• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagami

Alongside a thousand other roles one of my favorite things shes done is nukunuku op
I like her singing. I always pick up her albums even when I don't care that much about the anime the songs are from.
And she's pretty much the only reason I blind-bought Mardock Scramble lol

iTpziTgRVJ8x3.jpg

Hattori

Banned
Rambo-chan 2

It's still great, not that I had any doubts. C3 bucho finally makes an appearance, and it was quite a first appearance. Most importantly, I'm now having a dilemma on whether I'm team Sono or team Kari. I'm going to have to watch an episode or two to deliberate on my choice.

Full Metal Panic! Another Volume 4

That was an interesting volume if only for the way it was so clearly divided up. The first half is original FMP! kind of conflict, and the second half is much more like the previous Another volumes. It's a weird juxtaposition that ends up making a single volume feel like two short stories, but I still had a good time with it.

Tatsuya continues to get thrust into real world situations that grind in the whole idea that he's getting farther and farther away from his old life.
After foiling the coup d'état, Tatsuya's a complete mess. They went to the country to help with some AS training exercises, and they're leaving the nation in a total clusterfuck. The moment where he turns to Lina and asks her what the point of all this even was, and she points out the little girl he saved, was a heavy moment. Lina's sort of forced to come to terms with Tatsuya's involvement in all this dirty business, though she clearly isn't happy about it.

But then the second half switches gears entirely, and suddenly Lina and Tatsuya are on their way to Texas to bring
**Mao**
daughter Clara back home. Shit gets better when everybody's favorite mother explains that her little girl is probably chilling with her father, a total jackass.
After getting divorced three times in the past ten or so years, I love that the reasoning is completely stupid. Food related? Seriously? Kurtz. Mao. You guys are fucking adorable AND stupid.

And then of course there was the whole call signs thing that was really small, but left a grin on my face.

I only have one volume left before I'm totally caught up, but shit looks like it's really getting real.
Mao's car went boom boom
. =(

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
QJxzMFi.png

The Count of Monte Cristo 12

"No one can hide when they're pining away for someone they love." You're one to fucking talk, Franz ;)

Anyways, even though Peppo is best girl
I am enjoying Albert and Eugenie realizing their feelings for each other. They've both had some really poignant moment with the "romantic advisors" as they seem. Let's see what they do...

WTF DON'T HUG HER KISS HER YOU FOOL KISS HER ARG
Goddammit Albert you're stupid as fuck son.

Even though you love her we all know who you really love
the Count, of course. Not that I blame you too much because well, he's the motherfucking Count, bitch.

• Tokyo Godfathers
Available on Netflix hooray
Tokyo_Godfathers_%28Movie_Poster%29.jpg

This is the first Satoshi Kon movie I've seen.

Really, an amazing piece of cinema. There aren't too many movies that truly can move me, but this was one of them, for sure. The writing was excellent, the animation was excellent, and the presentation as a whole was close to flawless.

Story
I absolutely loved the characters. Their growth from the start to finish was really an enjoyment to watch, and they really had personalities and stories that most of us can empathize with. I was a little amused when it was revealed
that all three of them really didn't get forced into the homeless situation -- misunderstanding placed them into where they were at the time.
I was really happy seeing all of their individual problems being (mostly) resolved, and they really came off as truly human characters. Not many animes, let alone any film can pull that off. The pacing was really well, and every moment was captivating and not a frame wasted.

Animation
The perfect blend of realism and creativity. At first I was thinking of what the point of making a movie like this anime was, but after seeing the expressions and animation of the characters I understood why. They had just enough realism to their look that it clearly was meant to be taken seriously -- but during scenes with heavy feelings their facial expressions and body language was exaggerated to the point that it emphasized the feeling of the moment. Masterfully done.

Audio
I have mixed feelings about this. The voice acting and sound design was spot on, but I felt the music was a little inappropriate at times. While I'm not asking for orchestration or anything of that sort, I felt like some of it was a little too ... jingle-y? I don't know the word, but sometimes the music was too upbeat for the drama that was going on. However I really enjoyed the abrupt transitions that went on from time to time. That always gets my mind to think "What's about to happen?!" as I hear it.

Besides the cinematography, I think I really enjoyed the message of this movie too. I'm not afraid to admit I'm a religious person, and so a lot of the goings-on resonated with me. While the coincidences that happened in the movie were over exaggerated and played up for the purposes of the story, it still was a really heartwarming story to hear and (if you're the believing type) you could really feel like God was looking out for those characters.

Speaking of religion, I've been a little confused as to the nature of the religiosity of the Japanese. I thought they were somewhere in the ballpark of 75% non-religious? I was just curious because in this (and other anime works) they mention things about "God looking after people" in such a natural way that you'd assume most people were religious. I'm assuming I should be thinking of God and/or Heaven in a Buddhist/Shinto sort of light coming from their background but it seems the Judeo-Christian God isn't all that much of a stretch either.

In any case, this was an excellent movie and will definitely be adding it to the Annual Christmas Movie List.
Tokyo Godfathers receives a score of
10 Sword Art Online's
or
1 Spirited Away's

CorvoSol

QJxzMFi.png

The Count of Monte Cristo 12

"No one can hide when they're pining away for someone they love." You're one to fucking talk, Franz ;)

Anyways, even though Peppo is best girl
I am enjoying Albert and Eugenie realizing their feelings for each other. They've both had some really poignant moment with the "romantic advisors" as they seem. Let's see what they do...

WTF DON'T HUG HER KISS HER YOU FOOL KISS HER ARG
Goddammit Albert you're stupid as fuck son.

Even though you love her we all know who you really love
the Count, of course. Not that I blame you too much because well, he's the motherfucking Count, bitch.

The only person I remember Albert kissing in the entire series is SERIES SPOILERS
The Count.

Rozen Maiden (2013) 2

I've always been a fan of "what if"/alternate reality scenarios, but this is kind of boring so far. I'd feel a lot more invested in the plot if I had some knowledge of the events prior, but I don't want to deal with Peach-Pit's shitty art to get that knowledge.

Oh well, guess I could give it a few more episodes to see if it gets better.

cajunator

Banned
Seiyu names I know: Tomokazu Sugita, Kazuki Yao, Rie Kugimiya, Norio Wakamoto.

That's it.

I can think of several.
megumi hayashibara, chiwa saito, aya hirano, miyukichi, halko momoi, rie kugimiya, chiaki omigawa, kanahana, kana asumi, eri kitamura, norio Wakamoto, jun fukuyama

This month's Newtype character rankings are in, and it's DAL domination:

Guys
1) Shidou Itsuka
2) Eren Jager
3) Sadao Maou
4) Ledo
5) Kyousuke Koudsaka
6) Kirito
7) Kira Yamato
8) L-elf Karlstein
9) Syo Kurusu (thanks dakkumauji)
10) Monkey D. Luffy

Girls
1) Tohka Yatogami
2) Mikoto Misaka
3) Mikasa Ackerman
4) Kuroneko
5) Kotori Itsuka
6) Saber
7) Lacus Clyne
8) Yoshino
9) Kirino Kousaka
10) Yuki Mori

edit: also topped the series rankings:

1) Date A Live
2) Attack on Titan
3) Valvrave
4) Yamato 2199
5) Hataraku Maou-sama
6) Railgun S
7) Oreimo S2
8) Utapri 2000%
9) One Piece
10) Yuyushiki

Lack of Kurumi is sad but like some said this was probably before she showed up.
if shes not tops by next month I will riot.
at least Kirito and asuna had to sit the fuck down.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
QJxzMFi.png

Le Chevalier D'Eon 13

I'M ON A BOAT EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME CAUSE I'M SAILING ON A BOAT

Anyways, welcome to
London
, boys and girls!

Okay I know that you need help in a new land and that a
French ambassador who's also a member of Le Secret du Roi and knew Lia
looks like a good bet on first glance, but remember kids,
Maximilian was part of your little secret club too. Traitors happen, guys. Especially if Durand said Louis called Maximilian a "Knight of uncompromisable loyalty." Yeah, how's that working out, dude?

Oh yeah
see what did I say. We haven't even meet the guy and now we have to see if he's choose Le Secret du Roi or money. My bet is money.

oh god this ambassador is a windbag shut the fuck up

whoa hold the fuck up
did he just change to Lia at will? And her soul is stable when in control? What. How does she have such control now? Up to this point anytime Lia has come out she's be a wrathful, vengeful spirit that D'Eon fights to control and seems to have such a ephemeral presence in his shell. Hmm...

Ah, there's that dynamic I question the lack of presence of a few episodes ago. :dtl, kinda?

oh great
Lia is gaining composure but D'Eon is losing his. OR NOT. OH NO. Wtf is going on!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Going Home Club 2

I guess I'm just easier to please than some people, 'cause I liked this episode. Wasn't laugh out loud funny, but it was enjoyable. Also :sdburton levels at the end were through the roof. :lol

• Fate/Zero 03 - English Dubbery
I wonder why the Type/Moon guys decided to make everyone Greek into a redhead.

TREMBLE AT THE FEET OF PRESIDENT CLINTON, A TRULY FORMIDABLE OPPONENT

Alexander/Rider is totally awesome. Too bad I already know how this ends. >_>

I love Saber's voice in this new dub as opposed to the old Fate/Stay night voice. I wonder what she'll be like in Fate/Kaleid liner.

yami4ct

This is going to be bit OT, but whatever.

If anyone's going to check out Pacific Rim soon, and has a regal near by, would you mind picking me up one of the Regal CInema posters? I'd love to frame it next to my IMAX one, but the only regal in the state is way to far to justify the drive. Give me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

And to make this more on topic, I've watched more Utena. I'll post more complete thoughts later, but damn if the Black Rose saga isn't both amazing and super duper weird.

Narag

This is going to be bit OT, but whatever.

If anyone's going to check out Pacific Rim soon, and has a regal near by, would you mind picking me up one of the Regal CInema posters? I'd love to frame it next to my IMAX one, but the only regal in the state is way to far to justify the drive. Give me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Talk to chickdigger. Dude grabbed a stack.

yami4ct

Man, I can't believe I posted in this thread after seeing the film without giving it my huge endorsement.

Anyone who's a fan of 70's/80's mecha anime, Kaiju films or tokustatsu owes it to themselves to catch Pacific Rim, in IMAX if possible. It's a love letter to all those things.

This month's Newtype character rankings are in, and it's DAL domination:

Guys
1) Shidou Itsuka
2) Eren Jager
3) Sadao Maou
4) Ledo
5) Kyousuke Koudsaka
6) Kirito
7) Kira Yamato
8) L-elf Karlstein
9) Syo Kurusu (thanks dakkumauji)
10) Monkey D. Luffy

Girls
1) Tohka Yatogami
2) Mikoto Misaka
3) Mikasa Ackerman
4) Kuroneko
5) Kotori Itsuka
6) Saber
7) Lacus Clyne
8) Yoshino
9) Kirino Kousaka
10) Yuki Mori

edit: also topped the series rankings:

1) Date A Live
2) Attack on Titan
3) Valvrave
4) Yamato 2199
5) Hataraku Maou-sama
6) Railgun S
7) Oreimo S2
8) Utapri 2000%
9) One Piece
10) Yuyushiki

What in actual fuck is Kirino doing on that list

This is all that is wrong with Japan

iavi

One of my favorites is her collaboration with Shimotsuki Haruka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyq8SbGFCLE

She's ringing me of Natsumi Kiyora with this one, for some reason. I'm liking it, though I'm thinking she's stronger on the somber, atmospheric electronic stuff like the Rozen Maiden ED, so far.

The wind wanted someone to link this for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvFgMtuTrEk

Forgot all about the Sankarea ED. Somebody's become a DEEN favorite, it seems.

yami4ct

What in actual fuck is Kirino doing on that list

This is all that is wrong with Japan

The fact that Jesus Yamato and Lacus still haunt this list shall forever baffle me. Also, Saber and Eren? Really? I though Eren was one of the most universally hated protagonists in recent memory. Saber goes without saying, as she's just terrible.

CorvoSol

The fact that Jesus Yamato and Lacus still haunt this list shall forever baffle me. Also, Saber and Eren? Really? I though Eren was one of the most universally hated protagonists in recent memory. Saber goes without saying, as she's just terrible.

It could be worse.

It could've been Armen.

Nudull

Banned
Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 23

0Hz8Doyl.jpg

This arc is still a snooze even when Handsome appears for like the upteenth time.

Heh. I've actually been trying out the japanese version of the current season on the side, and it's been more pleasant than I expected. I'll probably end up watching it regularly, though I still like the dub. c:

zeroshiki

You guys are complaining about a NewType character poll. Is it a slow news day?

The NewType poll sample is self selected and super small. Only the hardest of the hardcore (and nuts) vote in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom