• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who unfairly labelled Hyouka as a "hipster anime" can look no further than Aku no Hana to see what a true hipster anime is.

I'm only partially kidding...

Looks like a hipster to me:

2NE4Diy.jpg

jgminto

Gargantia 13 End
That was a great finale. The show didn't deliver on its full potential but it was entertaining, even when extremely predictable. Would love to see a second season.
RIP Chamber. Ultimate Robro.

cnet128

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 86

Trainingu trainingu~

Also new character introductions~

Not much in the way of action this episode, but the arc is progressing nicely. Enjoyable as ever.

In preparation for the inevitable SAO S2

wyYe2N4.png

It's okay if they're really just cousins though!

I have no problem with it even if they're actual siblings

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nyaruko fin
2kcTji4l.jpg

:Kagami

Well, I'll miss Asami's voice if nothing else. NIISHIISHIISHIIISHIIIII~~~~~.

---

Gargantia fin
Yeah, that ended. I still think the show shouldn't have gone all stupid at the end and kept it focused on Chamber x Ledo. The show was just more interesting when it didn't try to pretend to be some gigantic thing with world and galaxy shattering consequences.

And it's not like I have a problem with people incessantly talking to each other in order to set up the easy binaries for the audience, but why are people just standing there when it happens?

Well, maybe the two extra episodes will be completely divorced from any of the metanarrative.

The Hentai Prince and the Stoned Cat End

Again, this is about as much closure as you can expect out of the show, though I wasn't expecting things to progress so far in terms of relationships. Some heavy and heartwarming stuff, which I guess is par for the course for the last few episodes of these kinds of shows.

If I can say one positive thing about this show, it's that it was unpredictable pretty much the entire way through. The premise seemed to shift often, starting out as Liar Liar and eventually drifting into 50 First Dates, with a bunch of random stuff in between. Still, it worked, and it made for an entertaining show that made me look forward to it each week.

So yeah, not an amazing series that sets out to redefine the rules of the harem genre, but it does enough things differently and in an entertaining way that I'd still call it one of the stand-out shows of the genre. For some reason, it also helped that the protagonist looked like a side character.

I'd watch a second season of this.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 8

That
kiss from Yoko to Kamina
came out of nowhere. I mean, this whole time they
were hinting at her getting with Simon, but I guess she did it because deep down she looked up to him?
Well it certainly didn't
help Simon at all. I mean talk about crushing.

Yes! Epic battle time! Now merge with that awesome thing and claim it as-

What the fuck.

No.

No.

FUCKING NO!

NONONONONONONONONONONO!

WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHWYHYWWHYWHYYYYYYYY?!!?!?!?!?

I was spoiled ahead of time for this, and I wasn't even ready for it.

Andrew J.

Don't ask me. I'm not going to comment on the rule itself, just letting you guys know so you can avoid sudden bannings.

I'm sure it's mostly targeting people that use it for threadshitting. If you're making commentary on an ongoing anime it should be fine, I would imagine.

Theonik

Dat docking.

Made a couple practice images before doing something major. They're pretty rough though
image.php

I'm sure it's mostly targeting people that use it for threadshitting. If you're making commentary on an ongoing anime it should be fine, I would imagine.
Try it. We'll make sure your sacrifice is not in vain.

This upcoming Summer season is the loli season?
Every season is the season of loli.

cnet128

Banned
Are you gearing up for the loli future?

A glorious future it shall be!

Future ?

How about the present ?

And a glorious present!

Suisei no Gargantia 13 END

Or as the series should really be named,
The Chronicles of Chamber, Who Is Too Awesome To Live

Great finale. All the arguing between the two mechs was wonderful. I liked the way their difference of opinion was justified as
the judgement of an AI being directly influenced by the pilot it supports. It seems like a good way to explain how Chamber is so totally on Ledo's side while Striker is so completely on the opposite side despite the fact that they're both supposedly just tools of the same system. In the end, these AIs are too advanced to be simple machines governed by absolute rules and regulations; they're people too, able to grow and learn with their assigned partners, and to form their own interpretations of the rules and tenets they're designed to follow.

Also, Ledo and Amy
should totally have kissed in that last scene
. Just putting that out there.

Theonik

スキヤキ ウェスタン ジャンゴ
The Citizen Kane of westerns. This was pretty 'amazing'. So many things rolled into one glued together with melted cheese. In such a bizarre fashion that if it was meant to be a trainwreck it is impossible to tell and laughing is pretty much the only option.
Bizarre humour aside the work is amplified by instances of pretty bad, well everything really, to create a pile of dumb that is hard not be entertained by. It also often goes in places that even The Rapeman would be afraid to tread which is surprising, while such scenes were so over the top I have a hard time discerning how much it was the intention for them to be that way.

Narag

スキヤキ ウェスタン ジャンゴ
The Citizen Kane of westerns. This was pretty 'amazing'. So many things rolled into one glued together with melted cheese. In such a bizarre fashion that if it was meant to be a trainwreck it is impossible to tell and laughing is pretty much the only option.

I should give this a shot sometime too.

Thanks for posting these. I've had fun reading your impressions! :D I rather love the show. ^_^

Oh hey, someone reads my impressions :D

Looks like its time to move on to the next series!
  • Hyouka 01
F0yYfCZ.png

Ah yes, joining a club. This set up and introduction is reminding me of the first episode of SNAFU. Or maybe SNAFU is just wishing it was Hyouka?

Praise our CG overlords!

Chitanda Eru-erufu's voice is adorable. I hope this doesn't end up biting me in the butt. And Satoshi Ketchum seems cool so far.

This watercolor look is pretty cool. I wonder if it'll crop up again later in the series.

Oh man, I love mysteries. I hope this show delivers!

Kagami

There is no way this pillow will fit.

I've had that problem.
My first character head-pillow case I got was Mugi from K-ON!, and with her, my pillow slid in smoothly, but later when I got the Strike Witches backstory-manga "Sakamoto Mio 12-years-old version" case, my pillow was too big to fit inside her.

Narag

Gargantia 10

Opening was nice what with the whole
blood on Chamber's hands is the same as blood on Ledo's
. Even when stuff its immediately obvious, it's till nice to get things. :lol :(

Lost tech recovery and the ineptitude using it reminded me a lot of Turn A Gundam

Liked that ending reveal too. Not that should I compare the ending stuff to Attack on Titan but the Gargantia eps feel like they possess far more surprise and intrigue wiht a fraction of the shock value that Titan relies on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom