• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What about aggregate ratings?
Taking one measurement is not the same as taking many. Higher precision seen in aggregates isn't a problem in itself, but aggregation sites leave so many questions open on methodology and sampling that the number produced may not mean much on its own. Furthermore, people then go on sites like metacritic and try to apply such scales to their own ratings, which is not appropriate.

Well, having watched Cuties, it's like a completely different franchise or something. lol

The Taiwanese Hayate where they gender-swapped Isumi made more sense to me than the new animus.

Doesn't help how butchered the anime was. There was a serious arc though, which will never be animated at this rate.

Anyway, there was a gigantic artstyle shift (which is expected for a long running series) but it looks like it's for the worse because it's just a shit ton of reaction faces galore among other things.

Interestingly enough, for a harem comedy, it wasn't very lewd. Unfortunately, the moment I realized that notion, it became more lewd.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Taking one measurement is not the same as taking many. Higher precision seen in aggregates isn't a problem in itself, but aggregation sites leave so many questions open on methodology and sampling that the number produced may not mean much on its own. Furthermore, people then go on sites like metacritic and try to apply such scales to their own ratings, which is not appropriate.

I still think a fruit-based rating system is the best.

I give Monogatari episode 3 four tomatoes and a green apple.

Doesn't help how butchered the anime was. There was a serious arc though, which will never be animated at this rate.

Anyway, there was a gigantic artstyle shift (which is expected for a long running series) but it looks like it's for the worse because it's just a shit ton of reaction faces galore among other things.

Interestingly enough, for a harem comedy, it wasn't very lewd. Unfortunately, the moment I realized that notion, it became more lewd.
I thought Cuties looked better than the last arc with the weird alternate dimension parents anyway.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rottentomatoes has the right idea: state the percentage of reviews that are net positive or net negative, and you get a number which suggests the likelihood of also having a favorable impression. Of course, sampling people who are as willing to trash a movie as laud one is important too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The what now?

I never saw "Can't Take My Eyes off you" so I can't really comment on that. But it's quite the different beast really. Whole lotta triangle mouths these days.
Yeah, that was what the arc was called. Maybe I just got used to the style then, I have no idea.

Rottentomatoes has the right idea: state the percentage of reviews that are net positive or net negative, and you get a number which suggests the likelihood of also having a favorable impression. Of curse, sampling people who are as willing to trash a movie as laud one is important too.
Well, except they also tier their reviewers... which makes you wonder why you would care about what they consider to be "lesser" reviewers in the first place.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Sexy Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 158
woAYlpb.jpg
AS8HUau.jpg
Hype delivered. Satou delivered. And yes, that cold opening was magnificent. It's such a great depiction of the anxieties children go through when looking at the adult world.

Sure, purity of dreams and all, but that doesn't make Helios any less of a pedophile. And don't think I missed out on the symbolism, Mr. Satou. I can see through your machinations.

P.S. Don't say I never do anything for you, Chet.
He was disappointed because Chibiusa wanted to be an adult for the wrong reasons. Pegasus cares about beautiful dreams, and Chibiusa had corrupted hers.
He's bummed out because it's fake. Don't cheat to achieve your dreams!
The way I saw it it seemed less about her cheating and more like it was because Chibiusa had already "achieved" her dream of being an adult. It's not like Chibiusa was in the wrong here, considering it was PallaPalla who got her in that situation.

Narag

Gatchaman '94 1

u4GPW2hl.png
ieOQfQKl.png

One of the adopted visuals.

jfVVV6El.png
y4juqvjl.png

The more things change...

PTax5Cwl.png
hTU3ebpl.png

Always liked Berg Katse's suit in this. Nice nod to the original while indulging in fabulous. I mean, c'mon, there's earrings on the helmet!

SWCS9ZRl.png
GLV6y8Nl.png

Forgot about the equal opportunity fanservice during the character intros. Not shown: Joe brooding in the shower.

xs9MvYkl.png

Most egregious thing was Sosai X being this ugly CG thing.

Good lord, there's a young Fumihiko Tachiki in this. I never realized until I checked the cast list! OVA wasn't as close to the original stuff as I remembered, more doing its own thing while co-opting some older elements or imagery. I mean, the same monster of the week and resolution is present but its role and impetus is far different. Mechanical animation is fab in this as is the action, very exciting stuff. For some reason I'm thinking these are 45 minute eps whereas Casshan's 90s OVAs were 24 which probably explains why they don't feel quite as rushed.

Sailor Moon 27

Things took a turn for the sexy here.

And Mamoru still having jailbait poon. In the meantime, 3rd Dragonball, and its a guy who idolizes Ami. Hey look at that guys, Ami actually had a dude fall into her hands. She's a cut above the rest. Of course leave it to Usagi to distribute photos of her friends to other men.

Anyway, oh my, someone tried to lie to me, but we have a Mercury Moon Upskirt here and Moon gets Another upskirt shortly after. Although that one was caused by Zolsite's winds, that bishi pervert.

I think what was weird for me was that strange rape like dream where he cuts off Ami's clothing, Like damn, I really wasn't expecting this one, in here. In any case, each group now has one Dragonball Rainbow Crystal.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
A rational number is equivalent to the ratio of two integers. pi over pi is 1, so that qualifies, but pi over sqrt(2) does not.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 19

This show is stupid in ways I can't explain. It's awful. Just awful. The whole plot is happening and I don't know or particularly give a fuck why anymore, and at the same time nothing about this show's relationship to E7 has really been brought to light. It's just "kids in mecha fighting an evil bishie wizard."

Worse than that, though, is the way the show just discards shit as it ceases to be important. Truth's shapeshifting ability is utterly forgotten, and the revelation that he is a Secret (NO FUCKING DUH HIS CLOTHES ARE THE SAME FUCKING SCHEME) only complicates things since Secrets can't shapeshift or do like, any of what he does. His motives and goals are nil, and the irritating thing is the way the show keeps pushing that "Secrets/Truth aren't evil" aside from, you know, the millions they've killed unprovoked. This isn't like with the Coralians, who
only killed people because they could not understand humanity and were provoked by Dewey
, the Secrets can even communicate with humans (and did their own psychic communication!) in this episode, and so they only go about killing them . . . because?

It's incredibly inconsistent, and Truth's being a huge baby about everything and having magic powers in a series without magic powers is frustrating. His being a Secret that took on human form is also unwelcome, since
when the Coralians did it with Eureka, Sakuya, and the old man, it was the result of a lot of build up
and here it is just a cheap "OH HEY GAIZ" you'd expect from a shit anime of quality far beneath Eureka Seven's.

At the same time, we're forced to endure 20 episodes of Generation Blue doing literally nothing but meandering and the standard "fighting giant monsters" shit. And robots fighting robots or giant monsters is okay under set circumstances, but as some have pointed out in the Mecha |OT| the true beauty of a giant robot story is that it isn't about a giant robot. The giant robot is an accessory to whatever story IS being told. A good example of this would be Godannar. In that show, the Dannars and Memetic Beasts are as much a stage prop as a horse, ten gallon hat, and revolver are to a Western. Having guys in jeans and squinting in a desert is all well and good, but there are so many Westerns out there that you need to bring more to the table than JUST that to engage an audience. Hell, you can do just that if you want, but then you have to be as good at it as you possibly can so that the audience is impressed by that.

And on that front we're not getting anything. Generation Blue is just running around fighting Secrets in battles that aren't particularly interesting, even if they're well animated. Nobody is even getting cooler weapons.

Speaking of, this nonsense about Christophe Blanc using the Quartz to develop a new secret weapon is the most hilarious bullshit. Not simply because the audience knows better, but because we ALL SEE Ao carrying a giant ass lump of Quartz and it magically transforming into a gun. That on its own is dumb, but the fact that this happens in full view of various parties with advanced machinery capable of proving otherwise, let alone the array of satellites that could've and should've gotten a shot of that, is just plain dumb as hell.

Then there's Naru. What the fuck is Naru even doing? She just like, zens the fuck around on a chunk of Coral and we're all supposed to be like "OH, Naru, you're so mystical like those mystical characters from Eureka Seven were! Look at you with your Elven dorsal bones!" Except like, Naru has all the importance of that fucking Sloth on the plot now.

And at the same time we have Elena. She's kinda cute but also really fucking grating and a wonderful example of what is wrong with the plot lines in the show. Elena when she's doing cute things like teasing Fleur is fine, and an acceptable part of the show. Elena when she's referencing comics/manga/anime has basically become US GAMERS GUYS, HUH? US GAMERS. But worse still is that there was this entire set up about Elena being not Elena and also being but not being a singer and exposing stuff beneath Gen Blue. But instead Elena even confesses to murder to Fleur and rather than being like "WHOA YOU KILLED DUDES?" Fleur is like "WHOA TEENAGE DRAMA GO". And any aspect of the several plot lines tangled up in Elena have long since been shoved aside. Maybe they'll get answered later, but for now they're straight up ignored.

At times this show feels like it had potential. At times it seems like it could've been its own thing with unnecessary cameos from Eureka Seven. And at other times it is just this hilariously hurtful load of bullshit. I don't know if anyone out there liked this show, it tends to be the case where I trash a shit anime and somebody else liked it and takes it personally, but seriously, this show is just so guh.

It isn't worse than Gundam 00 or Rah Xephon, but it is more frustrating for its attachment to a series I loved.

trejo

Dawg Days Season 2

More moe animal waifus color-coded for your convenience!

Funny that in my search for a salve to repair the damage caused by the latest Berserk movie I ended up picking this show back up for the very same reasons I dropped it at the time. Those being that it's difficult to get engaged with the show when you know that there's never really an element of risk involved during the various battles and skirmishes given that they are very much just a simple game show, canonically. And even when out of the game show element you never really get a sense of the characters being in any real danger at any point because they all pretty much have master-grade plot armor. Good thing, then, that that's precisely what I wanted out of this show this time around. A bunch of friends get together to shoot the shit and have fun and you get to have fun with them. That's it. The journey is literally just a vacation for the main characters and you get to go along for the ride and watch them have fun and be adorable while doing so and sometimes that in itself is fine enough.

Because life is good. And fun things are fun. Happy.

Griffith you motherfucker.

˅˅˅˅ YES!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom