• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned
Lupin the Third Part I
Episode 4

It was very excellent episode. It really drove home the serious nature of this series in particular compared to the subsequent Lupin series'. It gave a glimpse into the personalities and motivations of the characters.

The moment were Lupin was seemingly executed by gunfire at the beginning of the episode was pretty graphic. As far as I can remember, that is probably the first and only time Zenigata has ever open fired at Lupin point-blank. Lupin's odd cries for help was very clever, the fact that he had his escape plan thought as he gets in his cell was pure brilliance. Fujiko's several attempts which seemed pretty trivial and seems financially motivated, but in the end she reveals that Lupin is the most important person to her. I thought that was a pretty moving moment, because Fujiko on the outside looks like she doesn't have a care in the world about anything but herself. Zenigata being distraught at losing Lupin, his only motivation in life, was pretty interesting to see. It shows a complex relationship, much like Fujiko's. And back to Lupin's escape, the heart to heart with Jigen was great. It shows that even in the verge of his partner dying, he still respects and remains loyal to Lupin's wishes. This episode shows Lupin's prideful as well as his scornful nature, that fact that he's willing to risk death in order just because he failed and to spite Zenigata for humiliating him.

FNpQIv6.png

8vLWwEz.png

k0YFJqw.png

Narag

Lupin the Third Part I
Episode 4

It was very excellent episode. It really drove home the serious nature of this series in particular compared to the subsequent Lupin series'. It gave a glimpse into the personalities and motivations of the characters.

As imparted to me by Dragoon En Regalia, that's due to the director of the first few episodes (1-7,9, 12). IIRC Masaki Osumi was approaching the show like more adult oriented entertainment so you had these great stories but he was canned ( I think) and Miyazaki/Takahata did the rest. Unfortunately, save for a couple eps, I don't think theirs were as good as Osumi's as they're best described as Saturday morning fare.

cj_iwakura

Steins;Gate (Episode 25)

Loved the final episode. Totally new material to the anime, was great from start to finish. Expected a silly epilogue, had a perfect send-off.

Can't wait for the film.

Only one critique about the anime compared to the VN, the final scene had no chance of living up to THIS.

(Ending spoilers from the VN)
http://i.imgur.com/iLfjGR8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/35wG915.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Xp2uBXn.jpg

But it came damn close, and the dub was phenomenal.

Aizo

Banned
Kaiju (kai-joo; japanese) means Giant Beast
Jaeger (yay-gar; german) means Hunter
----------
パシフイク☆リム

That was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised at how great the movie turned out. Graphically it was amazing, I love the designs of the mechs, they look real nice. The plot however, wasn't something to write home about. It's eh but it gets the job done.This is a great start, I hope we get more anime-inspired movie like this in the future.

h8tKAql.png
h8tKAql.png
h8tKAql.png
sjfDJRR.png
out 5

It's Pacific Rim.

パシフィックリム*

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
As imparted to me by Dragoon En Regalia, that's due to the director of the first few episodes (1-7,9, 12). IIRC Masaki Osumi was approaching the show like more adult oriented entertainment so you had these great stories but he was canned ( I think) and Miyazaki/Takahata did the rest. Unfortunately, save for a couple eps, I don't think theirs were as good as Osumi's as they're best described as Saturday morning fare.
I felt the opposite. While some of the early eps were interesting they were incredibly rough. In the second half the episodes became more polished, more intricate, and had more charm.

Hattori

Banned

hmm... that is very interesting, makes me think what could've been had he been in charge of the Lupin the whole way. Miyazaki got his big break with Cagliostro right? Very interesting indeed. Thank you for sharing that nice info :)

パシフィックリム*

haha thanks, I'll go change it

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I didn't watch much of Lupin III S1, but I will say that I found episode four astonishing. It was a ridiculously ballsy thing to do with a show's main protagonist.

Narag

I felt the opposite. While some of the early eps were interesting they were incredibly rough. In the second half the episodes became more polished, more intricate, and had more charm.

I had complaints about episode 1 & 2 as I recall as I thought they had issues. 4 & 9 are the highpoints of the series for me.I can't really remember details of most of the non-Osumi stuff (save for the ending of Episode 11 which was frigging amazing) as it sort of blurred together in the caper formula that became overused. Looking back at my series impressions, I found them hit or miss. High highs and low lows and all that.

Were it a case of just getting one or the other, I don't think I'd have minded the Miyazaki/Takahata stuff if that's all I got. I just preferred the Osumi stuff more in the end.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 157
There's having a dream and there's having a death wish. I really think this episode should have come with a disclaimer about not trying this stuff at home.

Not sure I buy the whole "oh it's okay for Pegasus-kun to have secrets" when he's basically peering into Chibiusa's room all the time. BUT THE POWER OF BELIEF and stuff.
Hahaha this takes me back.
BARF

HOLY SHIT NEXT EPISODE O:
Psychological. When you give people 10 points to work with they go into school grading mode where the first five are all failing. For some, it's the first seven.
Yeah, but then you start seeing people using decimals and then I get irate because they should be using one hundreds instead of ten point zeroes.

CorvoSol

Suuuuuuuuure. That's what all the people in animes say!

If AnimeGAF is an anime, I sincerely hope there is some poor fool out there who rants online about how much he hates that character who spends his time ranting online.

It is the least the universe could do for me.

Genshiken Nidaime 03

6szekeel.jpg

This definitely was an episode where not having the original seiyuus was hard to get used to.

All kinds of interesting.

Saprol

And thus we get the MALgraph achievement for a mean score of 8.5 or higher:
ernlxeGl.png
That badge is pretty adorable. Good thing Hummingbird has the grossly superior smiley face rating system. Although the last time I updated my status it said I watched 14/13 episodes of a show. Mmm beta software.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is it an abandoned project yet?

Looks like they still tweak what counts for existing achievements but they haven't made any new achievements in a really long time. There are basically a few for genres, a couple for scores, one for number of works watched, and one for watching Boku no Pico.

anime-planet, an old MAL-alike, has way better variety in their achievements.

Narag

Looks like they still tweak what counts for existing achievements but they haven't made any new achievements in a really long time. There are basically a few for genres, a couple for scores, one for number of works watched, and one for watching Boku no Pico.

anime-planet, an old MAL-alike, has way better variety in their achievements.

I'll be content once I max out my GAR cheevo.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, but then you start seeing people using decimals and then I get irate because they should be using one hundreds instead of ten point zeroes.
Halves are ok, but decimals or any other form of high granularity is a crime against nature. Rating something a 87 instead of an 88 has no real meaning.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fear of decimals are why the US is still stuck on Imperial and other such outdated counting methods.

Decimals are good.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fear of decimals are why the US is still stuck on Imperial and other such outdated counting methods.

Decimals are good.
For math, sure, but ratings are a measured quantity and show ratings only have one significant digit. Any higher degree of precision is bogus and inappropriate.

This is in addition to the issues of such numbers being used as a form of communication as I touched on before.

Stay free, haly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For math, sure, but ratings are a measured quantity and show ratings only have one significant digit. Any higher degree of precision is bogus and inappropriate.

This is in addition to the issues of such numbers being used as a form of communication as I touched on before.

Stay free, haly.

What about aggregate ratings?
Real talk: Decimals are shit.

Another one who probably thought Calc 1 was hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom