• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch Space Brothers, that's all :lol

(╯°□°)╯︵
QM7T4IA.png

I suppose having no interest in the game makes Dangan Ronpa acceptable to me. Besides, Persona 4 will always claim the crown of shitty adaptation to me.

While I probably wouldn't call it good on the whole, the P4 anime did some very interesting things with the story not present in the game, even giving us a brief deconstruction of the silent protagonist.

Danganronpa is just the game, but cut up to the point where certain things don't make sense. In fact, they probably put more effort into deciding on what to cut than actually making the show.

Jarmel

Banned
Prisma Ilya 2-
iDEi9lgJiJEYd.png

Why couldn't the show look like this?
I think my problem with the show is that it lacks a certain dynamism or energy in the scenes. It all feels very lethargic despite certain bits being pretty funny or the action being well animated. Ilya herself is actually a pretty good lead and she seems relatively normal and her reactions are gold. It all feels lifeless and artificial though.
ibvZ2zlRvjPPEd.png

Lolis everywhere
I do think the soundtrack has been pretty decent so far. They played that wonderful track in the PV this episode and it's easily one of my favorites this season.
The show might work better with more main characters added to the show as it might get it the vibrancy the show seems to be missing. I do think this episode was a vast improvement over the first as the comedy really came into play here.

PsionBolt

Nekomonogatari White - 03

So we got this scene (beautifully):
"......Although, now that I had had such intimate contact with the beauty of Karen-chan's body, its muscles tightened by her training, and Tsukihi-chan's lovely and contrastively younger figure, I began to wonder, 'does Araragi-kun always get along with sisters like these?', and could not help but gain something of an understanding into the reason behind his eccentricities."

And as such, all is right with the world.

Also:
"The you in the now and the you hitherto are not unlike the Terminator and Terminator 2."
"That example's very easy to understand, but is it something a vampire like you should use...?"

Nisioisin / 10

Hattori

Banned
A thought: maybe this guys is an alien of the same species of JJ? They both are abnormally tall. It would make sense,
as the villain seems to be in a opposite Gatchman-like team
They must be part of the same alien species, they're both very peculiarly humongous and vampire like. I can't wait to see how this show unfolds in terms of dealing with that^ in particular.

I see a grown up Wapiko!

I finished the first series of Lupin earlier in the year and while I struggle to remember a great number of the episodes from it, this episode and episode 4 are the ones that particularly stand out. While they're not devoid of humour entirely, they feel a lot more substantial than the usual ridiculousness of the series which usually boils down to Plan > Enemy > Fujiko interfering > Triumph > "Success".

I'd like to see your impressions of episode 4 - unless I've missed them.

Must get round to the second season at some point

You didn't miss it, I'm just getting sidetracked trying to catch up with the current shows. I'll get to it sometime today. Same here, I'm planning rewatching Part II. It doesn't have the serious tone of Green Jacket Lupin but the heists and other hijinx are sometimes fascinating.

cnet128

Banned
Well, from the videos I saw, it looked like you had to explore the school in first person though. lol

That's true, you do move around in a full first-person perspective while in the corridors, but I found that worked pretty well, even speaking as someone who isn't a fan of the first-person perspective in general and can't stand first-person shooters etc. It helped to convey the whole claustrophobic nature of the creepy school environment, while at the same time allowing you to become intimately familiar with its layout (which can, of course, be pretty relevant information when thinking about how the mysteries played out). And of course, it helps to keep a consistent "feel" to the presentation of the investigation sections, since the inside of rooms are also in a first-person perspective, adventure-game point-and-click diorama style.

At any rate, the actual first-person moving around is just for getting from place-to-place, and there's the ability to skip travel around the map at any time, so you never have to spend much time in that mode if you don't want to.

Incidentally, you may or may not be interested to know that the second game actually uses the first-person movement much less, since it takes place on a set of tropical islands, and you travel around the islands in third-person on a sort of stylised map screen where you can see your character walking. So for the most part in the second game it's a case of switching between diorama-style environments and the third-person island traversal map. There are only a couple of larger areas where it uses the first-person movement style of the first game to help you get a better feel for the area's layout.

...And as cosmicblizzard has said, while the presentation of the game in general is great, the real standout sections are the trials, which are entirely in third person.

School Days - 10

So yeah, Katsura got raped, and Makoto willingly hooked up with little green-haired girl and that other girl he kissed in the last episode.

iJjtrvV48ldx7.gif

/XX/

duckroll, after seeing your conversation on twitter about Aya Suzuki I searched for previous key animator lists on pamphlets from the latest Studio Ghibli film premieres, in case those could feature only incomplete ones... but examples like this one for The Borrower Arrietty show exactly what appears on the actual credits reel. :-(

Tenumi

Banned
Yeah. I guess no-one watched anime on netflix so they gave up. Which is sad...its actually the main reason why I got into anime, the easy streaming access.

I'm still sad about them removing all of Full Metal Panic before I could watch the second two seasons.

The final box and disc art for Sentai's AKB0048 first season release certainly looks idol-riffic. The disc art is also different between the BD and DVD sets, something I don't think I've seen before from them.

I didn't even know this was licensed! Yet another series to add to my "I'll buy someday" list.

Also, still so glad I watched School Days before I signed up here....

Almost done with the Silver Spoon OT. Just need some ideas for a title. Only thing I can think of is saying "From the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist" to trick get people to click on it.

Day Break Illusion Episode 3 – Voices of Condolence

I feel as if Luna would somehow die over the course of the anime. Though will be surprised if there are no deaths of the arcana. Akari's final blow, stunning

Kiniro Mosaic 3

Oh man this episode...

We got a new English character named Karen, whose a half and half! And she's bold and taller than Alice, this means she's getting jealous of when Karen moves in on her woman Shino (If there's exaggeration in this, it's very slight)

3Htbw.gif

Awwwww yeeeeeeah

Meanwhile more story development for Aya and how she was an innocent lamb. I think she has her waifu in store.

Karen just made things better man.

survivor

Banned
Love Lab 3

Terrible episode. I really hope this is the end of the petty drama shit and the anime will go back to the hijinks of the first episode.

Theonik

Eureka Seven 19

Oh boy. Here it comes.
Screw that ending. Aaaaaaaaa. Eurekaaaaaaaa.
Being Renton trully is suffering of the highest magnitude.
Well at least hair down Eureka is back. Also books.
Holland must have some serious baggage if that wasn't obvious already.
What the hell happened between Holland and Renton's sister? Did he kill her or something? Is that why he's obsessed with the coralians? What are they anyway, assuming his sister is dead and the psychic connection it causes plus his vision on the previous acperience is it a passage to the world beyond? Wakaranai.

:beingrentonissuffering
Feels bad.

sleepykyo

Where was that anime thread that had anime suggestions for people burnt out on/had a poor perception of anime in general? I remember the OP had Monster in it and a show about a 20-something woman just trying to live her life, no fantasy elements at all.

There is Nana who runs off to join her boyfriend, who is attending college in Tokyo.
Then there is Hataraki (/Working) Man, which follows the life of a female journalist.

Dead

well not really...yet
Eureka Seven 19

Screw that ending. Aaaaaaaaa. Eurekaaaaaaaa.
Being Renton trully is suffering of the highest magnitude.
Well at least hair down Eureka is back. Also books.
Holland must have some serious baggage if that wasn't obvious already.
What the hell happened between Holland and Renton's sister? Did he kill her or something? Is that why he's obsessed with the coralians? What are they anyway, assuming his sister is dead and the psychic connection it causes plus his vision on the previous acperience is it a passage to the world beyond? Wakaranai.

Feels bad.
dat link

Step

Day Break Illusion Episode 3 – Voices of Condolence

I feel as if Luna would somehow die over the course of the anime. Though will be surprised if there are no deaths of the arcana. Akari's final blow, stunning

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up sacrificing herself to protect Akari, I'm glad Akari found her anwers but it's sad that even if the Daemonia can talk they know their death is the only way to help them. I want to know what the crow and cat are planning.

http://static.metanorn.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/geneiii-1-650x365.jpg

Also Seira is Boss.

jman2050

Monogatari S2 3

Senjougahara trolling the crap out of Karen was the highlight of this episode for me.

...or at least it was, until
Shinobu and Black Hanekawa's scene. That terminator reference...

jbug617

Banned
Kiniro Mosaic 3

Episode is heavy on the :SDBurton. We get a new character from England and we also get more jealous Alice.
Aya's back story is probably the reason why she and Yoko fit together.

Danganronpa The Animation 03

Haha, it's funny how much stuff looks like it was ripped from the games.

Story's still serviceable. Not knowing what they skipped or glossed over, it does work well enough for me to follow with.

Still rocking that awesome ED too.

School Days - 10

So yeah, Katsura got raped, and Makoto willingly hooked up with little green-haired girl and that other girl he kissed in the last episode.

iJjtrvV48ldx7.gif

Ooooh, another one watching School Days? Seeing the predictable downward spiral never ceases to amuse me
though I'm not sure if I've recovered from mine yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom