• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Episode 17

Guess Ill try to finish these set of episodes today to round out end of season time. Enjoyable episode and even suspenseful there with XO Sanada...
Completely thought we'd have our first actual crew death. The way the backstory was done with his bestfriendship with Mamoru Kodai and unspoken feelings before he went off was sweet, and almost like they wanted to confess to one another (Niima had even been broken up with anyway). Thought back to the actual plot and not my headcanon, what would happen to one if exposed to neutrons, would they actually vaporize like that?

I would like the Dessler plot to seek resolution soon, it is rather compelling to see both sides face some type of internal disputes thought of different levels of seriousness.
What is Ditz and Gimleh even up too? Poor Domel. If I was a Gamillian I would be concerned more about the Yamato than trying to attain command of the empire...

Theonik

Gokicha ONA 02
iZrh8kNskOtaV.png
iyMzBnLufLKn2.png

iAMdl5Wh4Ai9N.png
ibsGPfVQGAJX94.png

Dat Rie Kugimiya
Reading the manga is such a superior experience, except that you then miss out on the Rie Kugimiya voices. Such a shame. I suppose this sort of production value is common for ONAs

cajunator

Banned
Gokicha ONA 02

Reading the manga is such a superior experience, except that you then miss out on the Rie Kugimiya voices. Such a shame. I suppose this sort of production value is common for ONAs

I saw the first one. It was pretty adorable. so theres a second now? Will watch.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aku no Hana fin
LKT14x5l.jpg

No, don't be sorry. I embrace the shit eating future.

It's insane. For an episode where literally nothing happens, the tension hangs in the air like the most suspenseful horror film ever made. The opening scene is five god damn minutes long, and unlike Attack on Titan which uses five minutes to recap the show in order to fill time, each second of those five minutes feels so purposeful and exacting. Even the placement of the OP is such a perfect beat, because it differs the release of that tension for a further 90 seconds, before we get an extremely powerful and beautiful release.

Then we get a god damn
flashback montage that spills into a preview montage, culminating with the biggest event from the manga and ending with quite possibly the most exciting cliffhanger title card that I've seen in ages.
Spoiler but not really: http://i.imgur.com/mQMLfspl.jpg

I just can't believe it. I talk about adaptations that are slavish to the manga and don't take their medium into account. Aku no Hana just spits in the face of most anime adaptations, playing with the form and using it to tell the story in the way that is best for 20 minute television. Each episode feels like a masterpiece, culminating in a thirteen episode series that is just glorious.

If there are people who dropped this because of the rotoscoping or whatever, then I'm sorry. They missed out on what is basically the Hyouka of this season year.

But Aku no Hana was really good.

Narag

Gargantia 6

Well this was pleasant. After all the hometown screengrabs when this first aired, I worried the show went off the deep end but it seems there was another attempt to sort of integrate the fanservicey stuff within the confines of the show. I can somewhat understand why it's there (and arguably why not?) but I'm glad the show didn't lose focus.

Really like the slow integration of Ledo into their society as well. Something very satisfying about it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Huh. I didn't realize up to now what a great cast Neptunia has. Rie Tanaka, Asami Imai, Kana Asumi, Rina Satou, Kana Ueda, Yui Horie, Eri Kitamura, and Yui Ogura? Damn. If I wasn't already down for this show, I would be now.

Theonik

Huh. I didn't realize up to now what a great cast Neptunia has. Rie Tanaka, Asami Imai, Kana Asumi, Rina Satou, Kana Ueda, Yui Horie, Eri Kitamura, and Yui Ogura? Damn. If I wasn't already down for this show, I would be now.
So glad we're getting this and not JoJo.

Tenumi

Banned
Muromi-San: 13 (End)

So glad I listened to the reaction from everyone here and picked this one up early in the season. It was a great short time waster, with mostly consistent hits comedy-wise, and an enjoyable array of characters. Thanks Everyone!

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Episode 18
yamato_by_tristtrist-d6bciko.gif

Giving time and attention to the other crew members and some development for them has turned out to be one of the more memorable aspects of the aspect. Shinohara had and has an interesting past and personality so his little bit and the action it gave was a nice refreshing moment from the main six or so.

Though I wanted resolution and I got resolution, that was excellent.
Goer must be recognized for his personality and deed, my favorite of the Gamillians, and Dessler too. Zoellik when he saw the reveal and getting all flustered was hilarious.

Enjoyed the action and the plan and the explosions as usual.
The wave motion cannon going and everyone bracing for it, the presentation made it look more than the typical anime in terms of visuals. I was impressed

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Usagi Drop Specials 1-4

Huh, didn't even know these existed. Wonder if I'm missing any other OVAs/specials from other stuff I've watched.

Anyway, these were great, as expected. Especially 3 and 4. And it's funny how these 4-5 minute shorts made me smile more than just about anything I've watched in a long time. But I guess that's what Usagi Drop is. Just one of the happiest shows ever.

The manga doesn't exist the manga doesn't exist the manga doesn't exist

Narag

Gargantia 7

Great snap back to Ledo's actual reality with all that work spent integrating him into Gargantia wiped away in one quick act born from his conditioning. Liked the appropriation of sailor superstition for this too.

Gargantia 13 (end)

Why couldnt the whole anime have been like this. It was so good, intense, explosive, and fast. Everything in the air was so exciting.
Even the neuroconnection stuff and how it made me think Ledo would really sacrifice his whole life for all of Gargantia and what not. I do think the Chamber ejecting him and what not was kind of dumb and unnecessary though, but it is a nonhuman, so its lose was just ungood. I love Ledo's outfit there at the end, finally sporting fitting clothes for Gargantia.

7 / 10 anime, Nothing could really live up to the first eleven minutes of the anime until the final episode, and there was quite a bit of questionable choice in content and delivery of it. I would have liked a bit more archaeology shared and actual mecha fights that werent with worker yanboros. Cast was pretty weak in design as well, only could actually get behind Ledo, Bebel, the one operator-kun too (darker skin tone). May buy if its dubbed potentially.

Jarmel

Banned
Maou-sama 12-

This show is so much better than it has any right to be. They did a wonderful job of balancing action and comedy. The characters also feel very natural which is surprising considering their backgrounds.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
To darkside, a block of tofu and boners are the same thing.

Dude loves his tofu.

Thoraxes

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 6

...I can't even begin to fathom the amount of hilarity in this episode. There's just no words. The trolling, the fanservice, the reactions, it was all brilliant comedy. That censorship joke man...That friggin' censorship joke.

I don't even know what else to say, this episode was just one big barrage of awesome comedy fanservice, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

So this world is ruled by this Spiral King dude. Can't wait to see what he looks like.

Hey it's that guy from episode 3! So wait, who is he again? I honestly forgot his name. I don't know if that was intentional from the writers. Introduce a villain and have him disappear for three episodes and have the characters forget about him along with the audience. Nice.

Oh man.

The World God Only Knows S2 - Episodes 5-7

So I'm glad episode 6 helped relieve one of my cons of the show, that almost none of the
girls he capture ever get in the story again. So glad the 1st capture came back, even if it was for a few seconds.
Also on episode 7 I can't believe Keima
captured her like that. She put him in the friendzone and he still captured her, I guess he really is the visual novel king.

This show is just getting better and better and I can't wait for the next episodes. If the show stays good I can't wait for season 3, heck I might even start reading the manga if its good enough.

Also, why is chibi Elsie so adorable, I couldn't help myself laughing everytime she went in chibi mode.

probably why I like the manga better because Elsie is 90% in chibi mode :D

Thoraxes

The World God Only Knows S2 - Episodes 5-7

So I'm glad episode 6 helped relieve one of my cons of the show, that almost none of the
girls he capture ever get in the story again. So glad the 1st capture came back, even if it was for a few seconds.
Also on episode 7 I can't believe Keima
captured her like that. She put him in the friendzone and he still captured her, I guess he really is the visual novel king.

This show is just getting better and better and I can't wait for the next episodes. If the show stays good I can't wait for season 3, heck I might even start reading the manga if its good enough.

Also, why is chibi Elsie so adorable, I couldn't help myself laughing everytime she went in chibi mode.

The first season was good enough to get me to keep up with the manga, and hell, I don't really consider myself as someone who really does. I enjoyed it that much. Also with regards to your one complaint... S3 practically
revolves around
that for spoilerly reasons I would rather not tell you about, depending on how much they adapt.

Narag

Gargantia 8

Another good one as society threatens to break apart. Actual episodes are flying by. Feels good to be invested into something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom