• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Nah, see, like any Harvest Moon player worth his salt, Hachiken already knows which girl he's gunning for within five minutes of starting the game.
But any Harvest Moon player worth his salt knows which girl he's gunning for before he buys the game!

Popuri

faridmon

Just finished Last of Us, nothing impressive about the overall story except for the dialogue and the character interaction.

Does Chihayafuru have an Episode left, or was last weekends one the last of the bunch?

CorvoSol

There's people who think of themselves as the Original Gangster, but then there's The Count, the Original OG. Dapper as fuck. No, wait, scratch that. He's more than dapper, the man is straight up debonair!

The Count of Monte Cristo is so smooth, baby's bottoms aspire to be him.

so how come ya'll dont like Attack on Titan

cause it's good and a lotta other stuff isn't is the thing

Because Eren Jaeger hasn't moved in three fucking episodes.

Because 20 seconds of show time should not take up 18 fucking minutes of my actual life.

Because every last person in this show is a whiny fucking cunt who does nothing but bitch and cry about how the Titans are going to eat them. The Titans are scary, I FUCKING GET IT. They were scary on their own.

Because if I have to see Armin and Mikasa disobey direct orders one more time, I won't care, because they'll spend another fucking thirty minutes talking about it rather than doing it.

Because you can only have the fucking spider man gear breaking as a plot element so many times before it just becomes retarded. OH NO NO GAS. OH NO MY SWORDS WON'T EJECT. OH NO THE HOOK DIDN'T WORK. OH NO NOW I CAN'T GET IT TO FIRE. Holy shit why do they use these things if THEY NEVER FUCKING WORK.

Because this was a great action show until the entire fucking show decided to sit down and do FUCKING NOTHING FOR THREE EPISODES STRAIGHT and then promise me a clip show.

Attack on Titan is the most disappointed I've been with a show in awhile now, and not because "I wanted to like it" but because I DID like it and then it stopped MOVING. The only reason nobody compares the last three episodes to the last season of The Walking Dead is because nobody's bothered to have sex with a guy who keeps Titan heads in jars.

Dresden

Does it have waifus?

Yep.

Looking forward to Silver Spoon. Arakawa doing a manga about farming sounded odd at first, but it's turned out to be quite a delight.

Bit off-topic since this is manga stuff, but I'm curious about how her adaptation of the Legend of Arslan turns out, too. The books were written by Yoshiki Tanaka, who also happens to be the author of the Legend of Galactic Heroes.

zeroshiki

The Count of Monte Cristo is so smooth, baby's bottoms aspire to be him.

Because 20 seconds of show time should not take up 18 fucking minutes of my actual life.

Because every last person in this show is a whiny fucking cunt who does nothing but bitch and cry about how the Titans are going to eat them. The Titans are scary, I FUCKING GET IT. They were scary on their own.

Because if I have to see Armin and Mikasa disobey direct orders one more time, I won't care, because they'll spend another fucking thirty minutes talking about it rather than doing it.

Because you can only have the fucking spider man gear breaking as a plot element so many times before it just becomes retarded. OH NO NO GAS. OH NO MY SWORDS WON'T EJECT. OH NO THE HOOK DIDN'T WORK. OH NO NOW I CAN'T GET IT TO FIRE. Holy shit why do they use these things if THEY NEVER FUCKING WORK.

Because this was a great action show until the entire fucking show decided to sit down and do FUCKING NOTHING FOR THREE EPISODES STRAIGHT and then promise me a clip show.

Attack on Titan is the most disappointed I've been with a show in awhile now, and not because "I wanted to like it" but because I DID like it and then it stopped MOVING. The only reason nobody compares the last three episodes to the last season of The Walking Dead is because nobody's bothered to have sex with a guy who keeps Titan heads in jars.

The second episode had a frickin powerpoint presentation for 5 minutes+ at the end. Its a really poorly planned and executed show.

duckroll

Yuyushiki - Episode 12 (End)

T_T

It's over. On a really uneventful note too. Nothing about it really screamed "final episode" or anything, which is fitting because it ended just like it started - with a whole lot of nothing. I really enjoyed the series, and I'll probably miss it. The characters turned out to be pretty adorable, and I really wish the series focused more on the extended cast. I would have liked to see more interactions with Aikawa and her friends, and the teacher as well.

Once again, Kinema Citrus has made a surprisingly enjoyable series out of source material which really doesn't seem like it would be worth the time. I wonder how long they're going to have to keep doing that before getting an original show to really flex their creative muscles more... :(

Yuyushiki - Episode 12 (End)

T_T

It's over. On a really uneventful note too. Nothing about it really screamed "final episode" or anything, which is fitting because it ended just like it started - with a whole lot of nothing. I really enjoyed the series, and I'll probably miss it. The characters turned out to be pretty adorable, and I really wish the series focused more on the extended cast. I would have liked to see more interactions with Aikawa and her friends, and the teacher as well.

I sympathize with this statement. Really hard considering the bombing of its dvd sales.

faridmon

I agree wholeheartedly on all points.

The thing that annoys me on top of those is the terrible writing that happens when characters evaluate their profound emotions. The creators/author are all trying to shove it down your throat of the fact that FEAR is being felt (which we get it overburdened by the constant whining, crying and those widening of those bloody eyes). However they don't stop there. They have to add those annoying bloody inner monologues n which characters speak to themselves about rationalising those FEAR. ''Why isn't my feet moving?'' '' Why am I running?'' ''Why am I scared?''''why am i alive'' ''why am i dead'' ''why am I not dead''

Terrible writing all around that destroys the whole atmosphere of the show.

Hayate no Gotoku! 02

Still completely enjoyable to watch. Them references, the multiple attempts to end the episode early, dat narrator.

jman2050

But any Harvest Moon player worth his salt knows which girl he's gunning for before he buys the game!

Popuri

Excellent taste.

XwjO7Xh.png

CorvoSol

The thing that annoys me on top of those is the terrible writing that happens when characters evaluate their profound emotions. The creators/author are all trying to shove it down your throat of the fact that FEAR is being felt (which we get it overburdened by the constant whining, crying and those widening of those bloody eyes). However they don't stop there. They have to add those annoying bloody inner monologues n which characters speak to themselves about rationalising those FEAR. ''Why isn't my feet moving?'' '' Why am I running?'' ''Why am I scared?''''why am i alive'' ''why am i dead'' ''why am I not dead''

The worst part is the Titans WERE scary on their own. Yeah, they're hilarious giant naked people who have goofy expressions on their face, but their weirdness coupled with their insatiable desire for human flesh made them like giant zombies, and it worked.

The scene where the guy
blows his brains out rather than be eaten by them
is also a pretty good way of showing how they're scary.

Then we just have three episodes of people fucking shouting "I AM SCARED OF BEING EATEN WAAAAAH." And I don't fucking CARE if a mob would act like this or not. I'm tired of it. Goddamn just move the fucking plot already.

Also, inner monologue does not count as character development automatically. Armin can review what he OBVIOUSLY is feeling for 20 minutes, but if he's doing it in a circular fashion and nothing changes, it wasn't character development. It was barely characterization.

The worst part is the Titans WERE scary on their own. Yeah, they're hilarious giant naked people who have goofy expressions on their face, but their weirdness coupled with their insatiable desire for human flesh made them like giant zombies, and it worked.

The scene where the guy

Then we just have three episodes of people fucking shouting "I AM SCARED OF BEING EATEN WAAAAAH." And I don't fucking CARE if a mob would act like this or not. I'm tired of it. Goddamn just move the fucking plot already.

Also, inner monologue does not count as character development automatically. Armin can review what he OBVIOUSLY is feeling for 20 minutes, but if he's doing it in a circular fashion and nothing changes, it wasn't character development. It was barely characterization.

It really reminds me in regards to Other M's cutscenes where it was explaining obviously obvious things. Feelings, what they're looking at, and whatnot. It's like I GET IT! I CAN SEE IT! I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME SOMETHING I CAN OBSERVE! What a waste of money and cutscenes.

CorvoSol

It really reminds me in regards to Other M's cutscenes where it was explaining obviously obvious things. Feelings, what they're looking at, and whatnot. It's like I GET IT! I CAN SEE IT! I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME SOMETHING I CAN OBSERVE! What a waste of money and cutscenes.

Except that here, I guess they don't have money and that's why they're murdering the show?

faridmon

The scene where the guy

I am saying that those constant inner monologues have been going on since the start but the effect is fully felt after those last 4 episode. Albeit, the training mini-arc were quite fun. I agree with you that those inner monologue does not add anything to the character, if anything, its an irritant and this whole grim reality is turned into bloody comical irony because of those monologues.

I do think those Titans are scary though. Those faces are creepy and the animation they choose for them are highly appropriate. too bad the designers have to be dragged down because of the writing and the structure is all butchered up.

wonzo

Banned
Girls und Panzer OVA 6 END

moetanksova6.jpg

That was arguable the best portrayal of Little Women I've seen yet but I have to give the nod to the Toku and Swan Lake performances. I guess I'l have to check out the manga and that spinoff to help tide me over till the Anzio OVA and the movie. :(

Bit off-topic since this is manga stuff, but I'm curious about how her adaptation of the Legend of Arslan turns out, too. The books were written by Yoshiki Tanaka, who also happens to be the author of the Legend of Galactic Heroes.
I'm gonna be really bummed out if this turns out to be anything other than a great series.

CorvoSol

I am saying that those constant inner monologues have been going on since the start but the effect is fully felt after those last 4 episode. Albeit, the training mini-arc were quite fun. I agree with you that those inner monologue does not add anything to the character, if anything, its an irritant and this whole grim reality is turned into bloody comical irony because of those monologues.

I do think those Titans are scary though. Those faces are creepy and the animation they choose for them are highly appropriate. too bad the designers have to be dragged down because of the writing and the structure is all butchered up.

The stupid inner monologue and incomprehensible Shonen Anime Values were alleviated and acceptable before because you know, there was stuff going on. There were cool moments, fights, and even some emotional tension going on.

Now, to be honest, I know geriatrics whose bowels move with more frequency than Eren Jaeger and the plot of this show.

That fucking boulder is symbolic of the entire arc. It doesn't move. It just sits there. And does fucking nothing. For episodes on end.

faridmon

Maybe its a Japanese thing? or at least in Japanese shows. I have seen this in many of their shows. They over-explain things that doesn't need explaining and they bloat it with needless exposition. I have seen it in many other shows, except it feels a lot worse in Titan and Other M.

CorvoSol

They apparently have money. What they don't have is time.

I kinda feel like a hiatus would be better than doing this by the seat of their pants, then. Miyamoto's law and all, as applied to anime: "An anime that comes out late is only late once, an anime that comes out bad is bad forever."

Unless that anime is Evangelion 3.3, then it is both late and bad.

Maybe its a Japanese thing? or at least in Japanese shows. I have seen this in many of their shows. They over-explain things that doesn't need explaining and they bloat it with needless exposition. I have seen it in many other shows, except it feels a lot worse in Titan and Other M.

Yeah, I guess you have a point there. Feels like a waste of a format. I'm not reading a book you know?

faridmon

Yeah, I guess you have a point there. Feels like a waste of a format. I'm not reading a book you know?

Speaking of which; Anime-GAF, any shows that doesn't waste time of needless drive and goes straight to the point?

The only ones I can think of is Kurenai and Baccano. Even Eden of the East and Ghost in the Shell had some of those dialogues.

zeroshiki

What makes them not have time? Time to do what?

I'm not initimately familiar with how AoT was put together but it seems like poor planning has made them super late and left them with too little time to create the episodes. Drawing and animation take lots of time. They are not producing these episodes fast enough and have had to outsource like hell to even have enough to fill 30 mins of TV.

faridmon

I'm not initimately familiar with how AoT was put together but it seems like poor planning has made them super late and left them with too little time to create the episodes. Drawing and animation take lots of time. They are not producing these episodes fast enough and have had to outsource like hell to even have enough to fill 30 mins of TV.

Which is inherently related to cost, right? I mean, not having enough time means that you don't have the manpower to actually meet those demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom