• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any news about FUNimation's summer simulcast schedule? FUNimation's pages for the three streaming licenses are still not available on their website.

trejo

Watamote 1

So, can it still be considered wahja when it's supposed to be intentional?

The girl is kinda cute in a sad sorta way and her ramblings and demeanor are amusing but I can see myself dropping this sooner rather than later.

I finished Neon Genesis Evangelion today. Just the show, and not anything else.

...I'm so fucking lost it hurts.

Congratulations, etc.

Also, End of Eva. Now.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
QJxzMFi.png

Le Chevalier D'Eon 11

So after that
literal bloodbath of the Empress in fashion only fitting of a zombie flick
the crew has real issues on their hands

wow that is some shitty cg work on the destruction of that house, I.G.

Kinda have a three fold puppet scheme going on right now
Peter III controlled by Chancellor Bestuzhev controlled by Maximilien Robespierre. Yeah, historical figures like no fucking other up in this shit.

Wow, Voronsov's motivation
is really kinda...weak. So he basically join the RevBros to carry on his name, even though he generally approved of the Empress's plan to get rid of the apathy? I'm so confused.

Let's be honest, Albert is not ever going to learn anything. Like, ever. Franz and Eugenie hang out with him because it makes them look good to have a dumb friend.

Basically. That and Franz is crushing on him, but that's beside the point.

Congratulations!

Watch The End of Evangelion.

And after that, the movies, right?
Oh, and what exactly ARE the movies? o_O

I'll post my final thoughts on the series soon.
Episode 19, 20, and 22 are just amazing. Beautiful stuff.

Also, I don't think I've ever felt this empty after watching a show.
It makes me... sad. It feels like I won't ever see a show that is so... pure?
Weird stuff.

Mature

I watched some stuff at Anime-Expo and figured I'd do some lightning round impressions. Here we go!

Kick-Heart
Got the opportunity to go to the Kick-Heart Panel. The turn out was a lot bigger than I expected! Lots of super enthusiastic fans excited to see Yuasa. The short itself was really great. It's just a ton of fun from start to finish and looks incredible. And made by only 4 animators? Crazy. Above everything else, I liked the colors of Kick-Heart. Makes me wish more anime had it's style or a style similar. I'd love to see some more from these characters outside the form of a 12-minute short, but it worked fine like this.

They also premiered the making of video alongside it. It really showed how humble the project is. During the panel, Yuasa seemed to be saying that he was at a troubling point of his career, and that this project really revitalized his career. He said he'd been contacted by a lot of people since Kick Hearts premiere which is great to hear. Now that this is over, I wait patiently for whatever he has in store next.

On Your Mark (Ghibli music video)
Every year during the Laser Disc Marathon, the guy who runs it pulls out his coveted Laser Disc of the Miyazaki directed On Your Mark music video and proceeds to explain how rare it is while showing it off to the crowd. It's becoming kind of a tradition to watch it once while trying to fill the down time between showings. It's an extremely fun and creative little short, and for anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend it. To me, the whole style of it speaks to a different and completely realized generation of style represented in anime. In that way, it's kind of nostalgic. Plus the song is kinda cool. Watch it!

Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack!
Quite possibly one of the worst anime movie's I have ever seen. Hearing that it was the writer of Uzumaki made it a bit worse too, but I'm sure the original material was better. It had the opportunity to be funny-bad at some points, but it ended up just being sort of gross. Awful.

Dracula: Emperor of Darkness
This wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I was expecting it to be ridiculous in how awful it was, but it was sort of just like an old western animated show. Close your eyes and it's scooby doo. There were parts that were ridiculous enough to warrant it's place on 'the list'. My favorite scene was when
Harker stabbed Dracula with his silvered cane sword and then blew himself to hell with his explosive wheel chair.
What a bad ass.

Garzey's Wing - 1 & 2
Hooo wow! This was the best. Dark Cat tier Dub quality WITH A LOT MORE SCREAMING. WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING EVERY LAST WORD. The others in the hotel room dug this one. Instant classic.

Moldiver - 1
More Laser Disc action. I'd like to watch more of this later, it was a pretty fun premise and I dig the character design.

Tenchi Muyo! In Love
Part of the always amazing, 6 hour, laser disc marathon. I was hoping this was one of the movies I saw when I was a kid where Tenchi wielded a bad ass beam saber. And while it was, it was only for the last 10 minutes of the movie. The rest of the movie was pretty to look at with that 90's movie sakuga, but relatively uninteresting.

I swear, you better post your End of Evangelion impressions.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
And after that, the movies, right?
Oh, and what exactly ARE the movies? o_O

I'll post my final thoughts on the series soon.
Episode 19, 20, and 22 are just amazing. Beautiful stuff.
The End of Evangelion is one of the original movies. Death and Rebirth is the other one and you can skip it unless you like glorified recaps.

The Rebuild movies are something else entirely different and they are only gonna make everything more confusing. TV show and End of Eva are the original continuity.

CorvoSol

Two questions, then:

1 - Is it important to watch to get a better understanding of the show? Because that shit made NO sense in quite some parts.

2 -
More boobies? :D

1. No you don't. End of Eva is your "explanation". Rebuild is okay for the first two. Then the third one retcons the previous two into being bad.

2. Yes. An entire character dedicated to this. Or something. Mari fucking sucks.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Two questions, then:

1 - Is it important to watch to get a better understanding of the show? Because that shit made NO sense in quite some parts.
The End of Evangelion is, well, the end of Evangelion. You have to watch that if you want closure. Unless you are firehawk or I don't know who it was that preferred the tv show ending.

The Rebuild movies are unnecessary weight.

Hattori

Banned
Fantasista Doll First Impression:

Cardcaptor-esque with very cute girls instead of clow spirits. Cute character designs. I have no idea what is going on but it's got decently animated fight scenes. Will continue to watch to see if it's worth keeping in my summer anime schedule.

trejo

Two questions, then:

2 -
More boobies? :D

1 - The Rebuild movies are in no way integral to the understanding or lack thereof of the original TV + EoE combo. They're pretty much their own thing at this point.

2 -
Read some doujins instead. :p

Jex

Strike Witches 10

*Links may contain buttocks, NSFW*
Some nice moments this episode. It was also an :SDBurton goldmine. Also :chet. It seems they finally decided to pay that sort of twist this episode which was pretty expected and can end only one way. Still fun to see. Also this is what they call "your ass is busted".
A great amount of butts. I think they've got a pattern going on now, alternating between butts and less butts between episodes.

Look how corrupted you have become.

1. No, in fact the show supplements your experience of the Rebuild Movies.
Mari

1. No you don't. End of Eva is your "explanation". Rebuild is okay for the first two. Then the third one retcons the previous two into being bad.

2. Yes. An entire character dedicated to this. Or something. Mari fucking sucks.

Alright, will watch End of Evangelion tomorrow. I'm pumped up! :D

Also,
woo! Funbags for everyone!

CorvoSol

Hating on the kindest, friendliest Eva gal eh?

Misato > Asuka > Why would you bother with a woman in Eva who wasn't Misato or Asuka > characters from other series > Mari > Rei Ayanami.

Mari is only the kindest and friendliest because she has 0 character development. As the largest addition to the story in the movies, Mari makes no significant changes. All she does is hog screen time that belongs to Asuka in the second movie.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Misato > Asuka > Why would you bother with a woman in Eva who wasn't Misato or Asuka > characters from other series > Mari > Rei Ayanami.

Mari is only the kindest and friendliest because she has 0 character development. As the largest addition to the story in the movies, Mari makes no significant changes. All she does is hog screen time that belongs to Asuka in the second movie.

Okay, everyone knows the correct answer is
Mana from Girlfriend of Steel, lol

I liked Rei...
Still, Misato and Asuka are amazing characters.

I just hope Asuka stops being a Debbie Downer and gets her shit together for the ending of the show.

Blusby

She's kind and great, but... you know...
who is she and why she exists sort of need to be addressed. If her character is not elaborately addressed in Final, she's a fanservice character through and through.

Ihihihi Eva is built upon sexualizing young girls, Mari isn't really any less fan service than Asuka or Rei, but another leg under the table.

CorvoSol

Ihihihi Eva is built upon sexualizing young girls, Mari isn't really any less fan service than Asuka or Rei, but another leg under the table.

But the difference between Asuka and Mari is that Asuka's character is developed. Time is spent exploring who she is and why she ticks the way she does. And while I'm not a fan of Rei, her importance to the plot is explained, and even Rebuild 2 spends time trying to develop her character
before Rebuild 3 removes it and Shinji's.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The franchise is, the actual text in the tv show actually establishes the characters and gives them more reason to exist than just "we have to sell more figurines/merchandise".

The World God Only Knows - Goddesses Arc - 1:

Jesus, just how much manga material did they skip in order to start the show here? I feel completely lost, even though I watched the first two seasons of this show.

Well anyways, Keima's back and all is right with the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom