• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I don't like the chintzy CG used for the borders or the cutesy drawing style in the image itself.

I used a convenient shorthand to express "cute but obnoxious"--I obviously haven't watched the source material for the actual expression "uguu~" but it evokes the same feeling in me, although I understand that I'm sure there are people in this thread and elsewhere who like both this style and to each their own.

Ah yes, I had forgotten those. They're just kind of generic deformed/cute character designs. It's part of that uncomfortable and unsuccessful mixing of a grounded thriller show that's supposed to appeal to girls, but in the laziest way possible. There's no real attempt at interesting stylisation, it's just kind of lazy.

zzz....GAH! The Spring Thread's over! Aw crap! Time to see what's goin on in the sum-

This is usually what people mean when they say Uguu~
Tsdrxea.jpg

I knew I should have continued sleeping. By the way, "Uguu" ain't got nothin' on acchonburike!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Henneko 11

Nope. Still zero idea what the hell is going on. Final episode next week has a LOT of explaining to do if it's going to make any sense out of all this.

Here's what will happen: It's going to turn out that Tsukiko's mother makes a dying wish to the cat god for her daughters' memories to be altered so that they remember her fondly. This will also somehow affect Yokodera so that he doesn't remember her.

Aiura 12

Man...I teared up a bit when they started playing the ED theme right at the beginning of the episode. ;_; Farewell, Aiura. I'll be hoping that they pull a Nyarko with you and bring you back as a full series.

Shergal

Umasou has more action scenes, but the character animation during just about every scene of Nobita's Dinosaur looks great, even those without action.

The action scenes in Nobita are much more polished and striking, but to be fair they're aiming for different things. Umasou is not as stylized, but it has some great choreography and pretty solid movement too.

Jex

[Girls und Panzer] - Special No.6

This had more animation in 12 minutes than Attack on Titan has had in three episodes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I want to make a list but I'm too lazyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Frees SIlver Genshikengatari

Jex

The action scenes in Nobita are much more polished and striking, but to be fair they're aiming for different things. Umasou is not as stylized, but it has some great choreography and pretty solid movement too.

I can certainly agree with that. The action sequences in Umsaou resemble actual choreographed fight scenes between characters that just happen to be gigantic dinosaurs.

Now, the first time I addressed this convention, in 2011, I was a younger poster — (laughter) — a junior candidate from ANN who spoke about uguu~, not blind moe, not wishful thinking, but uguu~ in the face of difficulty, uguu~ in the face of uncertainty, that dogged faith in the hnnng which has pushed this nation forward even when the odds are great, even when the road is long.

Two years later that hope has been tested by the cost of product, by one of the worst economic crises in history and by licencing gridlocks that have left us wondering whether it's still even possible to tackle the challenges of our time. I know campaigns can seem small, even silly sometimes.

Trivial things become big distractions. Serious issues become sound bites. The truth gets buried under an avalanche of :wonzo and PreCure. And if you're sick of hearing me approve this message, believe me, so am I. (Laughter, cheers, applause.)

But when all is said and done, when you pick up that ballot, you will face the clearest choice of any time in a generation. (Cheers.) Over the next few years big decisions will be made in AnimeGAF on :Chet, :DTL, :Cajun, :Firehawk, :SDBurton — decisions that will have a huge impact on our lives and on our children's lives for decades to come.

We don't turn back. We leave no one behind. (Cheers.) We pull each other up. (Cheers, applause.) We draw strength from our victories. (Cheers, applause.) And we learn from our mistakes. But we keep our eyes fixed on that distant horizon knowing that providence is with us and that we are surely blessed to be citizens of the greatest nation on earth.

I can certainly agree with that. The action sequences in Umsaou resemble actual choreographed fight scenes between characters that just happen to be gigantic dinosaurs.

The dinosaurs in Nobita's Dinosaur are more like, well, dinosaurs in the "realistic" sense, while the dinosaurs in You Are Umasou are talking animals in the classic Disney sense.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
HYPE

Danganronpa
Free!
Gatchaman Crowds

Will Try

Blood Lad
Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou
Kanetsugu & Keiji
Silver Spoon
Uchoten Kazoku

Shameful HYPE

Monogatari S2

Only trying because of the studio/staff

Brothers' Conflict

Just Plain Shame

Love Lab
Watamote

I guess it has a meganekko

Servant x Service

Hatewatch

Symphogear S2

Speaking of this.
Heh, I might be able to give tags now, but there's still only one tag that I actually like giving ;)
and this.
But when all is said and done, when you pick up that ballot, you will face the clearest choice of any time in a generation. (Cheers.) Over the next few years big decisions will be made in AnimeGAF on :Chet, :DTL, :Cajun, :Firehawk, :SDBurton — decisions that will have a huge impact on our lives and on our children's lives for decades to come.

I would think it would benefit our community if those how have mock smiley tags should have tags to help those on the outside understand what people mean when they post them. Like how firehawk's tag is now explains what his means, but there are many out there that do not know the joys of :chet or :corvo etc.

Or not.

Soma

oh hey summer is back

What I'm looking forward to in the new season:

Silver Spoon
The manga is one of the most charming and comedic things I've read in a long time so I'm hoping the anime adaption can at least do it justice.
-Monogatari S2
I don't have particularly high hopes for this but nonetheless I'm looking forward to more adventures from creepy Araragi and his weird harem.
Danganronpa
The game and character designs look interesting enough but the director at the helm has me cautiously optimistic.
Gatchaman Crowds
I never watched "C" so I guess I'm just hoping that this isn't going to be as bad as everyone tells me "C" is.

aaaaaaaaaand that's about it for me unless there happens to be a surprise hit this season.

Shergal

Duckroll posted it in the previous thread, but I thought the animated segments on Mitsuyo Miyazaki's A Better Tomorrow were pretty good. It has a hell of a line-up, with Bahi JD, Atsuko Fukushima, Satoru Utsunomiya, Jamie Vickers, Yasuhiro Aoki and even Morimoto himself doing key animation.

The short itself didn't strike me as particularly interesting, especially because I was expecting something a bit more contemplative and subdued after the initial minutes. But at least it had some neat sakuga. Here is Bahi's work on the short. Have a gif.
tumblr_moyl0dMDbO1qanw3wo2_r1_400.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura is going to be watched by like 3 people, right?
:firehawk

Yaoishiken will probably be an unwatched show as well. lol

CorvoSol

It was a great thread. with great memories.

FUCK SAO.

This and "GODDAMN R2" are what I take away from that thread.

Code:
[B]cajunator 	1,066[/B]
Kirbyguy 	927
[B]CorvoSol 	717[/B]
Regulus Tera 	703
Hitokage 	614
Mad Pierrot 	516
Theonik 	462
wonzo 	435
Chet Rippo 	427
firehawk12 	414
R_thanatos 	408
ZachDeKoromaru 	399
peaceiscloser 	398
Branduil 	379
Jexhius 	367
FelixOrion 	344
Dedication Through Light 	323
hosannainexcelsis 	312
kayos90 	309
Narag 	307
chickdigger802 	303
dakkumauji 	282
Basileus777 	280
cnet128 	270
Syrinx 	270
Dresden 	260
Hattori 	258
zeroshiki 	258
jgminto 	238
fertygo 	237
SDBurton 	221
Lavalamp1138 	216
Kurita 	197
Kincaido 	195
Pyscho_Mantis 	193
BGBW 	187
cosmicblizzard 	183
KuwabaraTheMan 	180
Awful Falafel 	155
Seraphis Cain 	151
Articalys 	148
Thoraxes 	147
RurouniZel 	139
7Th 	139
Mature 	130
nintendoman58 	126
Jintor 	125
duckroll 	123
Ultimadrago 	123
jbug617 	120
Metrotab 	116
Save 'N Quit 	114
trejo 	113
yami4ct 	111
Haly 	109
survivor 	109
Tenumi 	106
Tamerlane 	106
June 	105
OceanBlue 	102

Enjoy

FUCK YOU KIRBY GUY. I was almost second place! I have climbed the ranks like an ascendant star of holy fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually its just Summer Break and yeah.

Still, THIRD PLACE WHAT WHAT WHAT

:KG = nothing

This and "GODDAMN R2" are what I take away from that thread.

FUCK YOU KIRBY GUY. I was almost second place! I have climbed the ranks like an ascendant star of holy fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually its just Summer Break and yeah.

Still, THIRD PLACE WHAT WHAT WHAT

Fuck me? I'll make a shrine for you in ACNL if that's what you want?

About Precure...

If I never watched any of the series before, should I start with the first to get the best experience, or is one of the later seasons better in such a way that I should start with that?

Well it really depends. You should try maybe the first episode of each and see what sticks for you. In my case, I tried watching Futari wa like twice and never getting anywhere. Then my friend Midonin got me into watching Smile weekly (the week I caught up was the super robot episode and it was GLORIOUS). Since then, I decided to give Futari wa a chance again and I actually got through it. However, the order I watched the series is odd:

Smile > Futari wa > Splash Star > Heartcatch > Suite > Max Heart > Fresh > Yes 5 > Go Go

And of course I'm watching Dokidoki weekly with my friends Midonin and Bikkun (I really need to drag him back here to post. >.>)

how do yall survive the summer heat? Don't think the AC is working well in my room, and 3 monitors and a pc really does raise room temp :S

1 window fan and 1 swervy fan.

hmmmm....

Well there's working ACs in almost every room in the house for me, but I usually stay in the kitchen with my desk fan. Small, but effective.

It was a great thread. with great memories.

FUCK SAO.

Hahahahahahahaha. I find that it's easier to write impressions for something I think is awful, only because if I actually like something I end up gushing about it and that's not fun to read every time.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be more consistent this time. I'm so wishy washy sometimes!

You have a W avatar. I like you.

Why is he paired mostly with the blond?
Why WOULDN'T he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom