• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Well you're practically at work when you post often, I'm not really surprised.

I can't stand typing much on my phone. Add copy/paste/tabs to the mix and it gets messy. Though I have an older one, perhaps newer, more "Internet-friendly" models have better utility in that area.

I can't stand typing much on my phone. Add copy/paste/tabs to the mix and it gets messy. Though I have an older one, perhaps newer, more "Internet-friendly" models have better utility in that area.

It definitely depends on your phone. Even on my "Internet-friendly" phone, I hate typing on it cause it sucks. SUCKSSSSSSSSS.

cajunator

Banned
Vividred buttfun 05

well like title implies more of that. Except this is a homuhomu episode. This show has really fun action scenes and the world building is charming. Its all silly and doesnt make a lot of sense but this show clearly enjoys itself.

Well you're practically at work when you post often, I'm not really surprised.

True I do post a lot on mobile. I post between phone calls and when I have quiet times. Otherwise I go home and immediately hop on the computer or tablet. Its an addiction lol.

Kagami

Vividred operation 02

this waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much fun!
The reason they couldnt dock at first was d'awwwwww
its all the best parts of nanoha and the character designs are super cute. Really enjoying it!

Haven't seen Nanoha, but I the character designs (and the consistent quality with which they're animated throughout the series) are about the only thing I liked about Vividred. That and some of the battle animation was good.

Speaking of which, in the last thread, Stump brought up the topic of manga-style gag faces:
In some anime that I've seen characters have, uh, I don't know what to call it--when they have an emotional reaction, there's like unusual doodles. Like if they get angry, there's squiggly lines floating in the air. Or they blush in a very heavy way. Or their eyes get super screwed up. Floating teardrops. Etc. I'm sure you guys know it. It's incorporated here, sparingly, but I really don't like it as an animation flourish.

Takamura Kazuhiro, the director and character designer for Vividred Operation and Strike Witches, is one of those directors who hates gag faces and makes a point to forbid the animators from doing them. I guess it interferes with his vision for having the girls be pretty at all times, or the feel of watching living characters rather than just a symbolic representation. So you never see that in his shows.

Ojamajo Doremi - 13

Ara ara maa maa
That's cheating. Ain't no questionare gonna foul
Aiko, her only fear is takoyaki.
Octopus X Squid,
sanctioned by the Queen.
LVL 8 Goukaku!!

Toradora! 2

The hilarity continues! I'm loving the Taiga/Ryuji chemistry, especially during that scene with the stobie pole. Minori and Kitamura's combined blockheadedness was also pretty hilarious. And what the hell is up with that parrot? I dunno, but that was a great episode. I'm going to bed.

Uraizen

Banned
Toradora! 2

The hilarity continues! I'm loving the Taiga/Ryuji chemistry, especially during that scene with the stobie pole. Minori and Kitamura's combined blockheadedness was also pretty hilarious. And what the hell is up with that parrot? I dunno, but that was a great episode. I'm going to bed.

Keep an eye on that parrot.

Articalys

Mamoru Hosoda tweeted something about watching Kaze Tachinu? Someone please help translate?
「風立ちぬ」試写を観せていただきました。こんなにいい映画はいままでになく、そしてこれからもない、というくらい、いい映画でした。
https://twitter.com/hosodamamoru/statuses/349772325979303938

It definitely depends on your phone. Even on my "Internet-friendly" phone, I hate typing on it cause it sucks. SUCKSSSSSSSSS.

I hate typing on my iPod honestly. My phone still has buttons, but it's like... pretty old I guess.

True I do post a lot on mobile. I post between phone calls and when I have quiet times. Otherwise I go home and immediately hop on the computer or tablet. Its an addiction lol.

Such nice lifes. I can't do that tomorrow since I'll be doing gardening work.

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena 14

WHO AND WHAT. "Is this your brother?" "No, Utena, you dumbass, that's a projector. I mean REALLY."

Why does Anthy's brother have a different last name? No way this lady is a High Schooler. I mean she's visibly indistinguishable in age from every character in the series, but still. No way. Wait, he's gonna marry her and is her adopted brother? Is this a thing in Japan? It sounds like it happens kinda frequently. How is it that the mere word "Prince" is enough to convince Utena that Touga is her Prince, but when she's looking at a guy who is a DEAD RINGER for her Prince, it doesn't dawn on her at all?

Holy fuck I had no idea that Anthy could be that icy.

Okay so there is apparently a male Utena and he has a picture of Utena's Prince on his desk, except that the guy is dressed more like Anthy's brother. Excluding the very obvious conclusion that Utena's Prince is also Anthy's brother in addition to Anthy's brother. The stopwatch doesn't have to do with Student Council meetings, then, as Miki just did it here. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Is Mamiya a boy or a girl? She said she was a boy, but since they're all physically indistinguishable in this show, all I have to go on is voices, and Mamiya sounds like a girl. Not just feminine, but like an actual woman. Also Mamiya is a dead ringer for Utena's Prince, looks like Anthy's brother and of course Papillon.

This is the job interview from Hell. Also butterfly turning into a caterpillar. What is this show?

HOLY FUCK ARE THERE CORPSES IN THE WALLS WHY WOULD YOU SAVE THEIR SHOES WHAT IS THIS PLACE? Utena's school really is Hell.

I-Is Wakaba the Shadow girls?

Thanks for NOT TRANSLATING what that letter said, fansubbers. Now this scene where Utena goes to duel seems completely out of place until I realize that the letter was from End of the World, telling Utena to have a duel. Fuck you, fansubbers. Fuck. You.

Is the addition of a man's voice to the duel song significant? Probably. Will I understand this significance ever? No.

WHAT THE FUCK. What even are those. HOLY SHIT IT'S A CRIME SCENE.

I WAS JUST KIDDING WHEN I SAID THIS SHOW WAS ABOUT A CULT!!

Aaaaaaand now corpses tossed into a furnace.

I don't even know anymore. Is this what its like to watch Evangelion for the first time?

WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. What was that at the end of the episode? Is
Anthy fucking her own brother?
WHAT.

Crocodile

Future Diary is supposed to be a horror-movie type situation though, with an ordinary kid thrust into terrifying circumstances.
The protagonist isn't a hero with responsibility; he just wishes he could get the hell out of there. I also rather liked this situation where a male protagonist is highly dependent on a much stronger and frightening woman he has zero control over.
And of course it's fairly standard as far as him growing up some over the course of it.

I suppose that's a fair point. I mean he can't be Shinji bad right :p

I suppose it can't cost me too much of my time just to try out a few episodes. I think its streaming on Funi's site no?

duckroll

Girls und Panzer OVA - Banquet Wars

That was soooooooo good. It's also the only of the OVAs written by Yoshida. Double good! Solid performances, great animation bits towards the end, tons of humor. This is the right and proper way to end the TV series. Now the long wait for the Anzio OVA and the sequel movie truly begins.

Kagami

I suppose that's a fair point. I mean he can't be Shinji bad right :p

I suppose it can't cost me too much of my time just to try out a few episodes. I think its streaming on Funi's site no?

If you can get Funi's site to work!
I've about given up on it.
I canceled my EVS subscription yesterday and figure I'll just watch their stuff in SD on Hulu. :/

madp

The Light of El Cantare
K-On! 4:

This is obscenely early for a beach episode, but if the show is going at the pace of roughly 1 episode = 1 month for the club, this would be the logical place for a beach episode to go if the school year begins in April. As far as beach episodes go, this was relatively classy and cliche-free, so I can't complain; it was clearly not a slapdash or throwaway episode because there were several standout moments in terms of direction, use of perspective, etc. The pyrotechnic scene had some lovely effects animation and was fairly overt in its :firehawk, and I especially liked the shots that used space to emphasize a sense of "aloneness" in the garage immediately before Mio chokes back tears of frustration that none of the other girls are as motivated to practice as she is.

The great thing is that these snippets of genuine emotion are not simply there to add artificial depth to the characters, but are their own little narrative threads that receive actual resolution; at the end of the episode, Mio's fears are allayed when Yui demonstrates actual improvement in her guitar skills and thanks Mio for her leadership. Beneath all of the goofing off there is actual characterization in K-On!, and this episode did a good job of painting Mio as a responsible person.

The entire light music club would be so screwed if they didn't have a 1% bailing them out at every turn, though :lol Who the hell has a beach house full of expensive audio equipment just because?

Also, I don't remember Yui and Ritsu being this chummy in previous episodes. Kind of feels like Ritsu lost a few IQ points somewhere.

cajunator

Banned
Keep an eye on that parrot.

that damned parrot is so strange. I forget exactly whats wrong with it.

Haven't seen Nanoha, but I the character designs (and the consistent quality with which they're animated throughout the series) are about the only thing I liked about Vividred. That and some of the battle animation was good.

Speaking of which, in the last thread, Stump brought up the topic of manga-style gag faces:

Takamura Kazuhiro, the director and character designer for Vividred Operation and Strike Witches, is one of those directors who hates gag faces and makes a point to forbid the animators from doing them. I guess it interferes with his vision for having the girls be pretty at all times, or the feel of watching living characters rather than just a symbolic representation. So you never see that in his shows.

vividred is a pretty simple straightforward story wedged in between gratuitous butt shots and cuteness and faux yuri. Im totally ok with that :D

I hate typing on my iPod honestly. My phone still has buttons, but it's like... pretty old I guess.

Such nice lifes. I can't do that tomorrow since I'll be doing gardening work.

Its hard work but it does give me a bit of freedom to do what I want as long as the main work gets done, the drivers have what they need and the am shift and all tasks and correspondence are met. Once youve done this stuff 11 years its so routine that its easy for me to carry on long convos and still do everything.

cajunator

Banned
K-On! 4:

This is obscenely early for a beach episode, but if the show is going at the pace of roughly 1 episode = 1 month for the club, this would be the logical place for a beach episode to go if the school year begins in April. As far as beach episodes go, this was relatively classy and cliche-free, so I can't complain; it was clearly not a slapdash or throwaway episode because there were several standout moments in terms of direction, use of perspective, etc. The pyrotechnic scene had some lovely effects animation and was fairly overt in its :firehawk, and I especially liked the shots that used space to emphasize a sense of "aloneness" in the garage immediately before Mio chokes back tears of frustration that none of the other girls are as motivated to practice as she is.

The great thing is that these snippets of genuine emotion are not simply there to add artificial depth to the characters, but are their own little narrative threads that receive actual resolution; at the end of the episode, Mio's fears are allayed when Yui demonstrates actual improvement in her guitar skills and thanks Mio for her leadership. Beneath all of the goofing off there is actual characterization in K-On!, and this episode did a good job of painting Mio as a responsible person.

The entire light music club would be so screwed if they didn't have a 1% bailing them out at every turn, though :lol Who the hell just has a beach house full of expensive audio equipment just because?

Also, I don't remember Yui and Ritsu being this chummy in previous episodes. Kind of feels like Ritsu lost a few IQ points somewhere.

Ritsu and Mio are OTP.

This show has pretty ridiculously high production values for such a simple concept but it works well for it. They DO have concerts and the occasional jam session so the title and theme of the show still works as music. SOme of the songs are really catchy too. Its just really well made feel good junkfood anime. and it has a hell of a community here too.

Its hard work but it does give me a bit of freedom to do what I want as long as the main work gets done, the drivers have what they need and the am shift and all tasks and correspondence are met. Once youve done this stuff 11 years its so routine that its easy for me to carry on long convos and still do everything.

Yeah that makes sense.

Vividred related

I think episode 9 got a lot of flak? Why? It was Yuri tastic!

Code:
[B]cajunator 	1,066[/B]
Kirbyguy 	927
CorvoSol 	717
Regulus Tera 	703
Hitokage 	614
Mad Pierrot 	516
Theonik 	462
wonzo 	435
Chet Rippo 	427
firehawk12 	414
R_thanatos 	408
ZachDeKoromaru 	399
peaceiscloser 	398
Branduil 	379
Jexhius 	367
FelixOrion 	344
Dedication Through Light 	323
hosannainexcelsis 	312
kayos90 	309
Narag 	307
chickdigger802 	303
dakkumauji 	282
Basileus777 	280
cnet128 	270
Syrinx 	270
Dresden 	260
Hattori 	258
zeroshiki 	258
jgminto 	238
fertygo 	237
SDBurton 	221
Lavalamp1138 	216
Kurita 	197
Kincaido 	195
[B]Pyscho_Mantis 	193[/B]
BGBW 	187
cosmicblizzard 	183
KuwabaraTheMan 	180
Awful Falafel 	155
Seraphis Cain 	151
Articalys 	148
Thoraxes 	147
RurouniZel 	139
7Th 	139
Mature 	130
nintendoman58 	126
Jintor 	125
duckroll 	123
Ultimadrago 	123
jbug617 	120
Metrotab 	116
Save 'N Quit 	114
trejo 	113
yami4ct 	111
Haly 	109
survivor 	109
Tenumi 	106
Tamerlane 	106
June 	105
OceanBlue 	102

Enjoy

Awwww yis. If I continue increasing at this rate, I'll be number one in no time.

CorvoSol

Deeper. Go deeper.

But I don't wanna
get shanked with a rose!

Awwww yis. If I continue increasing at this rate, I'll be number one in no time.

The day someone unhorses Cajun as poster number 1 is the day AnimeGAF has to sit down and think about what its doing with its life.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 6 part 1

Dangum Ms. Marida don't you break my heart on this one Gundam. Also, Yeeeaaaah. Dat new Zabi Royal Costume! Oh and people misbehaving and such.

But I don't wanna
get shanked with a rose!

The day someone unhorses Cajun as poster number 1 is the day AnimeGAF has to sit down and think about what its doing with its life.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 6 part 1

Dangum Ms. Marida don't you break my heart on this one Gundam. Also, Yeeeaaaah. Dat new Zabi Royal Costume! Oh and people misbehaving and such.

I thought Kirbyguy would do it but he couldn't handle the cajunator. Its time someone set anime gaf free of this dictator.

cajunator

Banned
Im just a post whore and this happens to be my favorite and most frequented thread and a subject I love to talk about all the time.

Theonik

The animation reminds me of the early days of One Piece, the faces are funny and expressive.
Doremi actually has backgrounds most of the time so don't put it in the same tier as One Piece.

If anyone still doubts AWO's preaching of THE TRUTH (that anime fans are Sick and Depraved) then look no further.
chickdigger should definitely go check.

To date, Vividred Operation is the only show that I've actually completed in full and still set my MAL status for it to "dropped."
That's pretty weak.

Those calories obviously went to the right places, all hail mayo.
Amen.

At this point, I really don't think we can blame any of the actual faults of Shingeki on the production issues. Let's be honest, it's just boring and badly directed. The scripts were completed months in advance, so it's not like they suddenly had to write them. The staff just aren't that good, and Araki was always a shitty choice as a director. Now we're seeing the actual results. Let's not make excuses. :p
It doesn't help that the manga is also pretty ass.

cajunator

Banned
Its 3:30 am. Im wide awake and Ive recently finished up the main shows I wanted to catch up on this season. what else should I watch now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom