• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why he's trying to fight that kind of battle.

They're airsoft guns, and no, they don't really get the news here. Or at least they don't pay a whole lot of attention to it.

I can go and buy an airsoft gun from a store here with no orange tip on the barrel, go outside and run around with it. Nobody will freak out. Nobody will shoot me.

Why? Because that's the kind of culture that exists here.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
http://i.imgur.com/DYE2vd0.png
Is the one by Zac actually from SOS? He is such an incredible narcissist and it colors his views on just about everything, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised he had that kind of reaction. His complete disregard for other viewpoints, to the point where his taste is altered by a rebellious streak to be different, always results in hilarity.

For more "gun culture" raving the article is here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2013/the-summer-anime/zac

Watashi Warui 01
This looks really good so far. I know the manga is highly praised too. Humour is right up my alley too.

Love Lab 01
I was afraid this would be too much like Yuruyuri, when in truth its more like Seitokai Yakuindomo, but with more yuri. WIll keep watching for now.

Tenumi

Banned
I... I like Japanese music...

All honestly, I love how the language sounds and how it flows. Its why I want to learn it and I love hearing it.

ANN.... ANN forums... They've always felt like "baby's first anime forum" to me. Or would that be MyAnimeList forums?

Quasar

Anime editorial in the US is a....it's a weird business. What a pointless battle to pick.

It is. And I certainly understand the sentiment (probably part of why I don't play shooters at all), I find it a bit hard to pick on this for glamourising gun use. Then again this is a cute, slice of life real world anime rather than some dark fantastical escapist anime that has killing with guns in it.

I think they did catch up to Milky Rose, at least for her to rely on them a lot. And no one's going to reach Cure Ace's level that isn't Cure Heart because they aren't even Cure Hearts level or even relevant.

Quick answer : ( hard day and i'm tired )

The thing is with milky rose is that when the other 5 caught up to her , she got ....AN UPGRADE that made her even more powerfull , and aside from the finale that was confusing in term fo power levels , i don't think they caught up with her.

As for catching up with cure Ace , it's still possible , as long as cure rosetta stop acting like regal ( symphonia ) and makopi finally decides to level up her game ( because let's face it it's been 10 eps where she was more than disapointing )

Minami-ke Okawari 13 (END)

If this is apparently the low point of the series, than I'm looking forward to the next two seasons. Okawari has all of the comedy the first season is known for with a nice addition of really feel-good moments that was lacking in S1. Milhouse (I honestly forget his name after every episode) brought more to the show than I was expecting and I was a bit sad to see him go. Real good stuff, will probably get around to Okaeri today or tomorrow.

Cwarrior

So there have been preview screenings of Kaze Tachinu and the consensus seems to be that if you don't care about the VA, its a beautiful touching story. On the other hand, Anno is so goddamn awful that it apparently takes away from the experience across the board.

This is why you don't hire your friends when you should be hiring professionals, going to wait for the english dub.

Kurita

vSHAUb3.png
But he's right!

Kagami

So there have been preview screenings of Kaze Tachinu and the consensus seems to be that if you don't care about the VA, its a beautiful touching story. On the other hand, Anno is so goddamn awful that it apparently takes away from the experience across the board.

It's ok, people who don't speak Japanese will praise his acting as natural and refreshing.

CorvoSol

Gundam F91 Final

So I finished it, and what a train wreck it was. I'm trying to be understanding since it was supposed to be a full fledged series, that was what the vision was and money constraints limited it from being so, but jeez did the final product ever suffer!

-Characters: Seabook was an okay guy. He's a typical Gundam protagonist and there's not much to say beyond that, yet. My chief problem, really, was his relationship with Cecily, and not so much his side of it as hers. She starts the movie off barely knowing him, spends most of it away from him, and ends it wildly in love with him. I get it from Seabook's side since he'd liked her prior to the film, but I don't see how Cecily developed these feelings. Moving along from them, Iron Mask Carozzo is a problem unto himself. He angsts and then is suddenly reminded that he is Darth Vader so he up and tries to do some villainous things at the end I guess but meh. Everyone else has as much character development as a woman Johnny Bravo hits on.

-Pacing: Was terrible. Scene transitions are jarring and jagged and the film moves at a break-neck pace without any real explanation for why things are going on. Largely, of course, because this was supposed to be a series and wound up crammed into a twentieth of the time. One point even has Seabook literally shift scenes by turning to face a different direction.

-Plot: Was as good as "Nothing has changed since the end of the Universal Century. Now War breaks out again." can be expected to be, I guess. It waivers between being a traditional Gundam story and a stereotypical one.

-Mecha: Designs were okay, although the faces on the Crossbone Vanguards mecha were a little odd for Gundam, where non-Gundam mecha tend not to have 2 distinct eyes. The action scenes remained okay throughout for me, and the beam flag is a fun idea. The F91 is also a fairly cool Gundam.

-Animation: was decent enough. Easier on the eyes than anything in Gundam SEED.

I would have enjoyed Gundam F91 a lot more if it had been a series. As it is, its just a kind of subpar Gundam movie.

Free! 2

Gou has a respectable appreciation for UPPER BODY. Enjoyed this episode much more. The characters clicked better and we got to see that good ol' fashioned sports drama angst.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
B-but why?!
The animation on the show isn't bad, with plenty of chibi moments and sparkly effects, but the character designs have such stock features that one can easily recognize the typical “short orange hair = tomboy, black back-length hair = more elegant and girly” configuration. The music is largely innocuous when present at all. Hence the aptly-named Love Lab will have to come up with some better material if it hopes to reel viewers in and keep them on the hook.
All of the available points got stolen by their Dog and Scissors reviews.
It's not the greatest love story ever told like SAO is.
I don't think ANN likes SAO. You might be thinking of Kotaku.

LordCanti

Gundam F91 Final

So I finished it, and what a train wreck it was. I'm trying to be understanding since it was supposed to be a full fledged series, that was what the vision was and money constraints limited it from being so, but jeez did the final product ever suffer!

-Characters: Seabook was an okay guy. He's a typical Gundam protagonist and there's not much to say beyond that, yet. My chief problem, really, was his relationship with Cecily, and not so much his side of it as hers. She starts the movie off barely knowing him, spends most of it away from him, and ends it wildly in love with him. I get it from Seabook's side since he'd liked her prior to the film, but I don't see how Cecily developed these feelings. Moving along from them, Iron Mask Carozzo is a problem unto himself. He angsts and then is suddenly reminded that he is Darth Vader so he up and tries to do some villainous things at the end I guess but meh. Everyone else has as much character development as a woman Johnny Bravo hits on.

-Pacing: Was terrible. Scene transitions are jarring and jagged and the film moves at a break-neck pace without any real explanation for why things are going on. Largely, of course, because this was supposed to be a series and wound up crammed into a twentieth of the time. One point even has Seabook literally shift scenes by turning to face a different direction.

-Plot: Was as good as "Nothing has changed since the end of the Universal Century. Now War breaks out again." can be expected to be, I guess. It waivers between being a traditional Gundam story and a stereotypical one.

-Mecha: Designs were okay, although the faces on the Crossbone Vanguards mecha were a little odd for Gundam, where non-Gundam mecha tend not to have 2 distinct eyes. The action scenes remained okay throughout for me, and the beam flag is a fun idea. The F91 is also a fairly cool Gundam.

-Animation: was decent enough. Easier on the eyes than anything in Gundam SEED.

I would have enjoyed Gundam F91 a lot more if it had been a series. As it is, its just a kind of subpar Gundam movie.

I'm having a gun-ota seizure.

Edit: Forgot the rest

The story is pretty choppy due to it having started as a TV series, but the animation is pretty great. It's not up to the level of CCA, but it's still well detailed (mostly; there are spots that lack) and very fluid during fight scenes. The mobile suit designs are a matter of taste I guess, but I thought they mostly presented original and interesting ones. The only one I remember disliking is Iron Mask's, but it wasn't outside the specs of other cyber newtype suits.

I think Cecily and Seabook knew each other well enough. Newtype's tend to bond with each other on a deeper level (and far more quickly) than normal people anyway. Iron Mask's crazy antics line up pretty well with other Cyber Newtype's that have basically lost their minds (pretty much all of them over the course of Z/ZZ).

Defuser

Free! ep 2

Gou...oh sweet Gou....best character all the show and her orgling of the upper body.

Would it be so wrong if she did the same thing with her brother's upper body?

Natsume Book of Friends s1 1-7
tumblr_m6hrxjAzvg1qhqi24o1_250.jpg

Natsume's classmates are underrated and deserve all their screentime and more. Their so friendly and in a world in which there are anime in which characters will just ignore students in class and not try to talk to them, this really set itself apart by having such characters to earnestly try their very best to get Natsume to open up. I like it and where its going and hope more for them, even time outside of class, and maybe if he can come out to them about his own struggles and issues. Taname is also good too, but needs more coverage, while the class president kind of drags things down, which brings one point about the anime...alot of the scenarios can really be hit or miss and fast. If the spirit is uninteresting then it makes the episodes feel like they are lasting an hour and give the impressions thats its just boring, or rather, because the anime is what it is it is just plain relaxing, that these boring episodes will make me start dozing off. This is especially amplified whenever there is a long flashback sequence. Reiko's alright but still the humans are kind of limited by these spirits.

Will stick with it as its great and I have all these seasons, hopefully will finish this weekend...unless I get in a p4g mood.

cajunator

Banned
"Upstanding fan of moe anime" LMAO!

Maybe you should watch one of the dozens of other cute shows we keep telling you to watch. Like Heartcatch.

Ill get this out my system soon. Its her mumbling. Oh god its precious. I cant get enough of her nervous mumbling.

Nudull

Banned
Well, since I can't watch Free at the moment...

School Days - 10
For a split-second, I thought Katsura and Taisuke were having sex. I'm tired.

Makoto and Saionji aren't even hiding their shame, at this point. Oh, Katsura, please let this idiot go, already. ;_;

Hooray! Katsura being smart and calling out Kiyoura! Go~ Katsu. :3

Wow. Makoto didn't even resist Kiyoura when he finally dumped Katsura. I just...goddamnit.

By this point, I've already assumed that Makoto has already slept with everyone else. Yes, including the teachers. Oh hey, and Makoto's already found someone new to lie to, I'm so happy for him.

...This fucker didn't. Nope. No. I refuse to believe. This fucking show.

So, it's that kind of party, huh? Again, this show. :/

Katsura... :c

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2/posts/534304
Greetings everyone! I must say, words cannot simply express how happy we are! After returning from Anime Expo, we gathered and reviewed all the comments that were given to us. And, I believe we are ready to announce our stretch goal! Our deepest apologies to those who have patiently waited.

To begin, we received many comments about "extending the episode length over 40minutes." We have to be honest, it is looking very difficult to make this happen. We simply do not have the capacity to finish the project by 2014~2015 if we maintain our current quality of animation. Also if we were to aim for a series project, it will for sure be later than 2016 since we have our upcoming television series "KILL la KILL." We just do not want to make all of you fans wait that long. We deeply apologize for this.

What we have decided to set for our 500,000 USD stretch goal are the following: -Adding an audio commentary and a making of LWA2 documentary. -Adding an Original Sound Track and Gengasyu (Line art collection book)

We have also added more quantity to the 2,000 and 10,000 USD rewards!

On a side note, I heard from GOOD SMILE COMPANY that they may "consider" creating a Little Witch Academia figure if we can manage to reach 500,000 USD!

And we will be adding FAQ section soon! Please check them out, you just might find the answer you are looking for!
HEY GUYS WE ARE ALREADY AT OVER DOUBLE THE ORIGINAL GOAL BUT FUCK THAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom