• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I've been out of the anime loop for a LONG time now. I think the last full series I watched was Soul Eater. Anyways due to a friends recommendation I've started watching Attack on Titan and Valrave The Liberator. I'm really enjoying both, especially Valrave because I love mechs. I think I'm back into anime.

Welcome back to the horde!

Tenumi

Banned
HenNeko: 10

wAlTpWB.jpg

Something Something Magical Girls
Not really, but this suddenly took a turn for the interesting. Still an adorable looking series.

Metrotab

Banned
What's the first day any of the new summer shows start airing? So I know when to clear my watchlist.

Also, that new thread smell.

This is the style of all the episode title cards in the show:

I don't like the chintzy CG used for the borders or the cutesy drawing style in the image itself.

I used a convenient shorthand to express "cute but obnoxious"--I obviously haven't watched the source material for the actual expression "uguu~" but it evokes the same feeling in me, although I understand that I'm sure there are people in this thread and elsewhere who like both this style and to each their own.

This is usually what people mean when they say Uguu~
Tsdrxea.jpg

Though I get what you mean now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Stump, you do realize you are trapped here right? It is now your duty to give out anime-gaf tags.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This is usually what people mean when they say Uguu~
http://i.imgur.com/Tsdrxea.jpg[IMG]
Though I get what you mean now.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://gallery.fanserviceftw.com/_images/42607cb6ea070ea48b970b83113ba145/6648%20-%20hawaii%20kanon%20kawaii%20moe%20pun%20tsukimiya_ayu%20uguu.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I would describe that as "girly" more than anything else, myself.

In keeping with what Jexhius said yesterday about the purpose of deformation in shoujo works, I'd agree. "Chibi" and "deformed" characters are also simply a convenient way for artists to caricature their own characters or exaggerate their foibles.

I think it's the case that "uguu" means different things to people inside and outside of the fandom; I appreciate that Stump doesn't automatically equate it with the entirety of "moe" or "deformed" art, but to me personally, rather than implying "obnoxious", it's more an implication of creative bankruptcy or, at the very least, art that echoes the mass-produced Visual Novel style of the 00s. The original "Am I kawaii? uguu~" meme was actually mocking how hideous KEY character designs are.

Metrotab

Banned
I always think it's interesting that the first instance of "uguu~" (namely, Kanon's Ayu) was noted to be infantile and silly in-universe. That aspect somehow got lost in its memetic spread. It's meant to be ridiculous.

This is her, btw:

kanon-3.jpg

EDIT: better pic

cnet128

Banned
When the tropical storms start rollin in like freight trains I know its summer.
I will miss Yuyushiki immensely.

Sad as I am that Yuyushiki is leaving us, we are getting Kin'iro Mosaic, Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku and Love Lab in the new Summer season. I feel confident that at least one of them will be up to the task of filling that void.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If Stump can create a usergroup whose only special ability it the ability to tag, I promise to use it judiciously and never outside of this thread.

cajunator

Banned
I always think it's interesting that the first instance of "uguu~" (namely, Kanon's Ayu) was noted to be infantile and silly in-universe. That aspect somehow got lost in its memetic spread. It's meant to be ridiculous.

This is her, btw:

kanon-3.jpg

EDIT: better pic

Yeah pretty much in Kanon itself they make fun of uguu and give that girl hell about it.

Sad as I am that Yuyushiki is leaving us, we are getting Kin'iro Mosaic, Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku and Love Lab in the new Summer season. I feel confident that at least one of them will be up to the task of filling that void.

I see squee people!

cnet128

Banned
If Stump can create a usergroup whose only special ability it the ability to tag, I promise to use it judiciously and never outside of this thread.

Stump doesn't like cute. I don't think he's cut out to be a mascot character giving out special powers.

And the Power to Tag is beyond anything any mahou shoujo has ever wielded.

Uchouten Kazoku
Gatchaman Crowds
Genshiken Nidaime
Monogatari s2
C3-Bu
Wagamote
Tamayura s2
Silver Spoon
Servant X Service - judging from the PVs, MC seems interesting enough, might be a pleasant surprise

What a horrible Spring anime season we just went through... Lots of promising anime this Summer! Only good shows will probably be Gatchaman, Monogatari and Uchouten Kazoku though (if it has similar themes to Tatami Galaxy I'll be ecstatic).

Dang it, I've got to get around to finishing Little Busters sometime. Put it on hold around episode 9 or so when it was airing. Is it really worth watching?

Yes and no. There's like, zero romance in this season, so if you're hoping for something like that there is none. Also, if you've seen the other Key shows, it pretty much lifts some character archetypes wholesale from the others.

It's like Clannad S1 with less romance but funnier. I really enjoyed it though, and I'm wholeheartedly looking forward to next season.

Edit: Holy shoot I've watched enough anime now to tell people whether or not to watch something

Metrotab

Banned
The beauty about Key-face lies in its expressive abilities, which is important in a medium that has only static imagery to work with. The eyes are intensified in order to fill up for the lack of body language and emotive motions.

And seeing those big eyes all happy in some CG's is immensely cute.

Jex

Eden of the East 02 Melancholy Monday

Review

This was another sort of in-between episode. Still not much happening, still just sort of teasing us about what is yet to come. I'm glad that the show takes place in the real world because it gives a really good political basis to work from--the sense of global unease in the Post-9/11 period mirroring the unease in Japanese politics in the same time period--for future episodes. I suspect Saki's brother-in-law's business will play a role, because that info dump was too big for it not to.

The relationship between Saki and Akira seems good, although I have no idea why she isn't the least bit curious or inquisitive about the fact that he apparently has the incredibly rare total retrograde amnesia despite having no injury.

We'll see how it goes.
I remember how much hope I had for the series at this point. I think they do a relatively good job of pacing out the major story beats but I seem to recall it being a little slow at the beginning. However, it has been years since I watched it.

cajunator

Banned
The beauty about Key-face lies in its expressive abilities, which is important in a medium that has only static imagery to work with. The eyes are intensified in order to fill up for the lack of body language and emotive motions.

And seeing those big eyes all happy in some CG's is immensely cute.

Some giant eyed characters are adorable, like Tohru honda and Mitsuki from Full Moon.

Is this meant to be a derp face or for reals?

Pretty sure its edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom