• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Gatchaman crowds ep 2

Man Hajime is too energetic and cheeful poor Sugune being dragged in. Its gonna be one of those turn his world upside down and fall in love character isn't it?

Jarmel

Banned
To be Renton is to suffer. One of the things I like about Renton, though, is that he manages to be a loser without bowling over into the melodrama and also avoids being Mr. Cool Guy at the same time. I mean, it's all well and good for Kamina and Domon Kasshu to be Mr. Cool Guy, and for Shinji to be Bed Wetting Shinji, but having a guy who's just sort of a guy (and not a Gundam "I am a normal high schooler" guy) is what sets Renton and MSN's Akito Tenkawa apart for me. Which is part of why I didn't like Prince of Darkness, I think. They made Akito all dark and cool, when Akito being cool sort of went against everything his character stood for.

But yeah, Renton has to earn errythang in life.

Well the great thing about E7 is seeing the development of Renton. It's also kinda funny too in that his skills like not even a quarter of the way through the series are already at the top of his field. Before we hit the 15 episode mark and he's like a top 5 pilot in that universe. Instead of focusing on his combat abilities though the show focuses on his character development and repeatedly putting him in the grinder.

It's funny that people were saying Renton is a crybaby or emo when he's pretty much GAR like half the series.

• 太平洋周邊
tumblr_llskirslrl1qb8m44o1_500.jpg

Spoilahs
I totally enjoyed myself in this movie. I was just going nuts with excitement, and I swear I said Otacon's line there at least 5 times during the movie. Wahaha.

Speaking of Otacon, I kept thinking scientist kaiju otaku was totally... Otacon. He probably peed his pants a few times.

Literally the greatest thing this year so far. Out of Hollywood, at least.

太平洋周邊 receives a score of
20,000 Sword Art Onlines Under The Sea
or
1 Gurren Lagann

cnet128

Banned
Does Kiniro Mosaic have anything good going on for it outside of it being very moe and maybe some yuri? Cause if not then I can just keep staring at this gif instead.

It has the fact that it's very very very very very very moe and adorable going for it.

That and hilarious attempts at English.

Accel World 14 (engdub)

Nomi va is perfect for him and this whole opening episode with it is even more entertaining in english language to me.
physical burst and such moments close to the end when hes got both Haru and Chiyu, stunning scene

Fate/Zero 2 ep 1 (engDub)

JYB as Ryuunosuke, really brought that huge scene to life for him in a new way. Third time watching and still just as emotional, strongest link I have with all the characters in the cast.

K episode 2 (engDub)

Minor role. but Kamamoto sounds exactly like I imagined. Though would homra really have ten million yen just to give away, their members are just really out of grade school and the coffee shop. Fortunately even characters in universe questioned this.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Love Lab 03
As the episode came to a close I felt an unusual intensity in my yearning for more. So far I think the through-episode thread of plot has served this series well, as inconsequential as it might be. I hope they're able to keep that up to some extent and don't just kind of resign themselves to wallowing in vague yuri implications.

Also...red might be the best now? Not sure yet.

I've been out of the anime scene this whole year with the exception of watching Flower of Evil. Looking through the list, A Town Where You Live is an anime now? lol. Well, the first half of the manga was actually pretty good... Any of its fans watched it yet? How is it?

tumblr_mq4qcbc3CD1rsyxgco1_500.jpg

Naruto Shippuden 321

Back from filler and almost every scene looks horrible.

Can't really hate too much though since Pierrot have their priorities in the right place and stepped up the animation for Naruto and Hinata's moment.

My friend is literally gonna flip when I tell him that Hajime No Ippo's getting a 3rd season. He's been telling me for the past years how it's gonna come back over and over again, and now it's finally have.

Guess now's a better time then ever then to start watching Hajime No Ippo so I can see what's so good about it too. All I know about it is that the Dempsey Roll is the most coolest thing ever to see a gif of.

CorvoSol

Well the great thing about E7 is seeing the development of Renton. It's also kinda funny too in that his skills like not even a quarter of the way through the series are already at the top of his field. Before we hit the 15 episode mark and he's like a top 5 pilot in that universe. Instead of focusing on his combat abilities though the show focuses on his character development and repeatedly putting him in the grinder.

It's funny that people were saying Renton is a crybaby or emo when he's pretty much GAR like half the series.

I always kinda handwaved away the fact that Renton was so good as the Nirvash being good and also the Nirvash kinda taking a shine to him as Adroc's son/Eureka's chosen. Also it served to do that wonderful part where
Renton acts like an ass because he thinks he's a better pilot than Eureka.

cnet128

Banned
Silver Spoon 2

Hm. When watching the first episode of this, while it was entertaining, I wasn't entirely sure if it was my style, and to be honest I was a little apprehensive that this series would start to drag for me as it went on. I'm happy to say, though, that after this episode I'm feeling it much more. It's somehow just really fun to watch.

Nice to see Hachiken joining the horseriding club...though I winced when he was thinking to himself "just sitting on a horse, this should be pretty easy". There was no way that attitude wasn't going to backfire on him; even I know that horseriding is a lot more physically involved than it looks.

A bonus of the introduction of the horseriding club element is that it means we may now actually have some prominent female characters who are not Tamako >.> The senpai-girl who Hachiken looks up to and who invited him to the club in the first place seems pretty cool (and it looks like he's going to be getting some "quality" time with her next episode), and there's a pretty cute-looking girl among the new first-year club members too.

Oh, and the principal is great XD More of that guy please.

cnet128

Banned
I've been out of the anime scene this whole year with the exception of watching Flower of Evil. Looking through the list, A Town Where You Live is an anime now? lol. Well, the first half of the manga was actually pretty good... Any of its fans watched it yet? How is it?

I don't know the manga, but I checked out the first episode and promptly dropped the series. Wasn't really feeling the narrative, some of the characters' voices felt kind of off, and the general presentation didn't particularly appeal either.

But I wouldn't say it was bad necessarily; I would certainly have considered it worth giving more of a chance if it weren't for the fact that I'm watching so many other series already and was actively looking for something to drop.

EDIT: dammit double post =/ GAIS YOU SHOULD POST FASTER.

santeesioux

Has anyone tried to watch anime on Crackle? I have the app on my Roku and i noticed it had some interesting looking shows on it. I'd assume it's full of commercials though, right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Has anyone tried to watch anime on Crackle? I have the app on my Roku and i noticed it had some interesting looking shows on it. I'd assume it's full of commercials though, right?
I have, a while ago on Xbox. There weren't any ads I remember though, and I seem to remember everything they had being dub-only.

Jarmel

Banned
I always kinda handwaved away the fact that Renton was so good as the Nirvash being good and also the Nirvash kinda taking a shine to him as Adroc's son/Eureka's chosen. Also it served to do that wonderful part where
Renton acts like an ass because he thinks he's a better pilot than Eureka.

While the Nirvash specs when in hyper mode are top tier, Renton is also an insanely good pilot. In ep. 15
Matthieu thought it was Holland at first. One of Holland's friends, who has seen Holland fly and fight so many times, mistakenly thought Holland was piloting the Nirvash. Holland who is a former black ops leader. That says a ton about Renton's skills even in the Nirvash. Even earlier in episode 2, Renton was able to pull off Holland's signature move.

While Renton had the best machine, he knew how to make it sing. That in of itself is talent as well. Look at Eureka, Renton was able to utilize Nirvash better than her.

CorvoSol

While the Nirvash specs when in hyper mode are top tier, Renton is also an insanely good pilot. In ep. 15
Matthieu thought it was Holland at first. One of Holland's friends, who has seen Holland fly and fight so many times, mistakenly thought Holland was piloting the Nirvash. Holland who is a former black ops leader. That says a ton about Renton's skills even in the Nirvash. Even earlier in episode 2, Renton was able to pull off Holland's signature move.

I guess I'd just forgotten this aspect of him. They don't really bother to play it up, especially since the end is more Renton winning on Power of Love than Awesome Skillz.

survivor

Banned
Free! 3
best character!
i2AOuRMB9aVpu.png
Well that was very fun and a good character introduction episode. I really hope the anime keeps up this lighthearted nature and not turn into a crappy melodrama cause whatever little drama between Rin and Haruka in the first episode was awful.

cnet128

Banned

While Renton had the best machine, he knew how to make it sing. That in of itself is talent as well. Look at Eureka, Renton was able to utilize Nirvash better than her.

Renton's skill is powered by SHONEN HAATO and the POWER OF LOVE AND DREAMS. That and the fact that he had a lot of practice "reading the Trapar" with his ref board obsession before ever setting foot in a mech.

Quasar

Yeah. I have on my PS3. These days it seems to have more anime than Netflix. My memory seems to be total crap as I don't remember it being full of adds.

Jarmel

Banned
I guess I'd just forgotten this aspect of him. They don't really bother to play it up, especially since the end is more Renton winning on Power of Love than Awesome Skillz.

Well it's partly because the Nirvash is such a top tier machine and you really don't see Renton pilot anything else. Even without hyper mode though, Renton does tear through pretty much everyone, not named Anemone, like they're paper. Later on, he's also skilled enough to defeat mechs without killing pilots. That's Gundam Seed level piloting right there.

Renton's skill is powered by SHONEN HAATO and the POWER OF LOVE AND DREAMS. That and the fact that he had a lot of practice "reading the Trapar" with his ref board obsession before ever setting foot in a mech.

Well the ref board stuff seemingly does have a direct causation with how well a person pilots a LFO as all the top tier fliers except possibly Dewey, are the best mech pilots as well. Renton already had a ton of experience with ref boards so it does make sense, in the context of that universe, that he would be a good LFO pilot.

Also the people he's hanging out with and fighting against are all cream of the crop for the most part as well, so it makes sense that he would improve/max out his potential.

santeesioux

Yeah. I have on my PS3. These days it seems to have more anime than Netflix. My memory seems to be total crap as I don't remember it being full of adds.

Netflix was really trying with anime for a while, but now most of it is gone and they haven't added anything in a really long time...

Quasar

Netflix was really trying with anime for a while, but now most of it is gone and they haven't added anything in a really long time...

Yeah. I guess no-one watched anime on netflix so they gave up. Which is sad...its actually the main reason why I got into anime, the easy streaming access.

santeesioux

Yeah. I guess no-one watched anime on netflix so they gave up. Which is sad...its actually the main reason why I got into anime, the easy streaming access.

Yeah, i watched Death Note and several other shows i probably never would have thanks to them. You'd think a service as popular as them would have enough people subscribing that are interested in anime.

cajunator

Banned

Vecks

Free! 3

Well that was very fun and a good character introduction episode. I really hope the anime keeps up this lighthearted nature and not turn into a crappy melodrama cause whatever little drama between Rin and Haruka in the first episode was awful.

The teacher is the main reason I watch this show.

Soma

Gatchaman Crowds Episode 2

Man, Hajime is really waltzing that thin line between obnoxious and endearing. It's obvious that she's smart and very self-aware but good lord the combination of her voice actress and the way she treats Sugane and her job is frustrating to watch during some scenes.

The Galax social-networking thing seems really interesting and I'm wondering when all the reliance on that technology is going to backfire on everyone. The new characters introduced seem potentially really cool and more interesting than the one that have been introduced so far.

All in all, this was better than the first episode and still fun for what it is, but definitely not Trapeze nor Mononoke tier so far.

Danganronpa: The Animation Episode 3 Not Normal Arc: Kill and Live
tumblr_mq74djJCda1s2otlho1_500.gif

It felt like a few things were skipped over or just covered way too fast and some scenes just felt out of place. Like Naegi's moments especially whenever it led to (reveal spoiler) this happening with the scene, shattering, etc. Kind of wish they went a different animation route for
the execution of leon by baseballs, weird style change felt odd and like it was ripped straight from a game, they could have added some bells or whistles to it, especially since its not like the other scenes are really animated that intensely. I hadnt been on team leon so I was barely affected. Pink hair thats confiding in and has faith in Naegi, as well as Ishimaru for that faith, ought to be praised. I really cant imagine Ishimaru, Chihiro, Pink Hair, and Naegi to ever even considering performing murder so Im guessing they will ultimately be immune from these trials. The megane girl seems like she will easily break soon and do it.

wonzo

Banned
Gatchaman Crowds really came into it's own in the second episode. Good stuff.

This would've been way better if it just focused on building the robot without the dumb conspiracy theory shit.

LWA manga will be serialized in UltraJump.
Oneshot'd

Behold, the first trailer for the live-action Daily Lives of High School Boys movie:

http://eiga.com/movie/78605/video/
Should've done it with the foreigners like the gag ad for it.

Does Kiniro Mosaic have anything good going on for it outside of it being very moe and maybe some yuri? Cause if not then I can just keep staring at this gif instead.
The glorious Engrish and the insidious undertone of CHEMTRAILS.

survivor

Banned
Kiniro Mosaic 1
Opening the episode with an ugly CG airplane wasn't the best idea.

So in the London trip did Shinobu and Alice understand each other? Shinobu said she doesn't know English so I assume she didn't know anything Alice was saying? And Alice seemed to lack knowledge of Japanese. Did she even understand anything Shinobu was saying outside of "hello"? Is Alice a weaboo? Also how does her mom know fluent Japanese?

Source ripped shamelessly from Wikipedia: this article. The specific relevant lines being:
I see. Well, fortunately they got it off on the right foot by releasing the anime before the game. :)

Well, I feel like it would be awkward to create a perfectly good detective series with supernatural elements and then almost completely omit all detective elements and the main characters' supernatural abilities from the story, which is what the anime essentially did. Particularly since the anime takes for granted that the Milky Holmes girls have done lots of successful detective work in the past and made a name for themselves, but then doesn't show any of that. I think the games' style has its place if only to properly portray the actual detective-ing side of the series for people who want to see it.
I'll address some of this below, but I have to say some other things first. Uh, in this and the below paragraph, you make no mention of either one of my primary complaints about Alternative, and thus, if it really is similar to the games, the games. You don't address either one of these major points at all in your post, in fact! I guess you really don't care at all about either one, huh. Too bad.

To remind you, they are:

1. That Alternative has a harem element to it, through the existence of a male teacher character who all four girls like. I'll explain a bit more about why I have a problem with this. Having this kind of character in the show may fit with the standards of the harem genre, but Milky Holmes (the anime) is many times better than harem garbage, and by adding him in, it drags down the series significantly.

If it was a male character who the girls DON'T have crushes on, such as the male teacher character in the Senran Kagura anime, it'd be okay (that series has a harem setting of sorts, but is very definitely not a harem show!), but going by Alternative, it's very clearly not like that, and that's both very sad, and series-ruiningly stupid. Good shows go in the opposite direction, such as the Koihime Musou animes, which ditch the whole hentai dating/strategy game with male lead thing the games had, in favor of an alternate world where the guy never existed. The result was a vastly superior series than what it would have been otherwise. I really liked the first season of Koihime Musou, and a good part of that was because of how much better they made it compared to the game, by making it much more of a comedy and getting rid of the existence of the terrible has-a-huge-harem player character. Season two went too far with the stupid, but S3 was good fun again. Sometimes making your adaptation NOT like the source material yields better results than the original version had...

2. The plot is FAR too serious. I already explained the motivations of the main villain; there's no way to fit a character like that in a series with characters like the Milky Holmes girls. It's like oil and water, the two do not mix at all. Their character designs and costumes alone make it clear that this is not a serous concept... and yes, I know that there are some animes/mangas which have cute characters but then not-cute contents, but this definitely isn't one of them, and shouldn't be.

I actually thought that a version of Milky Holmes where they did have their powers could be decent; the first episode of S1 of the anime, and the last couple of episodes of both seasons, have some great action in them. A full series like that could be good. I don't think it'd be quite as good as the animes are, honestly, because the comedy really was great and was much more original than yet another action series would have been (more on that below), but it could have been good.

But unfortunately, they didn't do that. Instead, they made it way, WAY too serious. Big mistake. Make an action variant of it, okay, but at least keep a similar general tone! The big problem with Alternative was that they didn't do that.

I know I personally felt a little ripped off when the anime set the girls up as detectives with special powers and then did next to nothing with that setup, even going so far as to pointedly
take away their powers again at the end of the series just after they had recovered them
as if to taunt the viewers with that possibility. The game satisfied my desire to see more of the girls doing what their job description actually states, and while after seeing both I feel lie the anime was probably stronger, I still think both are worthwhile routes for the series to pursue, and it would feel awkward to abandon either.
There are several issues here. First, there are a million shows about characters with superpowers out there. Yet one more isn't likely to stand out. The two new characters aside, isn't Futari wa Milky Holmes more like what you're asking for, a more action-focused series about the Milky Holmes girls with their powers? But the results are bland and generic. A lot of that is because of mediocre execution, for sure, but it also could be partially because that's a fundamentally more generic kind of show, compared to the somewhat unique nature of the first two seasons.

I mean, I don't think I've seen a show before about superheroes who lose their powers, and how tough things get for them after that. Them with their powers always are going to be somewhat generic, I think. But without them? That makes for a unique, and interesting, hook. Your frustration there was the goal, to lead into the original nature of the comedy series behind it. It was the right decision. And anyway, it had a few episodes with them at full power. They were good episodes, but I would not want the whole series to be like that. As great as it was, even the lard-king episode (S2 ep. 11) felt a bit generic at times, in ways that the comedy episodes much more rarely were... and part of what made them good was how long it took for them to get their powers back, anyway.

Now, I do wish that S2 had come up with a better reason for taking away their powers again; I complained quite a bit about the early part of that series, when it aired. But still, it was certainly better than some generic action series would have been. If they can do an action-focused Milky Holmes at the same quality level as the comedy seasons, though, sure, I'll watch it. They haven't done that yet, for sure. It probably is possible, but who knows if it'll ever happen. But what I most want to see is a third season of the comedy. I mean, as I said earlier, it's not like the concept (people with superpowers fighting) is so original, and the genre so empty, that we badly need more shows like that... good comedy animes are harder to find, I think.

...Well, if we want to go that route, may I cast a vote for the OP singles being considered the "original work"? =p <3
Well, a lot of people have called Milky Holmes a seiyuu vehicle... :p

cnet128

Banned
Kiniro Mosaic 1

So in the London trip did Shinobu and Alice understand each other? Shinobu said she doesn't know English so I assume she didn't know anything Alice was saying? And Alice seemed to lack knowledge of Japanese. Did she even understand anything Shinobu was saying outside of "hello"? Is Alice a weaboo? Also how does her mom know fluent Japanese?

Pretty sure neither Shinobu or Alice really know any words of each other's languages besides "konnichiwa/hello" during the homestay flashback. Alice definitely has Japanophile tendencies though (although whether they can match up to Shinobu's massive Westophile tendencies is another matter XD)

I believe Alice's mother is a friend of Shinobu's family, so it makes a certain amount of sense that she speaks Japanese.

Symphogear G 3

Did somebody say "lolis getting touchy-feely in the shower"? Yes please!

Also mmmmmmm based Sugita villain. I don't care if you're a massive walking stereotype, that voice is still delicious.

And now it turns out Maria is
the actual reincarnation of Fine
? Makes a certain amount of sense, since
reincarnating herself into various people's bodies over the centuries is kind of Fine's thing, but NEEDS MORE SAWASHIRO VOICE.

B.O.O.M

Gatchaman crowds Ep. 2

Must be one of the most annoying main characters in any anime..ever. Not sure if I will keep watching this.

Gundam AGE 4

Thought this was going to turn out like that one episode of Stardust Memory where they dual over who gets to pilot the Gundam. Instead, it takes a turn and Woolf ends up being a pretty decent fella. He's not all talk, he's actually a good pilot, manages to remain level-headed in battle, and puts himself at risk in order to protect Flit. Why can't he be the protagonist?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I want to put my nostalgia to the test. I was thinking about rewatching Ronin Warriors but watching the original version with Samurai Troopers.

...But I heard Ronin Warriors was actually better?

prism illya 2

eh... like the fate fanservice and Rin's thighs are still delicious. Card collecting is... ccs ish. Idk show just feels like a :cajun show made by committee. not feeling warmth or anythin.

also the saddest looking clock in anime of recent...

clock.jpg

Brothers Conflict 3
tumblr_mq7ubn2xXB1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Futo goes to my top spot. Its always his character type in these thats gets to me. I would go after him if I were in universe
if Yusuke hadnt barged in even
. Everyone else was alright, kind of lost footing second half but then picked up
with the wedding stuff

ED dance is mesmerizing somehow, song and visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom