• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only do you have excellent taste in best girls you also have excellent taste in worst girls.

Also I decided to restart Vividred because hnnng and action and butts.

This is always a good thing, I'm contemplating rewatching stuff if I stop getting distracted and finish something in the current backlog!

Gurren Lagann - 1

Well that's certainly a good way to start off a show! I mean, this kind of set up has been done before, but doesn't mean it can't be done again if it's executed well. There's a big village underground, a dude wonders what's out there, etc. The good thing here is that we find out what's "out there" in the first damn episode. Makes for some good world building.

Animation looks amazing so far. Especially in that opening sequence. Oh, that's a sweet battleship you got the-IT'S ON A FRIGGN' MECHA?!?

The design on the Lagann looks like something out of an 80s cartoon. Pretty nice touch they put there.

For our characters, we have our cowardly but likable main protagonist, a hotshot who has no idea of the line between bravery and stupidity, and badass redhead who is sure to become best girl in this show. Standard stuff, but likable so far.

All in all, a great way to set up a show. And considering the ratings this gets, this should be an awesome ride. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Toradora! 1

Probably my most wanted to watch show. And it delivered! Holy cow! Ryuji's got it rough, man. But I'd love to use that scowl. Get out of paying parking tickets or some shit. Forget taking after his dad, the dude's got dat Mr. Clean gene! Yeah! Scrub dat mold! Show it who's boss! Speaking of boss, you know who's boss? Taiga! Shawty don't take no shit! Why am I writing like this? I like Toradora! Sporadic posting! Whatever comes into my head I'm going to type! Dat parrot be cray cray! Why Taiga in dat locker? Why she in dat locker? I need to go to sleep!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Toradora! 11

Well summer vacation is over and now it time for another anime romcom cliche: the Cultural Festival! And what are we doing for it? More cliched shit!

A little bit of Taiga's backstory, that's good.
I wonder if Ryuuji is mad at her for not having better relations with her dad because he knows he can never have that with his dead father.

wow her dad is pretty damn weird.

I'm always surprised how utterly wacky and yet simultaneously heartfelt this show can be.

Called it. But this could be a really...weird addition to the series.

fertygo

Big O 4 Dub

I heard complaints that season 2 takes a turn for the strange, I'm not sure what to make of that considering how strange season 1 already is. I still can't figure out which part of the show I like better, the noir negotiator stuff in the first half or the big robot fights in the second half. They still feel like two separate parts that just happen to segue into the other, like those old hack job dub animes of the past.

S1 even have better robot fight!

cajunator

Banned
I fell asleep last time I tried to watch vividred operation. Trying to concentrate on anything after a 12 hour shift is difficult.
Now that Ive finished episode one Im kinda hooked heehee.
fun and cute and butts indeed!
Reminds a lot of Nanoha. Dis gonna be good.
oooh docking :D

I fell asleep last time I tried to watch vividred operation. Trying to concentrate on anything after a 12 hour shift is difficult.
Now that Ive finished episode one Im kinda hooked heehee.
fun and cute and butts indeed!
Reminds a lot of Nanoha. Dis gonna be good.
oooh docking :D

Did you not finish it while it was airing?

wonzo

Banned
If anyone still doubts AWO's preaching of THE TRUTH (that anime fans are Sick and Depraved) then look no further.

I definitely know where this is gonna put to use:

1013825_533020873400565_117497587_n.jpg

so how come ya'll dont like Attack on Titan

cause it's good and a lotta other stuff isn't is the thing

The pacing has been terrible since about Episode 9, and the animation has been almost non-existent for even longer, too. It's pretty much a completely botched show, which is a shame considering the strength of the source material and the early episodes.

cajunator

Banned
Vividred operation 02

this waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much fun!
The reason they couldnt dock at first was d'awwwwww
its all the best parts of nanoha and the character designs are super cute. Really enjoying it!

IrishNinja

The pacing has been terrible since about Episode 9, and the animation has been almost non-existent for even longer, too. It's pretty much a completely botched show, which is a shame considering the strength of the source material and the early episodes.

I don't hate it. In fact, I still think it's great. It's just hard to ignore the recent pacing issues. I do think it will get better, though.

yeah, the last few have been approaching DBZ levels of nut-dragging but i'm hoping this is just a lull & it'll turn it around soon, some eps moved kinda breakneck speed before that so i think it's early to write it off!

The manga made these 4 episodes look like it'd take 5 minutes. Maybe if I hadn't read the manga, I wouldn't have noticed.

oh yeah, if idve read the manga i might very well feel differently too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom