• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

CyfzufO.png

As a fan of The Onion, well played. :lol

Gundam F91 is an interesting idea and a very poorly executed one. This movie is just all over the place.

That's a result of F91 originally being planned as a 50 episode show. The movie is, I believe, a condensed version of what was planned for the first 13 episodes of the show.

And yeah, it's a complete mess in execution, with things constantly jumping around.

So there have been preview screenings of Kaze Tachinu and the consensus seems to be that if you don't care about the VA, its a beautiful touching story. On the other hand, Anno is so goddamn awful that it apparently takes away from the experience across the board.

Well, we all knew that Anno was going to be bad. Especially when that first video was posted.

A shame given that it sounds like the rest of the movie is good.

Jubern

Gundam F91 Final

You summed it up pretty well. The whole "let's scrap this series and make a movie instead!" hurt F91 really, really bad. Supposedly the movie uses what they had ready for the first 13 episodes or so.

For the Seabook/Cecily relationship, I might be remembering wrong but I'm preeeetty sure they were already dating before the movie started.

I've started to like this movie more and more with rewatchs, because I really liked Seabook and the overall background of the story (late UC with no Zeon, crazy aristocrats).
But I might very well be more engrossed with it for what it could have been rather than what it actually is.

wonzo

Banned
"Ever long for someone you can't have? Do you have the distinct feeling that friend of yours wants to be more than a friend? Have you watched the entirety of Puella Magi Madoka Magica?"

lmao

It really feels like they tried to cram every series highlight in there for a full show.

Yeah, it does. They really shouldn't have gone ahead with F91 if that was what they were going to do. There was a good story to be told, but they were intent on trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

Jintor

i won't pretend to know everything, or even very much about relationships, but that panel descriptions makes me very depressed

Hattori

Banned
Ama-chan sensei and Gou Show 2

We got lots of Gou and Ama-chan sensei and they didn't disappoint.
Gou's tricep fetish and Ama-chan sensei's past was quite a surprise. Gou definitely feels like a real life high school fawning over boys. I really hope we see some swimsuit model sensei action in the near future.
I have to admit I'm mildly interested in the narrative between Rin and Haru. Between EP 1&2, this show is definitely better than I previously anticipated.

GnHWLGs.png

Dolphin Sekuhara
Dkmihbg.png

imouto!
QoLAga1.png

sensei!

Everybody hates this show.

I need to continue to find out why people hate this show.

I'll be honest, the premise of what they were trying to go for in School Days from what I've seen could have been a really good story.

A somewhat shy boy has a crush on a nice girl so a good friend of his decides to help him, but ends up falling for him instead. I'm sure this has been done a million times before, but that doesn't mean it can't be good if handled correctly.

This doesn't handle it correctly. They make it flat out obvious that Sekai wants Makoto in the beginning. I'd be a lot more interested if they didn't make Makoto a pervert and made Sekai not kiss him in the beginning.

But I've only seen up to episode 4. I've apparently yet to see the true horrors of this supposed spiral of madness.

Ojamajo Doremi 4

Hadzuki's spell-casting sounds like it's going to be annoying. Her high-pitched voice and that long name...eh, we'll see.

So now Doremi, Hadzuki, and Aiko are running the shop. Probably doesn't bode well, but hey, the frog is broke, so desperate times call for desperate measures. I wouldn't have touched that old shop with a 50-foot pole.

I really like the first time she says it to Majo Rika, "Paipai ponpoi puwapuwa puu?", but I don't find nothing special in the stock footage.

Ojamajo Doremi # - 30

I thought this episode would be :sdburton,
but Seki-sensei don't want to be a kuristima kaki.
Steak>
Teacher hapiness

CorvoSol

I'm having a gun-ota seizure.

Edit: Forgot the rest

The story is pretty choppy due to it having started as a TV series, but the animation is pretty great. It's not up to the level of CCA, but it's still well detailed (mostly; there are spots that lack) and very fluid during fight scenes. The mobile suit designs are a matter of taste I guess, but I thought they mostly presented original and interesting ones. The only one I remember disliking is Iron Mask's, but it wasn't outside the specs of other cyber newtype suits.

I think Cecily and Seabook knew each other well enough. Newtype's tend to bond with each other on a deeper level (and far more quickly) than normal people anyway. Iron Mask's crazy antics line up pretty well with other Cyber Newtype's that have basically lost their minds (pretty much all of them over the course of Z/ZZ).

Right, which is why I don't dock it for being consistent. It does waltz the line between tradition and stereotype, but I think that is, again, due to being crammed into a 2 hour movie. If it had been a full series, it could've worked much better. Which is just about the only time I've ever found myself arguing in favor of a 50 episode run.

It's not the greatest love story ever told like SAO is.

Not pictured: the skeletal remains of Full Metal Panic! S4 hopefuls.

That's a result of F91 originally being planned as a 50 episode show. The movie is, I believe, a condensed version of what was planned for the first 13 episodes of the show.

And yeah, it's a complete mess in execution, with things constantly jumping around.

It wasn't bad, just poorly executed, I feel.

You summed it up pretty well. The whole "let's scrap this series and make a movie instead!" hurt F91 really, really bad. Supposedly the movie uses what they had ready for the first 13 episodes or so.

For the Seabook/Cecily relationship, I might be remembering wrong but I'm preeeetty sure they were already dating before the movie started.

I've started to like this movie more and more with rewatchs, because I really liked Seabook and the overall background of the story (late UC with no Zeon, crazy aristocrats).
But I might very well be more engrossed with it for what it could have been rather than what it actually is.

I got the impression she didn't even know him when he nominated her for the Miss Frontier pageant or whatever. Whatevs. I just sorta didn't like her.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Right, which is why I don't dock it for being consistent. It does waltz the line between tradition and stereotype, but I think that is, again, due to being crammed into a 2 hour movie. If it had been a full series, it could've worked much better. Which is just about the only time I've ever found myself arguing in favor of a 50 episode run.

It wasn't bad, just poorly executed, I feel.

I got the impression she didn't even know him when he nominated her for the Miss Frontier pageant or whatever. Whatevs. I just sorta didn't like her.

Uh.... no. AsunaxKirito is 10x better than SuguhaxKirito. Anyway the best pairing isn't even here yet.

Jarmel

Banned

Just to get everyone hyped for no reason, there is a big FMP announcement coming in a couple of weeks. It's FMP's 15th anniversary and so it's an anniversary announcement. It's supposed to not be related to the blu-rays coming out.

So we just have to wait a couple of weeks for that KyoAni S4 announcement.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm not one for yuri but I'm pretty sure even SDBurton would approve of the best couple in SAO. There's also one for DTL later on lolz. Everyone wins?

Dresden

Just to get everyone hyped for no reason, there is a big FMP announcement coming in a couple of weeks. It's FMP's 15th anniversary and so it's an anniversary announcement. It's supposed to not be related to the blu-rays coming out.

So we just have to wait a couple of weeks for that KyoAni S4 announcement.

Full Metal Panic! Another

Summer 2014

ZEXCS

Jarmel

Banned
I have given up on FMP and I truly believe that if there is more FMP to be done, its gonna be an adaptation of Another. That's the ongoing series and that's the one that makes more financial sense.

Well if S4 is announced, Another is probably the saving grace. Another might have gotten Kadokawa on board as a financing partner. As for whether Another or S4 getting done, my money would be on S4 just because they would have to skip so much material and not only that KyoAni staff actually likes the original source. Could they do a Manglobe? Possibly but I doubt it.

Full Metal Panic! Another

Summer 2014

ZEXCS

lol at Zexcs. Take me to the pound and put me to sleep if that's the case.

As far as I can tell, Takemoto isn't tied to anything right now so there is still hope.

cjkeats

Kiniro Mosaic - 01

This is cute, but I think it would be better as a show about two kids and a language barrier.
At least now I can hope it goes the yuri route.

zeroshiki

Well if S4 is announced, Another is probably the saving grace. Another might have gotten Kadokawa on board as a financing partner. As for whether Another or S4 getting done, my money would be on S4 just because they would have to skip so much material and not only that KyoAni staff actually likes the original source. Could they do a Manglobe? Possibly but I doubt it.

lol at Zexcs. Put me to sleep if that's the case.

As far as I can tell, Takemoto isn't tied to anything right now so there is still hope.

Its not like it NEEDS to be done by KyoAni :p

But, Gatoh is the author and he mostly works with KyoAni nowadays...

Dresden

lol at Zexcs. Take me to the pound and put me to sleep if that's the case.

I'm still fond of FMP, but I don't know why they'd work on the property again - there's no real incentive anymore for kyoani. And I'd hope that Takemoto is working on something not FMP.

I think a new FMP will happen at some point, but it's not going to be anything fans will be happy about.

No please God, NO!

Mostly because it would mean no Aku no Hana part 2

Pablo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom