• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Spirited Away is my favorite and I don't particularly care that it's a common choice.

Its mine too.

Some people are gonna go all hipster here and claim Cagliostoro or something but I've always felt that Spirited Away was Miyazaki at the peak of his craft. Its about one girl's journey all alone in an unfamiliar world. The train scene is one of the best Ghibli moments I have ever seen.

BroCon 02

guiWhQyl.jpg

Reverse harem harem antics!

I'm not even trying to keep track of whose whose anymore.

Dresden

Its mine too.

Some people are gonna go all hipster here and claim Cagliostoro or something but I've always felt that Spirited Away was Miyazaki at the peak of his craft. Its about one girl's journey all alone in an unfamiliar world. The train scene is one of the best Ghibli moments I have ever seen.

You mean, it's about child prostitution.

JCizzle

Not sure if this would be the right place to ask, but does anyone know a legal site where I can either watch or download Gundam Wing 00? Seems like crunchyroll doesnt have it anymore and I cant find it on amazon to buy (digital)... :(

Not sure if this would be the right place to ask, but does anyone know a legal site where I can either watch or download Gundam Wing 00? Seems like crunchyroll doesnt have it anymore and I cant find it on amazon to buy (digital)... :(

Youll have to wait for gundam.info or daisuki to put it up...or hope someone in the us picks up gundam wing or brings out the bd later this year.

CorvoSol

My favorite will always be Princess Mononoke.
it was just amazing.

That was a good one, too. I saw it for the first time in my first semester of college with some friends. The moment that dude's head flies off is the best moment in the film. EVERYONE in a room reacts to it.

Andrew J.

In light of Anno apparently shitting up his role, the fact that Disney is extremely unlikely to actively promote their eventual release of Kaze Tachinu might work in its favor. They may go for actual VAs instead of a conspicuously star-studded cast only there for name recognition and for once we may end up with a dub that doesn't detract from or even improves the experience. Perhaps unlikely, but possible.

e: beaten

:/

I've never heard a Disney dub for a Ghibli film that I thought was bad.

Instro

So there have been preview screenings of Kaze Tachinu and the consensus seems to be that if you don't care about the VA, its a beautiful touching story. On the other hand, Anno is so goddamn awful that it apparently takes away from the experience across the board.

If only Anno had performed the ending song as well.

Narag

So there have been preview screenings of Kaze Tachinu and the consensus seems to be that if you don't care about the VA, its a beautiful touching story. On the other hand, Anno is so goddamn awful that it apparently takes away from the experience across the board.

Do the plane engines counts as VAs in this context?

Casting Anno as the lead is still a choice that fills me with a profound sense of despair.

Also, Castle in the Sky is my favorite. It epitomizes everything I love about anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
:/

I've never heard a Disney dub for a Ghibli film that I thought was bad.

I've seen Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart, and (I think) Tales from Earthsea dubbed and I just didn't care for any of them. To each his own, of course; part of it is that I'm just biased against celebrity dubs to begin with.

I don't know what it was about but I found Spirited Away to be kind of underwhelming. Maybe it was because I was too used to the modern style with dialogue everywhere and so many dramatic moments.

That's not to say it wasn't good. I thought the quiet moments with the animation were wonderful to look at. The characters were also cute to watch as well. I did enjoy seeing all those weird designs everywhere. It was like a young child being at an art exhibit with your parents! When in the middle of the tour you see something interesting but your parents pull you away to keep up with the group.

The pacing was the best part of it all though. The buildup to the main character entering the spirit world was perfect. We slowly start to realize that things aren't what they seem and then those things show up. Certainly a much better job than Magic Knight Rayearth's way of pacing! Where the show is so excited to be on TV that it throws all that plot stuff at you so fast so it can get to the action! No no no! Spirited Away is how you do pacing and suspense!

So yeah, I may not have been blown away by Spirited Away as much as everyone else here was, but that doesn't mean I don't think it was great. 9/10. Might watch again.

zeroshiki

I've seen Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart, and (I think) Tales from Earthsea dubbed and I just didn't care for any of them. To each his own, of course; part of it is that I'm just biased against celebrity dubs to begin with.

Ghibli does celebrity VA too :p Howl is voiced by the most famous actor in Japan. Even Hosoda does this for his movies.

My short-lived dream of seeing Anno become a prolific voice actor has been dashed. ;_;

wonzo

Banned
how does the cheaper onahole ($50ish) compare to a fleshlight? also i get suspicious with the real cheap ones? are they like disposable or something because they’re cheaper than bluray - seem a little nasty.

my roommate at university had a fleshlight and he’d let me borrow. so i was wondering what main differences are.

vSHAUb3.png

DYE2vd0.png

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ghibli does celebrity VA too :p Howl is voiced by the most famous actor in Japan. Even Hosoda does this for his movies.

Man. I was just using the "original language is better because if it's a bad dub, then at least I can't tell" weeb logic and didn't realize it ._.

Oofuri 13
tumblr_mpr1bevrFE1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mpr1bevrFE1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Its always Abe's lines that feel as if they could be taken a different way.Hamada and friends scene was my favorite simply because they are so into it and definitely want to cheer them on. Really cant wait to see them in action at some point.

Playing catch up:

Rozen Maiden 1
WTF is going on. I don't know who or what is happening, nor the significance. I thought this was a reboot of the series, not a continuation. Guess I'll have to watch the originals to know.

Oreimo 13
Best girl gets her arc finally.
Just like the series as a whole, she's overshadowed by Kirino. The episode explored Kirino's past more than it did anyone else, I will admit I actually hate her less now. .

Kamisama nichiyoubi 01
I read a little bit of the manga when it was just starting to get translated, and found it interesting. I'll probably watch the anime just to see where the author takes the story.

Also, I loved the OP/ED.

survivor

Banned

What a terrible decision.

I hope Takahata won't cast any inexperienced voice actors.

C3-bu 1

This was pretty boring until the airsoft battle started. Hopefully Miyukichi will inject some much needed energy in the cast next episode.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 25

A special card is wreaking havoc disguised as Sakura. Interesting, though. I know that each card has its own personality, but I didn't know they were capable of having feelings such as guilt like the Mirror card had for leading Toya down that cliff.

Oh, and Toya feeding Yukito was adorable. I'm sorry. Wait, why am I sorry?

How did I live before watching this show? I love it so damn much.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 103: Cosmic Mosaic

~ Bloody fantasies of militaristic romantics are useless at the present conjecture. ~

What an odd and unorthodox personnel choice by Reinhard. Appointing von Bittenfeld, Müller and Wahlen under von Oberstein's command? Von Oberstein is an incredibly intelligent Admiral, but he has always been a bureaucrat. This is simply not gonna mesh well, especially with von Bittenfeld being a true battle-Admiral.
Von Oberstein is right though. Sacrificing lives, even if they are military soldiers, for the personal pride of the Imperial Fleet and the Kaiser is a very distinct feature of despots.

cajunator

Banned
Wait, they're airsoft guns? And this is what upset the guy in wonzo's post?

Apparently so.
guns actually should bother me a hell of a lot due to something that happened, but they dont.

Cardcaptor Sakura 25

A special card is wreaking havoc disguised as Sakura. Interesting, though. I know that each card has its own personality, but I didn't know they were capable of having feelings such as guilt like the Mirror card had for leading Toya down that cliff.

Oh, and Toya feeding Yukito was adorable. I'm sorry. Wait, why am I sorry?

How did I live before watching this show? I love it so damn much.

Your days were darker before CCS brought you to the light.

even worse, they're drawn in crayon at the end. Gul culture!!1

https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/354842047204687872

Yeah....thats just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom