• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu Episode 2: A solid outing and I like the club president, also for as odd as these girls profess to be, the comedy here is less zany then in other anime. Shit, Servant x Service is more madcap then this show, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing right now. Also, I think I can safely call this a yuri after seeing some of those fantasy sequences.

Servant x service - 02

I think i've found my second comedy anime for the season ( after love lab )

The cast remain strong and the comediy routimes are already in place and quite strong ...

Servant%20x%20Service%20-%2002.jpg

Striker Assist !!

The new character is intresting ..i like the fact that she has her angry sign always on even on regular situations..

• Nichijou 02
And we continue with the best show ever made.

Hahaha I can only imagine what the manga was like. This is so perfect in anime form. Also totally animated flawlessly!

Seriously though, how was this even done in the original manga version? This is so incredible and unique as an anime.

The anime pretty much uses the manga as a storyboard. The adaptation is really damn good. The only differences are parts being switched around and when characters get introduced. So much love went into this anime.

Narag

Does it matter? Kira is ALWAYS on there.

What bothers me is that Kirito is there at all. How does someone who has no character to speak of rank so highly in a character poll?

I bet these people thought the Suguha relationship was something other than stomach crampingly awful.

I'd imagine he has legions of LN fans bolstering it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This month's Newtype character rankings are in, and it's DAL domination:

Guys
1) Shidou Itsuka
2) Eren Jager
3) Sadao Maou
4) Ledo
5) Kyousuke Koudsaka
6) Kirito
7) Kira Yamato
8) L-elf Karlstein
9) Syo Kurusu (thanks dakkumauji)
10) Monkey D. Luffy

Girls
1) Tohka Yatogami
2) Mikoto Misaka
3) Mikasa Ackerman
4) Kuroneko
5) Kotori Itsuka
6) Saber
7) Lacus Clyne
8) Yoshino
9) Kirino Kousaka
10) Yuki Mori

edit: also topped the series rankings:

1) Date A Live
2) Attack on Titan
3) Valvrave
4) Yamato 2199
5) Hataraku Maou-sama
6) Railgun S
7) Oreimo S2
8) Utapri 2000%
9) One Piece
10) Yuyushiki

Kirito is still there? rofl.

Maou-sama power.

UtaPri's guy is Syo Kurusu. Didn't realize he's somehow that popular.

Was sure he was second or third favorite of the UtaPri characters, who wouldnt love him, and his awesome voice in this and lots of other stuff.

L-elf but no Haruto :(

And on the girls side, at least theres Lacus, and Yuki Mori for that Space Battleship Yamato 2199 love.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But its better than Moyashimon!
But do they go to Paris?!

Silvah Spork
rz0jKJvl.jpg

I think this guy was in Fullmetal Alchemist as well.

----

C3-buuuuu
QndNvKJl.jpg

She should have been voiced by Kobayashi. God damn casting companies, what the hell are you doing?!

---
Servant x Service
BI01vQkl.jpg

What an odd Vividred placement. Like, it was a few seconds.
Also, yet another tsundere character. Bleh.

Kwixotik

So I'm watching Kino's Journey and it reminded me how much I love fighting tournaments. What are the best fighting tournament arcs in anime?

Natsume Book of Friends s1 END

Second disc had the best moments of the series fully redeeming the ending episodes of the first seven episodes on disc one and really making this shine. Natori Shuichi is a vital component to the cast and has really cool abilities to match his dazzling good looks. I like how he sticks arounds and lends Natsume a hand as well as even Kaname too, friendship bond moment in 13 was probably the highlight of the whole anime, bringing things together well and getting me to really check out more.

The stories here were compelling
Natsume having the girl in him led to funny moments like when Kitamoto bumped into him and then started blushing at Natsume for that or even Kaname too later on, I was laughing, and then the concluding aspect of the harp. Then the other story there with actually gaining more friends to add to the book was unforgettable.
. It was just really feel good and what not. 9 / 10.

wonzo

Banned
Servant x Service 2

servantxservice2.jpg

This was fairly "serviceable" (heh) until it introduced the little sister character which pretty much flushed down any enthusiasm I had left for the show down the drain. A shame the show itself can't live up to it's great OP and relaxing ED. Dropped.

So I'm watching Kino's Journey and it reminded me how much I love fighting tournaments. What are the best fighting tournament arcs in anime?

Yu Yu Hakusho, Flame of Recca, Hunter x Hunter (in a non-traditional sense), Konjiki no Gash, Shaman King (I have never seen the anime),

I know some people will disagree, but I thought the Chuunin exam was totally solid.

Narag

I know some people will disagree, but I thought the Chuunin exam was totally solid.

I really liked that. There was enough of a hook from ep to ep to keep one engaged. Hell, I really liked Naruto up until the Third Hokage fight vs Orochimaru or shortly thereafter. Watching it until then I was eager to see two top tier ninjas finally have a go and that delivered.

zeroshiki

I really liked that. There was enough of a hook from ep to ep to keep one engaged. Hell, I really liked Naruto up until the Third Hokage fight vs Orochimaru or shortly thereafter. Watching it until then I was eager to see two top tier ninjas finally have a go and that delivered.

You liked watching the monkey hold on to the sword for 2 months?

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 27

Oh man. So many things from this episode to process.

First off, there was that very touching scene between Sakura and Shaoran where they both talked about their love for Yukito and how they both developed their respective crushes on him. Their relationship has come a long way since Shaoran was calling her stupid basically every step of the way, and they really have become friends over their time and mission together. For them both (especially Shaoran) to be so up front with each other about such personal matters was a testament to that.

Second, the relationship between Toya and Ms.Mizuki that Sakura saw when the Return card brought her back in time. Yes, it was indeed a relationship of love, one that ended abruptly when Mizuki went to study abroad. But the interesting reveal here was that Mizuki pointed out Toya's ability to "see what cannot be seen by others." There were of course hints of this; him seeing their mother's ghost in that one episode, him pointing out that Mirror was not Sakura and was not human, and that he's catching on to Kero being more than a plush toy. I'm very interested to see what role he'll play going forward. Does he have a role in all of this.

Oh, and during that scene, Mizuki also mentioned the "catastrophe". Obviously she knows about Sakura and the Clow Cards and all that, but really my question is, just who IS this woman? It's very hard to put a finger on it; on one hand, she really gives off the vibe of a genuinely kind, gentle, good-hearted person. On the other hand, there's this incredibly ominous aura about her, and there have been a number of times ominous music has played around her. Is she good? Is she evil? Is she neither, or both? Very hard to pinpoint at this time. Like Shaoran said though, sometimes scary things don't have scary faces. Maybe she's playing me for a fool. Or maybe she's something of a tragic character. I guess I'll find out.

This really was such a great episode, and the more I watch this show, the more I love it. It's very quickly becoming one of my favorite shows.

Westlo

Typically, for DVD sales to be high enough to provide the possibility of a second series, they have to hit around the 3k mark right? Or was it higher?

3k is pretty weak, you would have to rely on other factors to get a sequel out of that, like Weekly Shounen Sunday's anime blitz was probably the main reasons for TWGOK and Hayate getting more seasons. If a series can move cds, merch, original source it increases the chances quite a bit, though i personally like to see series I enjoy at least get 7k. But 2-5k aint no deathknell, as TWGOK's II 2k sales show, Symphogear S1 only did 5k as well, but TWGOK had the WSS push and Symphogear's sales where decent and I'm sure it sold a fuckload of cds.

Like looking @ Spring season Maou-sama and Yahari should mos def get 2nd seasons but Hentai Price is a bit shaky.

Westlo

I watched it in a day. :( Spread out like you said addresses a bigger problem I didn't think about.

I marathon'd that shit too like 5 years back or maybe more, was still horribly drawn out, and everything else going on around it was better.

Servant x Service 2

That series is better than Doki Doki Precure

F cups are apparently small, and we have a potential ship. All was going well, and then the sister shows up.... and she's a tsun-dried. Confirmed worse character of the cast. This is me halfway through, I don't want to see how much more is here of this sister. Bleh.

Nudull

Banned
C3-bu - 02
T'was cute and funny as usual, and the fanservice is surprisingly light, thankfully. Given my past experiences with Gainax, I'm somewhat shocked that I could actually say that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It seems that the Magical Flowers meta-show will have some kind of recurring role in Servant x Service if the video at the bottom of this page is to be believed.

Seeing Gerbera Pink in this episode kind of freaked me out because I thought that it was a one-off original character drawn by a certain favored artist of mine a few months ago when apparently that particular PV had preceded Servant x Service's debut by a long time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just wait for the third season of Moyashimon which by the looks of second season sales is never happening :(
Indeed. :(

----

Tamayura: MORE AGGRESSIVE 2
tUIDCfjl.jpg

Ganbatte!

Xlp4q25l.jpg

oWH7lKOl.jpg

For me, this is going directly into my veins. So many SatoJun moments. lol

ZuA9n2nl.jpg

And, I guess Maon ended up being the most popular character or something, because they seem to be going out of their way to make her "moe" aggressive.

mTilG1ql.jpg

And, this feels crazy, but yet another new character. That's three so far!

I need more!

It seems that the Magical Flowers meta-show will have some kind of recurring role in Servant x Service if the video at the bottom of this page is to be believed.

Seeing Gerbera Pink in this episode kind of freaked me out because I thought that it was a one-off original character drawn by a certain favored artist of mine a few months ago when apparently that particular PV had preceded Servant x Service's debut by a long time.

Good, gives Toei competition

Morris

Disco Devil
Sailor Moon 158 aka that ep with hot grownup chibiusa
tumblr_mpss3bccWl1qzgkr3o1_500.gif

Suddenly chibiusa turns into the hottest of all the senshi and then pegasus is all bummed out because of it.

How is pegasus not a blatant pedophile?

MikeMyers

http://24.media.tumblr.com/ba889a123086886565fd186af5f031ff/tumblr_mpss3bccWl1qzgkr3o1_500.gif[IMG]
Suddenly chibiusa turns into the hottest of all the senshi and then pegasus is all bummed out because of it.

How is pegasus not a blatant pedophile?[/QUOTE]

Black Lady was hotter.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
tumblr_mpss3bccWl1qzgkr3o1_500.gif

How is pegasus not a blatant pedophile?
He's bummed out because it's fake. Don't cheat to achieve your dreams!

Also, welcome back.

One thing I noticed upon rewatching Rozen Maiden 2 is that while Jun owns a flip phone,

his coworkers at the bookstore both own smartphones.

Keeping Jun technologically behind the times like this is a subtle way of highlighting his isolation from his peers and the world at large. A smartphone is the symbol of instant, ever-present connectivity; denying that symbol to Jun marks him as inwardly focused, lacking any connection with anyone outside himself.
It's appropriate that the only person who contacts him via his phone ends up being himself.

survivor

Banned
  • ミッキーマウス (2013) 01-04
Animation redeemed.

ディズニー has really been on a roll in the past few years.

Beautiful art design, excellent humor and really expressive characters.

Yeah, the shorts have been really fun so far with great and colourful backgrounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom