• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hoshi no Umi no Amuri (Amuri in Star Ocean) 1

What the fuck am I even watching?

-A girl who bounces off of things
-A thing called Uterus that, uh...does...things?
-A talking baby thing?
-Air...candy?
-Suddenly yuri!
-A trash satellite
-Some kind of sentai...or something?
-Giant cakes

hf5MY2k.jpg

EDIT: I'm still not done with the episode...and shit just keeps getting weirder...more random accidental yuri, explosions, bamboo spaceships...and the tone of the show is all over the place...I don't even. Oh and did I mention that it's CG? 'Cause it's CG. It kinda looks like a slightly better looking MMD. Or something. I don't even know anymore. What the hell am I watching.

EDIT2: WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Defuser

Gargantia ep 13 END
HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Best show of the season and possibly AOTY.

RIP Sugita bot :*( the best character in the series. Manliest and the most broest robot ever. We will never forget you. *Salutes*

Jarmel

Banned
Maou-sama 13-

This really was an amazingly adapted as I doubt the source material is anywhere near the quality of the show. The direction was on point and everything worked. The finale played it low-key but it felt like a natural progression of the show. This is probably the best work White Fox has done on an artistic level, Steins;Gate was great for the writing. Just the execution was pretty much flawless throughout the show and very consistent. I'm really impressed as I had little to no expectations going into the show and they knocked it out of the ballpark.

Need sequel please.

Jex

[Gargantia] - Finale

I'd be considerably more interested in a show that takes place after the finale of this series than anything we got in the second half of the season.

/XX/

I forgot all about the Advanced!
Very powerful as it is, so imagine what the T/D would have been on regular online matches... Totally Games sure acknowledged it:

SPECDESC.TXT said:
*TIE Defender (T/D)
Sienar Fleet Systems
Empire
Advanced space superiority fighter. This craft is too powerful to be put in this simulation. Dream on, fanboy!
http://pastebin.com/SVGQcH6u

Maybe there's a secret plot twist where the character is actually a 50 year old dude trapped in the body of a younger man, then his voice would make sense! (lol)
I keep picturing an old man narrating to his grandchildren this story while doing all by himself the voices and sound effects accompanied by an old gramophone that keeps playing along the mono channel soundtrack. Mr. Anno's "not forced" voice acting would be fitting in that case, don't you think?

I think that is a person bonded in a crucified manner at the center of a cross-shaped and clean-cut rock cavity formation that a very extreme 'fisheye lens' perspective at Ryūko's ground level deforms. Isn't that enough symbolism already? :-D

In fact, those kind of crosses on negative space from rock or concrete remind me more of certain structures we saw at the GeoFront & Tokyo-3.

Tanken Driland Sennen no Mahou 02

Zn26a51l.jpg

Backstory, silly faces, more backstories. I am decently interested in what they are going to do now since they are getting tossed into the villains lair so early.

Narag

Gargantia 9

aaaa

Y'know, I fully expected the Hideauze to be aliens preserving Earth in an attempt to prevent humanity returning or something similar. Didn't expect divergent species.
Seing Ledo finally react to Chamber's innate brutality was a long time coming too. I suppose it's in response of his own developing humanity.

Theonik

Gargantia 13
More well done action this episode. The ending was pretty predictable.
I had envisioned Chamber's sacrifice to the T episodes ago.
Overall I thought the show was good though I preferred the downtime to the actual action episodes considerably and I really hope the OVAs focus on the post show events.

Gargantia Fin

Great conclusion to a great series, Chamber's conclusion that
Ledo was "no longer fit to be a soldier
really sealed the deal and brought everything full circle.

Tenumi

Banned
It's gonna get Precure'd. :(

Cure Moon... That doesn't actually sound terrible
but please don't happen!

Gargantia: 11 & 12

That... actually wasn't terrible. The series has redeemed itself a bit to me. It was really feeling weak compared to the start of the series, but now
characters are actually using their minds and acting how they should, instead of acting... well, off compared to how I thought they would given plot movements.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gargantia 13

What a really great last episode.

Love this show to death. Would absolutely love a 2nd season that was completely slice of life style.

Ledo x Amy was completed in such a sweet way. Chamber was a boss.

Only travesty is that Pinion didn't die smh

BluWacky

Well, the only reason to do a new Sailor Moon is to cash in on nostalgia.

At least they're actually (apparently) doing a full-on new series, rather than the sporadic sprucing up that Dragonball Z got. With that said, Sailormoon still doesn't look particularly dated; I'm really not sure what the new series can add to the franchise, it's not like Hunter X Hunter where there's more story to adapt. If it runs as far as Stars I suppose they could do a more faithful adaptation, but who knows?

Maybe we'll see the next generation of Ikuharas/Igarashis with this show. But then I still feel like Ikuhara and his ilk have barely scratched the surface of what they're capable of, and I don't really have faith in the current staff at Toei to pull something off like that.

Garantia 13

Pretty great conclusion for the series even if it was extremely predictable. Would love to see more of this world post events of the show.

Thoraxes

Gargantia - 13 END

That was way fucking better than the buildup. What an episode. While I can't ignore the faults of what lead up to this ending, I am overall pleased with how the show turned out.

Also, thank you based Butch.

And Pinion,
grats on the 4some bro. You get her sex slaves too.

Chamber ;___________________;

I would be down for a second season of this.

Also big thanks to Hanaharu Naruko for reasons you can probably guess why i'm pleased. No, MORE than pleased.

And Ledo,
grats on the sex bro.

Gargantia -13 END

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMBEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRR!

All right, now that I got that out of my system, I have to say; this was brilliant.

The show had it's ups and downs, but it ultimately redeems whatever faults it had with that ending. It relieved a soldier of his duty to constantly fight. Now he can live like a regular human being.

But Chamber man, I thought someone was going to go because Urobuchi wrote this episode, but dammit the only badass AI Mecha protagonist I've ever seen in an anime ending up sacrificing himself dying really pisses me off. But then again, Ledo still has his communication thing on him and that little tidbit he mentions kinda hints that a part of him is still around. But that's up for the audience to decide.
Whatever. Show was still brilliant, and is one of my favourites.

Theonik

I can't believe he didn't hook up with brown loli.

Brown Loli and Rackage fighting for Pinion is definitely a subplot for S2

He deserves neither
Brownloli is too good for him yeah. That scene with them together saddened me.
Rackage sucks so she's a good match for him.
I hope Brownloli shows up on the OVAs and shuns Pineon.

cnet128

Banned
Cure Moon... That doesn't actually sound terrible
but please don't happen!

Cure Bright has already got the moon-themed Precure position covered, though!

HenNeko 12 END

Pretty satisfying last episode. Still slightly annoyed that Mini-Tsukiko refused to smile for, like, the entirety of her appearance. But the revelation that
Yokodera gave up all his memories of the past forever to the Cat so that they could be transferred to people who really need them
definitely seemed to tie up the series pretty conclusively. I'm sure there's more antics to come that may or may not be adapted at some point, but this felt like a great place to stop.

Also, pure speculation, but I find myself wondering if there's a loophole in Yokodera's wish.
Since he wished for all his memories to be transferred to the people who need them most, could it not be the case that if and when he finds a memory that he really values, he'll be able to keep it, because he himself is the person who needs it most?
Just a thought that occurred to me when him and Tsukiko were talking about the possibility of
him forgetting all about her someday

At least they're actually (apparently) doing a full-on new series, rather than the sporadic sprucing up that Dragonball Z got. With that said, Sailormoon still doesn't look particularly dated; I'm really not sure what the new series can add to the franchise, it's not like Hunter X Hunter where there's more story to adapt. If it runs as far as Stars I suppose they could do a more faithful adaptation, but who knows?

In the scant bits of information people gave on Twitter, it seems like it is, or at least at one time was supposed to hue more faithfully to the manga. But it doesn't seem like the production team has a clear handle on what to do with the material, hence the long silence. At this point I question whether the show will end up coming out at all.

Maybe we'll see the next generation of Ikuharas/Igarashis with this show. But then I still feel like Ikuhara and his ilk have barely scratched the surface of what they're capable of, and I don't really have faith in the current staff at Toei to pull something off like that.

It'd be interesting if Rie Matsumoto directed it, but apparently she already left Toei.

Shergal

Gargantia 13
It was considerably better than the episodes preceding it, but I guess that's expected of a finale.
This time the art and scenery was much nicer to look at, and it had some pretty cool shots. I thought the action was also much better than in the previous episode
dat circus

I guess the show was okay. I was expecting more tbh, especially after the early episodes and some of the director's comments regarding the animation, but at the end it's still above average for TV so I can't complain much. Never quite cared about the story or characters, perhaps a 2-cour show with more fleshing out would have been nicer.

Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 22

emg6whtl.jpg

This episode we spend 22 minutes figuring out how to unclog Pignite's nose.

Oh there was also some Colorless, Team Rocket, Team Plasma stuff going on but whatever.

/XX/

Less than two hours to end the successful financing for Otaking's GAINAX MAG #02 crowd-funding project (I personally want to show gratitude to you guys in case someone that read this post ended up contributing). The thing is this is something every fan of the studio will benefit from, as it means budget that (apart from printing costs and such related expenses) will be used to cover for the translation of new interviews with interesting information to be read by all, on their website or wherever.

And there is still time left to get the proper magazine too!

The World God Only Knows - Episode 8-11

So the next episode will be the finale for me. Keima had to go through a whole bunch of twists and turns too
capture the student teacher
. Also I need to see more of that Nikaido teacher, she was pretty funny and she looked nice too. Though that one scene with her kinda made me happy that this show isn't ecchi, makes it more light-hearted and nice.

I don't know why but Keima is the only main character I know that is outstanding only because he never
develops past his gaming problem to make the story develop
. This is one of the first anime's I've seen do this and pull it off (which i personally love) very well. I'm just glad he's not your stereotypical character that has that one moment then all of a sudden
they are totally different
. I applaud them for this.

cnet128

Banned
Shingeki no Kyojin 13

Hey, things actually happened in this episode!

It's okay though. To make up for it, nothing will happen next week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maou-sama 13-

This really was an amazingly adapted as I doubt the source material is anywhere near the quality of the show. The direction was on point and everything worked. The finale played it low-key but it felt like a natural progression of the show. This is probably the best work White Fox has done on an artistic level, Steins;Gate was great for the writing. Just the execution was pretty much flawless throughout the show and very consistent. I'm really impressed as I had little to no expectations going into the show and they knocked it out of the ballpark.

Need sequel please.

Considering the pacing they took for this season (1 season = 2 books), they have 3 more seasons worth of material to work with. I really hope they go with it, I don't want this to turn into another Spice and Wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom