• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shingeki no Kyojin 13

Hey, things actually happened in this episode!

It's okay though. To make up for it, nothing will happen next week.

I was hyped the whole episode to see the characters back to doing what they do best, and advancing the story. Then it all went down when I saw the preview for the next episode :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hoshi no Umi no Amuri 2

Well...the visuals certainly are nicer than I'd given them credit for initially. I still don't know what to make of the show, though...it's definitely a mahou shojou show. And it's pretty lewd, all things considered. Yunque's transformed form is...um...wearing disturbingly little
especially for a loli
. And it was a little bit unsettling seeing Amuri
getting knocked around so brutally
Also, :sdburton levels are pretty high here...and now a
colony drop
?! Is this Gundam all of a sudden? What the shiiiiiiiiit.

I really can't even tell if this show is genuinely amazing or absolutely ridiculous. I really can't.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Gargantia] 13

Not that I didn't like the aerial battle, but a
full-blown war
was not the kind of finale I was expecting from this show.

I probably wouldn't say no to a second season, but it didn't connect with me on any level. The slice of life stuff was cute, but not enough for me to care about any of the characters, and the less we talk about the mecha portions the better. That said, it was a very well-put together show, and it didn't irritate me as much as other crap this season. 3 out of 5 Chambers?

Jex

[Attack on Titan] - 13

You know, it's pretty easy to poke fun at all the scenes where the animation obviously wasn't finished but considering that I actually enjoyed the episode I don't feel like swinging for the low hanging fruit. Now, when I say that I enjoyed the episode that doesn't mean that I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread or even on part with the worst Gargantia episode but surprisingly enough when the pacing isn't completely shot to pieces the show is a lot better.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hoshi no Umi no Amuri 3 -END-

VeoWfm9.jpg

Things certainly got really dark really quick, goddamn.
It was especially unsettling seeing the girls bleeding from their eyes and mouth as their powers were being forcibly used to guide the colony drop towards Earth. Then they broke out of it by...singing? Then another Adapter showed up and there's about 10 minutes there where I have zero idea what the hell happened. All I know is that the words "Miracle Burger" were involved somehow, and then the Earth split in half and then rejoined or something. Then Amuri beats the Char expy to death right in front of his daughter and nobody seems to care, not even his daughter. Then we end with a beach scene because apparently there hasn't been enough fanservice crammed into three episodes yet.

In short, I have no idea what just happened or what I just watched. I really, really need someone else to watch this and tell me if it was actually good or not, because I seriously can't even

EDIT: Did I mention this show has symmetrical docking? Because it has symmetrical docking. (Probably NSFW)

cnet128

Banned
OreImo. 13 END (sort of)

That was actually a really nice episode. Helps that it was entirely focused around best girl. And largely in loli-mode, too! Can't complain.

That said, it seems we're continuing to diverge heavily from how things were presented in the LNs, where we got both Kirino's side of this story and Kyousuke's side of the story together in roughly chronological order. I can see how just showing Kirino's side of the story for now makes things simpler and easier to digest, but I just hope they're not going to leave out Kyousuke's side entirely. Mostly because it introduces a character who I really like, and the story surrounding her is pretty nice too. Also Manami deserves her chance to shine (though she did get a pretty nice moment in this episode!)

But there are still a full three episodes left, so I'll give A-1 the benefit of the doubt for now and assume that they're going to cover all that properly in due time. For now, I think this was a pretty satisfying episode to finish the TV part of this season on. Not exactly what I'd call a proper season finale, but that's okay, since it's not really supposed to be. Now we just have to deal with the excruciating wait of a month and a half before the actual finale.

Is Accel World any good?

Yes, despite the fact that DTL is advocating it, it's actually a really nice series. Watch it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
OreImo. 13 END (sort of)

That was actually a really nice episode. Helps that it was entirely focused around best girl. And largely in loli-mode, too! Can't complain.
Yes, despite the fact that DTL is advocating it...
5szWYGe.png

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If it were really :gainax, they would have bludgeoned you to death on how blunt their symbolism is.

Actually, look at the negative space there. It's an upside-down cross. 3deep5u

Hoshi no Umi no Amuri (Amuri in Star Ocean) 1

With an endorsement like that, I pretty much have to give this a shot.

Which reminds me, I have fears of New Sailor Moon being.... not as sexy because it's current day Toei/Modern animation

Toei obliges Oda's ever-ballooning tittay sizes in his female characters in One Piece so, I assume, it all depends on the show.

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san Z 13

dKLvhLhl.jpg

Haha, that ending. That's why I love this show. And I finally get the Z.

A little weak in some parts but I still loved the whole thing.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 8

That
kiss from Yoko to Kamina
came out of nowhere. I mean, this whole time they
were hinting at her getting with Simon, but I guess she did it because deep down she looked up to him?
Well it certainly didn't
help Simon at all. I mean talk about crushing.

Yes! Epic battle time! Now merge with that awesome thing and claim it as-

What the fuck.

No.

No.

FUCKING NO!

NONONONONONONONONONONO!

WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHWYHYWWHYWHYYYYYYYY?!!?!?!?!?

trejo

Aku no Hana fin

If there are people who dropped this because of the rotoscoping or whatever, then I'm sorry. They missed out on what is basically the Hyouka of this season year.

You could not have possibly picked better words to make sure I never, ever in a million years touch this with a ten foot pole lol.

That
kiss from Yoko to Kamina
were hinting at her getting with Simon, but I guess she did it because deep down she looked up to him?
Well it certainly didn't

What the fuck.

No.

No.

FUCKING NO!

NONONONONONONONONONONO!

Maybe the most shocking anime episode I have ever watched. Couldn't believe it either.

Well Hyouka is a good comparison if you want to say a show is great.

It's a great comparison, because the detailed, careful attention paid to visual and sound design and direction in Aku no Hana reminds me of no other show like Hyouka. Not to mention the focused character development (even more focused in Aku no Hana).

That
kiss from Yoko to Kamina
Well it certainly didn't

What the fuck.

No.

No.

FUCKING NO!

NONONONONONONONONONONO!

The fact that I did not know of this moment until I watched it a few years later was quite surprising, yet still heartbreaking

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's a great comparison, because the detailed, careful attention paid to visual and sound design and direction in Aku no Hana reminds me of no other show like Hyouka. Not to mention the focused character development (even more focused in Aku no Hana).
I like Aku No Hana but I am not sure I would describe its visual design as being careful and detailed. Every episode you could build at least one dodecagon with all those cut corners.

cajunator

Banned
Huh. I didn't realize up to now what a great cast Neptunia has. Rie Tanaka, Asami Imai, Kana Asumi, Rina Satou, Kana Ueda, Yui Horie, Eri Kitamura, and Yui Ogura? Damn. If I wasn't already down for this show, I would be now.

missing a few notables but overall a great lineup!

What? hmmm...thats a stretch...

Illustration by Trigger animator Mai Yoneyama.

Toei/Trigger partnership for Sailor Moon 2014?
lol

I would be ok with this!
Isnt there another magical witch girl project in the works by someone? What was that?

It's gonna get Precure'd. :(

:(

Wow, I didn't know Donyatsu was getting an anime.

A cat bagel thing voiced by Keiji Fujiwara, I am ready.

What the actual fuck? what the non-actual fuck? what the fuck in general?

Sheeeeeeit . . . that's like the Great Gatsby of stamp collecting.

See now Great Gatsby is really good. Fuck Citizen Kane but Gatsby is the stuff.

Tenumi

Banned
Cure Bright has already got the moon-themed Precure position covered, though!

Not to mention that Cure Mooooooonlight has the Moon name covered. Don't know how I forgot about her.

Sorry, I laughed everytime she transformed because of how much she drew that out.

cnet128

Banned
Aku no Hana 13 END

I feel like I'm saying this a lot lately, but...second series WHEN.

Honestly, this did feel like a really good end to the series, and the atmosphere was godly as all fuck, but at the same time it kind of kills me that I know there's more to this story - this episode even gave us what looked like glimpses of it - and I don't know whether there's going to be a continuation to cover all that.

On the one hand, the fact that the episode ended with
"Part 1 Fin"
could certainly be seen as an indication that there are plans to make more. On the other hand, it could just be an acknowledgement that this is only the beginning of the story. The fact that they went out of their way to animate, however briefly, moments from future parts of the series kind of feels like a sign that they're not planning to cover that material in full (similar to the final episode of Crime Edge, though comparing this series to that one feels strange and wrong).

Either way, I don't think I'm going to look into the manga for the time being. If there is a second series at some point, I want to be able to go into it fresh, and even if there isn't, I don't think the manga could give me nearly as much satisfaction as the anime has, so perhaps it's best to just consider this an open ending and leave it at that.

Because open-ended or not, it was a glorious final episode.

Aku no Hana, you will be missed.

Aku no Hana 13 END

I feel like I'm saying this a lot lately, but...second series WHEN.

Honestly, this did feel like a really good end to the series, and the atmosphere was godly as all fuck, but at the same time it kind of kills me that I know there's more to this story - this episode even gave us what looked like glimpses of it - and I don't know whether there's going to be a continuation to cover all that.

I think we can say, both due to the end of this episode (
and think how much trouble it would be to film those future scene snippets if they weren't filming the entire scenes with intent to use them
) and due to Studio Pablo listing another TV series production with ZEXCS to air summer 2014, that a second season is highly likely.

Chronoexe

That
kiss from Yoko to Kamina
Well it certainly didn't

What the fuck.

No.

No.

FUCKING NO!

NONONONONONONONONONONO!

My heart broke at the same time as Simon.

But now the best part of Tengen Toppa is going to begin. enjoy

otp Yoko Simon ;_____;

cnet128

Banned
I think we can say, both due to the end of this episode (
and think how much trouble it would be to film those future scene snippets if they weren't filming the entire scenes with intent to use them
) and due to Studio Pablo listing another TV series production with ZEXCS to air summer 2014, that a second season is highly likely.

That sounds promising =D

You could not have possibly picked better words to make sure I never, ever in a million years touch this with a ten foot pole lol.

Hyouka and Aku no Hana are similar in the fact they are both extremely well made and directed shows. Plot wise though they are nothing a like.

jman2050

People who unfairly labelled Hyouka as a "hipster anime" can look no further than Aku no Hana to see what a true hipster anime is.

I'm only partially kidding...

cajunator

Banned
I'll wait for the inevitable anime adaptation: 12 Angry Lolis.

Would watch.

Hoshi no Umi no Amuri 3 -END-

VeoWfm9.jpg

Things certainly got really dark really quick, goddamn.
It was especially unsettling seeing the girls bleeding from their eyes and mouth as their powers were being forcibly used to guide the colony drop towards Earth. Then they broke out of it by...singing? Then another Adapter showed up and there's about 10 minutes there where I have zero idea what the hell happened. All I know is that the words "Miracle Burger" were involved somehow, and then the Earth split in half and then rejoined or something. Then Amuri beats the Char expy to death right in front of his daughter and nobody seems to care, not even his daughter. Then we end with a beach scene because apparently there hasn't been enough fanservice crammed into three episodes yet.

In short, I have no idea what just happened or what I just watched. I really, really need someone else to watch this and tell me if it was actually good or not, because I seriously can't even

EDIT: Did I mention this show has symmetrical docking? Because it has symmetrical docking. (Probably NSFW)

Ok what is this? Its cute. I wanna see it.

Is Accel World any good?

Its pretty good. mostly because of Kuroyukihime, toilets, and sky Raker. Its bad because Haru is a whiny fucker and there an annoying girl in it everybody wishes would disappear. There is a crazy loli though and the main character turns into a cute pig so overall its cool.

One of the best OSTs released last year.

Yes definitely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom