• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Servant x Service 02

lSU95AWl.jpg

Superior Sakurai leading this episode.

The closet otaku bit was pretty boring but I did enjoy the tsundere imouto.

CorvoSol

whatever you do, make sure you watch the OVA ^^

Well now I'm curious. Is the "alt ending" one or what?

NOW Corvy kun understands AO's true form. I fear it is too late.

I just . . . why would they do this? Especially when Eureka Seven did such a good job of breaking down the white haired pretty boy nonsense? The Truth is already such a fanfiction character. I mean he has magical action movie powers that weren't extant in Eureka Seven at all (even
Eureka and Anemone did not have those kinds of moves
), he has a special eye color just like
the Coralians
but different! a special connection to the Nirvash and Eureka, and he has an unnatural hair color
which is sort of something only Coralians and their CyberNewtype Pseudo Coralian counterparts like Anemone
had. He clearly isn't
a Coralian,
though, because his eyes are different.

How am I supposed to not instantly despise him?

You should.

But... don't you want to see... The Truth?

You don't.

I liked the Truth more when he was a purple haired woman in a saucy evening dress.

We haven't even gotten to the fun part yet.

I don't know what fun is anymore.

Hank Hill is truly the most anime character Fox's animation block has ever delivered.

Why is that Storm Trooper drunk in a gutter?

パシフィック・リム

Opening action was a little incomprehensible, story was thinner than I'd have liked, and the downtime was kinda eccentric. That's all immaterial though as I went to see one thing.
I left the theater feeling like a god damn child as I couldn't help but giggle excitedly to myself any time a jaeger was onscreen doing jaeger things.

all hail our cg mecha future, aoty, etc

It's like a zombie apocalypse. First duckroll got bit, and slowly one after another everyone falls. I can't wait for the emotional wham episode where Cajunator has to put me out of my zombie misery.

oops sorry

Tomokazu Sugita as Raleigh Becket (played by Charlie Hunnam)
Megumi Hayashibara as Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi)
Tesshô Genda as Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba)
Tohru Furuya as Dr. Newton Geizler (Charlie Day)
Yuji Mitsuya as Dr. Hermann Gottlieb (Burn Gorman)
Shuuichi Ikeda as Herc Hansen (Max Martini)
Shigeru Chiba as Tendo Choi (Clifton Collins Jr.)
Daisuke Namikawa as Chuck Hansen (Robert Kazinsky)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...cific-rim-poster-and-japan-creators-laud-film

Only know Sugita.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

You seriously didn't know Ayanami Rei or Lina Inverse's seiyuu?

/commits sudoku
Faye Valentine? Lina Inverse? Rei Ayanami? Girl-side Ranma? Paprika? She's one of the most prolific voice actresses in anime.

Also, Shigeru Chiba is Megane from Urusei Yatsura, Yotsuya from Maison Ikkoku, and Buggy from One Piece.
Here's the thing, I don't actively seek seiyuu names. Every time you guys talk about all that stuff it goes over my head.

jbug617

Banned
C3BU 2

This show is on the chopping block for me. I didn't like the 2nd episode and I think it's probably due to the foreshadowing in it.
They are going to make the MC into a hidden prodigy of shooting. My only hope is that they are going to draw it out about how good she gets.

Silver Spoon 1

Haven't read the manga yet but after this episode I guess I'll have to check it out. Fun slice of life on the farm story that like FMA feels like a very real world with real characters in it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Servant x Service has a cool OP visually, but it's the only OP/ED this season (excluding the few things that haven't aired) that's outstanding to me in any sense. There hasn't been anything that's excelled as a cohesive audiovisual experience (well, maybe the Free! ED but dance choreography is the easy way out) and nothing that's made me think "hey, I'd really like the single of that".

I know you know Shigeru Chiba.

Well obviously I've seen a bunch of things with him in it, but I wouldn't be able to know it was him just by hearing the voice.

The only people I can do that with are the ones listed and Usopp/Inuyasha's voice who I always forget the name of.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The only people I can do that with are the ones listed and Usopp/Inuyasha's voice who I always forget the name of.

I only recognize a handful of seiyuu by ear too and somehow I still know that's Yamaguchi Kappei. Probably because he's also Ranma and L so he was in several anime that were formative to me.

Servant x Service has a cool OP visually, but it's the only OP/ED this season (excluding the few things that haven't aired) that's outstanding to me in any sense. There hasn't been anything that's excelled as a cohesive audiovisual experience (well, maybe the Free! ED but dance choreography is the easy way out) and nothing that's made me think "hey, I'd really like the single of that".

Have you seen the Rozen Maiden ED?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I only recognize a handful of seiyuu by ear too and somehow I still know that's Yamaguchi Kappei. Probably because he's also Ranma and L so he was in several anime that were formative to me.

For me he will always be Kudo Shinichi.

Accept no substitutes!

• ミッキーマウス (2013) 01-04
Animation redeemed.

ディズニー has really been on a roll in the past few years.

Beautiful art design, excellent humor and really expressive characters.

Syrinx

Glass Fleet 24

"Damn you. Damn you. Why must you treat me this way?" Rachel, just stop. I...I'm at a loss for words. What the hell happened to you? You knew he was a piece of shit. You were right the first time. And the kicker is, he seemingly won her over by telling her in great detail just how much of a piece of shit he was. And now she's asking why he treats her this way. I...why? Just why? "I can't go on like this anymore. Vetti is not himself." YES HE IS GODDAMMIT! Let her go crazy and do something absolutely batshit insane. I don't even care...Wait...ooooohhhhh this is getting interesting. Looks like somebody's going to fuck up Ralph something good...OOOOOHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!! Best thing she's done in a while. Good show, Rachel.

"Rachel, when did you get here? This is not a place for a woman to be." Vetti says as his woman doctor is standing right next to him.

Wow that prison security seems pretty goddamn incompetent. The pope's followers are literally talking to him through his cell, and there's one guy who's behind a brick in the wall. He's continuing to run operations from his prison cell. Props to him, major shits to whoever's in charge of watching the dude.

Ah, so the prophet is inside the bracelet on another glass battleship? Wonder where this is going. Wait, so...the box has been used to manipulate mankind's genetics since its existence? What? Whoa whoa whoa WHOA WAIT! Cleo and Vetti are twins? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?! I saw that episode...where Magnus and what's her face...had Cleo. Did they also have Vetti and didn't tell anybody? Only Cleo was there when Ecardo came to the queen. Where was Vetti in all of this? Just...what? Okay, now we're back on the ancient ship. Still haven't heard how they're supposed to REBUILD A SHIP THAT'S BEEN SCATTERED INTO MILLIONS OF FUCKING PIECES ACROSS THE GALAXY AND RUNS ON TECHNOLOGY THAT NO MODERN HUMAN UNDERSTANDS!! You guys might want to discuss that.

OH FUCK THE PROPHET WAS A MACHINE WHAT THE FUCK AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

What the fuck, Aimer? Cleo could have easily dodged that. Because he's Cleo. Now that you've went and gotten yourself stabbed for no reason, the Glass Battleship's crew will have to negotiate its way out of the bracelet without its pilot. Nice work. Luckily Hizac's there to pick up the slack. If there was a spinoff starring him and Sylua, I would watch it.

Wait, did Vetti just die there? No...no that couldn't have happened. He just had one of his attacks, right? ...Right?

I'm probably going to end up finishing this tomorrow. I don't know how the fuck this is going to end, but...I don't see it going well.

Defuser

Silver Spoon ep 1

Pace is slightly slow but that is minor. Overall this is a pleasant show with Hachiken getting used to the agriculture life with hopefully more interesting facts about the animals and the way that people handle them. Oh and the music is great and fitting for the show.

The OP and the ED is meh.

Nudull

Banned
Free! - 02
This has already become one of my favorites of the season, it's as hilarious as it is charming and lovely to look at. Also, Rin and Makoto. Hell, everyone. <3

Silver Spoon - 01
Based Arakawa. <33
A pretty cutesy and fun start, and the cast seems as quirky and lovable as I expected. The OP/ED were slightly underwhelming, but has their own charms.

Articalys

This month's Newtype character rankings are in, and it's DAL domination:
Guys
1) Shidou Itsuka
2) Eren Jager
3) Sadao Maou
4) Ledo
5) Kyousuke Kousaka
6) Kirito
7) Kira Yamato
8) L-elf Karlstein
9) Syo Kurusu (thanks dakkumauji)
10) Monkey D. Luffy

Girls
1) Tohka Yatogami
2) Mikoto Misaka
3) Mikasa Ackerman
4) Kuroneko
5) Kotori Itsuka
6) Saber
7) Lacus Clyne
8) Yoshino
9) Kirino Kousaka
10) Yuki Mori

edit: also topped the series rankings:
1) Date A Live
2) Attack on Titan
3) Valvrave
4) Yamato 2199
5) Hataraku Maou-sama
6) Railgun S
7) Oreimo S2
8) Utapri 2000%
9) One Piece
10) Yuyushiki

jman2050

Glass Fleet 24

I don't even know how you're going to react to the next two episodes.

"Damn you. Damn you. Why must you treat me this way?" Rachel, just stop. I...I'm at a loss for words. What the hell happened to you? You knew he was a piece of shit. You were right the first time. And the kicker is, he seemingly won her over by telling her in great detail just how much of a piece of shit he was. And now she's asking why he treats her this way. I...why? Just why? "I can't go on like this anymore. Vetti is not himself." YES HE IS GODDAMMIT! Let her go crazy and do something absolutely batshit insane. I don't even care...

Rachel's character is absolutely baffling and her ridiculous development is one of the most prime sources of humor from this show. I've seen this series twice (I know, I know...) and nothing about her makes sense.

Man, I'm disappointed that Silver Spoon is set in a high school. I thought we'd get a couple of "adult" shows this season.

Cmon man my exact description for Silver Spoon a while ago was "High School Harvest Moon", gotta keep up!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
This month's Newtype character rankings are in, and it's DAL domination:

Girls
1) Tohka Yatogami
2) Mikoto Misaka
3) Mikasa Ackerman
4) Kuroneko
5) Kotori Itsuka
6) Saber
7) Lacus Clyne
8) Yoshino
9) Kirino Kousaka
10) Yuki Mori

They have Tohka as #1? Goddamn do Newtype voters have shit taste. Christ.

• Nichijou 02
And we continue with the best show ever made.

I totally watched the music video for the OP. Hyadain is quite the character.
and female singer.

Hahaha I can only imagine what the manga was like. This is so perfect in anime form. Also totally animated flawlessly!

I think I totally recognize the folktale this is making fun of. Something about a goddess asking if a bronze axe belongs to someone and they refuse and then they're asked if its a golden axe and they refuse again -- something along those lines. I totally have it wrong.
Mc2vBSF.png

Nano and the Professor are most definitely my favorite characters in this show so far.

lol what the heck Nichijou Part 7??

The music is spectacular too, full orchestration and everything. It's like Little Witch Academia with even more moe.

Oh my gosh all of this overreaction to everything is just so priceless. Man, this is one of those shows I wish I was an anime watcher to have experienced first time around.

Seriously though, how was this even done in the original manga version? This is so incredible and unique as an anime.

CorvoSol

I wonder what the lowest Kira's ever been.

Does it matter? Kira is ALWAYS on there.

What bothers me is that Kirito is there at all. How does someone who has no character to speak of rank so highly in a character poll?

I bet these people thought the Suguha relationship was something other than stomach crampingly awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom