If you say so. I'm only watching it because I heard actually playing Hyperdimension Neptunia is awful and I want to see the story without actually playing the game.

Dunno about the games either but it looks fun and properly stupid. My kind of anime :D

duckroll

At this point, I really don't think we can blame any of the actual faults of Shingeki on the production issues. Let's be honest, it's just boring and badly directed. The scripts were completed months in advance, so it's not like they suddenly had to write them. The staff just aren't that good, and Araki was always a shitty choice as a director. Now we're seeing the actual results. Let's not make excuses. :p

survivor

Banned
yo Branduil, can you link me to one of your Hyouka posts with all the background pictures? I think I remember you posting something like that before, but I can't find it and I need it to convince a friend to watch the show.

faridmon

At this point, I really don't think we can blame any of the actual faults of Shingeki on the production issues. Let's be honest, it's just boring and badly directed. The scripts were completed months in advance, so it's not like they suddenly had to write them. The staff just aren't that good, and Araki was always a shitty choice as a director. Now we're seeing the actual results. Let's not make excuses. :p

Yeah, that is where I am at. I would really blame the writers and the director for this shambles.

CorvoSol

Slayers TRY 16

What the hell even. I mean, they're on a ghost ship. But jars. And now Zelgadis is playing the guitar. What in the hell is going on? This is the Adventure Time of anime.

Branduil

The script problems are inexplicable, but I imagine a lack of time can result in poorer-than-typical direction as well.

Well, it's a clusterfuck and a lot of people deserve blame. Araki was a bad choice, and the production issues have been really bad. Even if they had all the time in the world and every episode looked gorgeous, it wouldn't change the fact that Araki is completely destroying the pacing of series for no clear purpose. When we combine those issues together, we get a really underwhelming show (especially with Sawano's shitty music constantly blaring).

Mandoric

Banned
The second episode had a frickin powerpoint presentation for 5 minutes+ at the end. Its a really poorly planned and executed show.

Hey, it works for SHAFT.

zeroshiki

Which is inherently related to cost, right? I mean, not having enough time means that you don't have the manpower to actually meet those demands.

Not really. "Man power x time = result" is only true up to a certain point. Eventually you get diminishing returns on your manpower especially since the art director and other people turn into bottlenecks because they have to check stuff and put it all together.

By all reports, it seems like the AoT production is throwing money at the problem by hiring more and more manpower but their time is shot and they need to take shortcuts to stay on schedule.

Ultimadrago

Girls und Panzer OVA 6

gupbrsqz.png

:SeraphisCain

Branduil

duckroll

The script problems are inexplicable, but I imagine a lack of time can result in poorer-than-typical direction as well.

The biggest problems with the direction aren't simply a matter of "this could have been done by a better animator if there was more time on the schedule" though, the problems are that it's just boring. Seems more like a fundamental problem with the people making it lacking creative skill to make the best of the situation.

Pooya

I haven't watched Titan for 3 weeks now, it actually got worse? interesting. I'll still watch the rest when it ends, sounds like it's a better approach now if there is that much filler.

zeroshiki

I hate that it takes 12 episodes for the cultural festival to start :( That's quite a long time to get people not really that interested to sit down and be patient.

Pooya

I hate that it takes 12 episodes for the cultural festival to start :( That's quite a long time to get people not really that interested to sit down and be patient.

the movie arc was pretty cool too, and that's early. I don't think if someone didn't like it then would change his/her opinion later.

OceanBlue

Hyouka was good before the cultural festival though!

I agree. I do think it starts off a bit slow, but I really enjoyed the whole thing.

the movie arc was pretty cool too, and that's early. I don't think if someone didn't like it then would change his/her opinion later.

I joined AnimeGAF partway through Hyouka airing, so I might not remember correctly, but I remember Duckroll rewatching the first half sometime after the cultural arc and remarking that they were more interesting now that he was invested in the characters, lol.

CorvoSol

I haven't watched Titan for 3 weeks now, it actually got worse? interesting. I'll still watch the rest when it ends, sounds like it's a better approach now if there is that much filler.

Getting worse implies that something changed. It got worse in the sense that the same amount of bad again and again is worse than the same amount of bad just one time.

zeroshiki

Hyouka was good before the cultural festival though!

I liked Hyouka from the beginning :p I was on that hype train from Day 0!

The movie arc was pretty great but the complaints against Hyouka were that it lacked dynamism and just stuff happening in general. I feel the cultural festival totally blows all of those complaints out of the water and it would be sad if people bailed out on the show before it.

Shergal

I liked Hyouka from the beginning :p I was on that hype train from Day 0!

The movie arc was pretty great but the complaints against Hyouka were that it lacked dynamism and just stuff happening in general. I feel the cultural festival totally blows all of those complaints out of the water and it would be sad if people bailed out on the show before it.

I liked Hyouka from the first episode too, but the main draw for me was the excellent audiovisual presentation ("the atmosphere").

Also I never expected the mystery angle to have any weight whatsoever and approached the show as a slice of life, that might have helped.

zeroshiki

I liked Hyouka from the first episode too, but the main draw for me was the excellent audiovisual presentation ("the atmosphere").

Also I never expected the mystery angle to have any weight whatsoever and approached the show as a slice of life, that might have helped.

I agree with you on this. I approached Hyouka as a SOL with a mundane everyday mystery conceit as a backdrop. This isn't Detective Conan or Golgo 13. I'm not sure what some people were looking for.

The first kininarimasu scene with the music and the hair and everything was more than enough to set the stage for me.

Ojamajo Doremi - 12

So his shirt is
worth 20 magic spheres. Didn't
Majo Rika
said their money had no value in the witch world
, so all the sales
until now for, 5, 10, 200, 250, 280 yens are worth nothing?

Shergal

Naw, bro. Movie arc had dat introspection and dat twist.

The Hyouka arc had stronger individual episodes for me, and some themes from there later come back with full force in the endgame.

The movie arc is excellent too, I wouldn't think the show's a masterpiece if it weren't!

Kagami

Why does the Japanese populace eat this shit up? Its so annoying. I've never understood the act of trying to self-insert yourself in a world or character. I don't want a character so bland I can swap them with myself in my head, I have too much self respect for that. I want to watch awesome people be awesome (vague I know but still) not someone be a wet noodle.
Future Diary is supposed to be a horror-movie type situation though, with an ordinary kid thrust into terrifying circumstances.
The protagonist isn't a hero with responsibility; he just wishes he could get the hell out of there. I also rather liked this situation where a male protagonist is highly dependent on a much stronger and frightening woman he has zero control over.
And of course it's fairly standard as far as him growing up some over the course of it.

yami4ct

Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

This show is really weird. This show has fantastic music. I love how clearly over designed all the important characters are. Cannot wait to see more. Did I mention how weird this show is?

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

This show is really weird. This show has fantastic music. I love how clearly over designed all the important characters are. Cannot wait to see more. Did I mention how weird this show is?

Y'ain't seen weird till the curry episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom